3 mos old losing her hair - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-08-2008, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all

So my 3 mos old, who was born with a nice full head of hair, is now losing her hair! I'm not talking about the infamous bald spot from all that sleeping on her back, I mean her hair seems to falling out on everything - in the sling, on the boppy, on our sheets at night. Basically any place her head comes in contact with clothe.

Is this normal? Should I worry? I havent taken her to see the ped because she seems to be growing and eating well and I expect some flack about our choice to delay vaxing.

btw, her scalp looks fine. She has a few little red spots, but nothing serious.
#2 of 17 Old 02-08-2008, 09:49 PM

Some babies are born with different hair that falls out. The little boy I nannied for went through this. All his black hair fell out and he ended up blonde! It's all right, it'll grow back.

(I couldn't help but pick at his hair as it fell out... that's probably not a good idea...)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#3 of 17 Old 02-08-2008, 10:01 PM

DS is losing his hair, too. I hear it's no big deal. I kinda like the idea that it's going to be a surprise when it grows back Less maintenance for now
#4 of 17 Old 02-08-2008, 10:35 PM

All three of my children lost their hair around the same age. My youngest dd went from black hair to blonde as well!
#5 of 17 Old 02-08-2008, 10:42 PM

Yeah, totally normal. In fact, more normal than it not falling out. I'm not sure, but I think I read some where that it has something to do with a hormonal shift, from sharing your hormones from the birth to producing their own hormones, or something like that. DD1's black baby hair fell out and came in light brown and curly. DD2's hair fell out and came in blonde. So it's a nice surprise. And really really normal, just a little alarming. DD1 looked like she had mange for a while

Wife to DH and mama to DD(7) blahblah.gifand DD(5) moon.gif...Lola the Wiener Dog dog2.gif, Faulkner the Little Giant dog2.gif, Ginger the Wonder Cat cat.gif,  Azkaban the blue parakeet, Sunny the yellow parakeet, 3 nameless hermit crabs, and a whole bunch of fish!

#6 of 17 Old 02-08-2008, 10:46 PM

DS's hair did that around the same age. It was very dark when he was born and by four months he was bald! It grew back in a much lighter gingery color. No worries!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#7 of 17 Old 02-08-2008, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much!

Now instead of worrying, I can anticipate a possible change in hair color/texture. Maybe she'll go from thick black hair (DH) to curly dark brown (me!).
#8 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 05:25 PM

We used to joke that DS was just practicing his future hairstyle....he had the nice ring that went around the sides, and nothing on top.

His also went from dark brown tosandy blonde. Now that he's almost 3, it is getting darker every day, heading back towards brown.

Mama to DS 3/05 and DD 1/08
#9 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 05:27 PM

Our poor guy lost all his hair on top when I treated his cradle cap with oil. Then when that started to peach fuzz, he lost all the hair on the back of his head. lol
#10 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 05:59 PM

Totally normally.

Hair has a resting state and a growth state. For some babies they occur simultaneously and so you never notice the baldness. For others, they lose their hair in the resting state and it doesn't start to grow back in until the next growth phase.

This happened to my DD. I was sooooooo tickled because she was born with oodles of hair. But it was dark red and I was hoping it would be blonde like mine.

Well, now its growing back and IS blonde, with some wave too! YAY!

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#11 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 06:04 PM

My baby was born with TONS of beautiful, fuzzy, dark brown hair, and it all fell out. I found clumps of it in his bassinet when I'd get him up from a nap. It seriously looked like a shedding dog had been laying there! He was almost completely *bald* for a few weeks. I was so sad. But now it's growing back in sort of a reddish blonde color, and it is so gorgeous! Now I'm glad the brown stuff fell out.
#12 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 07:52 PM

My boy is also loosing his hair... in a fashion style, LOL.... He has a mohawk! He's Cute!

Mama to 5 boys, F (13), J(11), R&X (8), L (2) and growing baby 6 due in Feb 11!!
#13 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 08:21 PM

My son was born with a head full of lush, silver hair. Now at 4 months, it is thin and frizzy, with several bald patches. It looks like it is not just falling out but breaking off. People would stop us when he was a newborn just to see his hair.
My daughter had thick dark hair that resembled a wig at birth. We never noticed it falling out though.
#14 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fihz View Post
My boy is also loosing his hair... in a fashion style, LOL.... He has a mohawk! He's Cute!
My son (10.5 months) is just now starting to regrow his hair and it is growing IN in a mohawk! Mohawk babies unite!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#15 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fihz View Post
Same here! Well, a I guess she has more of a faux-hawk actually! It's freaking adorable!

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
#16 of 17 Old 02-11-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplehome View Post
We used to joke that DS was just practicing his future hairstyle....he had the nice ring that went around the sides, and nothing on top.
Same here. We call him our little used car salesman.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#17 of 17 Old 02-12-2008, 02:58 PM

At least those of you who already posted about the hair cul-de-sac have boys!!! I have a little girl with the used car salesman hair! It's actually just started growing back (she's 5 mos) and is much less noticeable than it was... Also growing back lighter, too. From dark brown to a dark blonde with a reddish tint.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page