What do you do in your mommy/baby group? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-07-2003, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in an area that seems to have a lot of mommies and babies, but not really any organized groups. We've talked about starting one, and I sort of volunteered to do it, but I really don't even know what you do in a mommy's group? We have a location to meet. I'm nervous about "being in charge" and not having a clue! Nobody will ever come back! Do you have any suggestions? What do you do in your groups? How did you get people to come?

My DS is 8 mos old and most interest seems to be from mommies with babies under a year.

Thanks for your help! I hope I posted this int he correct location!
#2 of 9 Old 09-07-2003, 02:21 PM

moms' groups are awesome! i love mine. we meet 2x/week--once for a formal meeting and the other time for an outing. everyone commits to attending thr formal meeting and the outing is optional.

here is the rouitine for the formal meeting. (2 hour meeting) we each check in and talk about our week and mention items that we want the group to talk about. this takes about an hour. then we spend the next hour talking about the items folks have raised. the trick is to stay on topic so that there is time for discussion on all items. then we spend the last few minutes planning an outing. one person volunteers to organize it. we do stuff like going on walks, having lunch, going to matinees.
#3 of 9 Old 09-07-2003, 05:08 PM

Our group is really informal! We keep in touch via email (we all met online a couple of years ago) and take turns hosting or meeting at places like the pool, McDonald's etc. We usually get together once/week, sometimes twice.

We just let the kids play together while we hang out... the younger, less mobile ones are usually in a momma's lap. We do the occassional special party for birthdays, holidays, etc too.

PS- I think our group must be smaller than what you're thinking? We have six moms, five 2-3yo toddlers, two 1-2yo and 3 small babies and another on the way...
#4 of 9 Old 09-07-2003, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! Rebekah, what types of things do you discuss? Like what would be discussed during a first group gathering?

busybusymomma.. I have no idea what to expect on size. We live in a small community, but since there doesn't seem to be a lot of organized groups we could get a lot of interest.

Living in such a wet area, with winter coming I think that having planned activity for an outting will be good for us all. I just don't really know how organized I should try to be and if there should be "activities" or just everyone hang out. Mostly I think I am just being shy (so why didn't I volunteer to try to organize .. I have no idea) and worry that it is going to be awkward at first!
#5 of 9 Old 09-08-2003, 02:20 AM

We have a cool group here in my little town and I'd like to tell you more about it but it is soooo late and I have to get some sleep! I'll be back later to share more info!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#6 of 9 Old 09-08-2003, 02:34 AM

jmjello: topics have included: breastfeeding problems (e.g., a baby's preference for one breast), painful sex, emotions about returning to work, finding good childcare, feelings of vulnerability as a new mom, how to help the babies sleep better, the role of partners (especially during teh night), etc.

In the beginning, we had a topic that each mom included in her check in, such as "how i got pregnant," "my labor experience," "how i picked my baby's name." this helped break the ice and helped us get to know each other. it can take several weeks before a real bond is created, but even from teh beginning i found it helpful to hear what other mom's were doing with their babies, etc. good luck!

i
#7 of 9 Old 09-08-2003, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Oh those are great ideas for icebreakers! Thanks!! I'm feeling much more secure and very excited to start meeting! I appreciate the help!
#8 of 9 Old 09-08-2003, 09:58 PM

Our mom's group is pretty informal...we communicate by email and organize what we will do every Wed. During the summer, we meet at the park w/strollers, go to a lake, once we all went biking with our babes on the back of our bikes. During the winter, we meet at someone's house or at a local play gym. We try to rotate houses so one person doesn't get tired of it. We usually talk about the babies and whatever latest concerns we have. But often we talk about other things as well. I love it. I think its really important as a SAHM to have a regular social outing to look forward to. It gives you a sense of involvement & routine to have a group of people who ask, "what did you guys do this weekend?" etc. I also like that everyone REALLY get to know each others babies and observe things like, "oh look, he got another tooth!"

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#9 of 9 Old 09-09-2003, 04:46 PM

jmjello, Hi just wondering where you are in NW? I'm in the Portland area and looking for a playgroup with like minded mamas. I have a 4 month old ds.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page