Not sure about his name.... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 09-07-2003, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Samson will be four wks on Tuesday. I haven't sent any data on him yet, because I'm not sure about his NAME!!!!
With Soleil, her name just came so naturally, I never had a doubt that it was her name....
With Samson, dh and I had such a HARD time agreeing on a name, and then he was born, and since he's been born, life's been crazy with visitors...and this is the first week I feel I've really had with him, and all of a sudden I'm realizing that his name sounds awkward (sp?) with me...is it too late to change his name? Dh is fully annoyed with me...but I can't help it. I just don't know what to do!!! any words of wisdom????

Mamasoleil/samson
#2 of 28 Old 09-07-2003, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think it's interesting that your children's names have the same meaning: sun, though in different languages. Was that intentional or accidental?
#3 of 28 Old 09-07-2003, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

It was intentional. They are my sunshines...
#4 of 28 Old 09-07-2003, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Then keep the name. Samson was a man of great strength, like the sun. The name will be good luck for your son.
#5 of 28 Old 09-07-2003, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Julie. THanks for your replies. I also love they are both named after the sun. They are both redheads, Samson is a fire sign. I just wish his name felt as familiar as Soleil's did, kwim?
I told dh I'm sure I'll get accustomed to it, but is it normal to feel unsure about a name like this? Sigh...just don't want to settle on a name..
#6 of 28 Old 09-07-2003, 08:56 PM

I think Samson and Soleil sound REALLY nice together!!
#7 of 28 Old 09-07-2003, 09:21 PM

Although dh and I picked Zane's name before I was even pg, after he was born I rarely called him that, it felt odd. I called him pretty boy, sweet boy, pumkin eater (yk, peter peter punkin eater, LOL). Anyway, I think around 3-4 months is when I started actually calling him Zane more often. I LOVE then name Zane, but maybe it just took awhile to CALL him that???
#8 of 28 Old 09-07-2003, 09:33 PM

I can relate. I don't love the name Rebecca. I do like Becca but we wanted all of our kids to have a more *formal* name. I am hoping Rebecca will grow on me.

I agree that Samson and Soleil go very well together. I also love that they both mean Sun. Very cool.
#9 of 28 Old 09-07-2003, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it certainly is a relief to know that I'm 'normal' to feel awkward about calling him by his name. Thank you dear sisters!

Mamasoleil/samson
#10 of 28 Old 09-07-2003, 09:59 PM

I'm also feeling awkward about ds's name and it doesn't help that he ;looks so much like his brothers that I keep calling him their names

the thing that's helping is hearing the other boys call him his name (well they are hardly going to call him sweetie pie or darling like I do

I like samson too - do you plan on using his full name or shortening it?
#11 of 28 Old 09-07-2003, 10:05 PM

I had the same problem with Ainsley - we had decided on that name before she was born, but for awhile I wans't sure it felt right - and I felt awkard saying it. I was going to just call her Ella - a shortened version of her middle name, but that didn't seem right either. Anyway, after a couple months it just fell into place and now I can't imagin her being anything else! I had the same problem with my son Ethan - and when he was a newborn we just called him 'little E' and that was his nickname for awhile....

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
#12 of 28 Old 09-07-2003, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I don't think I'll shorten it, thogh dh calls him Sammy, actually, everyone does except for me....I don't shorten Soleil either though...
One hand typing is tough and slow....
#13 of 28 Old 09-07-2003, 10:20 PM

It also took me a long time to come around to calling DD by her name (Grace). It was "Punkin," "Sweetie," "Pookie," etc. but never Grace or Gracie for the first several weeks. I wondered if I'd chosen the wrong name for her (we also had it picked out before I ever became PG), but it fits her now.

I think with some kids, they tell you their name when they're born. They are the old souls. The new souls (like my DD) don't know their names yet, either, so it's left to the parents to choose them. That's my theory, anyhow.

I love that both of your children have names with similar meaning. It's just cool.

#14 of 28 Old 09-08-2003, 12:08 AM

I love both of your children's name and I really wouldn't change a thing! BUT, I wanted to share a story....

My hubby's aunt had a daughter that she named Sarah. Well, when Sarah was six months old the aunt decided that she didn't like that anymore and changed the Sarah's name to Kaitland....poor baby, talk about confusion
#15 of 28 Old 09-08-2003, 12:54 AM

I love the names also. Just wanted to share this...with my first James Corwin Hawes. I told everyone to call him by his middle name, Corwin. Family tradition on my husband's side is to use middle names. But as he grew and grew...he became a James. So by six months he was a James and only a James. People might have been perplexed, but I felt it was our right to call him who he was or call him what fit him, James. Only one friend calls him JC-his initials. That bothered me for a while, but now when James sees her and she says "JC", he looks at her kind of confused. And she doesn't even see his confusion. Oh well-wonder what else she has missed in life.
#16 of 28 Old 09-08-2003, 01:43 AM

As I was reading your post, I realized that I just started calling ds by his name in the last month! His first two months I would stumble when people asked his name because I only called him "Bubby" (easier to say for dd). I recently started calling him "Jer Bear" too. He is still usually "Bubby" or "Jer Bear".

We really go for nicknames I guess... my dd is Elana (E-lay-na) Grace and is usually called Ellie, El or El Belle (we use her given name on occassion, but not often). Ds is Jeremy Kenneth and called Bubby, Jer Bear and on rare ocassions Jeremy! :LOL I'm the only one in the family who goes by my given name and a lot of people call me Shell...
#17 of 28 Old 09-08-2003, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Busybusymama,
My good friend's son is Jeremiah, and we call him Jer Bear too!How cool is that?
Well, I guess the consensus then is Samson stays as he is, name and all....
Thank you all for validating my feelings, and for not making me feel bad that I feel this way!!!!

You are all the best!!!

Peace,

Mamasoleil/samson
#18 of 28 Old 09-08-2003, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mamasoleil
Busybusymama,
My good friend's son is Jeremiah, and we call him Jer Bear too!How cool is that?
Well, I guess the consensus then is Samson stays as he is, name and all....
Thank you all for validating my feelings, and for not making me feel bad that I feel this way!!!!

You are all the best!!!

Peace,

Mamasoleil/samson
Cool! It's a very cuddly name and my ds is extremely loveable! I can't resist those fat rolls!

Before you know it you'll be calling him Samson!
#19 of 28 Old 09-08-2003, 02:59 PM

I think it's normal to wonder if a name fits a person you're just really getting to know. I think your reservation is completely normal and I'd wait a bit until you're sure.
#20 of 28 Old 09-08-2003, 03:17 PM

sweety, he is going to have his name his whole life (unless he changes it himself later) so definately choose something that feel right for him.

If it doesn't feel right, brainstorm some other ideas.
#21 of 28 Old 09-09-2003, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks A! I'm in a struggle for sure...the problem is, there is no name that I'm like, yeah that's IT!!! But I have to say, I'm getting to like Samson, it does suit him! He was tiny at birth, only 6lbs6oz, but he was 21 1/2 inches long at birth, he's long, and has big hands, big feet, he's already at 8lbs12oz, 4wks after his birth...I think he will be nice and tall, like his dad...and dad has a sweet muscular body ...So, anyway. Um, got off track there!! Samson's hair is getter more red by the day, and it's going to be thick and curly like his mom and sis. So, I think he'll be a darn cute Samson!!!!
IF I've made a mistake with his name, then it will come to me. I hope!

Mamasoleil/samson
#22 of 28 Old 09-10-2003, 12:06 AM

Hi! I just wanted to chime in here and say that I was/am going thru the same dilemma. My first told me her name before I ever conceived her. She is definitely an old soul and has been a very strong presence from the get-go. This dear baby has a much more subtle presence and I think is a new soul, or at least new to this plane anyway. I thought her name was supposed to be Eleanor and we had been calling her that for a couple of years, but while pregnant I really came to like Isabel/Isabella and strongly considered it. When she was born I felt she looked like an Isabella and it sounded so nice with Sophia I seriously considered changing it. I really struggled because even though she was a newborn she'd been Eleanor to Sophia and I for a couple years before she was born. I let my mom pick her middle name (it was Caroline, but that's a whole 'nother story!) and she chose Elizabeth and said she felt that the baby picked it. I thought it was interesting that Elizabeth and Isabella are forms of the same name. Also, I call her Ellie Bellie, which morphs into all sorts of other little monikers, including Belle, so the name is really still there.

I still occasionally have qualms about having chosen the right name, but I can hardly change it now! It has really started to settle and feel right and the qualms are coming less and less. HTH

SMC to Sophia, age 15, and Eleanor, age 9, and mother hen to too many nursing students to count!

#23 of 28 Old 09-11-2003, 07:01 AM

Oh Mamasoleil! When Samson was born, we were still thinking of names for our babe to be (who was born the next day: ) so I had the baby name book out. I looked up Samson and thought it was so beautiful that you chose a name with a meaning similar to Soleil's. As you said, your two sunshines! I love the name, he looks like a Samson to me from the lovely pics you posted. All that said, I know how you feel. We didn't name Ethan for a few days after his birth. On the other hand, I had dd's name from 6 wks into the preg! I think Ethan is just now coming into his name and I am just now feeling settled with it. Hope that helps!
#24 of 28 Old 09-12-2003, 07:51 AM

i love the names. The sibling names go well together.

Also the other thing too is that when baby is born we have different idea what their personality will be like than we had imagined. So perhaps its not the whole naming issue but rather that you have to get used to who your new child is and get used to him as a person not the name itself. KWIM?

The name will grow and I love the meanings too.

My kids are Delfina and Yukio (japanese for snow and luck).

Big Hugs

stephanie
#25 of 28 Old 09-13-2003, 01:07 AM

When I was 16 years old I had a dream where I was 10 years older at a highschool re-union. Someone asked me what the name of my baby was and I said Haefen... so I took that as a message to name my baby that one day. I ended up not using the f like in my dream because the book (later metioned) said that it imparted a bad childhood...
When I got pregnant at 20 I wasn't prepared for having the baby. I didn't even think I would keep it, but I did and I'm pretty happy now. But the name thing for me was hard too. And still is. I rarely call her haeven and when I do it feels forced and awkward. I feel like my family feels weird calling her that too. She's 9 months old now. Afew months ago I seriously considered re-naming her Arianna, Rianna, Rhiannon or something like that cause I asked her to tell me in a dream (after she was born) and those were the sounds that I saw (KWIM?).
Also, when I was pregnant with her a friend gave me a book called Child Light, Parenting in the new age. In this book there is a section devoted to the breakdown of word sounds and what they impart to the person called that. For example, the H sound in Haeven makes a person more withdrawn and reserved, less likely to express their emotions... So with my baby being already quite reserved with her emotions (she rarely cried), I never called her that for the first few months.
It's good to know that I'm not alone in this. It's so hard to name a child. It's their tag, their marker, everyone will know who they are by it. I actually came to this "Life With A Babe" forum, cause I wanted to start a thread on not feeling comfortable with your babies name!
I usually call her Haeven-Soleil, her full name or just Anjel, cause that is what she is!
I know a child named Rise, who really is a rise, a baby named 0shee, named by his hippy parents .... what can I say? In the native american culture, children sometimes weren't named till they did something that awarded a name... big boy who helps with fire.... write back to tell me what yall think.

Jasanna and the little boobie moster
#26 of 28 Old 09-14-2003, 12:20 AM

I still think about dd's name and she's 5. I never felt completely sure that she's her name. HOwever, lots of people have told me htat they think she is. (They could just be being polite)

I did dream right before she was born that she was a girl named her name. It makes me feel like it was "meant to be". Also I am positive that DH had vetoed the name before, but towards the end of preg., he answered differently when I asked him. So I feel like that is a good sign. DH is intuitive in that kind of way. (he dreamed I was preg. before I knew I was, had a dream DD broke her arm the night before she did, etc.) We are pregnant again and just recently, I felt like I had the right name, which he had vetoed before, and I asked again, and he said "hmm....okay." So I think it is the right name.

W/ds, his name seemed more right and I am much more confident that he has the "right" name though it still seemed weird at first to hear people actually using the name and to write it etc. I mean, you've just created an identity and image that will follow them the rest of their lives. I always feel like "did I chose just the right one? Should I have chosen one of the other infinite supply of names there are out there?" I think your doubts sound in the realm of normal and that it does sound like a good name for your son.
#27 of 28 Old 09-14-2003, 04:13 PM

My kids names never really felt right to me until they were around
five or six months old. I called Laura "sweetie" until she was six
months old and it was then that I realized she didn't know her
own name, so I made it a point to start calling her Laura from
then on.

The same happened with Allison and is now happening with little
Leia too. Right now, it's awkward calling her Leia even though I
LOVE the name. I usually call her "baby girl" or "sweetie" like I
did with my first two.

Now that my first two are older, their names really do fit them
and I'm confident Leia's name will start sounding right as well.
#28 of 28 Old 09-14-2003, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

I finally sent in his "Live Birth Statement" with his name. So, Samson he's keeping! He's really coming into his name. His growth is astounding, he will be a good sized man I think. His hair grows redder by the minute, and it will be curly and thick, like
Soleil's hair. He looks so content when I whisper Samson into his ear!!!

For those who had names picked out for years. I also grew up thinking if ever I had a boy, his name would be Xavier. Always. That was it. Well, it just so happens, that that was the one name that dh always thought "why would anyone name their child that?": So, I had to respect that. I didn't want to name my child a name his father always hated!!!

So, I have my two sunshines...the pressure is on if we decide to have another!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page