a tick on my baby! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-22-2008, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just found a tick on my baby. We put this medicine stuff on my dog to repel fleas and ticks so I am thinking that is how it got on her. She was doing some tummy time on her play mat and that is when I found it. Is there anything I should be worried about? It was gray and teeny tiny, smaller than a flea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-22-2008, 06:29 PM

The teeny ones are the ones that carry Lyme disease.

My mom has Lyme disease and the doctors told us if we ever get bit or someone we know gets bit, to keep the tick for 2-3 weeks. If a rash shows up, to take the person with the rash and the tick to the doctor. That way they do a test.

You've probably already disposed of the tick so all you need to do is watch for a rash, which is generally localized wherever the tick was. Otherwise, nothing to worry about.

Wait, was your baby bit? Or was it just on her?

If it was just on her, I wouldn't worry at all!

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#3 of 8 Old 02-22-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post
The teeny ones are the ones that carry Lyme disease.

My mom has Lyme disease and the doctors told us if we ever get bit or someone we know gets bit, to keep the tick for 2-3 weeks. If a rash shows up, to take the person with the rash and the tick to the doctor. That way they do a test.

You've probably already disposed of the tick so all you need to do is watch for a rash, which is generally localized wherever the tick was. Otherwise, nothing to worry about.

Wait, was your baby bit? Or was it just on her?

If it was just on her, I wouldn't worry at all!
no it bit her. there was a rash around the area but now it is gone. i threw the tick in the toilet.. but didnt flush it, maybe i can find it. did he say the rash would stay or can it go away?

edited:
i just read on cdc.gov site that they have to feed for 12 hours at least to pass lyme bacteria. i KNOW it had not been on her that long.

#4 of 8 Old 02-22-2008, 07:24 PM

My DH got some kind of fever from a tick a few years ago, but I think it too had been on him for a spell. They are nasty little things. Makes me glad I dont have dogs anymore though, because we live in midwest tick heaven!
#5 of 8 Old 02-22-2008, 07:33 PM

Yuk, I totally sympathize. We only had fleas here, but that's bad enough. And last night I caught an ant crawling on DS's head. Dangit! I think we've gotten rid of the fleas, but I hate the idea of bugs on the baby.
#6 of 8 Old 02-22-2008, 07:37 PM

How long did the rash last? Was it just a little red or a big bumpy type rash?

I don't want to be an alarmist but you might want to call the doctor to be on the safe side. A long course of antibiotics can reduced syptoms of Lyme disease and (I think)Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. As much as I don't like antibiotics, I think that tick-borne diseases are cases that very much warrant their use. Long term symptoms of Lyme disease can be painful so you might just want to have your baby checked out. Not all doctors are knowledgeable, so if you are really concerned you can call a doctor who specializes in infectious diseases and ask for their opinion.

Lyme and RMSF are NASTY. This is one thing I personally will NOT mess around with.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#7 of 8 Old 02-22-2008, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post
How long did the rash last? Was it just a little red or a big bumpy type rash?

I don't want to be an alarmist but you might want to call the doctor to be on the safe side. A long course of antibiotics can reduced syptoms of Lyme disease and (I think)Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. As much as I don't like antibiotics, I think that tick-borne diseases are cases that very much warrant their use. Long term symptoms of Lyme disease can be painful so you might just want to have your baby checked out. Not all doctors are knowledgeable, so if you are really concerned you can call a doctor who specializes in infectious diseases and ask for their opinion.

Lyme and RMSF are NASTY. This is one thing I personally will NOT mess around with.
it was gone as soon as i took the tick off. it was red around the area and not bumpy. i think i will call her doc. thanks.

#8 of 8 Old 02-22-2008, 09:37 PM

Ugh! I hate ticks!
Just be sure that you got the head when you pulled it out.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page