Do we even need a crib? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-07-2003, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am expecting my first baby in March. We plan on using a cosleeper for at least the first 6 months. We are currently living in a two bedroom apartment, the second bedroom is currently used as a guest room. We hope to be buying a house or atleast moving into a bigger place by the end of next summer. Since we are going to cosleep, do we even need a crib now, or can we wait until we move and have more space. What about taking naps, coan the baby nap in the cosleeper? Thanks for the help.

Lydia
#2 of 25 Old 09-07-2003, 11:38 PM

Stores are always chock full of cribs so I would just say to go and buy one when and if you need it. My ds didn't sleep in a crib until he was almost a year old.
#3 of 25 Old 09-07-2003, 11:50 PM

Do you even need a crib?

How about a big fat "N" and an "O" nope notta na-uh

Don't waste even a penny...not even the space if you're given one. If and when you ever do want one (I'd be surprised if you did) there are bazillions out there in all shapes and sizes for next to nothing.

I don't even like to think of the major money that we spent on an all new nursery.

congrats on the pending arrival of your first baby. you have no idea the miracle and life change that is coming your way.
glad you know about mothering.com
sure wish i' known about it sooner, but better late than never, huh?
#4 of 25 Old 09-07-2003, 11:55 PM

We don't have one. I honestly doubt we'll ever buy one. We don't have a bedframe, just a mattress and boxspring on the floor, and he sleeps in the bed with us. He hopefully will until he gets his own bed.
#5 of 25 Old 09-08-2003, 01:13 AM

We bought a crib, a really spendy custom finish yadda yadda yadda. My daughter spent exactly 15 minutes in the crib ever, for real. We ended up cosleeping excusively. I had a cradle for when she was really small. (she did not use that much but it was a nice spot for her to lay and rock on occasion.) For naps we had a baby bjorn as she was not a sling baby or she slept on our bed which we moved to the floor. I also found that a lot of naps happened in the car, with us holding her etc. If you did not want to lower your bed you could buy a single mattress and put it on the floor and the same mattress could transition to your child's first bed. I would put off buying a crib unless you need one.

I think the cosleeper would be perfect for naps.

have fun!

lula
#6 of 25 Old 09-08-2003, 01:26 AM
Len

Another big NO
We only got one of those tiny cribs from IKEA and ended up using it only like 4 times. Then we got one of those play things thinking it was a good idea for naps, but we ended up with a foam matress on the floor and 4 years later he still naps there. It doesn't have to be big and you can put it under your bed or fold it when you are not using it.
#7 of 25 Old 09-08-2003, 01:50 AM

We never had a crib for our first and don't plan to get one for this baby either. She slept in a bassinet next to the bed, then in the bed. AT around 20 mos. she transitioned to a futon in our room, and now she's in her own room.

With this baby we have a waterbed now, so plan to buy a cosleeper. Hope it lasts until baby can either join us in bed safely when its older, or transition to its own bed.

I would say wait on the crib until you think you actually need one.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#8 of 25 Old 09-08-2003, 02:18 AM

I'm going to agree with everybody else, and also add that I'm moving this to the Life With a Babe forum....

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#9 of 25 Old 09-08-2003, 03:05 AM

We had a crib, but ended up using it for a diaper changing station. She never once slept in it, and for our next baby we won't even set it up.
#10 of 25 Old 09-08-2003, 09:21 AM

We were given a crib when I was pg, and I didn't think we would ever use it. Well, my babies our now six and a half months old, and we actually just got a second crib (a hand-me-down)! We co-sleep at night, but I would like to use the cribs for naps during the day. Our king-sized mattress is on the floor, but Luke and Jaz can still get quite a bonk when they roll out of it (or crawl out of it) after they wake up from a nap. Sometimes I can hear them wake up before they have the chance to crawl over the edge, but often they are very quiet until I hear the crash (followed by wails). It is harder to put them down in the crib, but we are slowly tranistioning towards that. It just feels safer. If I could nap with them during all of their naps (and if they could always nap at the same time!) then I definitely wouldn't need a crib.

That said, I think the co-sleeper that you have is all that you will ever really need. It becomes like a porta-crib after the baby is 15 pounds, so that should be sufficient if you, too, are blessed with a baby who likes to explore.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#11 of 25 Old 09-08-2003, 09:46 AM

I didn't use our crib the first time around, and this time I didn't even bother to set it up, it became a clutter zone the first time! :

Mamasoleil/samson

PS Congratulations!!!
#12 of 25 Old 09-08-2003, 09:58 AM

The only babies who have slept in dd's crib are those who were visiting. She did not use it at all. It converts into a toddler bed and she has napped in it a handful of times (at age 2.5) but never through the night. I say skip it. The co-sleeper should suffice for naps.
#13 of 25 Old 09-08-2003, 05:20 PM

We use our crib, but I think that you will be fine if you just want to use the co-sleeper. I like the crib to let her settle down in. Our house is small, and it seems to always be busy except for the bedrooms. When DD needs a little less stimulation, I put her in her crib to play. She loves it! She can put her toys in there, and roll around. I can put her in it while I run to the bathroom, or make the bed, ect. I guess I use it as a sort of play pen, but DD keeps getting into the electric cords in the living room. She can't crawl yet, but she can sure scootch around really fast! She was born in April, and is just now starting to get into things
#14 of 25 Old 09-08-2003, 09:50 PM

My in-laws bought us a crib and I thought we would never use it but we do. We didn't use it for the first 6 months but after ds fell out of the bed, I started using it for naps and then started using it at night. Honestly, I love it. When ds wakes up to nurse (around 3 or 4) I bring him to bed with me. So I feel like we get the benefits of both. I sleep much better while he's in the crib and then we get some co-sleeping snugly time in the AM. I don't know about other babies (although most people I know have had a similar experience) but my baby woke more frequently when he slept in our bed.

We bought a co sleeper and never used it...the mattress was cheap and ds was restless in it.

One thing you can do is get a crib and take one side off of it and use it as a co-sleeper. Several of my friends do this & they like it. That way their child is co-sleeping but on a comfortable mattress and if they ever decide to use it as a crib they have it for that purpose. Maybe don't bother spending the $$ but if someone is willing to buy it for you as a present, I wouldn't turn it down.

"We shape the clay into a pot but it is the emptiness inside that holds whatever we want" Lao Tzu
#15 of 25 Old 09-08-2003, 10:21 PM

We use our crib but not how I thought we would. We've been co-sleeping almost since day one and ds is just about 7 months now. The night we got home from the birthing center...we got home at 4am and I put him in the bassinet. He'd be awake in 10 seconds flat. It was so mush easier to have him beside me in bed. I nursed him once or twice and then he slept soundly for five hours. He's been in our bed ever since. We are trying to get him to sleep in the crib sometimes...it's in our room now....but most of the time he wakes up and plays and then cries for me when he's done playing to go back to the bed with me and nurse to sleep.
Mostly he plays on the floor these days because he is creeping now and loves to explore but I do put him in the crib to play some of the time and I can take a bath or whatnot without having to worry about it.
My husband really wants ds to sleep in the crib now that the little guy is more mobile. I am trying but not that hard I guess because it's so much easier to have him in bed with me for when he nurses, not having to wake up and get out of bed. A few days ago we were at my mom's all day and Jakob was out like a light on the car ride home...when we got home we put him in the crib and 20 minutes later he was awake. When I let him be in our bed, whether I'm beside him or not he just always sleeps longer.
So we do get use out of it, but mostly for playtime. Maybe he will sleep part of the night in it sometime, but it doesn't look like anytime soon.

#16 of 25 Old 09-09-2003, 12:10 AM

I have a co-sleeper and it's great--but I should warn you, DS just learned how to climb out of it (when he was 4.5 months old!) so I don't think it will work in the long term for naps. I have always given him naps in the crib in his own room. I'm very glad I got him used to sleeping in there as a newborn--what else could I do now that he's mobile? He's too young to understand that crawling off the bed is a bad idea. (At night he sleeps with me, of course )

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#17 of 25 Old 09-09-2003, 06:46 PM

No you do not need a crib. I wish I never bought the stupid thing!
Dd slept in the crib for 10months before I wised up and put her in bed with me. We sold the crib and don't miss it. With the next baby we will not be getting another crib.
#18 of 25 Old 09-10-2003, 10:29 AM

Our crib makes a very nice cat bed :LOL

Amy mama to Emily love.gif & Ben fencing.gif

#19 of 25 Old 09-11-2003, 03:13 AM

I was just going to post that the only reason I sometimes wish I had a crib is to have someplace to put the baby down that the cats can't get to, but apparently I am mistaken about cribs being good for that.
#20 of 25 Old 09-11-2003, 03:49 AM

DD co-slept until she really started moving. Now she sleeps in a crib b/c she sleeps better alone and so do I. She sleeps through the night, and isn't constantly kicking me in the head with her night acrobatics :LOL It also keeps her from falling off the bed. I agree with what someone mentioned. Wait on the crib and IF you decide you need one then buy it. We didn't "need" ours until about 10-12 mos. Ds never even slept in it, so it was "new" when dd started using it.
#21 of 25 Old 09-11-2003, 04:17 AM

Wait and see what your baby's personality is like. My first two always slept and cried at the sighting of a crib or playpen with me and now my son 5 months wants to sleep alone. He grew out of his bassinet cosleeper and also fell off the bed so I put together the crib I was given and he loves it. I sleep with him as much as he'll let me then in his crib he goes which is up against my bed.

Mommy to Ryah 12, Reanna 11, Parker 6 and Cooper 3 months
#22 of 25 Old 09-11-2003, 05:22 AM

We bought a crib, and converted it to a co-sleeper by taking off one side rail and lashing the legs to our bed-frame with cable ties. We also put a piece of wood under both matresses so there is no way dd can fall into the crack between. We needed to do this because our bed is entirely too small for three people. It works great and I feel it was a better value than a typical co-sleeper because dd will continue to fit in it when she would have long outgrown a ready-made co-sleeper.
#23 of 25 Old 09-11-2003, 06:47 AM

Our babes have never slept in the crib. If you are planning to cosleep the first 6 months, chances are you will continue that beautiful arrangement far beyond that. I would save your crib money and spend it instead on Dr. Jay Gordon's new book "Good Nights." It has super cosleeping safety guidelines, as you mentioned wondering where babe will nap.

Enjoy your lovely pregnancy and congrats!
#24 of 25 Old 09-11-2003, 09:21 AM

We coslept with a SnuggleNest in between dh and I. We still do at nighttime but for daytime naps, I've started putting dd in a portacrib - she was just getting too mobile on the bed at 7 months. I actually put the SnuggleNest in the portacrib and she sleeps fine cause she's used to the SnuggleNest. I can't see any reason to buy an expensive crib just to use for daytime naps. The portacrib is working just fine. I'd wait and see what works for your family.
#25 of 25 Old 09-11-2003, 01:10 PM

Well, the crib is a great place to hang diapers to dry! Other than that, it stores some stuff and takes up space.

Wait and see if you have any use for it. We got ours as a gift and get minimal utlility out of it.

But, the diapers dry quickly...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page