Tummy time is torture time, lol - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6 month old has always hated tummy time. She sounds as if we are torturing her when she's on her tummy. She used to just roll back onto her back immediately, but now it's just screaming and more screaming. Legs high in the air, lol and screaming. My mother keeps insisting I put her on her tummy and let her scream or she will never crawl. I just don't see how it will help if she's just lifting her legs behind her and screaming. Any thoughts???

-T, Wife and Best Friend to R 3/2005; Mommie to E 8/2007; and G 3/2009

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hee hee...my son (7mo) is the same way and always has been. Come to think of it, so was my first. Isn't crawling just considered and optional skill anyway? DS1 hated tummy time, crawled for a few weeks and walked at 8.5 months. some babies just have their own idea about how they want to get around, etc. I don't think that having her unhappy on her tummy is going to help any. she will do it when she is ready.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:04 PM

Well, neither of my kids liked tummy time and so I just didn't do it. One crawled at 7 months and one never crawled (he booty scooted). Both walk just fine now.

IMO tummy time isn't mandatory. From a sitting position babies who are ready to crawl will start putting their hands down and shifting to a crawl position.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:21 PM

I call it torture time, too!!! I just got back from my ped (love her, very natural type). She keeps encouraging me to put her on her tummy 17 times a day. I told her no way, I can't do it because she cries everytime. So, she said okay then just do it 20 -30 times a day and just pick her us as soon as she starts fussing. We'll see. Lots of people don't bother and I can see their point, but I think I will keep trying.

DH, and Me plus baby girl (10/07)
Old 02-28-2008, 05:26 PM

my dd hated tummy time at first. getting down there on my tummy with her helped as did keeping the tummy time sessions short.

as for the crawling, my dd started crawling from a sitting position, not from her tummy. maybe try that instead. i mean, if she really doesn't like tummy time, why torture her?

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shami View Post
I call it torture time, too!!! I just got back from my ped (love her, very natural type). She keeps encouraging me to put her on her tummy 17 times a day. I told her no way, I can't do it because she cries everytime. So, she said okay then just do it 20 -30 times a day and just pick her us as soon as she starts fussing. We'll see. Lots of people don't bother and I can see their point, but I think I will keep trying.
Oh my gosh!! She wants your poor baby to spend the entire day on her tummy? Because she doesn't like it?!

My son doesn't seem to like it either so we don't really do it very often. MAYBE 5 minutes a day or every other day, lol. My mom didn't do it with us and my brothers and I walk just fine! LOL
Old 02-28-2008, 05:31 PM

my DD didn't like it, and I didn't like to make her upset... i would often lay her on my stomach and play like that. i read that babywearing counts as tummytime. so i never worried about it. DD crawled @ 7 mo.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:34 PM

I honestly can't say that I agree... tummy time is VERY important, and it is also important that your babies crawl, at least for a time... it helps to build the connections in their brain, walking doesn't. There's also research linking crawling to the development of hands and the impact it can have on fine motor skills, in particular handwriting.
As soon as our son was born he was on his belly, so he was always used to it. Despite current advice, he did sleep that way also from the time he was about 2 months old on. Still, you need to rely on your mothering instincts, and also remember that your mom was there and probably has some good insight. If your baby is screeming, try laying her on a big exercise ball (holding on to her, of course) so that there's not so much pressure on her tummy and play with her that way for as long as she will a day, working her up until she is more comfortable with it. Have you tried laying her on something with an angle so that she's not just flat on her tummy? That might help to relieve some of the fussiness also. Our son preferred his stomach, so it's wasn't ever a battle... he crawled at 6 1/2 mos. and walked @ 10 months. I am just trying to remember some things that they did with babies who were fussy in my childcare classes. Also, try putting a mirror for her to see herself in on the floor. Babies love that.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 PM

Well, my ds hates it too, and all he does is scream, so I am having a hard time motivating myself to do it. He doesnt like laying on back or front, he likes to be upright.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:56 PM

Ds screamed as soon as we put him on his tummy awake, for the dreaded tummy time. So we just did not do it. No point in creating a situation none of us enjoyed. I had also read that babywearing counts as tummytime and I wore ds all the time. He did crawl, though not for very long. He really wanted to walk so that is what he did.

Mary, Mama to 3 boys! 9/05 & 8/08 & 7/12
Old 02-28-2008, 07:02 PM

At my DD's 4 month check up, our pediatrician again asked us about tummy time and I guiltily admitted to almost never doing it because it makes DD so miserable. The doc actually had a great suggestion. She said to put DD on her belly right after I change her diaper, just for the amount of time it takes me to wash my hands and come back in the room (I change her on the floor during the day). This way she gets it at least 7 or 8 times a day, just for one to two minute increments. We started doing that and since then she can spend increased amount of time on her belly without screaming like crazy. It's not her favorite, but it has definitely improved! Good luck!!

Gina, wife to DH, mama to my heart breaker Cecelia (10/13/07) and
welcoming our new baby boy Henry (03/08/10)
Old 02-28-2008, 07:11 PM

I have to put my 2cents in here. I think in most babies, that are healthy well cared for kiddo's that are worn or held a lot I think tummy time is crap. Tummy time isn't supposed to help them crawl- it's supposed to help them take the pressure off their head and build upperbody strength and head controll. IMO babies can do that if they are held upright on your lap, stood up, encouraged to look around. ALL 4 of my kids HATED tummy time, and I REFUSE to do something to a baby EVERYDAY that I KNOW is going to make them scream, cry and get very upset. In all the kids I've ever been around, including my own, NONE of them have ever done "tummy time" and none have ever had delayed crawling or walking.

I think that you have to listen to your instincts, baby's cue's, and watch baby's development. Some kids' love it, others hate it and you have to just go from there. Me? Personally? Never- not with out a valid reason that I can SEE- nope.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsReady2bMama View Post
At my DD's 4 month check up, our pediatrician again asked us about tummy time and I guiltily admitted to almost never doing it because it makes DD so miserable. The doc actually had a great suggestion. She said to put DD on her belly right after I change her diaper, just for the amount of time it takes me to wash my hands and come back in the room (I change her on the floor during the day). This way she gets it at least 7 or 8 times a day, just for one to two minute increments. We started doing that and since then she can spend increased amount of time on her belly without screaming like crazy. It's not her favorite, but it has definitely improved! Good luck!!
Thatt is a great idea! My DD HATES tummy time. Despises it even. I may try this for a bit. But I truly believe she's gonna walk before she ever crawls LOL. Of course if she continues to scream...forget it.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my dd gets held most of the time (or worn). She has been sitting unassisted and very stable since 4.75 months, so she really just wants to sit up all the time. From what I'm reading here and elsewhere I think we'll just stick to what we're doing. Everyone is entitled to their opinon, but for us I think tummy time is just going to hender more than help. Thanks for all the responses!!!

-T, Wife and Best Friend to R 3/2005; Mommie to E 8/2007; and G 3/2009

Old 02-28-2008, 08:42 PM

my eldest son and daughter weren't huge fans of tummy time either, so I didn't do it, and they turned out walking at a "normal" stage and this day are bright children.

my 7 week old son sleeps best on his tummy on my chest and tummy. at diaper changes, when I let him "air out" and dry his diaper-area skin for a long time, I will roll him over on his tummy, more for helping him fart, than for developmental reasons. He'll tolerate it for a little bit if I lay down and talk to him face to face and rub his back. He'll usually push his head up and the effort will help him to fart, and then he's done. I roll him back over and he's a happy chappy.

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!

User Tag List