Traveling with 10month old? (longish) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-09-2003, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

oops

E & K (13yrs) and our flock of 6!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
"Mum, I am a country bumkin"
#2 of 7 Old 09-09-2003, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We drive 800 miles in 14-16 hours straight with our two girls both who didnt sleep well in strange places and they did better than we could have even hoped for. Our oldest (very high needs) didnt travel well till well over a year of age, now she does very well. dd #2 has made the trip 3 times in her 15 months of life and does very well. Really think long trips lull the child thus making long trips easier than expected. They didnt even bf much cause to busy sleeping. my poor breasts, so very full.

One thing if a child is just learning to crawl or walk postpone the trip till that skill is mastered.

We drive from Idaho to California.

Both of our girls are very shy the oldest we couldnt visit for more than a week because she just needed home and I mean she really needed her home stomping grounds. When a person makes a long trip ya like to stay for awhile.

I soo agree with about going when your child is more ready for strange places/people. BUT it may be easier than you think.

You dont have to give excuses, if they cant handle the fact you are doing what you feel best for YOUR child then tuff luck to them.

I wish you well
nak
#3 of 7 Old 09-09-2003, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input Erin.
I'm glad to know it's possible to travel so far with little ones, I'm sure she would sleep most of the trip there.
Have you ever taken a plane? I'm just scared to death of them and I 'd probably be a nervous wreck.
You're right on the money about the wanting to stay if you go all the miles and that's how I feel too. So I think I'll just be waiting until I know she could handle being away from home that long and be comfortable.

Now all I have to do is get up my nerve

Thanks!

"Hey little one, why don't you go get cleaned up, you look like a country bumkin."
#4 of 7 Old 09-10-2003, 12:38 AM

Please try not to worry about what they say. If you have a desire to go visit, then go ahead, but otherwise just stay at home. If a relative is unable to come see you (old, poor health, etc) I might consider making an effort to go see them, but otherwise they can come see you if they really want to.
#5 of 7 Old 09-10-2003, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

There is only one "ill/old" relitive in Idaho and he's not even a relation, yet we still get some flack for not visiting him "before he's gone". Sheesh talk about your guilt trip!

I like the ida of just staying home myself, and I know that's what's best for dd for now too.

Thanks Jenny.

#6 of 7 Old 09-10-2003, 12:43 AM

Yes, when our oldest was about 3 weeks old we flew. By the time we drove to the airport and got all the stuff done and waited around to board then flew with a few stops then had to drive to the in-laws it was the same lenght of time as driving. When flying it cuts down freedom a bit if you dont rent a car as you are at the mercy of whom ever you stay with. I wouldnt recomend flying unless you rent a car but then that costs$$.

The day before we where to fly back home there was a plane wreck off the coast of California and the body of a baby was found. It was the same type of plane and same company. I almost counldnt board the plane the next day. My parents where ready to come down and drive me home I found out later as they figured it would really bother me.

By waiting till your dd is ready is the best thing so stick to your guns and dont pay any mind to what they think or say. You know best.
#7 of 7 Old 09-10-2003, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Well that's about all I need to confirm my thoughts on flying, wow. Of course then you have the debate on how many car crashes verses plane crashes there are too... That gets anoying.

You're advice and experience has been very helpful, thank you.

Planning on stickin' to my guns

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page