***April 2007 Mamas - It's March 2008!!!*** - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, Craigslist people came and went and I'm still alive, hurray!! And I made 110$, not too shabby Then dh asked if I'd share my profits since he partially paid for the items - NO WAY!! I went to all the trouble of selling the things, the money is mine

I just got my first Just Tomatoes order from a coop, WOW!! That stuff is amazing, Romi and I are going through a large tub of strawberries and by tonight there won't be any left for sure :

Question: Bed rails, anyone use them? Romi is sleeping in our bed and I'm sure the pillows won't hold her in much longer. The thing that bugs me is that I'd need a double rail for our bed, but I'd like to be able to use it for her toddler bed when the time comes... Except the double rails don't fit on a toddler bed. And I'd only need a single rail on her toddler bed anyways... Anyone knows of an inexpensive alternative?
#122 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
Ok, Craigslist people came and went and I'm still alive, hurray!! And I made 110$, not too shabby Then dh asked if I'd share my profits since he partially paid for the items - NO WAY!! I went to all the trouble of selling the things, the money is mine

I just got my first Just Tomatoes order from a coop, WOW!! That stuff is amazing, Romi and I are going through a large tub of strawberries and by tonight there won't be any left for sure :

Question: Bed rails, anyone use them? Romi is sleeping in our bed and I'm sure the pillows won't hold her in much longer. The thing that bugs me is that I'd need a double rail for our bed, but I'd like to be able to use it for her toddler bed when the time comes... Except the double rails don't fit on a toddler bed. And I'd only need a single rail on her toddler bed anyways... Anyone knows of an inexpensive alternative?
lol i'd keep the money too!

bedrails, we have an old one, but i went to put it up and Caroline can just pull herself up on it and stand up then... well actually she stands up with out pulling up anyway, but i am afraid shes going to flip her self out of the bed! so i took it back down. i used it with my first and i think that once she could pull up i had to stop using it! i have my bed against the wall on one side and try to put her as close to the wall when shes asleep without me in there with pillows blocking her from rolling in her sleep... she still gets up and crawls off tho so i try to run as soon as i hear her waking..

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#123 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz View Post
I think that Chloe knows she is my last baby and is growing up pretty slowly compared to some of the other babes around here! She can't really crawl, just pushes herself backwards and gets annoyed about it... she does this little bum scooching thing where she seems to magically move around the room while still in a sitting position... very clever! She also has no teeth yet. I love her little toothless grin - I'll miss it when she has a mouth full of teeth. I'm a little anxious that she will get 10 in at once.

I'm happy to be finished having babies, but lately I'm a little sad that I won't ever be pg again or hold my own tiny newborn again... but I'm really excited to watch all of my kids grow up and do different things. Motherhood is bittersweet, isn't it? :

Caroline is my last also and it is so sad!!! this last part really hits home i am happy to be finished but i am so sad i will never have my own tiny newborn again!! and i am also so excited to watch and see my kids all grow and see what they will be!

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#124 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 10:51 AM

Romi is my last here too... And it is very bittersweet... And while I don't think I'm really cut out to have more than 2, the primal yearning for another is definitely there. *sigh*
#125 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateSerj View Post
lol i'd keep the money too!

bedrails, we have an old one, but i went to put it up and Caroline can just pull herself up on it and stand up then... well actually she stands up with out pulling up anyway, but i am afraid shes going to flip her self out of the bed! so i took it back down. i used it with my first and i think that once she could pull up i had to stop using it! i have my bed against the wall on one side and try to put her as close to the wall when shes asleep without me in there with pillows blocking her from rolling in her sleep... she still gets up and crawls off tho so i try to run as soon as i hear her waking..
Mmmm, our bed isn't on a wall cause of the way the room is shaped (long and narrow) so we definitely need something to keep her in there... I'm not worried about her getting up and flipping over, more of her rolling around in her sleep and falling off the edge of the bed.
#126 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
:happy birthday Desmond:
Oh, wow! I missed this! Happy belated birthday, Desmond!

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#127 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post
Oh, wow! I missed this! Happy belated birthday, Desmond!

Don't worry it was only his 11 month birthday, not his real one. Still have almost a month on that (eek!).

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#128 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:

I love my just tomato stuff, I just bought some off the website, because the co-op I was waiting for took forever. It is finally running though and I'm getting more stuff. It is great and Desmond loves the fruit, we are kind of eh on the veggies though.

As for a bed rail, we had one for awhile, but it was a pain so we took it down. Desmond is in the middle of a King bed though and he doesn't move quite enough for us to be worried about him falling off. And he knows how to get down when he is awake (we have a gate in the hall to keep him in though). So we are just doing without for now.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#129 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 03:25 PM

Good to know, I might hold off on the bedrail for a while then... We're gonna try a mattress on the floor tonight, see how that works out. I'm desperate for some sleep.

As for the Just Tomatoes, I was eh about the veggies too, then I started munching on them absentmindedly and by this morning I had eaten a WHOLE LARGE TUB!!!! Yep, I'm a pig. 8oz on veggies. So I need to order more pronto.
#130 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrizia View Post
We sold an exercise bike through Craig's list and the whole mass murderer thing kind of scared me too, but it seems to have worked out fine, since we're all still alive and we sold the bike a few weeks ago.
this made me chuckle...

Quote:

really, you like the just tomatoes?? i'll have to try them. they have them for pretty cheap at our co-op (store).

i looove our bedrail. it's only on one side, but i use it so that zenon can sleep on one side of me (with the rail next to him) and kaylo sleeps on the other side of me. it's worked great. your situation is a little different, though. i got mine off of ebay for cheap. shipping may be more to ca though--if it's a us-seller.

i feel for you mamas who are done having babes...i'm not ready for another but i'm glad zenon isn't my last. he's growing so fast and i'm sad about it even though i'll most likely have more.

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#131 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krismarie View Post
really, you like the just tomatoes?? i'll have to try them. they have them for pretty cheap at our co-op (store).
I'm not the OP, but we love the Just Tomatoes brand here. I buy the fruit occasionally (it's awfully sweet for me), but we buy the veggies.

Things I keep on hand:
just roasted garlic, just onion, just green onion, just mushrooms, just peppers. The roasted garlic is divine. I grind it up and use it to flavor pilafs and the like. The others are all great for dips and quick soups.

The peas and corn are nice for snacking or to toss in soup. I like the fruit mix that has sour cherries in it. The pineapples are like candy.

#132 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I'm not the OP, but we love the Just Tomatoes brand here. I buy the fruit occasionally (it's awfully sweet for me), but we buy the veggies.

Things I keep on hand:
just roasted garlic, just onion, just green onion, just mushrooms, just peppers. The roasted garlic is divine. I grind it up and use it to flavor pilafs and the like. The others are all great for dips and quick soups.

The peas and corn are nice for snacking or to toss in soup. I like the fruit mix that has sour cherries in it. The pineapples are like candy.
thanks!

chicken3.gif mama knit.gif to 3 farmboys (9 reading.gif, 6 blahblah.gif & 3 notes2.gif ) and 1 farmgirl (baby.gif)
#133 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
IAww, I am so sorry you missed him standing up. I'd figure he was just ready to do it though. I mean no one could make Desmond stand on his own until he was ready to do so.
I know they couldn't make him stand if he didn't want to...but the video they have of him standing is up on a counter. My brother said that he did it on his own first, but I can't help but feel like they coaxed it out of him....I know I am probably just being hormonal. It would have been different if he had just crawled over to something, stood up and let go and just stood there, but he only does it if placed into a stand -- or at least that is all I have seen.....

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#134 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:

I love just tomatoes too. Claire can eat their stuff. Beware of the blueberries. They really turn your mouth/teeth blue.

We have a bed rail on E's twin bed. We used it with M as they transitioned into the twin bed. We bought it at target.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!
#135 of 420 Old 03-07-2008, 09:58 PM

Those using rails, what brand are you using?

As for Just Tomatoes, I don't find the fruits too sweet at all, then again I've got a serious sweet tooth! But I bought the munchies and the sour cherries in there are really tart! I haven't cooked with the veggies, just ate it like popcorn. I'm gonna use the blueberries for cooking though, I don't like them that much as a snack.
#136 of 420 Old 03-08-2008, 03:44 AM

Quote:
I know it's a really bad picture but you can ignore my blinking hubbie, blurry baby, messy bed, and imagine:

Sidecar the Crib

We have the crib up next to the mattress, with one "long side" removed -- it's somehow the same height. For the gap, we have a changing pad/mattress in between and its smoothed out with towels laid across the crib and bed.
For us, this works well, most of the time. I can put Savannah in the crib and I half-lay in the crib to nurse her to sleep. During the night, I either roll over to her (in my sleep) or pull her over to me for the rest of the night.
Otherwise DH kept laying on her arms... I think it bothered him more than it bothered her He started asking me to keep her on "my side" because he felt sooo bad when it happened. So. Our strange solution. Score one for me!
And then I can tell my "I-don't-understand-why-you-do-things-differently" Mom that Savannah sleeps in the crib! Double score!!

Wife to J. Mama to girly S (4/07), little boy blue E (1/10) and tiny peanut girl due (7/12)

#137 of 420 Old 03-08-2008, 08:30 AM

Thanks Rivka, but I don't think we have enough room in our bedroom for a crib... It sounds like the perfect idea!!

I tried the mattress on the floor last night. It worked from 7h30 to 11h30, then she rolled through the pillow barrier into the floor. I think I'll keep her in bed with us and just get the railing...
#138 of 420 Old 03-08-2008, 08:53 AM

doudat--i think our rail is safetyfirst brand?? i'll have to check later...when zenon is awake. (yes, he is still sleeping and it's 7...he's been getting up b/f 6 lately)

#139 of 420 Old 03-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Banned

We have the crib as a sidecar and I pile up the pillows on the other side if DH is not in bed with us and I might fall asleep, or I'm leaving the room for a minute. Our bed so SO high I guess it'll be fun to teach Soph how to climb down like a footstool or something... but she still only butt scoots so no safe way yet! And the crib's not all that safe on such a high setting; I have pillows against the sides there too so she doesn't try to pul lup and fling herself over!

So Sophie is talking and signing up a storm this week. She clearly understands a TON of words, and now she's starting to express back. So much fun! The read-a-thon of picture books continues, too. That's my verbal girl!

Today MIL put her in the stroller for the first time. The stroller SHE bought at keeps at her house. We have yet to buy one. She drove Sophie around like she was her baby doll, inside. Please someone tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that was odd. Also, I may not be gaga over strollers but it was a FIRST with my first baby, and she did it in another room without me or DH! Okay I could go on for days about this very sweet but irritating at times woman, so I'll stop here... it was a sweet lunch with the family at least.

UGH, I typed this last night but got interrupted... so here goes! Sorry if a lot has been posted since then and I look clueless, lol!
#140 of 420 Old 03-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
Today MIL put her in the stroller for the first time. The stroller SHE bought at keeps at her house. We have yet to buy one. She drove Sophie around like she was her baby doll, inside. Please someone tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that was odd. Also, I may not be gaga over strollers but it was a FIRST with my first baby, and she did it in another room without me or DH! Okay I could go on for days about this very sweet but irritating at times woman, so I'll stop here... it was a sweet lunch with the family at least.

We actually have a stroller for Desmond at home (well two), but it still scared me quite a bit when my mother in law put him in the stroller she used for DH. The fact that she had to safety pin the straps together didn't really help that feeling. Fortunately I was in the room and she just took him to the backyard. It still wasn't overly safe and fortunately my Father in Law was smart enough to mention that it probably wasn't safe to keep using it. So she got her grandchild using the same stroller as his Dad, and we got our, please don't use it again.

I am kind of upset. DH got me a Beco Butterfly for my birthday, I got it early to take it with me to Atlanta, so of course I get one of the ones that has just been recalled. Now I need to go ship it back to Beco and get it retro fitted and won't be able to use it in Atlanta. I am really glad they were so fast in the recall, but I really wanted to use it. Oh well now it will actually arrive right around my birthday.

#141 of 420 Old 03-08-2008, 04:03 PM

I've been offline for a few days... we finally got our condo on the market!
#142 of 420 Old 03-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
We actually have a stroller for Desmond at home (well two), but it still scared me quite a bit when my mother in law put him in the stroller she used for DH. The fact that she had to safety pin the straps together didn't really help that feeling. Fortunately I was in the room and she just took him to the backyard. It still wasn't overly safe and fortunately my Father in Law was smart enough to mention that it probably wasn't safe to keep using it. So she got her grandchild using the same stroller as his Dad, and we got our, please don't use it again.

I am kind of upset. DH got me a Beco Butterfly for my birthday, I got it early to take it with me to Atlanta, so of course I get one of the ones that has just been recalled. Now I need to go ship it back to Beco and get it retro fitted and won't be able to use it in Atlanta. I am really glad they were so fast in the recall, but I really wanted to use it. Oh well now it will actually arrive right around my birthday.
It was a NEW stroller, so not bad as putting her in a nearly 30 year old stroller, but odd in a different way-- she went out and bought a stroller for our baby, keeps it at her house, put my baby in it like a babydoll... and has no actual use for it. Ach, it's just part of the whole way she and FIL act like Sophie exists for their entertainment-- they always say how she's "putting on a show" for them and discuss each part of her like she's cuts of chicken "what a thigh! what a neck!" rubbing and staring at each part and ignoring how she's looking at their face all confused and :. I feel they don't respect her as a person. They are way better than some people who think CIO or hitting is okay, but as a feminist I am uptight about this, I guess! And I am being over-protective/possessive mama-bear. But based on our history, I say I get to be!

Oh, and I have a butterfly too. I am ready to drive up to Newport Beach and trade in mine for another! Or actually get my $$ back, b/c I am rather put off by the whole thing (and my 4th gen starting to fall apart! I just sold my BH so now I had to steal back DH's MTB to use, and it's not as comfy in the waist as a SSC). Ah well! I hope you get yours back soon.
#143 of 420 Old 03-08-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Margaret View Post
It was a NEW stroller, so not bad as putting her in a nearly 30 year old stroller, but odd in a different way-- she went out and bought a stroller for our baby, keeps it at her house, put my baby in it like a babydoll... and has no actual use for it. Ach, it's just part of the whole way she and FIL act like Sophie exists for their entertainment-- they always say how she's "putting on a show" for them and discuss each part of her like she's cuts of chicken "what a thigh! what a neck!" rubbing and staring at each part and ignoring how she's looking at their face all confused and :. I feel they don't respect her as a person. They are way better than some people who think CIO or hitting is okay, but as a feminist I am uptight about this, I guess! And I am being over-protective/possessive mama-bear. But based on our history, I say I get to be!

Oh, and I have a butterfly too. I am ready to drive up to Newport Beach and trade in mine for another! Or actually get my $$ back, b/c I am rather put off by the whole thing (and my 4th gen starting to fall apart! I just sold my BH so now I had to steal back DH's MTB to use, and it's not as comfy in the waist as a SSC). Ah well! I hope you get yours back soon.
My in-laws think CIO is okay, though they have never actually directly said that too us. They have commented that they have seen manipulative 6 weeks old, which just made me and DH both boggle. They are really great people all in all though, and we don't mind them babysitting, though I don't think they'll get him overnight for quite awhile. I would trust my Mom with him overnight though since she is far more crunchy (and my Mom, yes I am biased).

I am really thankful that we still have our two Mei Tais (and 2 pouches though he's outgrown those). I just can't do a back carry without help with them. I'll be using my Hanukkah present Mei Tai for this trip. I actually really love my Beco, and am just hoping this is the only trouble I have with it, it fits so nicely for back carries. Oh well, I am glad they were quick about the recall at least, even if it is an inconvenience for me.

#144 of 420 Old 03-08-2008, 10:29 PM

Oh oh oh, thank you Rivka : The crib fits in our room finally!! So we stuck it on our bed with the railing off and we'll hope for the best.

15 inches of snow so far falling here. I'm fed up. :
#145 of 420 Old 03-08-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Oh oh oh, thank you Rivka : The crib fits in our room finally!! So we stuck it on our bed with the railing off and we'll hope for the best.

15 inches of snow so far falling here. I'm fed up. :

Yay crib fitting, I am really debating figuring out if that will work in our bedroom. A safe place to leave Desmond sleeping would just be nice, plus he likes to sleep sideways which takes up a lot of bed.

#146 of 420 Old 03-08-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismomkoofie View Post
I've been offline for a few days... we finally got our condo on the market!
Woo-hoo!! Congrats and good luck : The condo looks great by the way! I'm sure it'll sell

Strollers: I actually love my stroller : I don't own a car so having romi in the carrier and no where to put the "stuff" is nearly impossible all the time.
But I do find it weird that your IL's bought a stroller to keep at their house... Bizarre.
#147 of 420 Old 03-08-2008, 11:04 PM

My MiL bought an umbrella stroller now that DS fits into one. This way we don't have to lug a stroller to NJ (that's valuable trunk space!) and Mr. YouMustCarryMeAroundInCirclesForAnHour is happy to be pushed in circles in the house. He likes the novel view. And, y'know, if I want to try on jeans at the mall, it's handy to have a stroller instead of just using the sling or Ergo.

In other news, Ronan wants you to all know that he's done with baby milestones and has moved on.

#148 of 420 Old 03-08-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Woo-hoo!! Congrats and good luck : The condo looks great by the way! I'm sure it'll sell

Strollers: I actually love my stroller : I don't own a car so having romi in the carrier and no where to put the "stuff" is nearly impossible all the time.
But I do find it weird that your IL's bought a stroller to keep at their house... Bizarre.
Thanks! We have an open house tomorrow, so tonight we're just trying to keep it neat.

We have a stroller. It was Ari's when she was little - a cheap umbrella stroller. Mom used it for Abby a few times, but I've never had a need - we have no where to walk here!:
#149 of 420 Old 03-09-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
In other news, Ronan wants you to all know that he's done with baby milestones and has moved on.
That is the cutest picture ever!!!

So much snow today, it's insane. We had a crazy blizzard last night, roads were closed, visibility was zero, so many accidents. I swear this is one of the worst winters (in terms of snow, the temperature was actually warmer than usual) in a while. Global warming anyone?

And since I'm feeling chatty, I saw this article in the news today It's in french, but essentially it says the city of Montreal is starting a new campaign uniting cafés/restaurants owners with breastfeeding mothers. Stores (that want to) will be given the sticker seen in the article essentially welcoming nursing mothers into their establishments. I find that cool. Cause some mothers are so scared of NIP that this might be an incentive to make them feel at ease. And I like the idea of seeing those stickers all over Montreal
#150 of 420 Old 03-09-2008, 01:19 PM

: Oh gees - I just wrote a big long post and quoted other people and something screwed up and it disappeared. Guess I'll just say "Hi" for now until I have time to come back and write my post again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page