covering a baby's face while in the bucket - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I was at a restaurant yesterday and the people at the next table had a baby in a bucket, completely covered. They had one of those bundle me things, that zips all the way up and just has a small hole for the face. And then they had a blanket over his face. Not like a light receiving blanket, a nice thick warm blanket, folded at least twice, covering the baby's face! It wasn't "tented" in any way. Completely touching his face. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around what they were thinking. The dad lifted the blanket up slightly and peeked in every few minutes. So at least there was some fresh air. And he seemed so.. stealthful while peeking. Only barely lifting the blanket. I thought maybe they were hoping the baby would go to sleep. Why have the blanket DIRECTLY on the baby, rather than making a tent over the handle of the carrier? Its like these people had no idea that actual *oxygen* is required, not merely the ability to draw a breath of air, and that it can run out in small spaces without adequate ventilation.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2008, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't stand seeing this. I've seen parents walk their babies all the way through a store with the baby completely covered in a thick blanket. It scares the hell out of me.

Maybe this baby was a preemie or had health problems and the parents are trying to protect him, but they should still make sure there's a big gap between the blanket and the baby!
Old 03-02-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammaarah View Post
I can't stand seeing this. I've seen parents walk their babies all the way through a store with the baby completely covered in a thick blanket. It scares the hell out of me.

Maybe this baby was a preemie or had health problems and the parents are trying to protect him, but they should still make sure there's a big gap between the blanket and the baby!
:

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
Old 03-03-2008, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Yeah, I considered maybe he had a health condition that would make potential illness serious.. but even still, they could drape the blanket over the handle! Or if the potential for illness was that serious, maybe stay out of popular restaraunts at peak time on saturday? lol.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 03-03-2008, 12:27 AM

Yikes. My kids have always been too hot for much cover. There's no way I'd do the blanket over the face. I couldn't even do the blanket over the handle.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 03-03-2008, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My friend does that with her son. I don't get it, she says it's to protect his face from the cold when she takes him out. I have told her he should be fine without a blanket completely covering him, but she still does it.

Angel Wife to Daniel Mama to Astrid (11/06) Leland (9/09)
Old 03-03-2008, 01:36 AM

I pray that they don't learn the dangers of that the hard way.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:37 AM

Stupid question what's a bucket? has someone got a photo so I know what your talking about?

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
Old 03-03-2008, 08:11 AM

lol i think some people refer to a carseat as a 'bucket'(the infant car seats.. that you can take out of the car)
Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie143 View Post
lol i think some people refer to a carseat as a 'bucket'(the infant car seats.. that you can take out of the car)

ahhh know I know what you mean - thanks

Sam, mum to: Ian, James, Lottie, Maddy, Jack, Ruby, Bronte & Sophia and Nate
Old 03-03-2008, 09:13 AM

Tenting for a limited amount of time, I can see- though frankly, I still got comments on that when in public and I only did it twice! But putting what is basically a pillow on the baby's face? I would say something, something like, "Sorry to disturb you, but I just wanted to let you know that now the AAP is recommending that the baby's face not be directly covered, that there be a bit more room for air, because of a suffocation hazard."

I do not think that there is any reason you would ever want to directly cover the baby's face. Even if there is a danger of infection, tenting a thin blanket should be just as effective (if not more so because of the added air in between the baby's face and the blanket...)

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
Old 03-03-2008, 10:00 AM

Would those be the people who are scared of cosleeping because the baby could suffocate under your blankets?????:
Old 03-03-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright-midnight View Post
My friend does that with her son. I don't get it, she says it's to protect his face from the cold when she takes him out. I have told her he should be fine without a blanket completely covering him, but she still does it.
An American friend of ours married a Ukrainian girl. When they had their baby, his mother nearly had a coronary .... when she visited them in Ukraine, the mother swaddled the baby and put him in his bassinet basket, put a blanket over him (not his face) and put him on the back porch for his nap! She says Ukrainians always do this with their babies to acclimate them to the extreme cold weather there.: I guess you just never know ......
Old 03-03-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittendrin View Post
Would those be the people who are scared of cosleeping because the baby could suffocate under your blankets?????:
: I cracked up when I read this. The issue is definitely not funny, but the irony totally is!
Old 03-03-2008, 02:01 PM

I always wondered why people covered the bucket at all...I always just put up the shade.

I hadn't thought about germs.

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
Old 03-03-2008, 03:00 PM

I do this (on the infrequent occasions when the bucket leaves the truck) to protect him from wind/sun/distractions. When he was little & sleepy/sleeping, I'd keep a light blanket over him (over the handle) because if he opened his eyes he'd see "nothing" & go back to sleep.

It would freak me out to see a tiny baby with a blanket full on his face like that, though. Even though you would probably see/hear baby flailing if they were suffocating. As long as the baby bucket wasn't tucked under the table or something (which I've heard some parents do).
Old 03-03-2008, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I pray that they don't learn the dangers of that the hard way.
:

I *hate* seeing this and can't imagine that there is any good reason for it. I'd rather my sick/preemie baby catch a cold than suffocate.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamonamon View Post
I do this (on the infrequent occasions when the bucket leaves the truck) to protect him from wind/sun/distractions. When he was little & sleepy/sleeping, I'd keep a light blanket over him (over the handle) because if he opened his eyes he'd see "nothing" & go back to sleep.

It would freak me out to see a tiny baby with a blanket full on his face like that, though. Even though you would probably see/hear baby flailing if they were suffocating. As long as the baby bucket wasn't tucked under the table or something (which I've heard some parents do).

I raised the shade and tented a light blanket on walks from the car into the building if the sun was glaring, or there was a bitter wind/snow, too. Since my kiddo wouldn't stay asleep in the bucket if you pulled it out of the car, I just uncovered her when we got into the building.

But a baby in a bucket, sitting on the floor/under the table in a restaurant, with a thick blanket sitting on their face? I probably would have said something. That freaks me out.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight girl View Post
An American friend of ours married a Ukrainian girl. When they had their baby, his mother nearly had a coronary .... when she visited them in Ukraine, the mother swaddled the baby and put him in his bassinet basket, put a blanket over him (not his face) and put him on the back porch for his nap! She says Ukrainians always do this with their babies to acclimate them to the extreme cold weather there.: I guess you just never know ......
This is what my family used to do, I don't.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

Old 03-03-2008, 04:28 PM

When I was a very new mommy who didn't yet know better, I would shop with my very tiny baby in his carseat, with light recieving blankets tucked around his legs and a big recieving blanket draped over the handle, covering the whole bucket like a tent. I did it for three reasons: To keep him from being terrified from the bustle and noise in the crowded store. To keep people's stray coughed-out airborne germs away from him. And also, because I used to work at the store where I grocery shop, LOTS of people would come over wanting to poke around the baby and coochie-coo in his face (which I didn't like, again due to germs). As long as I had the cover over him, my nosy former coworkers assumed Boo was sleeping.

Fortunately, as Boo grew I learned about slings and left the bucket in the car entirely.

I don't know why anyone would put a blanket directly ON a baby's face, though. Seems like an overhead drape is plenty to keep out cold drafts, germs and scary sights and sounds.

Homeschooling, organic gardening, jewelry-making, bread-baking pagan mama to Bubba:
Old 03-03-2008, 04:38 PM

How tiny was the baby? Unless something was very wrong, it is highly unlikely that the baby would suffocate without an obvious struggle.

I often covered my baby (generally over the handle) when she was sleeping and I was running errands. I don't see any problem with this. If she was awake, I didn't take the car seat with me, but if she was sleeping, I thought (and still think) that her rest was more important than people potentially judging me for leaving my baby in her seat while I shopped or ate.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:51 PM

I'm in Northern Ontario, and I cover the baby's face full on - from the house to the car, from the car to the store, etc. In minus god only knows what temperature - my face hurts from the cold. I would not expose an infant to it... Having said that, I do co-sleep and my dd's have only ever slept on their tummies.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
Old 03-03-2008, 05:24 PM

I actually just got back from a walk with DS and DF. DF put DS in the stroller (yeah we babywear, but it's too cold, and he's too heavy for long walks in the wind). When I came out I found that DF had put a thick pleece balnket right over DS's face. He's not a tiny baby, but in his snowsuit and wrapped up he could fight it off....we had a talk about that.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight girl View Post
Hey, my MIL used to do that! She said she did it with all her kids. She wanted to make sure they had fresh air everyday. Her mom did it with her as well. Not so strange.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:53 AM

My stepdad used to leave my brothers in the bucket, in the house with a blanket tented on it. I was 16 at the time and it bugged me so bad. I got grounded once for letting him know they're not parakeets and don't need to be covered like that to sleep. Because of that, I'm very conscious of other ppls' bucket behaviors, lol. I just can't think of any logical explanation they had for not at least tenting it!
Old 03-04-2008, 03:03 AM

i think covering the baby's face briefly while getting in and out of the car in a -50 degree windchill is much different from keeping it covered in a restaurant. i can't see why you'd do that!

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc

User Tag List