I dislocated my baby's elbow - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-03-2008, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess it's a pretty common injury, but I only knew what it was because of a thread I had read here, so I thought I should pass on my experience.

She was playing on her tummy in bed this morning when she got hungry. I was wrestling her into a side-lying position to nurse and she started crying, which is NOT normal for her. Her dad tried to calm her, and he stripped her down to check her out but didn't see anything wrong. I noticed that her left arm was limp and I figured I must have dislocated her elbow in bed. Later after she nursed and calmed down she would only cry when she tried to reach for something or use her arm.

The doctor and nurses asked me about 100 times if I had pulled her by her hands, and I explained each time that no, I didn't do that, because I know you aren't supposed to because it can dislocate the elbow. I was trying to explain what I had been doing when she started crying, but I don't think it really got across. Hopefully the mamas here understand what it's like to wrestle a wriggly 7 month old into position in bed!

Anyway, we took her right to the doctor and he popped it back in and showed us how to fix it if it happened again. She was 100% fine by the time we got into the car. I will certainly be more careful in the future but I just wanted to share my experience so other mamas know if it happens to them. (sigh... rough morning.)

jillian+1 loves Miss MoJo (July 2007) and misses Henri (May 1970 - August 2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-03-2008, 04:31 PM

I'm sorry that happened to you (and your lo)! Don't feel bad; these things happen. Every now and then my daughter's elbow cracks when I am trying to get her into nursing position and I always think of this day...

My nephew dislocated my niece's elbow when she was 2 or 3; probably 2 because she wasn't talking much. He was holding her hands to help her down the stairs and she went limp; he didn't let go (thank goodness, or she would have fallen down the stairs!) and she cried and cried and didn't use her arm. My sister took her to the clinic and they told her that her elbow had been dislocated and that it was already going back in. They said it is fairly common and self-correcting in little ones, so they didn't put it back for her; they just let it go back on its own.
#3 of 5 Old 03-04-2008, 01:46 AM

today, my little one head butted me in the face and got sores on her forehead and nose. and then she was screaming! i felt so silly, having my baby hurt by butting her headi nto me. oi! but, she's fine now.
i think that things like this happen often and not to be too concerned about it.
#4 of 5 Old 03-04-2008, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Be careful.

If your baby has any other bone injuries, you will be scrutinized more closely by the ER staff.

Ask your pediatrician to check for any bone softness or abnormalities. My younger sister was investigated relentlessly by CPS when her newborn DD had several small breaks and was later diagnosed with tetany and juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. The diagnosis came after many intrusions and investigations by CPS and rude questioning by the ER staff.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#5 of 5 Old 03-04-2008, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Well, fortunately we didn't have to go to the ER, just our regular ped's practice (not our doctor, just the one that happened to be on-call this morning). He was pretty cool about the questions, just trying to figure out what happened and maybe educate me if I didn't know that pulling on a baby's arm can dislocate it. It just got a little old.

I kind of feel like at this nice middle-class ped's office they are less likely to jump to nasty conclusions than they would at the ER. It's awful to say that but I just think ER docs might tend to think nastier things about their pt's than regular peds do. KWIM?

Anyway. Dislocation is a soft-tissue issue, isn't it? Stretchy ligaments or some such?

jillian+1 loves Miss MoJo (July 2007) and misses Henri (May 1970 - August 2009)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page