Is it Colic? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-05-2008, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby is two months old. Since the first week or so after birth, she has had long cranky spells. She seems uncomfortable, almost in pain and brings her feet up to her chest and also straightens her legs (stiff) and farts quite a bit. It almost seems as if the farts hurt, or just alarm her...but they bring relief as well....after they are all done. She also gets fussy at the breast in the afternoon or evening. She'll be all for feeding, but something, like a reflex, pushes her away from the nipple and she gets so frustrated. She cries and cries after that I have to wait 10 or so minutes to start again....and usually works. She always manages to eat, and is gaining weight wonderfully.
Mylicon works a bit....I think, but not entirely sure.
Otherwise she is a happy baby...especially in the morning.
Just want to make sure it is colic, and not something else. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 PM

It sounds like my son exactly...until I cut dairy from my diet. It might be that your little one has a sensitivity to the protein in cows milk. Try cutting out dairy and see if that helps. It takes about 2 days for you to notice a change or not.

Edited to add: It could be gas caused from other sources in your diet too, cabbage and broccoli etc.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Diana,
So should I try cutting out cow's milk only or all dairy (cheese, etc)?
Old 03-05-2008, 10:13 PM

I would go with all dairy. My baby had that too, cutting out dairy (and potatoes in our case) solved the problem altogether. He's 6 months now, and I have been able to reintroduce dairy. He's still farty, but he's not cranky or fussy anymore.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:26 PM

I agree w/ the PPs...I think that it's gas rather than colic.

My first was a happy baby who sometimes experienced this...I would pump her legs for five minutes or so & the pain would pass. (But isn't it awful, the look on their face and the squirming?!)

When my 2nd was 5 weeks old, she started screaming...12-14 hours a day. NON-STOP. By the second day, we started thinking colic & I eliminated everything but bread, water, fruit, etc. By the weekend, the screaming was reduced to two hours, from about 6-8 pm. I d/n eat/drink any dairy for the next six months.

One of the Sears books has a box on "foods to avoid." Onions, garlic (except garlic powder), dairy, peppers & broccoli seemed to be the big issue w/ mine.

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:57 AM

sounds just like my son was. i tried cutting out everything. dairy for over a week and no help. caffeine, etc. never did try onions or garlic for long enough probably... if your diet doesn't help, just know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. by 3 months he was better, then 4 months a lot better...
Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 AM

"Gripe water" seems to help my baby. I don't know how different it is from Mylicon, if at all, but it worked for me. ( I bought just about everything on the shelf at Walgreens one night at 10 in desperation!)

Christina, proud mama of 2 strong, brilliant, creative, kind, beautiful girls from A to Z. Wife of 11 years to best friend and awesome papa, Brian. :::

User Tag List