educational videos???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-12-2003, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds loves to watch the Baby Mozart video and others in that series. He usually watches one a day. I was at a friend's house and she said she only lets her son watch the video once or twice a month. I thought that I was doing something educational for ds. Am I just being bamboozled by the ads? Should I not let ds watch these videos?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-12-2003, 08:07 AM

I imagine it is not like you trap him in baby prison and make him watch the videos...my ds loves to watch the baby einstien stuff and sesame street. I put the video on, he watches for a few minutes, tools around the living room a bit, goes back to the video, plays a bit.....he definately enjoys them but his attention span is that of an 11 mo old.

I think the videos are educational and they are not overwhelming....so if your little one enjoys them daily, what is the problem?

#3 of 6 Old 09-12-2003, 12:25 PM

according to the AAP, babies under 2 arent supposed to watch any tv. but i'm not one to talk.....my 20mo loves her bunny video...
#4 of 6 Old 09-12-2003, 06:32 PM

I think educational videos can be wonderful entertainment if they're used properly . The colors, shapes, sounds, etc. are great for their growing brains. You can try holding your baby while he watches them, and interacting with him too... like pointing to things on the screen and naming them, singing the songs you know, counting, etc. I really like the original Baby Einstein with the alphabet, counting, songs and stories in different languages for that. Don't know about ds, but that one is *my* favorite!
#5 of 6 Old 09-12-2003, 07:41 PM

I too let my baby watch Baby Einstein. She enjoys it, and it isn't like she is glued to the tube. She plays with her toys while it's on. I also point to things and name them, ect. I really don't think it's going to hurt unless you replace one-on-one contact w/ the TV.
#6 of 6 Old 09-12-2003, 10:40 PM

I'm glad to hear this! I usually let DS watch one a day, too, while I am trying to make dinner. He plays while watching it, but does watch them. This week I did a search on past posts and saw where they were flamed a bit. I felt guilty and thought I might be doing something bad. But, when it's pouring down rain here and we can't go outside, we both really like the Baby Neptune video. It rains a lot here .. so I figure ... it's going to be watched..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page