will a pack carrier work for me? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-13-2003, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Ladies!
Awhile back I posted here and on another APBB about wanting a pouch, and asked for advice about which was best for me and my needs. After reading all the great advice and recommends I found and ordered myself a hemp fleece pouch with rails from a WAHM. I was so excited to get slingin'. My DS and I had always been attached, but I had always just carried him. I hate to say I am disapointed with my purchase. I don't like the way it lays on my shoulder, and it feels heavy even w/o DS inside! DS doesn't like it for more than a few mins either. He fusses after about 5 mins. The fabric seems to bunch up, and even though its a pouch it feels bulky and hot. I don't think it's the pouches design that's flawed, I can tell it's well made.I don't care for the way it looks on me either. (dumb vanity i know) I don't know what I should do. I clearly made the wrong choice and I feel silly.
I so want to have the option of a carrier but I'm not real excited that I'll have to spend another 50+ dollars to try another style out. My DH was a little annoyed that I didn't like this sling after we spent $50 on it too. Maybe I'll like it with a newborn when I have my next? I'm going to keep it just in case.
Now that I've tried this pouch I hate to say I'm even more confused. maybe i should have tried the maya pouch or something like that? I think I would like to try a pack style carrier out, I think DH would support a pack purchase because he might actually use it to? I would like to get your recommends on the best pack style carrier.

My DS is 5 months old already and around 19 pounds. I am a plus size woman, wearing a 20/22 shirt. I sometimes suffer from back pain so comfort is important. DS likes to sit up on my hip now...maybe the Sutemi pack? something thats not super hot would be great too, cause even though its fall I live in FL. I would like to make this purchase work because i will be traveling by plane and would like to use the carrier in the airport.
Thanks So much for any advice on this....
Kathryn
#2 of 2 Old 09-13-2003, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a plus size mama too, so I've had to try out a lot of different slings and packs to see what worked for us. We have waaaay too many baby carriers, but these are the ones we use the most:

OTSBH padded sling in XL: I use this when popping in and out of the car for errands. Goes on quickly, she's snuggled up to me so strangers don't poke at her, and the padding is comfortable on my shoulder. I don't use this sling for long wear because my back muscles start to hurt.

Baby Bjorn with extra long straps: both DH and I use this for long walks and grocery store trips. Leaves my hands free, DD loves facing out, and I put a couple of those padded car seatbelt covers where the straps are over my shoulder and it's heavenly. Also stresses my back when I wear it too long, but that's usually after like an hour long walk.

Hip Hammock: DH uses this more often than I do. I was worried when I ordered it that the waist strap wouldn't fit me, but it does. I find this less comfy than the OTSBH but DH loves it for ease of use and how comfortable she sits on his hip. Not exactly hands free, requires you to reach one arm around the baby to do things in front of you, but it works really well for them.

I used a New Native style XL sling for DD when she was tiny, but we are both less comfortable with it now that she is bigger. She's 6 months, 28" and about 16 lbs.

Well, this post was all about me, but I hope you find it helpful.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page