what if i dont do tummy time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 2 1/2 month old doesn't like being on his tummy. He cries and kicks like crazy... I told my ped i didn't do tummy time and he said my baby wouldn't learn to roll over.... does it matter?? advice, please?

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 09:02 PM

At that age, my babe hated it too. Around 3.5-4 months old she began to tolerate it much better. She learned to role over and crawl right on time, no problems.

We didn't push it, she just one day decided it wasn't pure torture to be on her belly.
#3 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 09:10 PM

I don't really know the answer...but I have to think, not *everyone* does tummy time, I don't know if my mom did with me... Everyone grows up being able to roll over! I think it may be pushed more in terms of avoiding "flat-head", which can happen with certain babies who are a bit prone to it, if they are laying on their backs too much. The babies I've known of who got flat-head were the type of baby that could be left lying on a blanket on a floor for long periods - really easy-going babies who weren't longing to be held all the time. So they were spending awake hours on their backs as well as sleeping.

TOtally anecdotal, I'm no expert . . .

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#4 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 09:11 PM

i never did it cuz my lo hated it then just before he turned 3 monthes he learned to roll onto his tummy and now if i am not holding him he will roll onto his tummy and do early crawling stuff. i did try tummy time once when he was 6 weeks old and he rolled over onto his back. he never had to learn it he just did it and so tummy time wasn't an optiobn anyway since he didn't want to stay on his tummy. i think tummy time is not needed and if you wear your baby in a carrier they exercise the same muscles or so i have read

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#5 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 09:11 PM

DD hated it too so we never did it. She started rolling over on her own around 2 and 1/2 months. Now she's a rolling fool!

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#6 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 09:11 PM

I think the big issue with tummy time is head shape (or plagiocephaly - back-to-sleep camaign funny lookin' noggins). I had a plagio baby - my #3. I to this day don't believe it was only back-to-sleep but pure genetics (his skull, the shape, size that he was born - he had a huge head from brith, and still has a huge head) that contributed to his funny lookin' noggin (and the subsequent helmet).

If babe doesn't like it at 2 months - wear your baby, don't leave too often in carseats, co-sleep (my babes were more side sleepers as co-sleepers, easier to nurse) - and try again at 4, 5 or 6 months.

Mycurrent babe (#4) didn't do anything too different than #3 (funny noggin' kid) other than he spent a heck of a lot less time in the carseat and more time in a wrap - his head is fine - I think genetics, and a 'good' shape of head from birth. He didn't really roll until 6-7 months - no tummy time, maybe, personality, maybe.

Either way - don't sweat it, wear your baby and look at his noggin every now and again.
#7 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 09:12 PM

tell your ped he's a dork.
we never did tummy time since dd1 hated it. she learned to roll over and she's just fine.
how many adults that you know are still laying there trying to learn to roll over?

treehugger.gif river and mountain mama to two amazing dust.gif girls, homebirth.jpg 8.25.05 and h20homebirth.gif 1.13.08, and married to my soulmate of 18 yrs partners.gif

#8 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverundine View Post
how many adults that you know are still laying there trying to learn to roll over?

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#9 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 10:00 PM

I never "did tummy time," and my ten-year-old is extremely athletic, and my seven-month-old is a quick-moving mobile demon. However, I did wear both kids pretty constantly. In other words, they didn't spend much time on their backs, either. Basically, I just wore them a lot, and when they squirmed to get down, I put them down. Shortly after that, they rolled and then crawled. But "doing tummy time"? Uh, no.
#10 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 10:55 PM

My DD is 4 months old and still hates tummy time, so we just don't do it. I wear her most of the time like the PPs stated. I think her head is perfect , and to me that's the biggest reason for babies getting ample tummy time. They *will* eventually learn to roll over. I do try her on her tummy a couple times a week to see if she's enjoying it yet. I'm sure at some point she'll have fun with TT, but until then I'm not going to force it. At this point, my job is to make her happy.
#11 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 11:05 PM

I think instead of tummy time you should be shooting for not-back time. I have seen babies who spend too much time on their backs and their heads are all flopping around when they should be old enough to hold them up. If you carry your baby upright s/he will gain that head control and core body strength that s/he is supposed to be getting from tummy time.

And if your LO really hates being on his tummy, then putting him on it will really motivate him to learn to roll -- onto his back that is!

jillian+1 loves Miss MoJo (July 2007) and misses Henri (May 1970 - August 2009)
#12 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
we never did tummy time since dd1 hated it. she learned to roll over and she's just fine.
LOL I totally agree! DD hated it too but at a certain point (can't remember how many months) she totally changed & wanted it...but she let me know & I just followed her cues, she sortof squirmed me into putting her in tummy time a month after I had given up on it.
#13 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
At that age, my babe hated it too. Around 3.5-4 months old she began to tolerate it much better. She learned to role over and crawl right on time, no problems.

We didn't push it, she just one day decided it wasn't pure torture to be on her belly.

Same here. I did keep at it, but not every day, and only for a few minutes. One thing I did was lay her on her tummy in her crib, and I sat in the floor beside her crib so she was at eye level. Then I could interact with her. But I'd still go long periods of time without really doing tummmy time. But, she also got held as much as she wanted. By 6 months, I had to keep going to her room at night and turn her back onto her back.
#14 of 42 Old 03-16-2008, 11:34 PM

don't forget that simply holding your baby chest-to-chest can be considered "tummy time." i didn't do official tummy time with my kids either but we held them so much that they gained neck & back strength in other ways.

stephanie asl.gif

#15 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 12:07 AM

My dd doesn't really like it, but she'll tolerate it when I actually do it. 5 minutes max though, then she gets mad I do have a friend who didn't do tummy time with her lo and he's 11 mo and not crawling. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#16 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmama8824 View Post
My 2 1/2 month old doesn't like being on his tummy. He cries and kicks like crazy... I told my ped i didn't do tummy time and he said my baby wouldn't learn to roll over.... does it matter?? advice, please?
i never did tummy time. DD did sleep on her tummy, but i think even if she had not, i would've forgotten to do it much

but truthfully when they get a bit older and can actually push up on arms (3-4 months), it gets more natural to sometimes put them down on their tummies. and once they can sit up (DD sat at 5.5 months, before she really started to roll very much), they will lean themselves over and get on tummy or hands and knees.

but your DC will learn to roll over regardless as long as he's not living in his car seat, which if you're on these boards, i highly doubt he is!

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#17 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
don't forget that simply holding your baby chest-to-chest can be considered "tummy time." i didn't do official tummy time with my kids either but we held them so much that they gained neck & back strength in other ways.
I forgot about that. I did that, and it is a great way to get some tummy time. I'd just lay on the floor or ona couch or reclining chair and lay her tummy down on my chest.
#18 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

Ok good, so TT isn't all for rolling over. I wear him most of the time and I do these alternative exercises to help him learn to hold his head up, which he is awesome at, and he enjoys those. I wont push it but maybe try every couple of days. He just doesn't like stuff by his face like that, he turns his head repeatedly looking for a nipple because he thinks its a boob, i guess, then he just gets frustrated! True, some day he will learn to roll over, and it's not like tummy time has been around forever. Thanks for the advice.

#19 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 03:02 AM

You've gotten some good answers here - suffice it to say, that neither of my DC ever had "formal" tummy time and they do not appear to be stunted. In fact, I think most people I know never did tummy time and their children are, by all accounts, developing normally.

I wish that the peds would just adjust their developmental timetables to account for the fact that when they were designed babies were routinely put on their tummies to sleep and so learned to roll earlier (kind of like the formula-charts, KWIM?). And has it occurred to anyone that the reason babies learn to roll off their tummies is because they don't like it?? (I actually think it's some other reason, but this seems plausible ).

I think it is true that babies often do spend too much time on their backs, but that's because they are too often not held enough. Doesn't sound like a problem for you .

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#20 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 03:14 AM

My friend didn't do tummy time with her DD and her DD is just now rolling over (10 months old). BUT, my friend didn't wear or even carry her baby a lot either and I think that makes a big difference as other posters mentioned. DS didn't like his tummy when he was that young either so I would lay with him on my chest, hold him lots and find other ways to strengthen those muscles. As his muscles developed, he began to like being on his tummy so we did more tummy time.

Mama to DS (4/07) homebirth.jpgand DD (3/09) waterbirth.jpg     15****20****25****30****35****40 *whistling.gif**45

#21 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Just out of curiosity, my babe is 2 1/2 months. How much should be be able to hold his head up while on his tummy? Should he be doing "mini push-ups" by now?

#22 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 03:24 AM

Never did it, AND I never put him on his stomach, except once or twice.

My ds from birth would vomit if I put him on his stomach. So it was pretty much settled. He rolled over early enough, he learned to crawl at 5 months and took his first unassisted steps at 8 months and 1 week.

Babies will only get a flat head if they are laying on their backs for extended periods of time. My ds preferred to sleep on his left side after 6 weeks, and still does. I also held him often and used a carrier. He has a nice round head.
#23 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 05:04 AM

2 1/2 months is very young. I wouldn't stress about it.
#24 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 05:18 AM

"tummy time" is an invention of the recent mode of having babies sleep on their backs to prevent SIDS. The problem is that if baby is sleeping on his back AND he spends all day on his back, it slows development of motor skills. This is not such a big deal in itself because they do eventually learn, but the other, in my mind greater, risk is that THEY END UP WITH A FLAT HEAD, which is quite unattractive and no, it does not necessarily rectify itself in the future. It stays flat.

If your baby does not sleep on his back, then I would not worry about it. If your baby does sleep on his back, then I would do as a previous poster said and find ways of not having your baby on his back all the time. This does not necessarily mean tummy time but may mean carrying him in a sling, for example.

Roman Goddess, mom to J (August 2004) and J (April 2009).    h20homebirth.gif signcirc1.gif
#25 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 AM

Quote:
utter rubbish! - My son hated tummy as well! He was quite happy to lay on his back though - we never did tummy time as it upset him so much - but he did roll over and what do you know - hes a running climbing little toddler now! hehe

What would your ped think of a baby who is held continously in a sling - what about us TCC mums? lol - I bet your ped would say they would become vegetables! lol - But I think they are the strongest babies of all! I once read that for a baby, being held in a sling all day is the equivallant of horseback riding (which doesnt look like much but is actually pretty good exercise!)

Its good you are listening to your baby! - They dont like, you respect that! I wouldnt worry and you dont need to do tummy time - espeically if your lo hates it!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#26 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Just what I was thinking too!
#27 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, my babe is 2 1/2 months. How much should be be able to hold his head up while on his tummy? Should he be doing "mini push-ups" by now?
Our LO just started doing mini push ups MAYBE two weeks ago, just before she turned three months.

Rofl about adults just laying there, riverundine.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#28 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 11:08 AM

Neither of my boys liked tummy time so I never pushed it. DS1 skipped crawling but still walked on his first b-day. It *could* be because of the lack of tummy time. DS2 is not interested in crawling @ 9.5 mos. I do tummy time with him by laying him on my chest when I'm laying down and he likes it. If I put him on the floor for tummy time he's crying within a minute.

Don't worry, all babies develop on their own schedule and there isn't much you can do to change it.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#29 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 11:12 AM

I didn't do tummy time. It's just seemed like an odd thing to do, making sure to have the baby on it's tummy for a certain amount of time each day. My dd learned to roll over "on time" and was crawling by 4 months so it obviously wasn't a major issue.

I think (but I could be wrong) that it's more important for babies that spend a lot of time on their backs (in buckets etc), to counteract the flat head issue. If you wear your baby a lot, that shouldn't be a problem.
#30 of 42 Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 PM

My sons hated it too, we never did it. They rolled over just fine right on time

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page