Stay at Home Dad info - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-28-2008, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH is going to be a SAHD when I go back to work in mid-May. Any advice for helping to make it a smooth transition? We already know that she will take a bottle from him, so I'll be pumping during the day and BFing as long as possible in the mornings, evenings, night - whenever DD needs it.

Also - different topic - I have pumped a few times, just to have enough milk so that DH can give her a bottle once in a while and we can know she's ok with it. Each time, I only got about 2 oz. That is NOT enough to keep her filled up, and I'm worried what will happen when I go back to work? Will I have enough milk, if I pump 3 times during the day? Ack - scary!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 03-28-2008, 04:42 PM

There's a pump support tribe somewhere around here that should be able to give you more info.

From whatI remember, eating oatmeal should help increase your milk quantity as well as pumping in the mornings. The more you pump, the more milk you will produce, but it may take a while.

Good luck!
#3 of 5 Old 03-28-2008, 05:14 PM

Hi there!
My dh has been the SAHP at our house for over 5 years now, since my dd was 6 weeks old. It's a wonderful life, I wouldn't have it any other way!

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions or issues. I breastfed my first dd for 14 months while working full-time, pumping during the day and bf on demand nights and weekends.

With my second, I was able to continue breastfeeding well beyond 2 years old, doing the same thing. It really can be done.

What kind of pump are you using? When do you pump? One suggestion if you have an electric pump (if you're going to back to work full-time I assume you do), is that during the first morning feeding, go ahead and pump one side while your babe nurses. Then switch and pump the other side while she nurses on the second side (assuming she nurses both sides per session). I was able to build up a large freezer stash by simply doing that every morning. The morning supply was always abundant enough for pumping and nursing (go, booobies! )

I hope your experience will be as good as mine has been. My girls are so attached to their dad, and to me as well of course, but it is truly heart-warming and a joy to come home to every day.
#4 of 5 Old 03-29-2008, 08:40 AM

My dh is a SAH too. Although I wish I was at home,I love that he is. He and my DS are so close, and he has none of the worries that he can't take care of DS that some dads seem to have.
#5 of 5 Old 03-29-2008, 10:18 AM

Just wanted to second the oatmeal idea for pumping/supply. I saw results with 2 1/2c servings of old fashioned oats a day (not instant). Plus drinking a huge glass of water with each bowl. Oatmeal cookies work too!

At first when I started pumping I would get 1-2oz right after nursing from that side. It was frustrating, but after a week of consistant pumping I get 4oz. You just have to make it part of your routine. I started eating one of my oatmeal bowls before bed and waking up after ds's morning feed to pump 4oz and then just froze it...this way you build a stash in case he goes through a growth spurt at some point and you need to supplement from the freezer until your supply catches up.

Also, make sure you are getting a let down while pumping, if I don't its hard to get much.

Good luck!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page