April Fools :P - Come on out Feb '08 mamas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need our chat thread and I'm not waiting another two days to get one started, so here goes.

Life beckons, unfortunately so I'll be back to post later.
#2 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 10:11 AM

anyone else's baby congested? robin is so snuffly and snorty but she's not sick.

i pumped this morning for the first time using a manual pump a frien gave me. i'm afraid of my electric pump. i got 1 oz, bummer, but i didn't have trouble letting down and i figure i'm not going to master it in one shot, so i'll just try again tomorrow and maybe by next week i'll feel up to using the big scary pump!!

DD is 5 weeks old today. time flies!! she has grown so much.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#3 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 11:54 AM

We're still dealing with Mr. Crabhead here. He keeps doing this thing where he nurses, stays alert for a little bit, and then begins yawning and getting tired. So we swaddle him up, pat him, etc....he appears to go to sleep, and then pops his eyes back open. Then he just crabs/fusses more. I'm getting pretty frustrated, and so is dh. I've had dairy out of my diet for a week now, and I don't see a difference. Dh is going to call the dr. Monday and ask for a prescription for Prevacid as we suspect reflux, but I'm not certain that's going to help either. I wish we could figure out what he needs.

smokeylo, I need to get out my pump too. I'm ready to leave ds3 if only for a tiny bit. I'm afraid to just nurse and leave him with dh even for an hour or so - his nursing schedule is still so unpredictable.

I'm hoping to find some time today to make some felt board pieces for ds2. He's been watching entirely too much TV while I nurse/deal with ds3. I need to think of more activities to keep his interest. I can't wait till it warms up and we can start playing outside regularly.

A happy woman
#4 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 01:05 PM

everything ok Jenn?
#5 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
anyone else's baby congested? robin is so snuffly and snorty but she's not sick.
squirt a little bm in her nose. just in case.

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#6 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
i pumped this morning for the first time using a manual pump a frien gave me. i'm afraid of my electric pump. i got 1 oz, bummer, but i didn't have trouble letting down and i figure i'm not going to master it in one shot, so i'll just try again tomorrow and maybe by next week i'll feel up to using the big scary pump!!
Lauren, I am so relieved that I'm not the only one who feels that way about my pump! It's undoubtedly the most expensive thing I bought during my pregnancy and I've never used it. I was practically in tears when I bought it at the consignment store, even thoiugh the salesperson was very nice, informed me that it cost less than a month's worth of formula, and she and another customer both commended me on being such a wonderful mommy and assured me that everything would be all right with this new chapter of my life as a WOHM.

I stayed home with my big kids and homeschooled on very little money until ds1 was 14, which was an adventure in itself, but it's over now. The whole time I was TTC and PG I thought I accepted pumping and bottles and child csare in the same spirit I accept having to wear clothes, GWB in the White house, my sister's death, and very few vegan options on the menu: unpleasant realities that I can't change by getting upset about them.

Now that he's here...well, I've been very lucky to have two jobs where he can just tag along in the sling and all the frugality skills I learned during all those years with the big kids and those little sources of income I never thought about before: birthday checks and my first tax return since my brief but unfortunate marriage and the $20 bill surrepitiously slipped to me with a whispered "go buy yourself something nice" that I use for what I want most in the world: one more day.

Terran is almost two and a half months old and if we've hit the crisis point yet, I've been able to plug my ears and cover my eyes and not think about it, which I kind of need to do right now: the rent is paid, the kids are fed, the electricity and the internet are still on and lots of people have things much worse. I know I have in the past and I will in the future.

But the big scary pump has another purpose that has nothing to do with capitalism:

donor milk

I so wanted to do that. My first pregnancy symptom with Terran was an excruciating ache in my breasts that I described as "phantom let down"--sort of like the pain new amputeees feel in the limb that is no longer there. At first I only felt it when I read or thought about babies and then it spread to any time I felt compassion for a human, as if I wanted to nurse the whole world! I was taking an online sociology class and when we got to the living conditions of most people in the third world, my chest ached so bad I could hardly function.

After a 16 year gap between births, I still remembered so well waking up engorged and the relief of the little mouth gulping away the pain and pressure and soaking through several shirts every day in spite of doubling up on breast pads and accidentally shooting streams of milk across the room and how it was no big deal if we ran out of creamer for exy's coffee

It was different this time. Terran loves to nurse even more than his siblings did and I can't exactly say I have supply issues when my chubby cheeked little squishy boy is in the 95th percentile weightwise, but my milk never "came in" with that engorged feeling, my breast pads sit unused and I never leak more than enough to leave a slight stain on my bra (I don't notice the dampness) and I've never been able to express more than a drop, sometimes not even that.

I don't feel like a bountiful earth mother any more at all. It's a relationship, not a product. It's made me more commited to veganism as I think of the horror of what it would be like if a "more advanced species" took Terran off to the slaughterhouse so they could lock me up in a cage with the "scary pump" and sell my milk for money. I think of the lifetime of conditioning that makes the thought of picking up a baby calf and trying to nurse it simultaneously disgusting and ridiculous and the sentence "I'm going to run to the 7-11 and pick up a gallon of milk because we're almost out." something "normal".

I have had dreams of wetnursing another MDC mama's baby, but pumping, freezing, and shipping bags of milk to a bank to help an anonymous stranger just doesn't feel like it's going to happen.

My unexpected feelings about milk donation do make me appeciate the incredible gift that my sperm donor gave me all the more: the cup and the syringe were every bit as impersonal as the pump, but the ability to detach enough to spare an abuse victim the trauma of a natural conception and the complete altruism to give what nature intended to be an intimate act between two people who love each other to someone you hardly even know are something he can do and I can't...yet...

Terran's conception in the Motel 6 with the cup and the syringe and the kind stranger was a far greater expression of a far greater form of love than my other kids' "normal" conceptions, IMNSHO, and I need to somehow resolve whether or not I am capable of giving back that kind of love to the universe with the help of that scary pump.
#7 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 02:53 PM

Life here's good, though I don't understand why Sundays go on so long There'll be tears before bedtime, you mark my words.
Anyone know when eyes change colour? I don't think Rivers are going to- they were an incredibly dark bluey grey when he was born, with amber flecks, and they haven't changed at all in two months.
It's his birthday tomorrow I feel so cheated by February, because my baby never got to be exactly a month old. He's changed so much- he's laughing and giggling already, and is so strong! He really isn't a newborn any more
Time for another?

NOS, we crossposted. , mama.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#8 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 03:19 PM

Hey all! A quick hello...hopefully I will keep up with this thread, though I'm not usually good with 80-page-long threads.

NOS...I am totally awed by mamas who donate their milk. I think it's wonderful that you've even considered it.
#9 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Dea

Hellooooo!!!!
Trixie is asleep and I am free to browse MDC!! She gets so fussy and I know she's tired, but she just won't give in, then she just gives out and falls asleep. Does this happen to other babies? Resisting sleep this early?

About pumps.... I have a close personal relationship with mine. I loathe it, and yet it's a bastion of hope. I hate that it makes my night feedings longer, but I know if I keep at it I might result with something. Even if Trixie keeps resisting the breast if I can just produce something to give her I will feel better.

NOS I think it's admirable that you wanted to donate, even if you don't it's nice to know that some people care enough to do the extra work. I had a friend who donated and I looked into seeing if I could buy human milk, but at the place that she donated it was $3.50 an ounce. (the place is non profit, but it's expensive to pasteurize) so we decided to not go that route.

DH and I are finally all moved into our new house, but we're not yet unpacked. It hard to do with a baby that loves to be held. (I'm not complaining) So we're plugging away slowly, and it's coming along. I've realized that this house is lacking in storage, so we're coming up with lots of creative solutions, which mostly means buying more shelves.

fun fun!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#10 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 04:59 PM

Things are good here. Nothing extraordinarily bad has happened, so it's a breath of fresh air. Twyla is getting chubby, and it's amazing to think that she went from being 5 1/2 lbs at birth to where she is now at almost 7 weeks old. I almost want to take her to a ped. just to find out how much she weighs! I guess I don't want to know THAT bad!

NOS, were you vegan when you nursed your other babes? I have talked to a lot of vegan moms who have had supply issues, and I wonder if it may be why you have less milk this time? I hope you don't find that offensive- I used to be vegan, so I'm not making any judgements, just thought I'd mention it.

Helen, I think I remember that if babies' eyes don't change before they are 6 months old, that they won't. Not sure where I heard that, so I don't know for sure if it's accurate, but it seems right. Twyla's are starting to change. Her's were very dark blue, and now I see a bit of brown.

I missed the chatting, too. Thanks for starting this, Jenn!
#11 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
NOS, were you vegan when you nursed your other babes? I have talked to a lot of vegan moms who have had supply issues, and I wonder if it may be why you have less milk this time? I hope you don't find that offensive- I used to be vegan, so I'm not making any judgements, just thought I'd mention it.
Thanks, applecore. I'm not offended and didn't know that, nor am I actually vegan atm; I was for a number of years because of dd's allergy, but I don't think it was diagnosed until ds1 was older than Terran is now.

I want to cut the dairy out completely, of course, but I sometimes find myself in situations where I have a raging hunger and it's either bean 'n cheese burrit9es from the convenience store and the like or nothing. I also started having cravings for salmon in my 3rd trimester and am, at this point in my life, more inclined to give into them than to let dairy back into my regular diet.

I appreciate any suggestions about my supply issue and am a big enough girl to take what is helpful and ignore the rest. I hate to even bring it up when Eilonwy and Dea are so brave about much more serious problems, but yes, it does bother me when Terran obviously wants more than I can give him and starts pounding on my chest with his littlem fist as if it were a candy machine that ate his quarter.

I don't do pediatricians either (any more...yet...whatever...) but according to dd's scale and the charts on Kellymom, he is in the 95th percentile weightwise. I was a big baby too and have never been obese, so I really don't think his weight is so,mething I want to mess with: he shouldn't know what hunger feels like at 2 months of age.

I've been eating enormous quantities of oatmeal for breakfast and drinking Mother's Milk Tea (although I can't afford as much as it says to drink on the package) but haven't tried fenugreek yet. It's not a crisis if I choose not to donate, but if I do it's something I absolutely need to be aware of.

Our milk does change composition as our children get older, so my window of opportunity for helping a premie and potentially even saving a life is going to slam shut forever pretty soon.

Maybe it was my imagination, but it seemed like Terran would fuss every time I even THOUGHT about donating until I showed him a picture of a sick little baby his age like the anonymous stranger we could help and talked to him about it and then he seemed to understand.

Sorry for the novel; I just got started and couldn't stop. I wish I could walk the walk as well as I talk the talk. I meant no offense to non-vegans or those who have other priorities in life.
#12 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 06:38 PM

I get where you're coming from, NOS. One of the reasons why I was vegan (I'm currently omni, but I'm very picky where my food comes from) was after a discussion with Alex about why baby cows have bottles. He was 2, Isaac was only a few weeks older than River and Terran. It was one of those "stop and think" moments. I'd like to donate, but the amount of caffeine I was drinking, they wouldn't accept it.
Oh, and boobs have memory. What I'm noticing is that whilst initially River was fussing more than even Alex did as a result of the oversupply issues, things are sorting themselves out very very fast. I didn't have any engorgement this time, and I don't leak frequently compared to the first trip or two around- my boobs just seem to be picking up where they left off. I wouldn't worry, necessarily...

Dea Happy moving! Yes, we have issues with resisting sleep. Weekends are hard here because he wants to stay awake and not miss anything, so it's hard to get naptime in and that makes evenings tough.

Applecore, she sounds gorgeous

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#13 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Dea

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
I appreciate any suggestions about my supply issue and am a big enough girl to take what is helpful and ignore the rest. I hate to even bring it up when Eilonwy and Dea are so brave about much more serious problems, but yes, it does bother me when Terran obviously wants more than I can give him and starts pounding on my chest with his littlem fist as if it were a candy machine that ate his quarter.
Don't feel bad about brining it up on my behalf. I don't want people to not talk about what they are feeling just because of me. I don't know what it's like to be able to actually nurse a baby, so this is normal for me, and I'm okay with it.

Also I am using an SNS and a nipple shield now and she is latching and suckling. I don't think she's getting much from me, and it's not practical to get the whole set up every time she feeds, but it's pretty cool that I can simulate it a little.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#14 of 273 Old 03-30-2008, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

I turn my back and there are 20 posts!

Today was pretty good - all of us took a three hour nap this afternoon and Alex has had a significant decrease in his spitting which I am thrilled about. My sister took me and the boys out yesterday so Michael could get his hair cut and it was meltdown after meltdown. It's so hard in those situations since I know he needs more one-on-one attention but I'm so exhausted from Alex that I barely have any to give to him. Aside from the nap, we stayed in today and I was able to do a lot of cuddling with my free arm so he's seems like he's doing a lot better.

Alex's sleep is leaving a lot to be desired recently but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this too shall pass quickly. The nap I got today helped reset me, but now the exhaustion is creeping back in.

Have to dash - Mr. Man isn't too happy with Daddy right now...
#15 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
I've had dairy out of my diet for a week now, and I don't see a difference.
I've heard it takes at least 4 - 6 weeks for dairy to leave your system, so that may still solve it!

Quote:
NOS, were you vegan when you nursed your other babes? I have talked to a lot of vegan moms who have had supply issues, and I wonder if it may be why you have less milk this time?
That's really interesting.. I'm still dealing with trying to drown my baby every time she nurses and burp clothes that are really not for burping at all, they're for mum suddenly spraying everywhere And I've also now been on my uber-restrictive diet for a week, still too much milk

Quote:
Helen, I think I remember that if babies' eyes don't change before they are 6 months old, that they won't.
Hmmm, my eyes were blue until I was 6 years old, then they turned green

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
I've been eating enormous quantities of oatmeal for breakfast and drinking Mother's Milk Tea (although I can't afford as much as it says to drink on the package) but haven't tried fenugreek yet.
I found fenugreek *amazing* while they had me on all the crap for Mastitis. My supply had simply dropped dead on the spot. I send DP out to pick some up, they say it helps within 15 hours, but I found it started helping within a few. My SIL who donates also uses fenugreek with great success. You can't take it all the time or it stops working, but I believe she just doesn't take it on weekends - I can double check on that bit. I also suggested it to my other SIL when she'd been struggling with her supply and got an estatic call the following day about how much she loves fenugreek Anyway, I would definitely suggest giving it a go! Good luck

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#16 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 05:16 AM

NOS, I got some fenugreek seeds and put them into my tea and have noticed a big difference! I had some grounded seeds and that didn't seem to help at all.

i was drinking milkmaid tea and read the ing. well it had spearmint in it and I have heard that any kind of mint is bad. I wonder why they put that in there???
#17 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 AM

Hi ladies!

It's so nice to still have you all around Let me first send *HUGS* to you mamas who are having supply issues, both over and under and otherwise. Please know that you're all doing your good deeds by naturally raising a child as best you can. We all know that not everything always goes according to plan and sometimes that reality is quite painful. When I had to be induced into labor, I was in full sobs. It wasn't what I wanted and wasn't what I had thought would happen. Luckily, I had a great support team to help me through it. That's also what this forum is about...support. Just the fact that we are on this website, looking to do what we can to better ourselves for our children, shows what thoughtful parents we all are. This will hopefully pass on to our children to make this world a better place. I admit this may be a bit idealistic, but I really do believe in the power of positive thinking, so here are some good vibes for all you mamas out there having a hard time right now :::.

For me, life with Lily is going well. Since I cut milk out of my diet, she seems to be doing better. I've also found, she's really gassy after feedings sometimes and lifting her legs up so her butt comes off the ground helps move things along. I'm sure she'll be horrified to hear the stories but it's so cute when you lift up her legs and her butt "toots". I've also been trying some of the "I love you" massage that Dr. Sears recommends in his baby book and that works well sometimes too. She's growing well (I think) and having fun meeting the family. She'll be 5 weeks old this Thursday and boy, the time goes fast.

Right now I'm having the hardest time with the thought of not going back to work. Both DH and I want to do what we can to not put her in daycare for at least the first 6-12 months. That means I stay at home with Lily. I only have one more paycheck coming to me on my maternity leave before I'm on unpaid leave and I'm getting nervous. I've never gone without working since I was 16 and the thought is really, really scary. I know we have the $$ in savings to do it but I have always been so independent and this feels like relying on my husband for everything. There are no trust issues there...it's just that I am so used to living on my own two feet and NOT relying on anyone that it makes me really panicky. Strange, huh? The closer we get to me not bringing in any $$, the more neurotic I get about it. I need to find a good way to come to terms with this one - I'm sure time will help .

NOS - I haven't used my pump yet either and although there is no real need for me to *yet* I feel like I should start getting used to it. This is the first time I've heard about donating your breast milk. I don't know if I have nearly the supply that's needed to do it but if you could pm me with some info, I'd like to read more about it.

Operamommy - I've also heard that it takes a few weeks for milk to leave your system entirely. It took a few days for my LO to respond to me not ingesting milk but her sensitivity isn't that severe. Are you food journaling? I heard of kids being sensitive to spices as well and keeping track of what you are eating and how the baby responds may prove useful. Good luck!
#18 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 10:41 AM

We'vw started seeing some great smiles from Twyla. http://www.flickr.com/photos/22841879@N07/ You can see her kinda heart-shaped birthmark in one of the pics. Gotta run- need coffee!
#19 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 10:46 AM

Hi All!!!

It's so nice to see all you ladies here in LWAB! I too have been having issues with the pump...I have an electric one but I still don't get that much milk when I use it. I have two seperate bags of 3oz each in my freezer ~ they're for my mom who is going to watch Nellah while DP and I are at a wedding on the 19th. I would obviously like to have more, so Im going to try closer to the date...

My little bundle is no longer a huge fuss-pot like she was the first month!! Yeahhhhhhh!!! In fact, we've fallen into this wonderful routine of a huge bfing session around 9-10pm, and then she sleeps on until 4am (ish) eats again and is good until 7(ish)! It's absoultly wonderful...my ds didn't have longer than 2-3hour blocks until he was almost a year so this has been a great difference

NOS, I commend you for even concidering donating, I think it's a wonderful idea and would love to do it as well, but I know that giving up coffee etc is not possible right now

My dad and step-mother are coming to visit this week, it'll be nice to have the extra help and to show off Nellah , also, my dad loves to do all the cooking and my step-mother enjoys taking me shopping so I'm actually looking forward to the visit!

Thanks for starting this thread, would hate to lose touch with all you ladies.
#20 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
We'vw started seeing some great smiles from Twyla. http://www.flickr.com/photos/22841879@N07/ You can see her kinda heart-shaped birthmark in one of the pics. Gotta run- need coffee!
she's beautiful! I absolutly LOVE the heart shaped birthmark, that's wonderful

I have an updated easter photo of dd in my siggy
#21 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 11:26 AM

Moms struggling to BF or interested in donating should look at milkshare. I think once I feel comfortable on the manual I'll be up for the big bad electric. I just hate taking time away from her to focus on a machine, so that when I'm away from her she can have my milk. It just stinks. But I don't have to do it that much or be away that much, so I shouldn't complain. We do want to get her comfortable with bottles and she's 5 weeks old so that needs to start soon.

She has been smiling more everyday, which is so fantastic. I can't believe how big she is. Wow.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#22 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 02:02 PM

Just really quick, need to get back to work...

Is it nearly April already?!?! How did the babies get so big?

to all the mommas with supply problems and other obstacles.

Today's my first day back to work. I hate to say it, but I feel like myself again. Senara's doing well with DP, so all's well. She was a hit today when they dropped me off. I need to get more pics on here. Soon, I hope!

Oh hell, to everyone here. I feel like I've jumped ship a bit and wanted to share the love...

signature currently in transition
#23 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I just hate taking time away from her to focus on a machine, so that when I'm away from her she can have my milk. .
Yea, that's where I'm at. thank you for helping me sort out my feelings about this issue. i think i can (or at least am willing to try to) pump for the specific baby i want to help if i have fenugreek, a picture of her to look at while i pump, and Terran on the other side to help my let down, but I need to know if the mama wants that kind of help or would prefer formula or the safer route of going through a milk bank before I pull out the scary pump. I don't think I am physically capable of using it just so some rich person can have a cheaper cleaning lady or burger flipper or head to count for federal funding for their CalWorks daycare center.
#24 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 04:22 PM

Now I'm caffeine-free, I'm thinking of volunteering. Our local milk bank (up in Oxford) only provides milk for SCBU babies though, there's just not enough to go round.

#25 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Alex is evolving beyond the need for sleep. At least he's happy while he's awake.
#26 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 05:22 PM

I'm so jealous of the smiles....Peter is 6 weeks old and still hasn't smiled!!

A happy woman
#27 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 05:31 PM

Hey!! happy monday!

lilyblossom, I here you on not working.. I have also always worked and it was hard quitting but now that jackson is here he's my job!! It really is a full time job feeding and playing with him! But the $$... we are pretty tight on it right now and will be for as long as I don't have regular job probably. Medical bills are piling up from the birth and jaundice...we haven't even gotten all of them yet. We also wanted me to stay at home for at least one year. At that time we will reevaluate whether it would really pay for me to return to work what with daycare cost, etc.

I also haven't gotten out my pump yet. Well I looked at it. but haven't used it. I won't be pumping that much just for the occasional girls night out.

I left jackson with dh last week for a hour and a half and it went well!! I was relieved. I fed him before I left and he was fine. I gave dh a paci to use just in case but he didn't need it. The funny thing is he tried to give it to him the next night when jackson was fussing - he just licked it a little but wouldn't take it! He hasn't had a paci since he was in the hosp. So that was interesting.

applecore/jaxinsmom, your babies are soo cute!! I want to share! I have been taking lots of photos but need to upload some so you can see

dea, we totally have resisting sleep issues here too. Jackson will fuss and I know he needs to sleep but he wants to keep looking around... the swing is a lifesaver for those times. :

I think we have a case of thrush so I have started taking/applying GSE and acidophilus... I think we have had it for awhile but I just now started getting some breast pain, I get this shooting/burning pain in my breast. I don't get it all the time, just every once in awhile. It is horrible so I had to do something! Jackson has the white coating on his tongue, and my nipples are super dark pink. So hopefully the GSE will work so I don't have to go to the ped. I 've also cut out sugar and the "whites" and that really seems to be helping jackson with his gas, he gets really bad gas a strains a lot.

I can't believe Jackson is 2 months already... he is smiling alot and making all sorts of sounds. He is such a wiggle worm, loves to freestyle kick and wave his arms on the floor. I am totally in love Sometimes I look at him and it's fun to think about what he'll be like when he gets older, it will be (is) so much fun getting to know him.

well, i gotta go, he's waking up!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#28 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 07:38 PM

subbing... even though I was in the March DDC, then had the "feeling" I should be in the Feb. DDC...
and THEN...
I end up birthing in JANUARY

I still know Feb. & March Mamas best.

Baby Ember is starting to finally act like a newborn, instead of the unborn. I think this will greatly help me bond a little better. I've been so wrapped up with PPD and nursing issues that it's been a hard road in that area. She's starting to coo and sing and follow me with her eyes. This sounds silly from a TWO MONTH OLD... but really, she's only just now even "due".
I have to remember that she's going to be a little behind in some things for awhile.

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#29 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 PM

Baby just woke up so this is a quick hello to say that I am glad to find everyone! I'll read and post later.
#30 of 273 Old 03-31-2008, 10:12 PM

Hi everyone. Gosh, I've missed all of you. I've barely been able to get on the computer since DD was born. Its a few minutes here and there when I do. But the support of this place is so great that I will always come back.

It's hard to believe that DD is already 5 weeks. It's been full of adventure. Until last week I was able to EBF (but not on the breast), but then she lost a pound and my supply dropped. This was due to using a nipple shield, I had been pumping and feeding with SNS but so wanted her on my breast that I used the shield because she doesn't latch so well and won't loosen her jaw. DP and I thought all was going well until I went to the New Moms group and used the scale. I was terrified and felt so inadequate to see her back below 8lbs again. So we felt that we had to supplement, it really broke my heart even if it is organic. I had no idea my supply had dropped. I thought she was just eating really well and that was why my breasts didn't feel as full and heavy. Since starting with the bottle, we have had an even more difficult time with a successful latch and feeding. We are using a low-flow nipple on the bottle, but I think since DD has never really had only my nipple in her mouth for more than a week, I think she isn't sure if milk comes from a finger and SNS, a nipple shield, a human nipple, or a bottle nipple. Poor girl! I'm not sure where I am at now. I so want to EBF, but if it means pumping day in and day out..... I don't think I am up for that. The bright spot is I am going to see a naturopath tomorrow who specializes in babies and women. She has a recipe for a goat milk formula which I would much rather use than something based on cows milk. Right now I am pumping a couple times a day so that she still gets some breast milk in between the 'other' feedings.

Other than this issue, she is beautiful and is such a joy to have in my life. I am in awe of her and myself. It's a kind of love that I was so unaware of.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page