APRIL 2007 Mamas its APRIL ALREADY!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY BABIES!!! - Page 18 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#511 of 531 Old 04-29-2008, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kewpie-o: so glad Scout is okay, that must have been scary! (I love Sonic Youth too)

krismarie: I know you're probably busy farming, but I miss you

doudat: feel better vibes to you!!!

on houses: there was one we really really wanted when we were house hunting last year. It needed an addition if we ever had another kid but it was in perfect condition with a big yard and garage and skylights. It was tiny, though, at 450 sq ft and only a shower (where now we have only a bath!). We couldn't decide 100% and this house offer came up(free rent for 6 months for fixing it up) so we took it. Fixing up with a baby has proven very challenging. Anyway, my perfect tiny house is now sold and I'm sad...did I mention it was only $28 000???
#512 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateSerj View Post
Wow how scary! i am so glad she is ok! When Elizabeth was 5 she disappeared for about 15 minutes at a very crowded state park... at a lake... it was the worst 15 minutes of my life...I thought she was gone forever.
HUGS to all the mama's and babies!
Whoa!!! That would've been absolutely terrifying!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanno View Post
(I love Sonic Youth too)
I used to have the biggest crush on Thurston Moore. He's got gorgeous hair. hee hee
#513 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 02:30 AM

I took Micah to an urgent care ped on Monday....

That is the link to the thread I posted...I just don't have the energy to post it twice...

Rebekah , single working mom to Micah (04.12.2007)
#514 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDaisi View Post

That is the link to the thread I posted...I just don't have the energy to post it twice...
I just read that and it is total crap!! i can't believe that! poor baby and mama!
just keep nursing, even if he is throwing up keep nursing, i hope you can find a doctor to support you soon!

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#515 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:

I read it-how infuriating!! don't listen to a word of it! We just went through a nasty gastro bug, and like micah, arlo didn't have that much extra weight to lose. This is what I did-we gave him gravol. It may not be popular here, but it was either that or go the hospital with severe dehydration. So then he could keep some milk down. We gave him pedialyte, first with a spoon and when he refused to take it I used a syringe. And of course I nursed him constantly. Don't worry about food until he is feeling better. He will let you know. (imho anyway) I was pretty concerned about how much weight Arlo had lost by the end of the 7 days (he also had severe diarrea at every diaper change for days). I don't have any numbers, but I knew he was really losing. Anyway, once it all passed he began eating like I've never seen before! And I have been letting him have anything-even ice cream!! I have to run, but I hope this helps a bit. I guess the main thing is to keep him hydrated any way you can. mama and micah. I hope he feels better soon...

A

Mama to Finn (04/05) Arlo (04/07) and Henry (04/10)
#516 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 11:38 AM

Has anyone dealt with lead testing? Our ped didn't even mention it, but I realized that I'd wanted to ask about it, so DH called the office later. We were told that it's not necessary unless our house was built after 1978 and our windowsills are dusty.

Of course our windowsills are dusty. I have a 12mo, I don't dust. I realize I should be wetdusting the house (1955 ranch), but I'm not the most tidy minded individual. The windows are up high, but door frames are easily accessible. We've done a kitchen renovation (in October) and we do have some chipping paint. The lowest level of paint (several layers) has tested positive with a hardware store lead kit.

Anyhow, I can take him over to the lab for the blood draw today. I do think this is important. I just know that he'll cry as soon as a stranger *looks* at him. He's in that stage right now.:

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#517 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 12:45 PM

shydaisi - that is so awful!!! It makes me so mad that pediatricians are so ill-informed about breastfeeding. It's freakin' ridiculous!!!! How on earth can formula be EQUAL to breastmilk???? Has he read the ingredients on a can of formula lately? I know that my boobies ARE NOT squirting out corn syrup solids and soybean oil : {{HUGS}} to you. I hope you end up finding a doctor that doesn't have his head you know where. (I haven't yet ) Lots of healing thoughts to your household!!
#518 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 01:49 PM

Wow, Shydaisy! I can't believe that doctor!! How insane. I would've been fuming, but like you, concerned about our baby's health... I sure hope Micah feels better soon. Nurse him as much as he wants and hopefully this'll be all over soon.

Lead testing: Everything I've read states that if the paint isn't chipping, it's fine. Lead paint isn't dangerous unless it becomes volatile (ie sanding an old windowsill) or if it's chipping (ie the kids could eat a chip). And it's houses built before 1970's that pose a danger, not after that are affected. So you're 1955 could definitely have lead paint in your house.
#519 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 02:15 PM

doudat, how are you doing?
#520 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
doudat, how are you doing?
I'm "working", can't you tell?
I'm actually doing better, still coughing, but fine. Now Liam dislocated his elbow last night, and since it's one thing after another, I shouldn't be surprised.... He spent 7 hours in the hospital for the 3 seconds it takes to pop the darn thing back in it's socket.

How's Ion?
#521 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 02:50 PM

Thanks, everyone!

Micah is doing about the same. He is in good spirits, crawling around, playing, laughing, but vomiting. He have vomited twice today -- once when we got up around 10 and then again just now. I am, however, getting worse in the morale dept. I am beginning to doubt myself, and it doesn't help that my parents keep questioning my beliefs. My dad thinks Micah is now allergic to my milk and that peach cobbler is an appropriate food choice. My mom is more supportive, but believed some of the things the doc said and fed Micah eggs scrambled in oil this morning -- too pack in the calories...If this lasts too much longer, I am afraid he is going to end up in the hospital....

#522 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 04:29 PM

I wish there was a pre-toddler forum...

#523 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks, everyone!

Micah is doing about the same. He is in good spirits, crawling around, playing, laughing, but vomiting. He have vomited twice today -- once when we got up around 10 and then again just now. I am, however, getting worse in the morale dept. I am beginning to doubt myself, and it doesn't help that my parents keep questioning my beliefs. My dad thinks Micah is now allergic to my milk and that peach cobbler is an appropriate food choice. My mom is more supportive, but believed some of the things the doc said and fed Micah eggs scrambled in oil this morning -- too pack in the calories...If this lasts too much longer, I am afraid he is going to end up in the hospital....
ShyDaisi, wish there was something we could do for you, you both must be exhausted.
#524 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudat View Post
Now Liam dislocated his elbow last night, and since it's one thing after another, I shouldn't be surprised.... He spent 7 hours in the hospital for the 3 seconds it takes to pop the darn thing back in it's socket.
Ugh, my ds did this about 5 times when he was little (always the same elbow). The first time was at 5 months (he popped it out the very first time he rolled over!) and the last was at about 5 years old. I think their tendons tighten up around then and it doesn't happen so easily.

Hugs to all of the sick babies and mamas...

Shydaisi, if Micah isn't acting too sick, I'd just keep nursing and avoiding solids until things settle down more. Breastmilk is absorbed faster into his system than any solids he takes in, and much easier on his digestive system than everything else. If he gets really listless or is not making wet diapers, you might want to get him checked out at emerg, but my (wonderful) dr has always said to watch the child before the symptoms (ie., if a kid has a fever or vomiting, but is basically acting normally, try not to worry too much). I don't think that starting him on a lot of 'food' to pump up his weight at this time is going to help things much... I bet it is just a slow moving bug that will pass.
#525 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I'm actually doing better, still coughing, but fine. Now Liam dislocated his elbow last night, and since it's one thing after another, I shouldn't be surprised.... He spent 7 hours in the hospital for the 3 seconds it takes to pop the darn thing back in it's socket.

How's Ion?
Man, doudat, your mama strength is being tested! I think you're passing with flying colours.
#526 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:

How's Ion?
my goodness ! How did he manage that?

I'm quite certain Ion isn't a normal person. Some of our friends say he's a changeling and I'm beginning to agree. He's just so wild! I mostly just chase him around trying to make sure he doesn't get hurt too badly. That sounds bad. He's the light of my life and so so awesome...but very odd. I'm supposed to be going to physical therapy for my shoulder and the pain had led us to using an umbrella stroller. Today he was having a meltdown and actually asked for the stroller. Kinda like a moving 'time out'. So I put him in it and we went to the library About 4 blocks from home on the way back he was done with the stroller and needed to walk.
#527 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:

I'm quite certain Ion isn't a normal person. Some of our friends say he's a changeling and I'm beginning to agree. He's just so wild! I mostly just chase him around trying to make sure he doesn't get hurt too badly. That sounds bad. He's the light of my life and so so awesome...but very odd. I'm supposed to be going to physical therapy for my shoulder and the pain had led us to using an umbrella stroller. Today he was having a meltdown and actually asked for the stroller. Kinda like a moving 'time out'. So I put him in it and we went to the library About 4 blocks from home on the way back he was done with the stroller and needed to walk.
Sounds like he's got his own ideas and you're such a great mama, you know exactly what they are!
#528 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:

It's called nursemaid's elbow and is surprisingly common. When he was in his cast last year, dh pulled him up by the arms and it dislocated. Since that time, it occured 3 times. The doctor said that around 5 yrs, it goes away.

Ion doesn't sound odd to me, he sounds like a strong minded little toddler. Enjoy this phase, they get harder and harder to control!! How sweet that he used the stroller as a means to ground himself and have a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxiMom View Post
Man, doudat, your mama strength is being tested! I think you're passing with flying colours.
I don't think I'm going through anything near as stressful as other mamas, so I'm thankful for that!
#529 of 531 Old 04-30-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizLiz View Post
Ugh, my ds did this about 5 times when he was little (always the same elbow). The first time was at 5 months (he popped it out the very first time he rolled over!) and the last was at about 5 years old. I think their tendons tighten up around then and it doesn't happen so easily..
I hadn't seen your post! Yep, that's exactly like Liam.
I read instructions on how to do the reduction to get the elbow back in the socket, so maybe I'll try at home next time. Scary to think I might mess up, but 7 hours in the ER is not a good alternative.
#530 of 531 Old 05-01-2008, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Johnny yesterday!

Do we have to go to the toddler forum today?!

Susan, Mom to 4- Elizabeth 12, Hailey 9, Sammy 7, Caroline 3
#531 of 531 Old 05-01-2008, 03:26 PM

I think that we are...I will go start it now!

Here is the thread -- May 2008 Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page