Double Ear Infection and Antibiotics? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-05-2008, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cross posted in Health and Healing - with no response there...

So after a screaming bout for an hour last night, I went out to get some help at the drug store. We used a homeopatic remedy for earaches and it worked immediately. Similasan is the brand name. He slept fairly well throughout the night and we took him to the doc this morning to see if it indeed was an ear infection. It was, in fact it was a double ear infection. Doc prescribed amoxicillan and said that there is no other way to treat it as the infection is in the middle ear behind the ear drum. He also said that any type of oil that we'd put in his ear would help ease his pain. I was not at the doc appt, DH took him. I really am hesitant to use antibiotics although I do plan to use probiotics with them. I've read that they are not typically any more effective in getting rid of the problem. What other remedies could you suggest? I'm hesitant to use BM in the ear since it didn't seem to work for the blocked tear duct and goopy eyes this time. But the homeopathic remedy seemed to work well, but I realize that isn't necessarily clearing up the infection. Thoughts? What have been your experiences with antibiotics or homeopathy?

This is DS's first illness and I am at a loss what to do naturally. I'm obviously much more hesitant to let a almost 7 mo old wait it out as compared to myself. I know when I'm in too much pain/discomfort, but I really can't gage his very well.

Update - I have not started the antibiotics. I have read that 70% of ear infections will clear up on there own without any treatment. Also that many docs misdiagnose an infection and give antibiotics when it is a viral infection. The book said he needs to have a red eardrum that is swollen with pus behind the ear to indicate that it is a bacterial infection that would even respond to antibiotics. And many of those infections will clear up on their own in time once the cold clears up and the eustachian tube is opened.
I think I'm going to wait it out,...he doesn't appear to be in pain, no more screaming, slept okay last night and is breastfeeding like a champ. He did grab at his ears a few times this am. WWYD? How long should I wait it out? I may put some BM up his nose or do a saline wash to help clear the infection from the inside. Suggestions from you experienced mommas???
#2 of 13 Old 04-05-2008, 09:14 AM

I don't mind doing antibiotics - but do push back on the just giving antibiotics for ear infections.

My son had a double ear infection a few months ago (it was the 2 year old not the babe). She even had her intern look at them because she said sometimes it is hard to see but here was a very obvious case of pussy double ear infection. She said to hold on the antibiotics - if no big issues with pain or fevers then to skip the antibiotics. However, if babe was in obvious pain or spiking fevers then to go ahead with the antibiotics.

We never truly spiked a fever and babe didn't complain of pain - so we bypassed the antibiotics. I don't do follow-ups (with four kiddos, too difficult) - and so will assume all is well!

Good luck.
#3 of 13 Old 04-05-2008, 11:54 AM

DD had a double ear infection accompanied by a fever so we had a dose of amoxicillan. A week after finishing the med she had another ear infection so we were back at the doctor. We're on a stronger antibiotic now and her latest follow up showed that this med is working. Daddy had tubes as a child so we're watching carefully to see how DD does.

I questioned the doctor on the effectiveness of antibiotics and he had me look in the little scope thing to see her ear. EW. Poor baby!

Good luck!

BFARing mama to Haley (3/07) and Abigail (11/10/09)
#4 of 13 Old 04-05-2008, 12:16 PM

i would definitely do the abx. my 9 month old suffered repeated bacterial ear infections for four months, including twice when his eardrum ruptured (ped insisted we wait to treat and the rupture happened the next day). he now has some hearing loss in one ear (he's been tested twice), and will be getting tubes sometime soon. yes, many ear infections are viral, but for a diagnosed bacterial infection is not likely to spontaneously clear up.
#5 of 13 Old 04-05-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
However, if babe was in obvious pain or spiking fevers then to go ahead with the antibiotics.
I agree with this and on the other hand, if there is no pain, there is no point in using the antibiotics. 16 out of 17 ear infections heal on their own without complications. That's higher than 70%. I don't think antibiotics are necessary to heal the infection. However, antibiotics have rapid effects on pain. If you have found another way that reliably deals with the pain I would go with that.
#6 of 13 Old 04-05-2008, 08:18 PM

have you tried garlic and mullin infused olive oil dropped into the ear at night? I have used this remedy on myself even and had great results with the whole family.

mother, wife, lover of life.
#7 of 13 Old 04-05-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnD View Post
I don't mind doing antibiotics - but do push back on the just giving antibiotics for ear infections.

My son had a double ear infection a few months ago (it was the 2 year old not the babe). She even had her intern look at them because she said sometimes it is hard to see but here was a very obvious case of pussy double ear infection. She said to hold on the antibiotics - if no big issues with pain or fevers then to skip the antibiotics. However, if babe was in obvious pain or spiking fevers then to go ahead with the antibiotics.
This seems logical to me. If he doesn't have a fever and there is no obvious pain...other than his hour of incosolible screaming, I never would have even known he had an ear infection...I just don't see the point in giving the antibiotics. His eyes and nose are not completely cleared yet, but are certainly looking better. I assume the ears will follow. If I had total trust in my doctors, which I don't because I am still getting to know them, I would believe the antibiotics were needed when prescribed. Since I didn't see through the otoscope as Mommy2Haley's doc did, I'm less inclined to believe it's a bacterial infection that requires the antibiotic. I always feel like I am so skeptical of the system and doctors anymore.:

Thanks for the suggestions...if he does exhibit pain, I plan to use the homeopathic remedy in his ears again. But doesn't seem to be the need at this point. We did put a little BM up his nose and cleared it out. I think it helped, not that he liked it in anyway though!!
#8 of 13 Old 04-06-2008, 01:23 AM

Chiropractic care is great for ear infections. Also what has worked for me in the past is a small amount of breastmilk in the ear.

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#9 of 13 Old 04-06-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersrose View Post
have you tried garlic and mullin infused olive oil dropped into the ear at night? I have used this remedy on myself even and had great results with the whole family.
This is also what I use for ear "infections", and it works great.

MOST ear "infections" are swelling of the ear canal and are sometimes due to the throat being all cloggy and ugly. They don't require ABX.

You um, don't even have to worry about baby swallowing any of the garlic/mullin oil remedy. Someone I know did that and after frantically calling the ND at a very odd hour (well actually I -- I mean, SHE -- made her DH do it), she discovered that baby would be fine. ND's remedy to THAT situation? PUT A BIG LABEL ON THE BOTTLE that says "for ears only!"
#10 of 13 Old 04-06-2008, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

He has a follow up appt on 4/21...if his cold is gone by then, does that mean his ear infection is gone as well?
#11 of 13 Old 04-06-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower18 View Post
He has a follow up appt on 4/21...if his cold is gone by then, does that mean his ear infection is gone as well?
Um, I'm not sure what you mean. A cold and an ear infection can certainly exist separately.

4 kids under 10
#12 of 13 Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

From what I've read, ear infections are often the result of a cold...in DS's case I believe this to be true. He had a snotty nose that backed up and has clogged his ears, causing the infection. So, if his snotty nose clears can I expect that his ears will follow suit? We have a follow-up doctor's appt to see if the antibiotics worked. Since I'm not going to use them, I guess I'm wondering what to expect at this appt. If the cold cleared naturally by this time, will his ears be looking better too? Or will we be scolded by the doctor again for not following his advice?
#13 of 13 Old 04-06-2008, 10:59 PM

My only problem with treating the symptom of ear infection without treating the cause is that if the pain is relieved, the eardrum could burst and you wouldn't necessarily know.
When DS woke up screaming and batting his ears, and wouldn't lay his head on my shoulder, I decided to give a pain remedy, and call the doctor in the AM. I'm glad I did because by the next day he spiked a fever and was extremely cranky.
The doc did prescribe abx but he also knows my brother's history of tubes x2 and later sinus surgery. My brother did suffer some hearing loss as a result. Generally I'm a member of the wait and see crowd, but I don't like gambling with hearing.
I did find a garlic/willow bark oil for his ears, which I applied once today, but next time I'll try the Similisan. we've had three very bad nights in a row, even with pain reliever.

Just my experiences...

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page