Is it normal for a 2 month old to sleep for 5 hours? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

The last two nights, my LO who is 2 months old, has started sleeping for 5 hours at night. He'll do a 5 hour stretch and then a 2 or 3 hour stretch. Is this normal? I'm just worried about SIDS since they say the longer your baby sleeps the deeper sleep they are in and so that is a SIDS risk. But I've also been told to not wake a baby up at night. I would rather get the sleep but not if it's not normal for him to do this at this age.

Thanks,
Christine
#2 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:19 PM

My dd did. As long as they are gaining well and sleeping that long next to mama, I wouldn't worry.

I would not personally be comfortable with one that young sleeping that long alone in a crib.

-Angela
#3 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well, he is in his crib, but the crib is next to the bed. He's not in a separate room. Should I be worried?
#4 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:23 PM

Personally I'm not comfortable with tiny ones sleeping out of mama's space. Have you considered side caring the crib?

-Angela
#5 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not comfortable with sidecaring a crib, since the AAP thinks it makes the crib unsafe. I had thought about buying the co-sleeper at one point, but we don't have enough room for that.
#6 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:31 PM

My DD is 10 days old and sleeps a good 6 hr. stretch at night. As long as all systems are go (pee and poop wise, and babe is gaining well) I would just be thankful and SLEEP! All five of my kids slept well from the get go...so at 2 months I wouldn't give it a second thought.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#7 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:31 PM

Then how about just putting him in your bed? Infants tend to sleep too deeply when not next to mama.

-Angela
#8 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:33 PM

Oh, and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Then how about just putting him in your bed? Infants tend to sleep too deeply when not next to mama.

-Angela
definately : !

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#9 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:38 PM

i think it's just fine that you're babe is getting so much sleep! and i don't think you need to worry. he's fine in his crib, sleeping peacefully. you're lucky! my kid is a year old and rarely sleeps in 5 hour stretches! if i would have gotten 5 hour stretches of sleep, i would have been a much happier mama for my baby!

no worries.
#10 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm probably the minority on this website but I follow the AAP's recommendations which doesn't include sleeping in the same bed. I just think with the way DH and I sleep - a lot of rolling around, kicking the covers all over the place and having a soft mattress - it would be less safe (in my situation). Kudos to those that could sleep together but it's really not an option for me. But thanks for the advice.
#11 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:41 PM

A 5 hour stretch at 2 months is normal and I wouldn't worry about it at all. Having the crib in the same room near you is also protective against SIDS.
#12 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketgirl96 View Post
Well, I'm probably the minority on this website but I follow the AAP's recommendations which doesn't include sleeping in the same bed. I just think with the way DH and I sleep - a lot of rolling around, kicking the covers all over the place and having a soft mattress - it would be less safe (in my situation). Kudos to those that could sleep together but it's really not an option for me. But thanks for the advice.
The AAP's stance is not based on research. Do a search for Dr. McKenna and infant sleep for some well supported research. Babies have healthier sleep patterns when sleeping with mom. When sleeping alone they tend to sleep too deeply and for too long. This was the reason for the recent AAP recommendation that infants sleep with pacifiers.

Sleeping with mom is the biological norm. Any time you stray from the norm, you open yourself to complications.

-Angela
#13 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 PM

Just wanted to chime in Avraham Tzvi also sometimes sleeps 5 or 6 hours, then he has a night where is he is up every hour. Everything is "normal" at this age

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#14 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 12:53 PM

My 2.5 mo DD has the same sleep pattern which started at around 8 weeks or so. Sleeps for 5-6 hours then is awake off and on every 2-3 hours. I have her in our arms reach co-sleeper for her long stretch of sleep since I put her down before I go to bed and don't want her sleeping in the bed alone without me. Then she comes into bed usually once she is needing to wake more often (so I can just nurse us both back to sleep quickly). I would recommend the mini co-sleeper. It doesn't take up as much room as the regular sized one and it allows you to reach over to put a hand on your LO to check breathing, etc. Sometimes my baby sleeps better if we are not snuggled up so close, but she still needs some contact, so I can just sleep with my hand on her tummy with her in the co-sleeper and me in the bed. It does make it harder for me to get in and out of bed, though. I basically have to get into bed from the foot of the bed instead of the side. But that is fine.

Your baby is probably fine in the crib in your room, though, too. Enjoy the sleep!
#15 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 01:31 PM

Just enjoy it while it lasts! They change patterns so much.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#16 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 02:19 PM

My DS did this, enjoy it while it lasts. He was doing 10 hours by 4 months, and then he stopped at 6 months and at a year we sometimes get a stretch of 4 to 7 hours, but not every night. Sleep patterns seem to change every so often, so I say enjoy it while it lasts.

Sarah nak.gif married to DH Dan (August 2001) dh_malesling.GIF and Mommy to DS Desmond (April 2007) pinktongue.gif, DD Eloise (March 2009) hearts.gif and Sullivan (March 29, 2011) babyboy.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.giflactivist.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif
#17 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 02:23 PM

Glad you posted this. My DD is 7 weeks old today and slept from 10 to about 5 am this morning. Usually she wakes up a few times to nurse. I was shocked about it, I woke up at 1 and 4 (her usual nursing times) and she still was asleep.

signature currently in transition
#18 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 03:10 PM

DD slept great from around that age until 4 months. I agree that you should enjoy it while it lasts! I believe it's perfectly normal so long as LO is gaining well and having enough wet diapers.

DD slept in her Amby hammock in our room for the first, long stretch at that age. She did up to six hours regularly at that time.

Now she's up every 1-2 hours.
#19 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lilya View Post
Just enjoy it while it lasts! They change patterns so much.
:

Count your lucky stars, while they still align! DS slept 9hrs a night at 6 weeks for about 3 weeks, then we were back to every 3-4 untill 6 months old. (we don't co-sleep either, no one would get any sleep in our house if we did)
#20 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatblondegirl View Post
i think it's just fine that you're babe is getting so much sleep! and i don't think you need to worry. he's fine in his crib, sleeping peacefully. you're lucky! my kid is a year old and rarely sleeps in 5 hour stretches! if i would have gotten 5 hour stretches of sleep, i would have been a much happier mama for my baby!

no worries.
Yes.

Me , him , and the two most beautiful little lovey girls in the world: 3/08 and 1/10. Planning our escape from the treadmill!
#21 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 06:01 PM

My older dd would sleep for 4 or 5 hour stretches starting at birth, and at 2 months started sleeping 7 or 8 hour stretches (until she was 6 months, when she hit a growth spurt and started waking more often). It's not the most typical pattern, but some babies just seem to sleep longer stretches sooner than others. I didn't do anything differently with ds, yet he didn't sleep more than a few hours at a time until he was a year old.

In other words, you got lucky. Enjoy it - it may not last.
#22 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 06:08 PM

My first 2 slept that long at that age. We haven't been as lucky with our third, but honestly it seems to be both their body weight and their personalities. My boys were bigger and didn't need to nurse as often at night at that age. My girl is gaining slower and needs to eat more often.

I know you said you couldn't fit a cosleeper but for anyone else who may be considering, I have to give my big thumbs up for our cosleeper attached to the side of the bed. We got it with baby #2 and it has been fantastic. My youngest sleeps in it now for the first stretch of night and then with me dozing and nursing off and on the rest of the night. I think it is the best of worlds. She has her own "space" sort of part of the night but right next to me so I can hear her breathing and her movements. As she gets restless and starts to wake I bring her on the bed with me and nurse her.
#23 of 23 Old 04-16-2008, 06:08 PM

Enjoy it. Agree with PP's - patterns change quickly. I'M JEALOUS!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page