House Painting and Baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-20-2008, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we're getting ready to be painting the entire interior of my MIL's. My google-fu is failing me. Are there any precautions I should be taking w/a 6m baby in regards to fumes, etc?

TIA
#2 of 8 Old 04-20-2008, 11:38 AM

Do you live at MIL's or you're just going to help paint. If you're just going to help paint do not bring your LO - he or she should not be exposed to regular paint at all. If you live there you really need to buy special paint - low/no odor and low/no VOC's - because regular paint has all kinds of crappy toxins and whatnot and you DO NOT want your LO living in a house with that on every surface (it can take many, many months to even stop smelling). If you can get this paint (lots of various brands - just google) then just have LO out during the actual painting, have the house completely opened up and don't bring LO back until the painting is done and dry to the touch.

Still a sleepy mama to my fabulous 2 year old girl
#3 of 8 Old 04-20-2008, 11:50 AM

:

There are some very economical low/no VOC paints available. I've used the one Lowe's sells (can't think of the brand) and was very happy with it.

I would only keep your LO inside the house while it is being painted if it is a good sized house and you can keep the babe at the opposite end, if you can't smell ANY fumes from there. Is keeping the babe outside of the house an option for you?

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
#4 of 8 Old 04-20-2008, 12:19 PM

You should use low or zero VOC paint no matter what... its better for you, for your babe, and for the earth.

Shermin Williams has a nice afforable zero voc
http://www.sherwin-williams.com/do_i...d=SWAprilGreen

There are other "greener" ones... Majestic is the name of one I think....

And in the long run a more expensive paint is really worth it (my dp is a contractor so we have LOTS of paint experience.....) so get a high quality low or ZERO VOC paint and it will last.

if your baby doesn't have to be there.... i wouldn't bring them.... last thing you want is to be pull paint out of a babies mouth... i know when my ds was 6 months he would have found a way to eat it!
#5 of 8 Old 04-20-2008, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulaMary View Post
Do you live at MIL's or you're just going to help paint. If you're just going to help paint do not bring your LO - he or she should not be exposed to regular paint at all. If you live there you really need to buy special paint - low/no odor and low/no VOC's - because regular paint has all kinds of crappy toxins and whatnot and you DO NOT want your LO living in a house with that on every surface (it can take many, many months to even stop smelling). If you can get this paint (lots of various brands - just google) then just have LO out during the actual painting, have the house completely opened up and don't bring LO back until the painting is done and dry to the touch.
We live w/her for the time being. The plan was to get low oder to no order paint as MIL is asthmatic.

How long does it typically take for such paint to dry?
#6 of 8 Old 04-20-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatmama View Post
:

There are some very economical low/no VOC paints available. I've used the one Lowe's sells (can't think of the brand) and was very happy with it.

I would only keep your LO inside the house while it is being painted if it is a good sized house and you can keep the babe at the opposite end, if you can't smell ANY fumes from there. Is keeping the babe outside of the house an option for you?
Not as far as I can see. We live here so there's not much in the way of options of sending her away since I don't have much of a stash put away.
#7 of 8 Old 04-21-2008, 02:01 AM

We used the no-VOC Sherwin-Williams paint on the nursery. I don't remember how long it took to dry, but I know it didn't take any longer than regular paint. It also covered really nicely -- we only needed to use half a can to do the room with two coats, and there is enough left over for my friend's nursery. =)
#8 of 8 Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 AM

We used "American Pride" paint that is zero-VOC. It doesn't even have a smell and is very high quality.

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page