3 month old-bedtime??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-24-2003, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS is 13 weeks old and exclusively BF. I've been following his cues for feedings--and sleeping. Am I crazy? EVERYONE is telling me that I need to set an early bedtime for him (7 or 8) and stick to it. Now his "schedule" goes something like this. He wakes up around 11 am (bad, I know), and for a couple hours he plays & is active. Then the rest of the afternoon until late evening is a cycle of activity & naps. I have a "bedtime" routine that I do between 7 and 8 that includes a bath and changing into PJ's. Then I usually nurse him to sleep and he stays that way for a few hours. I am NOT sleepy at this time (kinda a night owl, I am). Then he usually needs a diaper change and nurses again. Basically, he doesn't go down for the count until 3 or 4 am--that's when he finally goes to sleep for a long stretch. By this time I'm exhausted, too exhausted to try to wake him up early, so we sleep (cosleep, he'll wake up to nurse every few hours) until around 11 am!!

I bed it would be easier to tamper with this schedule if my DH could help, but he works lots of hours, even on weekends

I just don't know if I should press this or just let him be. Just a month or so ago, he wouldn't sleep more than 2 hours in a stretch and he's fallen into this one. Any suggestions?

I hope this makes sense...kinda tired

Thanks!
Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2003, 12:08 AM

I think first you should be glad you are coming here for advice and not beating yourself up for having a less-than- "normal"schedule for a child. afterall, this is a Baby!
second, I think that if you are interested in having baby sleep more at night and earlier than sometime in the near future ( no real rush) make the transition from night- owl- baby and mommy by setting the mood for bedtime- light low or dark ,quiet and laying down with baby if thats suitable for you, when you do your bedtime routine. you may not realize how much your energy and what you are doing is sensed by baby. you may not be tired but laying there and resting may give him the right idea. and new mamas could always use more rest.
if you can try putting on some quiet relaxing music.
You can change it gradually and in a few months he'll probobly be ready for a change too all on his own! Iwas the same as you, and still am in some ways ( night owl) and when the baby gets more active his rest will become longer at night.
you're fine!
Laura
Old 09-25-2003, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
if it works for you, don't worry about it. my dd is 2.5 now and has always been a nightowl and gone to bed when we do -- usually anywhere from 11 to 1am and slept in til 9 or so, but just this week she's started really trying to give up her afternoon nap and now she's going down at 8 or 9 ish w/o a fuss. she's getting up more or less the same time -- 8:30 this morning, but i'm not a morning person so that's fine by me. i say don't worry about it if it's working for you.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 09-25-2003, 01:32 AM

I'd say just do what works.

My 6 month old dd and I hit the sack anytime between midnight and 2 AM (we cosleep; she's in a crib alongside our bed with the side rail down), and wake up around 9 or 10 AM. Everyone thinks we're crazy - my grandmother informed me that 'That baby needs to sleep from 7 to 7!' Nevermind that dp works till 8 PM : and we are both night owls - not morning people at all. I'm inclined to believe that dd has inherited that tendency from one or both of us, as she fell into her current schedule quite naturally.

I will say that we had a much harder time getting her to sleep at night till she hit 4 months. Not sure why, but we had a rough couple months there where she just would not settle down at night, no matter what we did. We spent a lot of nights rocking her, walking with her, playing music, you name it; well into the wee hours. But eventually she just outgrew it - nowadays I just take her to bed with me whenever she's ready for her last feeding of the night and she nurses to sleep.

Maybe your ds simply isn't ready for bed quite so early?

User Tag List