ending swaddling. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: When did you stop swaddling?
2 months 20 27.78%
3 months 8 11.11%
4 months 5 6.94%
5 months 10 13.89%
6 months 13 18.06%
never...he just went to college and still swaddles 16 22.22%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 53 Old 04-28-2008, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
We used a two-blanket swaddle for a long time - seen month? Eight? I can't remember.

In our case, it was totally okay if he got out of it. DS would routinely pop an arm out within minutes of being swaddled, but by then, he was drifting off to sleep. He'd wake up unswaddled in the middle of the night, which was fine - I'd re-wrap him if he seemed to need it. At the beginning, he needed his arms to be held in so he wouldn't startle himself awake, and by the end, he simply had a strong sleep association with being wrapped up, and it didn't matter whether his arms were in or not.
#32 of 53 Old 04-28-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is good feedback...thanks.

I have a bid on a miracle blanket on Ebay, just found out about it yesterday and it looks like what we need. I would love to see the thread on a two blanket swaddle.

I don't mind swaddling him and if that is how he likes to sleep so be it, but he always gets out and then wakes up crying. So i guess he is telling us he still likes it and he still needs it. I just been a better or bigger blanket.

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
#33 of 53 Old 04-28-2008, 05:34 PM

I voted college, too, but sd is only 6.5. Now he isn't swaddled to sleep anymore, but he has sensory issues so he does get "swaddled" now and then, still.

But as a baby when he would start to act like he didn't like it we'd just try a different blanket and do it longer. Even though he always nursed to sleep it was still important for him to stay alseep.

IME working with babies I've found all babies (that I've encoutered) want to be swaddled, and for months and months, it's just that a lot of parents aren't very good at it, or worry that the baby doesn't like it. Just remember, the tighter, the better!
#34 of 53 Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 PM

Crossing my fingers that you win the miracle blanket! We have 1 for ds3, and it keeps him wrapped up nice and tight.

A happy woman
#35 of 53 Old 04-28-2008, 06:42 PM

Around 2-3 months old he just stopped liking it. It didn't calm him down anymore, and he seemed just as happy to be able to move his arms and legs, so I stopped then.
#36 of 53 Old 04-28-2008, 08:29 PM

At 5.5mos he started squirming if he was swaddled. But couldn't sleep well otherwise. So basically, we were in a lose-lose situation. We gave up on the swaddling and it took about a week before his hands stopped waking him every 2 hours.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#37 of 53 Old 04-28-2008, 09:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As soon as we left the hospital. I kept trying to un-swaddle and the nurses would re-swaddle. I find it stupid.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#38 of 53 Old 04-28-2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
Ds was born during a heat wave in August, we rarely swaddled at all. After the first two weeks, maybe once a week when he was really upset. And he got so big so fast (over 15lbs at 3 months) that he didn't fit well in any of the swaddling blankets we had.
Yeah to all that! We swaddled a bit at first, but then he didn't like it anymore, and it didn't help, and the blankets didn't fit... so we gave up, and he slept really well anyway!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#39 of 53 Old 04-28-2008, 10:29 PM

We discovered that swaddling worked miracles for us when DS was 4 weeks old-and we learned how to 2 blanket swaddle. Before 4 weeks he would always get out of the swaddle. We stopped a few weeks ago because DS kept getting out of the double swaddle and has been sleeping fine without it.

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#40 of 53 Old 04-28-2008, 11:12 PM

We swaddled our LO for night time until she was close to 8 months, and weaned slowly off naps for awhile before that. I don't know if other babies are like this, but Sweet Pea's hands are constantly moving until she's solidly asleep, so we mostly swaddled to keep her from clawing herself awake all the time. We gradually started leaving one arm out for naps, then both arms if she could get to sleep that way, and then she (finally!) decided to start nursing to sleep for naps, so that's how we quit during the day. We stopped swaddling her at night because she would wake in the night and wiggle and strain to get out. We went cold turkey, sort of. I was scared to take the plunge, but we were all sleeping so badly it couldn't get much worse! The first night she slept really well until about 1:00 and then started thrashing and wiggling so much I couldn't sleep, so we swaddled her and she slept until morning. (!) The next night she slept really well until around 4:00, when we swaddled her. And that's it... we tried it a couple of times later when she had a wiggly night or two, but she's was NOT having any anymore.

Interestingly, as soon as we stopped swaddling she started sleeping on her side a lot of the time, so my theory is that that's what she was wanting to do when she was getting so restless around 8 months. When she was newborn, she would often roll onto her side to fall asleep.

DD 7/07 DS 1/11

#41 of 53 Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 PM

I swaddle 3 1/2 mo. ds. He didn't like it at first, and I just started doing it again for nap & bedtimes. It helps him sleep better, he is not a very good sleeper, and it doesn't help that he cries out,startles or farts in his sleep and it wakes him right up. Swaddling helps me get house work done.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

#42 of 53 Old 04-29-2008, 12:35 AM

what is the 2 blanket swaddle? can someone send me a link with pictures and directions?

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#43 of 53 Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
what is the 2 blanket swaddle? can someone send me a link with pictures and directions?
: We're still swaddling at almost 4 months. She still needs it, just doesn't sleep well at all without being swaddled. But now she's getting so strong I can't keep her arms in and she wakes herself up flailing about.

My boys weren't swaddled beyond the newborn stage.

Mama to Boy (10) Other Boy (7) and Girl (4)   mdcblog5.gif in my profile!

#44 of 53 Old 04-29-2008, 11:45 AM

We stopped swaddling a few weeks ago when it just. stopped. working. No number or typed of blankets would keep her little arms contained. Takes a little longer to get her to sleep as she has many tricks to keep herself awake, but ultimately a tired baby will sleep

Amanda
Mommy to Alonzo (11), Jacob (9), : Lucas (8) & Trinity (almost 2!!)
#45 of 53 Old 04-29-2008, 11:51 AM

With my first, we never even got out of the hospital in a swaddle. DD HATED to be swaddled. She fought the nurses & doctors as a newborn - kicked & punched out of the swaddle. So it came as a big surprize when DS LOVED to be swaddled - tightly! We even bought the kind with velcro. We stopped when it just became silly because he was so tall. I guess around 4/5 months. By that time he was lying down to sleep without the swaddle anyhow. He's always been a really easy sleeper.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#46 of 53 Old 04-29-2008, 12:42 PM

DD1 started to burst out (on purpose) around 5 months of age. I would have swaddled her longer, but she wanted none of it anymore.

DD2 was 2 weeks old, she just fussed when swaddled and then calmed when she was free (total opposite of what we expected, I rememeber we were getting tense as we thought we weren't swaddling tight enough, then she broke free and went to sleep. We stopped that night).

DD3 she was like DD2, so we didnt' swaddle her.
#47 of 53 Old 04-29-2008, 01:01 PM

I didn't vote b/c we are still swaddling at almost 3 mo. We had stopped at about 2 1/2 mo because he was falling asleep without it, but just last Friday he was super fussy andwouldn't go down so I swaddled him and he was fine.

We have always only swaddled at night, and he has managed to struggle out of it once he wakes up since about 1 1/2 mo. I would just re-swaddle after changing his diaper and he would go right back to sleep.

I got a great *large* recieving blanket from target - its called the Ultimate Recieving blanket. It is plenty big now at 3 mo and I imagine it's going to fit for awhile still. it is kinda pricey ($24 i think) but if you are swaddling past 6 weeks or so, it's worth it.

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#48 of 53 Old 04-29-2008, 02:05 PM

I've never swaddled, not even once. I don't get it.

Alyssa
Mama to Scott (USAF), Katie (18), Karlie (16), Kimmy (9), Klara (4.5), and Baby Khloe (2.5)
#49 of 53 Old 04-29-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllyssa View Post
It's a very natural thing that cultures around the world have done for ages to help calm their babies and make them feel safe. Babies feel secure when they are tightly wrapped because it feels similar to the confined space of the womb; the only reality they've ever know. What's not to get?
#50 of 53 Old 04-29-2008, 02:29 PM

We stopped at around 3 months. DD slept well being swaddled, but around 3 months we were having to reswaddle 4-5 times a night and figured she was done with it. She did great with the transition. I can't imagine her being swaddled now at 5 mo. She is all over the place. Yesterday morning when I woke up she was laying perpendicular to me and dh.

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#51 of 53 Old 04-29-2008, 04:09 PM

DD is 4 months, and we still swaddle.

This last week I decided to try without it because she kept breaking out, and like many said before, she kept waking herself up by rubbing her face. I found a stretchy bigger baby blanket and just WRAPPED her. She can get a hand out by the morning, but it keeps her from jolting awake.

Swaddling + paci = sleeping 4-6 hours!
Long may they reign...
#52 of 53 Old 04-29-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alllyssa View Post
I understand never swaddling if your babies didn't take to it - but what don't you "get" about it? Babies are essentially swaddled in the womb. Swaddling outside the womb, when they can't be held tightly against you (like in a sling), helps them to feel secure - helps to mimic that tight womb feeling. Some babies really like it!

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#53 of 53 Old 04-29-2008, 05:30 PM
PPK

OK, here's an old post of mine describing it and the link works now :

I take a thin recieving blanket and lay it out like a diamond (the top corner is folded down. Put baby in center with shoulders even w/ the top edge, then take one arm and hold against his side while tucking the side flap over his arm and tucked under his body (Similar to step 3 on the link). Repeat other side.
This makes two 'sleeves'. Leave a little leeway so his arms aren't pinched/twisted by fabric (I usually stick a finger down the sleeves to check they aren't cutting off his circulation or anything, I know, paraniod). It doesn't have to be super tight to hold, as his body weight holds his arms pinned down.

Then I swaddle him in another blanket, I basically roll him in another blanket w. the top edges angled away from his face, but snug. Hope that makes sense! I had pics, will post if you need.

*Since this post and pics, ds is now 8 months and still swaddled this way. He only gets out if I don't wrap him tight enough, which is unusual. Its gotten harder to hold him still long enough to wrap him though, but its hard to change his diaper, clothes, and everything else now that he's mobile. It only takes about 20 seconds to do, usually he'll be distracted long enough by making faces or shaking a toy above his head...Good luck mamas!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11581733@N02/?saved=1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page