February 08 - Bring Out Your May Flowers! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 379 Old 05-05-2008, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am loving keeping up on everyone's stories!!

in my news, my mom just left after two weeks and my mate is on baby duty while i work. and it sucks. he is not the most patient man in the world and when she fusses he just gets less and less able to cope. he keeps switching positions because she is crabby which only makes her crabbier and he just gets more frustrated. bleh.

i can go home for 20 minutes at lunch since i'm only a minute away by bike but we have four more weeks before i am off for the summer from school. i would totally have to quit if it weren't for summer break.

and lazlo is watching about a gazillion hours of tv a day. seriously, like almost the entire time i'm at work, and it breaks my heart because i never even wanted him to watch any in the first place, and then i was okay with just a thomas video and now and then and now i don't have any say over it because i'm at work.

linnaea is super smiley and cute. i just love her chubbiness. and she LOVES her baby cube by the elyse! i put it on her legs and tummy when she is lying down and she can kick it to move it and she loves staring at it. i highly recommend them!!

she sleeps just about all through the night. the other day she slept for 18 hours! i think that may be as a release from stress because i'm home with her. any other working mums noticing their babies sleep a lot when they are around?

eh. who needs a signature?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 379 Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 PM
slf

wow, back at work already? that must be hard! I forget that not everyone has the same mat. leave benefits we do in Canada (I'm off with full pay until Sept, then off with 50% of my pay until end of Feb.) I can't imagine how hard that must be on you- being away from yoru sweetie.

Sandi- firmly attached mama to DS (Feb/08) cautiously expecting #2 09/10
#63 of 379 Old 05-06-2008, 06:17 AM

slf. I'm right there with you (I'm a Brit.) Occasionally I find myself shouting at the computer.
Playamama, I'm so sorry It shouldn't be like that.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#64 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 01:48 AM

don't even get me started on our health care system. ludicrous.

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#65 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 08:36 AM

OK, lightening the subject slightly- which is more obnoxious? The xonstant possetting of a newborn, or full-on baby puke, accompanied by fussing beforehand, that curdled smell and a giggle afterwards?

I love my son, but his manners leave a lot to be desired.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#66 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
OK, lightening the subject slightly- which is more obnoxious? The xonstant possetting of a newborn, or full-on baby puke, accompanied by fussing beforehand, that curdled smell and a giggle afterwards?

I love my son, but his manners leave a lot to be desired.
Full-on baby puke gets my vote. He manages to get it in my hair most of the time too.

Greetings all! He are on the downside of Alex's second cold and Michael just being four. I'll hopefully be back later for a full update.
#67 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hrm. Since I smell like cheese pretty much all the time from the mini-horks, I'd prefer full on barfing with an obviously relieved baby afterwards. He got me from shoulder to sock last week, but he didn't hork again all day.

My parents are leaving tomorrow. When they said they were coming for two weeks I almost died of horror, and now I don't know what I'll do without them playing with him and changing diapers while I work.

I guess it takes a village, complete with elders... and I want mine now!!

Mama to EG, Mate to MD, Writer, Editor, International Jewel Thief.
#68 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 01:35 PM

Yeah. It's when you find yourself reading instructions for washing a sheep's fleece and wondering if that gets the smell of baby puke out of hair that you realise you need a life

Writerbird, sorry your parents have gone, but I'm glad you got to spend time with them.

Does anyone have bright ideas for toddler party food? I'm about to go do the shopping for the NCTea party, and I have no idea what I'm buying

#69 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
slf. I'm right there with you (I'm a Brit.) Occasionally I find myself shouting at the computer.
Playamama, I'm so sorry It shouldn't be like that.
thanks you guys!

i have secretly decided that i am not going back to work in the fall. i haven't told the school yet i don't care if we have to eat crappy non-organic food and get rid of cable tv (yay!) and never go anywhere. my children need me at home more than they need the money i make. and hey, if i stop working then maybe i'll stop being the working poor and actually qualify for things like low-cost health care for my kids .

i can tell it is affecting linnaea a lot. it's like once she starts fussing she just starts screaming. she's much harder to soothe and really the booba is pretty much the only thing that works. and then she stares at me and hits me with her little fist right now i'm torn between wanting to take days off to be at home and trying to make as much money as i possibly can before work stops for the summer.

but, lightening, lightening... i prefer a big puke rather than bunches of small urps. then i can change and be done with it rather than just not changing because it's not a "big" enough urp and realizing at the end of the day that my hair is tangled with baby puke. oh, but i kind of like the way it smells i remember with lazlo i realized that he only got bad breath after eating solids, his milk breath was yummy.

#70 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 02:46 PM

toddler tea party food....

my ds is grooving on celery right now, and apples and peanut butter are always a winner, he also like the raw cookies that i make from cashews and bananas and oats...grind cashews in the blender, add a couple of bananas and some oats, cinnamon, vanilla, even cocoa or carob, and maple syrup and dry them in the oven at a low temperature. they are chewy and healthy!

#71 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 04:14 PM

Playamama, I find myself having the same radical Hygeia Halfmoon-esque thoughts about staying with Terran and not going back to full-time over 40 hours a week slavework with him in daycare. As a single mama with a troubled teen, I don't feel comfortable discussing anything even remotely resembling a "plan" and will just say how grateful I am to my late Grandfather, my favourite IHSS client who lets me bring my baby to work, and my own self-loathing that somehow kept me too tired and defeated to buy what most USAmericans would call "necessities" during the time I was working a day job, night jobs, weekend jobs etc. in my third trimester.

Whatever. I've got savings that are atrophying slower than I expected and nineteen years as a SAHM/working poor under my belt during which I learned many, many skills that help me avoid consumerism and excessive "outgo" (opposite of "income").

Lightening up, I LOVE newborn baby scents and find myself wishing I could catch some poos in a clean bowl and freeze them for later. They have no nutritional or medicinal value that I know of, but I'm still enough of a "mama of teens" to just swoon at the scent and dream of thawing out some frozen baby poo when my toddler is getting on my nerves, take a big whiff, and remember that he is still my sweet baby.

Besides being the mellowest, least demanding baby on the face of the planet, Terran is also the least urpy kid I've ever met. Every now and then the neck cheese accumulates among his chins enough that it smells like something crawled in there and died, but as for my shirts, his shirts, my body, etc., I just smell fresh, delicious, exclusively breastfed baby abnd I know all too well how briefly we have those smells in our lives.

I remember trying to get ds1 to stay off of solids just long enough for me to smell it "one last time" and not suceeding.

ds1 claims not to like the smell of new baby, but I think he's just mad at me for renaming his cat "Stinky", since I'm the one stuck with catbox duty, puke scooping duty, and all the other nasty aspects of pet ownership and have pretty much never gotten any of the positive aspects.

I can't remember any big pukes at all from Terran and the largest spitty-uppies have been while we were in bed and on top of a washable underpad.

It's downright scary how easy this baby is, but if he's anything at all like his brother, he'll eventually hit a stage of development that is difficult for him and put me through hell while all of your former high-needs infants sail through uneventfully. I just hope it's not late adolescence again! I am so sick of loving somebody who is messing up so bad in ways I can't fix!
#72 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 04:40 PM

I'm not a fan of baby puke, but at least Neocate doesn't smell like anything. I wipe it up as quickly as I can, though, because it does get sticky.

Bear is looking very tall and skinny. Bella is very loud, constantly waking him up, and that drives me batty.

I'm still in a good mood, though. I think it'll carry through for a while. I mean I'm pissed, because Bella just got chocolate onmy shirt, but overall i'm pretty good.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#73 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 05:41 PM

so, i just went home in tears after barely a half day.

my mate called and told me that linnaea had been crying real tears for a half an hour so i got my classes covered and took a family health day. she was asleep when i got home but i am don't think i'm going to be able to finish the year unless i can bring her in the sling.

i just can't leave her. at least i'm home now.

#74 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 06:53 PM

Playamama That's a tough situation to have to deal with. I know it breaks your heart to hear that she was inconsolable that day.
I gave my former employer a letter a few weeks ago telling them I would not be coming back. I had planned to go back at least part-time when my maternity leave was up (at the end of April) but I just cannot leave him so young. My grandma babysitted ds1 while I worked but I can't ask her to take on a 3 year old with special needs and an infant. And if I paid for daycare I would probably make about $50 a week which is just not worth it in our current situation. Our financial policy right now is to not buy anything unless absolutely necessary and to shop for food very wisely.

Since we're talking about pukes and baby poop- how often do your babies poop? Grant seems to only go every 2 days or so. And when he does its a massive blowout. It seems like ds1 would pretty much go once or twice a day when he was an infant.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#75 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 07:09 PM

Terran is a "sharty" baby who usually has at least a slight poop stain on each dipe, but by this age both of my girls would only poop about once or twice a week and I still remember in great detail one time Phoenix pooped in the baby swing (I was so not AP back then) and it blew out of her diaper, through the leg of her little terrycloth suit, filled the seat of the swing, and druibbled a very elaborate pattern on the carpet under the swing!

:

: Playamama and LoveChild421. I think my self-esteem is too low for me ever to be a SAHM for more than two consecutive days any more, but believe me, I carry tons of guilt for all of my "I did it and you can too" posts I spewed over the internet when I was receiving child support and/or financial aid from my parents.

Hopefully someday I can really be who I thought I was then.

In the meantime, I hope I never take my easy baby and my wonderful employers for granted; please flame me mercilessly if I do.
#76 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 08:18 PM

Playamama, go PM Honeytree- she was in the Feb DDC with us for a very short while, and her 2yo goes to school with her every day. She has some kind of deal where a parent-helper watches him and he just plays around the classroom. I get sick to my stomach every time the phone rings and one of my brood is away from home, I know how hard it is

Rynna, River gets woken up a lot too. For a fourth baby (the ones that allegedly sleep through anything) he's remarkably easy to rouse.

River does two poos in a row, every three days, and they smell slightly vinegary. If this is a sign of a cows milk intolerance, I don't want to know.
Oh, and River is in 6-9 month clothes already I'm desperately shopping for some cute rompers that are soft and squishy and don't have the logo of a corporate giant on them, not getting very far.

#77 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 PM

double post... the next one is the one i meant to send

#78 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
I think my self-esteem is too low for me ever to be a SAHM for more than two consecutive days any more,
thanks for the hugs... what do you mean by your self-esteem being too low?

LoveChild421- thanks for the hugs. it's nice to know i'm not the only one. i kind of feel like i'm giving up or something... millions of other moms manage to work, why can't i?

i think it's even harder for me to work right now because i really like my job (i teach biology, 8th grade math and science, and health class.) but the students are really ready for summer break. so, it's like, apathetic students who don't want to be there + mama who has a baby who really needs her = serious lack of motivation to be there.

our town is so small i doubt we could find anyone to take care of her and then my $12/hr would really be $2/hr so what's the point?

linnaea kind of has lots of random little boops and then she'll have HUGE poos. especially, first thing in the morning. she's finally sleeping in the bassinet and i'm trying to occupy myself with the internet rather than eating the bag of tierra farm chocolate chips in the pantry.

i think i may just try and see if we'll qualify for food stamps without my income... jeez.

#79 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 09:12 PM

alright, alright, alright! i actually just got the mdc "you haven't posted etc." message! never in a million years did i think that i'd go so long!

so i guess i should chime in here with my feb 08 ladies!

bea is doing splendidly. she's huge and gorgeous and smiley and shrieky and perfect. i am absolutely in love with her.

two months old!
who doesn't love a wet, squishy baby?
hanging out, being awesome.

like alot of you, i too end up smelling like cheese all day no matter what. but i think i do prefer the full on, get it all out at once puke. i was just telling dh the other day that i am so thankful we grow out of the spit up. can you imagine going to give someone a hug n puking down their back? or laughing at a joke with your mouth full of cheesy chunks?

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#80 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Dea

Hello!
Trixie is finally sleeping. She's a short napper, opting for many 20-30 minute naps during the day, and when she's awake I must entertain her. She doesn't demand it, I do! However if I do need to put her down, she's good with it.
My midwife came by today to pick up her birth pool and I also sent my placenta home with her since I can't encapsulate it since I had the evil drugs (pit) and just before I handed it to her from the freezer I opened the bag and whispered "thank you" to it. I didn't realize that I had done it until I handed the bag over. I was a little shocked that I did it, I didn't realize that I was attached to it. Weird.
I love all of the baby pictures. As soon as I get more of Trixie up I'll post them. She's so cute though! She's started giggling and cooing. After I give her a bottle we'll have a little cuddle and she just coos at me in the most delightful manner. It melts my heart every time. I love her so much! It's so amazing to me! I for sure need to have more children, I need more of this intense all consuming love in my life!
Sigh, I love being a parent!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#81 of 379 Old 05-07-2008, 11:37 PM
slf

nak

connor used to be a poop every couple days kinda guy, but lately he's had 3 or 4 a day... not sure what's going on there....

we've been having a busy week.... lots of outings. tomorrow i'm going to a local babywearing group, so i'm excited to meet some liek-minded parents in the city. baby's crying... gotta run

Sandi- firmly attached mama to DS (Feb/08) cautiously expecting #2 09/10
#82 of 379 Old 05-08-2008, 12:17 AM

Bear seems huge to me because he *needs* a 3-6 and can get away with a 6-9. At three months, Bellatrix LeBella couldn't begin to wear a 6-9; She had only recently outgrown her Newborn (5-7 pounds) outfits. :

Poopies... hm. Bear poops at least every other day, usually more. I'm nto sure if it's normal or not, because i've nver had a kid on formula before. Like NOS, I too have an amazing poop story involving BeanBean. When we came to Carlisle looking for apartments, for some reason we chose a day after Bean hadn't pooped at all for something like 18 days. Well apparently the vibrations of the car did it for him and this kid shat all over *everything*. It was insane... it literally necessitated washing the carseat and it's base, it was that crazy. Poop *everywhere*. We pulled over when he started fussing and I went to get him, pulled him out of the seat and was like, "Um, I'm gonna need some help with this one.." It was dripping down his legs, got all over the inside and outside of the car... and as soon as I'd picked him up, he just grinned and giggled his little head off. He thought that was the funniest thing ever to happen.

#83 of 379 Old 05-08-2008, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Grace is a once a week massive blow-out pooper. Always has been. It's the kind of poop that completely FILLS her prefold and usually goes right out the legs to fill the cover too. BLECH! And yay for me, she's quite the spitter. I'm trying out the idea of acidophilus powder to see if I can control the spitting a little more and the poop. She's very gassy so maybe acidophilus will help???? I don't know. I just know that I'm sick to death of being covered in baby vomit 24/7 for 4 straight months. She had her first full-on belly laugh the other day, followed by a few giggles. It was the greatest thing. Makes me feel really really good because I expected her to be delayed but it's frustrating to have a 4 month old who doesn't roll over, doesn't grab toys, doesn't laugh, etc. Now that she smiles and laughs occasionally and "talks" to us, it feels a little better. There's only so much you can give for so long before you really really get frustrated not "getting" in return.
Her daddy deployed last week so that was sad. She likes hearing his voice on the phone when he isn't here and she's quite the webcam afficienado at the tender age of 4months so hopefully those two things will be key in having her remember daddy and not cry when he comes back and holds her.
Little chunker is up to 12lbs now so that's exciting! We are now starting to outgrow 0-3months clothing! HOORAY! Kinda makes me sad to see how big she is but I'm so proud at how far she's c ome. She's coming up on tripling her birth weight. All mama's milk! I'm so proud!

treehugger.gifjog.gifgreenthumb.gifknit.gifnamaste.gif

#84 of 379 Old 05-08-2008, 12:34 AM

thanks for answering my poop question mamas! Seems like my little guy is pretty normal for this bunch. Hilarious poop stories too!

It's so funny how they label baby clothes "6-9 months" and "12 months" and ages like that. Grant is such a tall baby and has my long torso so he is already in a 12 month onesie and it is just barely long enough to button comfortably but he has plenty of room to grow fatter and still wear the same size, just not taller!

Every morning he wakes up at 7am gooing and laughing his little butt off. I just love it. I keep meaning to capture it on the video camera but I'm usually so tired that I play with him for just a few minutes while he's playing and then snooze for just a little while longer.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

#85 of 379 Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveChild421 View Post
It's so funny how they label baby clothes "6-9 months" and "12 months" and ages like that. Grant is such a tall baby and has my long torso so he is already in a 12 month onesie and it is just barely long enough to button comfortably but he has plenty of room to grow fatter and still wear the same size, just not taller!
BeanBean was like, right on target size-wise for age the first year or two. My mother and sister kept telling me that he was "weird" for this. I've got a niece who will be a year old next week and she wears the same size clothing as Bellatrix LeBella (2T/24mos). She's got a different build, though-- her thighs are like at least half again as big around as Bella's and she's got a HUGE booty. Gigantic. It's nearly as big as her eleven year old sister's! Granted, the eleven year old is skinny, but you hold the little one next to the big one and the difference is remarkably small. Such a chunk!

#86 of 379 Old 05-08-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
thanks for the hugs... what do you mean by your self-esteem being too low?
long story...i was a SAHM until about two years ago...worked my butt off. homeschooled on next to no money. got stabbed im the back by people i trusted.

this isn't the time or the place to get into it. i went back to work two weeks postpartum because i HAD to so i wouldn't hate myself. i have issues.

Quote:
i think i may just try and see if we'll qualify for food stamps without my income... jeez.
do it, girl! also look into your local food bank. we qualify for that and ds1's school lunches even though i still have too much in savings for food stamps and medi-Cal.
#87 of 379 Old 05-08-2008, 01:12 AM

Quote:

our town is so small i doubt we could find anyone to take care of her and then my $12/hr would really be $2/hr so what's the point?

yep. You do what you have to do- what you feel is best for you and the baby is #1.

#88 of 379 Old 05-08-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveChild421 View Post
It's so funny how they label baby clothes "6-9 months" and "12 months" and ages like that. .
i heard (20 years ago when Phoenix was a baby) that the rule of thumb was that the clothes should be twice as old as the child. I buy Terran's T shirts in 2T already so he can wear them as sort of oversized boy dresses now and with pants later when he starts crawling.

i still can't bring myself to dress him in much of the way of prefab clothes; i think "baby boy blue" must be designed for caucasian kids because i never hated it this much with ds1!

his little gowns have fit for a looooooong time, but when he outgrows a mccall's size large he'll either be crawling or way too close to it not to need a wardrobe makeover. i'm thinking oversized t shirt, cute diaper cover, and legwarmers and a few pairs of pants.
#89 of 379 Old 05-08-2008, 01:53 AM
Dea

Trixie used to poo a lot, every day, now it's once or so a day. So much more managable. I guess this is normal for her, she's happy and healthy. I do wish that she was a bf baby and I could have an idea of what everyone is talking about!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#90 of 379 Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 AM
Dea

Trixie pictures.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&id=515513940

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page