June Mommas Monthly Chat - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 235 Old 05-23-2008, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sleep, Ro, sleep!!!

Good work, Evan! (Now watch out, Jilian, because you will be constantly catching all the stuff he reaches and knocks over! )

The library paint color is PERFECT! It totally makes up for the boring hallway color, and I still think it will be neutral enough for DH. Very happy with my small victory here.

A. had another tolerable night, but with a strange round of fussing/half-waking at around 3 am. Hmm... Not fussy enough for hunger or pain, but not going easily back to sleep by nursing like he usually does. A mystery.

--willo
#182 of 235 Old 05-23-2008, 01:11 PM

Bjorn is STILL sick- it's like the fever that won't go away. And a runny nose and wet cough to boot. yuck. It's a mild fever though so nothing scary, just prolonged.

My oldest had a stomach ache and headache the other day, and that's how I felt yesterday. This morning I got hit with a wave of nausea, though, that freaked me out!!! So I think I'm going to take a test tomorrow just to settle my quieries. is there a "worried" stickie??

I'm wearing Bjorn in the wrap right now. Man, this kid is HEAVY! His head comes way up onto my shoulder in the front. Back wraps with him don't seem to work- he just wriggles himself so he's practically falling out and i'm all leaning forward.

Yeah Evan! You go, boy!

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#183 of 235 Old 05-23-2008, 03:07 PM

All hail the mighty Pusatilla! (or however you spell it )

One of the moms at dd1's Waldorf playgroup is a homeopathic dr and after listening to me moan about Ro (and watching her for the 3 hours of the playgroup) she suggested pusatilla. Of course she gave the caveat of saying that without a full case history and more detail she was sort of shooting in the dark, but she thought it could help. We got some last night, I gave her some this afternoon, and SHE IS ASLEEP! No fuss, no muss.

We'll see how she is when she wakes up. She's snoring away in the ergo right now and giving me my first moment of quiet in a few days.

Willo- cool news about the paint. Isn't it great when a color just clicks?

Anyone else have massive DIY or reno plans for the long weekend? I'f got a list as long as my arm but I'd be thrilled if we got just 3-4 projects done. All the way done. Done done. The washer repair people come out again on Tuesday so we can't really finish the kitchen walls (they said this time we really do need to move the dryer) but maybe if we could get that kitchen sink installed? Oh, the glory of a kitchen sink! With water and eveything.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#184 of 235 Old 05-23-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
All hail the mighty Pusatilla! (or however you spell it )
Pulsatilla is one of the remedies we seem to use often here, too, although traditionally it is known as a "female" remedy! It is good for emotional/moodiness and colds with varying symptoms and is also well known for lots of childhood illnesses (chicken pox, measles).

If you don't already have a homeopathy book at home, we use Luc de Schepper's "The People's Repertory" as our first reference for choosing remedies.

I can't imagine parenting without a few remedies on hand:
Arnica (bumps & bruises)
Chamomilla (teething, can't-be-put-down, angry times)
Ferrum Phos (very first sign of a cold)
Kali Bich (SNOT! "If it sticks, use Kali Bich"--thick mucus)
Nux Vomica (indigestion)
Pulsatilla (whiny, moody, melodramatic times)
Spongia Tosta (croup; always the cough remedy for our kids, too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Anyone else have massive DIY or reno plans for the long weekend? I'f got a list as long as my arm...
I'm fighting my instinct to get started ripping down another room's worth of wallpaper as soon as the painter is gone tonight. I think DH would have a heart attack if I did more now--he needs a little time of things being "normal", I think, because he just absolutely hates the chaos and the change... But, then again, I contracted for 3 full days of work, so, if I did get that entry hall paper down, he just might be able to do that, too...

Oh, DH would just hate it!

But the library paint is finished (one coat! Benjamin Moore's new, less toxic Aura paint really is fantastic!) and he's working on the hallway ceiling right now. I'm hoping that using the more interesting (more color, a bit darker) library color on the hallway ceiling will be cool. We'll see.

I should probably focus on cleaning up the chaos around here this weekend. especially since DH won't take Monday off. He almost never takes a holiday off. He's too busy getting some work done without his employees around the interrupt him.

--willo
#185 of 235 Old 05-24-2008, 03:44 PM

My dh is so wonderful! I expressed to him last night that I was concerned about being pregnant and he came over and hugged me and said "oh, honey, i'll love our 5th baby". And I was so worried about him freaking out. Hes not one of those guys that expects me (the woman) to be totally responsible for OUR fertility. Thank goodness. I took a test this a.m. and it was negative. So I'm comfortable accepting that and attributing all my symptoms to being sick.

And then I went directly to the fertility forum and checked out all the info on birth control- IUDs, vasectomy, etc. I think condoms is our wave of the future- no hormones, no surgery, cheap. And once I'm cycling/charting then we will have days when we won't have to use them!

Maybe I'll sleep better tonight.

My dh also came from a family of 5 and we both don't think that 4, 5 or 6 kids is too many. We agree that there is so much shit that our society feels like they can give people with more than 3. It's so wierd. We know SO many people who come from families of 7 or 11 kids...why is it anyone's place to judge people for having more than 3 kids? Just the "You've got your hands full" comment is getting REALLY old.

I just ordered an amber necklace for Bjorn, one for my daughter who is prone to totally freaking out with any form of pain (scratches, bruises, bumps) since her motorcycle incident last summer, and one for my friend who suffers from arthritis. It will be interesting to see if they help anyone.

JENNY, 38~ preschool teacher, birth activist, sun worshiper, singer, married for 17 years and mom to

Karan 15, Fiona 12, Bodhi 10, Bjorn 6, Devon 3, and Robin Taylor born January 16th!

#186 of 235 Old 05-24-2008, 03:59 PM

Jenny, what a great husband you have

I hope you feel better soon!

Question!
DS is "all boy", as in his favorite activity is hitting on tables, banging toys on the floor... we call him BamBam sometimes. However, over the last week he's started Bambaming me, mostly when nursing. I think it's partly some kind of unconscious thing he does, however he's strong, and it needs to stop.

How'd you deal with that?

I've tried "catching" his arm, saying "OUCH Tijn, don't hit... strooooooooke mama (he loves petting hair), but as soon as I release him he's back to it.

Suggestions?
#187 of 235 Old 05-24-2008, 06:09 PM

Jenny, How sweet of your DH. I'm glad you got the BFN that you wanted. I don't understand the problem with big families either - or why some people feel the need to comment about them. If the children are being cared for then it is no one else's business. I don't know many people with more than 2 children and I'm sure we'll get comments if we have a 3rd child.

Our teething necklace from Finn came today and so far so good. I got one for myself too :

Cynthia, Evan just started hitting and biting. He loves getting a reaction. He bit DH hard last night. He sometimes hits my face while nursing or kicks me. I either hold his hand so he cannot hit or I'll say "gentle touches" and show him gentle touches. If he doesn't stop I say "no" and unlatch him and put him down. That makes him upset and he stops hitting/kicking.

To the mamas having birthday cakes for the LO: What kind of cake are you doing? Will the baby have some? I'd like to make Evan his own cupcake but want something somewhat healthy. Any suggestions? Someone in another thread mentioned using homemade whipped cream instead of frosting and I like that idea.

One more question: do you brush your little one's teeth? I just started brushing Evan's teeth 2 days ago and he loves it. We use just water but his baby toothbrush came with some "baby" toothpaste - grins and giggles I think? Its fluoride free, but I'm not sure what is in it so we skip it.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#188 of 235 Old 05-24-2008, 06:30 PM

Teeth- we do brush... I have horrible horrible dental history (to the point that we will do flouride at some point) and it runs in my family so I don't want to risk my kiddos going through the same dental hell I did (and still do).

The toothpaste that gets marked for little littles is usually simethicone... it's the same stuff as infant gas-X/gas drops (and what they offer c/s mamas after surgery to help with the gas pains). We skipped that and went straight to children's flouride free paste... Tom's of Maine makes a few different flouride free pastes (strawberry, fennel, apricot), and Weleda also has a flouride free paste. There used to be an amazinly awesome orange flavor (tom's?) but it hasn't been around for over a year so I think it's gone with the wind.

We do brish Ro's teeth... she isn't thrilled about it but not totally unhappy yet. I'll swipe quickly with a washcloth, then give her the toothbrush to gnaw on. As she get's bigger we'll make it more formal, but I'm hoping she'll enjoy imitating her big sis and we wont have same sort of meltdown drama we got from Laia for a while.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#189 of 235 Old 05-24-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimoose View Post
Jenny, what a great husband you have

I hope you feel better soon!

Question!
DS is "all boy", as in his favorite activity is hitting on tables, banging toys on the floor... we call him BamBam sometimes. However, over the last week he's started Bambaming me, mostly when nursing. I think it's partly some kind of unconscious thing he does, however he's strong, and it needs to stop.

How'd you deal with that?

I've tried "catching" his arm, saying "OUCH Tijn, don't hit... strooooooooke mama (he loves petting hair), but as soon as I release him he's back to it.

Suggestions?
Charlotte just started pummeling me while nursing, so I'm thinking it must be an age thing. We've been working on being gentle, so I talk to her a lot about "gentle touches" and say "gentle" a lot while taking her hand and gently stroking my hair or face (she does a lot of pinching and hair pulling, too).

I figure that if I repeat it often enough she'll get it eventually.

As for brushing teeth... I haven't started brushing Charlotte's teeth yet. : I had no idea that they made baby toothbrushes! Where can you get them? In the regular toothbrush aisle at the grocery store?

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#190 of 235 Old 05-24-2008, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Owen is another banging nurser. Right now, he's mostly moved on to pinching and grabbing while nursing, especially when he's really tired. I'm desperately trying to keep his nails as short as possible and keep my skin covered as much as I can. He's not interested in pinching cloth, just my skin. I hope it's just a phase that passes quickly. Ouch!
#191 of 235 Old 05-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Add A. to the list of suddenly violent little darlings. No solutions here, either, but I do try to catch his hand and steer him into "soft" touching instead.

On toothbrushing:
We haven't started yet with A. For S., I know we had a little baby toothbrush (a finger-sleeve with little bumps on it, found in the CVS baby aisle, I believe) and we did a little practice brushing with him around this age... I keep meaning to get one for A.

On birthday cake:
For S.'s first bday, I bought a cute little store cake to use for pictures (and the grown-ups ate it), but I baked a wheat-free dairy-free mini apple cake for S. to get a tiny piece of. I remember I bought a tiny spring-form pan to make it. A friend gave me that recipe, and I can't find it. Not sure what I'll do for A. Honestly, it's all about getting a cute picture for me. I figure he'll have years to be in love with sugary desserts.

--willo
#192 of 235 Old 05-24-2008, 09:49 PM

I was in a car accident this afternoon with DD! No one was hurt, thankfully, but I am still pretty shaken up. I was stopped at a light and got hit from behind.

There was no damage to either car, though it was definitely more than just a "tap", kwim? The worst part to me was that the rescue crew that came to the scene pronounced DD "fine" even though they never took her out of her car seat for a physical examination! They based the assessment on the fact that she was waving at them!

I made sure to mention it in the police report I had to fill out, just in case. I will likely call the chiro this week and have her checked out.

Oh, and I am SO obsessed with wanting to be pregnant again. Three friends are currently pg, and I am SOOOOO freaking jealous. I guess because DH is starting law school in Septmeber and I know it will be a few years before we start trying for #2.

treehugger.gif
#193 of 235 Old 05-25-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneysprout View Post
I was in a car accident this afternoon with DD! No one was hurt, thankfully, but I am still pretty shaken up. I was stopped at a light and got hit from behind.

There was no damage to either car, though it was definitely more than just a "tap", kwim?
Glad no one was hurt.

Same thing happened to us a few weeks ago - Canada has this unique rule that even in a minor crash you must replace your car seats. We had just under $1000 damage to the car (by the dealer's estimate) and almost $1100 worth of carseats to replace - 3 Britax and a cheaper Graco. My kids would have been enthralled with the emergency vehicles.

I am so happy Seanie was rear facing - a minor accident would cause havoc with a little one's neck if they were forward facing. Increased my resolve to keep him rear facing for a much much longer time (and I installed my new Radian today!)

BITING ... how about pinching while nursing - it is driving me insane. The very clear indents of three upper teeth on my breast is a bit daunting - bitting while nursing would really hurt. Seanie is also a banger and a biter.

Too many kiddos - I hear at least once a day, 'you have four kids, wow you must be busy'. I don't help myself though - I emphasis how close they are - four kiddos in five years (my eldest turned six a few days ago), and people think I am nuts ... then I tell them I am going back to work in a week, they look at me funny! Many children is a blessing, and very much worth the messy house.
#194 of 235 Old 05-25-2008, 01:57 AM
Banned

I'm totally about to pass out from sheer exhaustion, but I want to respond to a couple of things in this thread or I'll forget.

1) We do brush. Willow has 8 teeth with 2 about to cut through. We brush when she's in the bath tub with just a baby tooth brush. It's not a big production. I think it feels good on her gums.

2) Birthday cake: We will be doing birthday cake for Willow's party (next Saturday). It will be a carrot cake made with the organic carrots and hand-ground whole-wheat organic flour from my veggie co-op. She will be having some cake...she'll have her own little cake, as a matter of fact.

3) Pulstilla? Totally need to buy some of that for the babe. Me personally? I'm going to see a psychiatrist next week. It's just gotten to that point. (See my post in PAP to get an idea of what's going on in my world).

4) Willow has been practicing letting go and standing on her own for the past couple of days. She can stand still, but if she tries to move, she falls on her butt. LOL Walking isn't too far away.
#195 of 235 Old 05-25-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Phew! I'm so glad noone was hurt. And you too AnnD!

As for biting and pinching while nursing, dd#1 was like that. I would take her off the breast when she did it because it was usually when she was more comfort nursing and not hungry. She eventually stopped doing it and outgrew it.

Sean has been into what we call "love taps". When he gets excited he starts clapping your on the face. Its not hard. Its like he is trying to clap his hands but instead of using 2 hands, he uses one and your face. I usually turn him around and face him out when I'm holding him if he does that. My dd thinks its absolutely funny. She will lie on the floor and wait for Sean to crawl over and start "love tapping" her face. Then they both crack up. So I'm pretty sure Seanie sees it as a game and its going to be something we have to live with for awhile as dd is encouraging it even though dh and I are discouraging it.

Cake -- I made a carrot cake for dd's b-day and I think I will do the same for Seanie. Except his will be wheat-free due to his allergy. I ordered a few little wood rolly toys online for his b-day but nothing big. He has plenty of hand-me-downs to play with around here.

Mom to :, , and :
#196 of 235 Old 05-25-2008, 03:18 AM

I'd take banging while nursing over DS's new habit:

If I'm lying on my back (and topless -- I'm usually that way in bed so I can nurse him easily), he will say "GAAAAH YEAAAH!" and fling the entire top half of his body against my chest (picture a headbanger -- those of you who were teens in the 90's will remember that) and then latch.

Ummmmm yeah.
#197 of 235 Old 05-25-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I was in a car accident this afternoon with DD! ... the rescue crew that came to the scene pronounced DD "fine" even though they never took her out of her car seat for a physical examination! ...
That must have been so scary!

Also, like AnnD mentioned, you might want to consider replacing your carseat. There are rules in the USA about when you "need" to do it after an accident (based upon the speed of impact maybe? Ask a carseat tech or someone smarter than I!), so at least check that out. I believe the insurance company that pays out for the accident is required to pay for the new seat, but, again, ask an expert. :

And it does bring up one of my hot topic issues of parenting--KEEP YOUR KID REAR-FACING AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!!! The baby needs to be AT LEAST one year old and AT LEAST 20 POUNDS, but, if your rear-facing seat can go to a higher limit (and I think current ones are required to go to 33#?), protect your baby's little spine and put up with slight inconvenience of rear-facing for a while longer. (My oldest stayed rear-facing until he was about 2.5 years.)

It may even be that the fact that your LO was correctly buckled into a rear-facing seat, laneysprout, was the real reason they were so confident she was okay!

Okay, stepping off my soapbox, now...

Dreadful night here. Ugh. I'm tired! And the big one woke me up to go pee, too, darn it. I think A.'s bothered by yet more teeth. (We had, what, three days without teething activity? ) He's now sticking his thumb in his mouth! I think it is just an object to teethe against. He's never been a thumb-sucker before. Is it possible for him to become one at this late age, or is it likely just in lieu of something harder to bite?!?

--willo
#198 of 235 Old 05-25-2008, 03:53 PM

Laney: how scary! I'm glad everyone is ok. I'd go to the chiro too. In fact, we were in an accident when Ev was about 5 weeks old and we saw the chiro for quite some time after to make sure he was ok. I think you can find the carseat replacement criteria on http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

I planned on keeping Ev rear facing for a long time even if he did reach 20 lbs by a year. Now he's still under 17 lbs and I'm sure he'll be under 20 for a long time, so he'll be RF probably until 2 ish. With DS1 I didn't know any better and turned him @ a year (he was well over 20 lbs by then).

I hope the sleep deprived mamas get a break tonight! Ev is sleeping kind of OK, better than last week at least.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#199 of 235 Old 05-26-2008, 11:14 PM

laneysprout and AnnD, so glad everyone is okay. phew.

I would love to switch from our rear facing Graco buckets to the Britax carseats that we bought with baby shower funds. But they don't fit rear-facing in our car ('95 Volvo sedan). It's the largest car I've ever driven so I can't imagine what kind of monster vehicle is necessary to use those car seats rear-facing. DS is 22 lbs now, but DD is still hovering around 19 so it will be a long time before we're ready to switch seats.

Toothbrushing...we brush. In fact both kiddos LOVE toothbrushing. They call it "wubble-wubble" because I always brush my own teeth first and began by making a fair amount of goofy noises to make it seem fun. For the first couple of weeks they would insist upon hanging onto their toothbrushes and would fall asleep clutching them. DD has 5 teeth with 2 more cutting. DS is holding steady at 2 though he seems to have entered another teething phase just this week. Super drool.

We had a picnic and spent time at the splash park for O&T's birthday. We also bought a push trike (no pedals) and a truck that can be pushed or ridden. No big party though and no cake. Both kiddos have tried rice dream and prefer fresh fruit. We splurged and bought blueberries.

Since both kiddos are walking a lot now I decided to pull out the potty chair and let them get acquainted. We tried it for the first time today after a bath and each babe took a turn. Somebody peed in it!!!! Unfortunately the two kiddos were keeping me so busy that I didn't notice which one did it! I think we may need a 2nd potty though to avoid fights over who gets to sit. We're definitely in a phase of each kid wanting what the other one has.

Willo, I envy your painting project. After 5 dogs and 2 kiddos our walls are in desperate need of repainting. I wonder though if we shouldn't just wait a couple of years until they've reach the ultimate in grubbiness. LOL.

Off to bed. Hope all the babes give their mamas some zzzzzzzzzs.
#200 of 235 Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 AM

I'm so glad everyone was ok! Yoikes!

We're still not certain what to do about Ro's b-day. With Laia we had half a dozen friends over, plus family. Well, all of the couples that came to her party are now divorced so we'd have to "pick" which person to invite, some have moved to the left coast, some friends have fallen out and wont go to events where their "ex-friend" will be, and most of the waldorf kiddos from Laia's group are going to be on vacation. Not to mention my dad refuses to leave the house, my mom wont talk to me, one set of ILs no longer leaves their town (albany area) and the other MIL is travelling and may not make it.

Sooooo... there's still no kitchen, the bathroom is still missing a wall, the yard is a sheet of mud and the bugs are evil (lots of biting, itching, flying into eyes).

I'm clueless. I want to have a party mostly for the pictures... I don't want Ro to look at her photo album and say "Hey! Laia got a party and I didn't?" But I really don't know what to do! We got her new shoes (she's wearing them), a push/walker/mower/thingie (she's been playing with it), and a cd "book" with blank cds, some noisy metal kitchen utensils... oh, and a metal sippy that hasn't arrived yet. But what to do about that dang party.

Carseats- we had dd1 in a RF Britax Marathon till she was ~20 months (she was close to 30lbs then). We couldn't have two RF Marathons in our vehicle though (Kia Sportage, 2000) so we flipped dd1 FF and put Ro first in a bucket (no base, very slim) and then the RF Marathon. DD1 is currently FF in an Alpha-Omega. Since Ro is only 18lbs she'll be RF till 20 lbs or a new sib, whichever takes longer.

We really need our new vehicle to have more room though. DD1 can't put her feet down and has to sit with her legs crossed on her car seat or with them splayed to either side of the driver's seat... her car seat base is only an inch or two from the back of the front seat and it's only going to get worse as she grows!

#201 of 235 Old 05-27-2008, 01:11 PM

Clay, we are still trying to figure out what to do for Ev's birthday, and it is coming up really soon - the 5th! Most likely we'll just wait until the 20th and do a family party then. But we're still trying to figure it all out. : My mom keeps throwing me guilt trips about not inviting a bunch of kids, but it is so much more work with a ton of kids invited and Evan could care less. He's actually have more fun with less people! With DS2 we didn't do "real" birthday parties until he was 5 : We usually just did something special on his day - like trips to the aquarium, Disney one year, etc.

Tori: We brought out the potty last night too! Evan's bum is so thin that he kept falling in - he thought it was quite funny. I saw him making his pooping face so I decided to give the potty a try. It is DS1's old potty. Of course Evan was too focused on his new "toy" to bother actually going potty.

Did everyone have a nice long weekend? We had a relaxing weekend and went to the beach one day. We saw two manatees in the water! It was exciting, I've never seen a "wild" manatee.

#202 of 235 Old 05-27-2008, 01:44 PM

We had a crazy insane weekend... none of our indoor projects got done but we managed to turn the yard into a real mess. We got rid of dozens of little trees/srubs/weeds/large plant thingies and clear out the edges of the front property. Then we built a split rail fence (cedar!) along the frontage... about 80 feet. Then we added outdoor lighting. The fence looked so nice and without the shrubby mess you could see how icky the yard looked (9+ years or letting the branbles and woods do their thing) so we rented a rototiller and turned the whole thing under. Then we seeded with grass, wildflower mix, butterfly garden mix, mint, chives, dill, and black eyed susans. We also gathered most of the bigger rocks we found and built a little outline of where the garden will be. Of course it was blistering sun while we were working and then it rained... today is cold and wet which should be good for the seeds but it was nasty to work in. DD1's shoes are solid clumps of dried mud.

So right now the side yard looks pretty horrible (all wet mud and ripped up plant stuff) but give it a few weeks and it should look pretty cool! And it had to be done since all the brambles were making it hard to play without getting ripped to shreds.

We did go out for dinner though (twice!) and Ro spent a while sitting in the shade playing with dandelions. It was really cute.

Party- yeah, with DD1 the party guests were all our friends... a few had kiddos but that was sort of beside the point. Now though any party is going to have to keep dd1 amused too. I don't know. We could do a bbq but who would we invite? I hadn't really noticed before but we're living in the middle of a social meltdown!

#203 of 235 Old 05-27-2008, 07:43 PM

Clay, I feel your party dilemma. We didn't have a party for similar reasons. We had actually planned to, but friends went out of town, family has too many feuds or is far away. Long story, not worth repeating.

Jillian, aren't those little butt cheeks so terribly cute on the potty?!! I can just see your little guy's slim bottom falling in. So cute! My two keep fighting over who gets to sit on the potty. Unfortunately they both also want to open the lid and put hands, toys, books inside. We've already had a few toys in the big potty situations that we'd prefer not to repeat. At least it convinced DH that always flushing is a good idea. LOL

Will you all think some good thoughts for us? DH has been out of work since before Christmas. For awhile it was great and he's now SO amazingly good with the kids. But now our savings our gone and the FL state budget (which funds the state university where I teach) is seriously in the red. My job is in danger. It shouldn't be, but the administrators have their eye on firing a colleague of mine who's husband is an administrator who fell into disfavor. (Both are top-notch people BTW! The whole situation is really ugly.) My job may be a casualty of this very personal agenda because job eliminations must follow union bylaws. We should know later in June. Thanks.
#204 of 235 Old 05-27-2008, 08:38 PM

Torio- ugh! Good luck! Is moving an option for you? Perhaps you could find a position at a school with a better budget picture? I'm so sorry for this added stress, and I'll keep my fingers crossed...

#205 of 235 Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM

Tori: That must be really stressful. I'm sorry. I hope your job stays safe and you find out soon.

#206 of 235 Old 05-27-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torio View Post
Will you all think some good thoughts for us? DH has been out of work since before Christmas. For awhile it was great and he's now SO amazingly good with the kids. But now our savings our gone and the FL state budget (which funds the state university where I teach) is seriously in the red. My job is in danger. It shouldn't be, but the administrators have their eye on firing a colleague of mine who's husband is an administrator who fell into disfavor. (Both are top-notch people BTW! The whole situation is really ugly.) My job may be a casualty of this very personal agenda because job eliminations must follow union bylaws. We should know later in June. Thanks.
Torio, ! We are in an almost identical situation. My DH was laid off in October and has had the worst luck finding a comparable job. He finally got seasonal position at a hardware store and decided to go back to law school in September. I teach at a state school as well and still don't know if I'll have a position come fall due to a state budget crisis.

My thoughts are with you, mama!

treehugger.gif
#207 of 235 Old 05-27-2008, 10:07 PM

Positive vibes to all who need them. :

A. took his first couple of steps yesterday. Of course, he hasn't repeated it today, though he did it several times yesterday. I'm sure he'll remember soon.

Still no thoughts on birthday parties here, except that I expect to have one. Since DH and A. share a birthday, I think we'll just invite over a family we're all friends with. DH likes the Dad, I like the Mom, S. likes playing with both sons, and A. just loves watching the big boys play!

The painting is done for now, and the entry hall looks SO MUCH BRIGHTER with the fake-o-wood paneling covered in Ylang Ylang (creamy yellowish white) paint.

Haven't had much time to post. Still don't!

--willo
#208 of 235 Old 05-28-2008, 12:19 AM

No big parties here either. In-laws will be out of town. I don't have any family instate. So it will just be us at home with cake, candles, party hats, and singing.

Sean had about 5 hours worth of naps today so now he is not anywhere NEAR ready for bed. I here him whining right now at 8:30pm as dh is trying to lul him to sleep. No dice. Nursing to sleep only works when he is fully exhausted nowadays.

Mom to :, , and :
#209 of 235 Old 05-28-2008, 03:33 PM

Torio, ugh! Good vibes your way!

Who has stolen my happy baby? Tijn is SO out of sorts, has been for the last few days in fact. Yes, there's one teeth still making its way in, but there's something else going on. He's always been the baby of extremes, but somehow the extremely happy is gone. He is set off by nothing, and he SCREAMS. I mean ear piercing yells of frustration, and he goes into hysterics over nothing. He tumbled over today, slowly, nothing special, and cried inconsolably for 20 minutes. No ear infections, doesn't seem sick. Anyone any suggestions what it can be, and even better, how I can fix it? I feel really bad for him FWIW, he nurses like crap too, but most likely that's the teething. My boobs are NOT happy.

Sorry, I'm going to run again. Just wanted to ask for ideas!
#210 of 235 Old 05-28-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimoose View Post
Tijn is SO out of sorts, has been for the last few days in fact. ... Anyone any suggestions what it can be, and even better, how I can fix it? I feel really bad for him ...
If it were me, I'd schedule a doctor appointment, just in case this doesn't clear up in the next couple of days. (You can always cancel.)

Have you tried homeopathic Chamomilla? It helps children when they are inconsolable.

Could the teething/poor nursing combined with his growth and older age mean he needs more table food? I notice A. doesn't always "tell" me he's hungry, but he gets ornery for a couple of days until I realize I need to noticeably increase his solid food feedings. (I still offer breast/bottles, and he refuses more, but seems to really want/need SOLIDS when this happens.)

If nothing else, hugs to help you get through it. It is so upsetting to me when my kids are upset. You must be getting stressed about it.

--willo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page