Does it bother you when people throw babies in the air and catch them? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 82 Old 05-08-2008, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH is the tosser. I like to drop DS. I count to three and then let my grip loose and follow him (with my arms around him) as he falls and catch him about midway down. As soon as he hears me say one he gets a big grin and is giggling by three.
#62 of 82 Old 05-08-2008, 02:33 PM

Both my babies have loved it!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#63 of 82 Old 05-08-2008, 03:17 PM

My kids have all loved it, but it's not like we throw them violently or anything. They all think it's hilarious.
#64 of 82 Old 05-08-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
You laughed at the image of a kid in a ceiling fan? That's messed up...

:
Eh, what can I say??

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#65 of 82 Old 05-08-2008, 06:12 PM

My children have all loved it and laugh hysterically. If they get upset we stop and we only do it when they are older and have good strong neck muscles. Sometimes DH does go a bit to high and it makes me nervous so I ask him to stop but really, it's just a fun game. They love to be spun and bounced and played with. they are just typical kids.

:
#66 of 82 Old 05-08-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerlerler View Post
To this day, if he wakes up and I don't want to nurse him, I JUMP up and down on the bed and he valms right down
laughup

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#67 of 82 Old 05-08-2008, 06:58 PM

We have never treated dd like she was going to break in half. She laughs when we toss her. It's one of our tricks to get the giggles out!

Casey, wife to Danny, mom to Olive : and Darcy : .
#68 of 82 Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 PM

We toss the boys frequently. They LOVE it! Granted, we don't do it very high, and nothing acrobatic, but I think roughhousing is good for kids.

Within limits. I have to say that I watch my neighbor toss his 4-year-old up in the air, and I stop breathing until the kid is safely on the ground. I swear, the way he tosses him, he could throw him, go in the house and make a sandwich, and then come back and catch him. Makes me so nervous! But the kid loves it, and he's never been hurt. I wouldn't do it, but....
#69 of 82 Old 05-09-2008, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
My husband does it and it makes me so mad. It scares the CRAP out of me.
How does the kid feel about it, though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
Today he had my 7-week-old standing up on her own, only holding onto two of his fingers with her little hands. If she would have let go... She was on the bed, but still! It's scary!
Why? What do you envision happening?

We did this a TON with our DS1, and will do it again with DS2... practicing standing/sitting/etc. on the bed. And, most importantly, practicing FALLING on the bed. I would help DS1 get to standing, then I'd let go and let him fall. He thought it was great fun, and most importantly, he learned *how* to fall.

When he was 15 months old, we were at the Mommy Movie and he fell backwards off a theater seat towards the concrete floor. I nearly screamed... but he put his elbows back and caught himself perfectly with his forearms. His head never even came close to hitting, and he bounced right back up like nothing happened. Letting kids safely experience falling over is the best way to keep them safe, IMO!
#70 of 82 Old 05-09-2008, 08:32 AM

My older son loved to be tossed, but my younger baby just hates it. It scares him, so I don't do it.

When I was a kid, we were visiting some relatives who just had a baby. The baby was a few days old, and her dad was throwing her up in the air. Everyone was horrified, but no one said anything.

Tis the season, for hot apple cider!
#71 of 82 Old 05-09-2008, 02:10 PM

My baby has nine uncles, so I'm reading with interest, because I'm sure in a few months as he gets older (1 1/2 mo. now) they're going to be playing with him and probably doing a little tossing. Of course if he doesn't like it it won't happen. I think head stability is the major concern for me. I wouldn't want whiplash, and it seems like it could easily go from fun, to a little too rough. So it makes sense to wait till they have strong necks, and to pay close attention to their cues. And it also makes sense to have fun with your baby!

OTOH, my uncle once tossed my cousin up and he hit his head on the (very very low) ceiling. Another hazard to be aware of.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#72 of 82 Old 05-09-2008, 06:00 PM

Speaking of baby tossing, have you all seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI7IGW8RXiM

Laura~ wife to my stuntman, Stig, mama to Gavin Rutgar reading.gif(4) and now Wyatt Andreas (1) and 2 little angel1.gif.

#73 of 82 Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redifer View Post
The other favorite things my kids have always loved is when I lay down on my back with my knees bent up to my chest, sat them on my ankles, and bounced them around like a rodeo. They giggle so hard they start hiccuping. Or same thing, I'll lay them on my shins on their belly and lightly 'toss' them by bucking my hips... more crazy giggles.
That's my favorite thing to do with little kids.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#74 of 82 Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 PM

I keep reading the title of this thread and thinking "As opposed to NOT catching them?"
#75 of 82 Old 05-10-2008, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
I keep reading the title of this thread and thinking "As opposed to NOT catching them?"

I think if I had titled it "Does it bother you when people throw babies"?......I would have had some big problems!!

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
#76 of 82 Old 05-10-2008, 09:48 AM

I don't let her leave my hands that much, but I "fly" her up over my head and might toss her a couple inches above my hands (does that even make sense?)...and she thinks it's a riot. I think it's something about being high up. I've started sitting her on my shoulders and going "OMG! You're SO TALL!!!!" and she just laughs
#77 of 82 Old 05-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
I'm a visual thinker. I just had visions of this. I'm sorry -- I laughed.
Me too :

#78 of 82 Old 05-10-2008, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My kids love it. I wouldn't do it if it scared them, that's just cruel.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
#79 of 82 Old 05-10-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygones75 View Post
It never bothered me. Until my husband did it to my firstborn, and he hit the baby's head on a moving ceiling fan. (Dh is 6'6". He forgets how high up he is.)

So after the ER and the trauma then ensued, he'll never do that again!
See this is my fear Poor baby.
#80 of 82 Old 05-10-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Calla~ View Post
Because it bugs me out. I would never do that why make a young infant or older for that matter scared?
It doesn't bother me, my babies smile and laugh hysterically so I'm pretty sure they are ok with it

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#81 of 82 Old 05-11-2008, 02:31 AM

we started throwing DD when she was about 8 mos, and she loves it, we started slow and was super aware of her reaction. i do think that it is a wierd thing that A LOT of parents end up doing. i was so sure that I was not going to be that parent, but here i am and loving it!
#82 of 82 Old 05-14-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
My babes love it

Why WOULDN'T I do it??
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Calla~ View Post
I guess.

But I guess I'm the odd man out here. My kids don't like it. Dd looks terrified when dh does it, so we don't.
From your sig, your daughter is nine months old? She's on the younger end of tossable, in my personal opinion, and men tend to toss higher than women (more upper body strength, less danger sense). Of my three children older than nine months, one was moderately tossable, one highly tossable, and one not remotely tossable at that age. We start with small jumps/bounces/spins around here (in hands) when the babes are holding their heads well. Tossing comes later, and lasts until the kids are too big to toss. It's not something we'd do if they were scared, though. The kids laugh like nothing more entertaining has ever occurred to them in their lives.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page