Does it bother you when people throw babies in the air and catch them? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Because it bugs me out. I would never do that why make a young infant or older for that matter scared?

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My babies love it, but I don't do it till they are about a year old. And no one else has ever done the throwing but me....
Old 05-04-2008, 04:17 PM

Well, I don't "throw" DD, but I do swing her up over my head and sort of bounce her at the top. She LOVES it. Makes her smile every time.

I would never do it if it scared her, but I don't think anyone that does it does so with to scare a babe - it makes them laugh. I imagine DH will do that with DD when she's older if she likes it.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:29 PM

I hold my 4 month old way up high and she smiles and laughs. If she was scared I wouldn't do it...

Trying to balance a preschooler and peace....
Old 05-04-2008, 06:31 PM

My DP's done that with all of our kids and they just laaaugh and laugh.

Now, the 3 yr old begs daddy to throw him and the baby runs around holding her arms up for daddy to toss her.

I don't know anyone who would repeatedly throw a baby in the air if the baby didn't like it.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:32 PM

If it scares the baby, sure, I'd be pissed (if someone knew it scared them and kept doing it), but in general, most babies love it, and it's GREAT for their vestibular sense development. Spinning them around, turning them upside down, going on the swings, all that kind of motion helps them learn to balance... which leads to sitting up and walking earlier.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:33 PM

I'm torn. DD LOOOOVES it. Dh kinda bounces her up there, theres no major throwing and catching. But I was thrown and not caught when I was a babe and now have major complications to my back and neck. And live with chronic migraines as a result. So...not so sure what I think

Danielle*

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
Old 05-04-2008, 06:38 PM

I've never seen anyone do it to scare a baby. They like it. It's fine with me.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
they like it but i am a human jungle gym for my kids.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post
THis. I wouldn't toss a little baby without excellent motor and neck control, but older babies love to be gently tossed up.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:22 PM

mine have always liked to be held up high but I'm too scared of dropping them to actually "toss" them up.

I saw a mom at a children's science center almost drop her 6 month old doing that, while her other one (twins) was balancing on a table- 2ft wide- in his carseat (with kids running around everywhere). i was shocked... I didn't want to say anything 'cause I didn't think it was my place but why couldn't the seat be on the floor? I was sooo nervous for her babies, I couldn't keep my eyes off of them. (she probably thought I was some weirdo, luckily I was nursing my new one so it wasn't that strange..).

my partner does 'fly' my three year old around the house though, balancing her on his hands. it freaks me out but she LOVES it and he has never lost his grip. If he did, that would be the end of it.. (I'm kinda neurotic/paranoid like that though)

mischievous.gif
Old 05-04-2008, 08:41 PM

My babes love it

Why WOULDN'T I do it??
Old 05-04-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemizflava View Post
they like it but i am a human jungle gym for my kids.
thats the joke in my house ~ 'mama the lactating junglegym'

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
Old 05-04-2008, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismama View Post

This. DF actually has a "trick" where he tosses DS and gives him a twist, so that he ends up facing the other direction. I'm pretty sure theneighbours can hear the shrieks of laughter that result. The second Ds looks scared or upset, the game it over and it's time to cuddle.

Why would you assume that all babies are scared of being tossed? Most like it that I've seen.

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:17 PM

dp throws ds into the air (couple of inches) but it still bugs me. Somewhere a while back I heard that it's not good to do to young infants... obviously he didn't do it when ds couldn't support his neck. He started around 5 months and he's 8 months now. I see ds' neck "bounce" a little when he lands, and I heard the sudden stopping motion isn't good.

It freaks me out a little, but ds likes it.

I'll be okay with it once he's a little older. I've done a lot of baby tossing myself
Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 PM

I don't like if baby is reallt thrown up. I little bounce is ok but not literally thrown. they are too fragile IMO
Old 05-04-2008, 09:42 PM

See, I don't think babies are especially fragile. Once they have some head control, and if they like it, and none of their parents objects, I don't see the problem. Movement - bouncing, swinging, short hops of free fall with gentle landings - is good for babies.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddoson View Post
I don't like if baby is reallt thrown up. I little bounce is ok but not literally thrown. they are too fragile IMO
Nah, that fragile thing is just a ruse to make sure we take extra good care of them. They are actually pretty tough.

My DS2 is an adrenaline junkie. The higher the better. When he was too little to throw he loved to lay on a couch cushoin and have me bounce him up and down like it was a trampoline. He was probably 3-4 months old then. Now, at 14 months, he likes to be thrown in the air, thrown onto a bed, hung upside down, swung in circles...all that fun stuff.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:09 PM

My baby isn't fragile, and has loved being tossed since she could hold up her head. DH and I are very physically active, so it just made sense to us. I'm constantly dancing and doing cartwheels and handstands through the house, and I want her to get accustomed to that sort of movement, too.

I recently taught her how to launch herself off the counter when I hold out my arms. I let her fall a bit, then swoop her up, which she particularly enjoys
Old 05-04-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBirthMama View Post
Nah, that fragile thing is just a ruse to make sure we take extra good care of them. They are actually pretty tough.
LOL true but if they hit the ground on accident from 5-6 feet they could get hurt. that's what I mean by fragile.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:57 PM

My kiddos both loved it!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddoson View Post
LOL true but if they hit the ground on accident from 5-6 feet they could get hurt. that's what I mean by fragile.
nak
but in that respect, they're less likely to sustain a serious injury than a child a year or two older taking the same fall, due to differences in skeletal structure (more cartilage, less bone).
Old 05-04-2008, 11:32 PM

we toss my ds up, and have for a while (hes 7 months)he has had great control from the beginning..... dh and i will actually stand apart and toss him back and forth. he loves it. he also likes it when dh carries him with his arm straight up and ds belly down on his hand- makes some people nervous, but dh has a good hold on him.... theres more, but i dont want to give anyone a heart attack

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 05-04-2008, 11:36 PM

You would call CPS on me then...

My DS would ONLY sleep if he was almost violently bounced in my arms... I always thought of shaken baby syndrome. But he was colicky and well// it WORKED.

To this day, if he wakes up and I don't want to nurse him, I JUMP up and down on the bed and he valms right down
Old 05-05-2008, 12:23 AM

It makes me cringe when people do this with young babies because they can severely injure the baby's neck. DD is 6 months old and this is definitely still too young.

Like a pp said, I think it's fine for kids one and older, and I did start doing it with DD#1 around this time.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:35 AM

I don't throw ds up in air, I just kinda, toss him but not out of my arms reach, too hard to explain. Anyways, it doesn't scare him, he likes it!! As long as they have head & neck control and it isn't scaring them I don't see why not.

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

Old 05-05-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerlerler View Post

To this day, if he wakes up and I don't want to nurse him, I JUMP up and down on the bed and he valms right down
This made me laugh out loud

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
Old 05-05-2008, 01:00 AM

My 11mo baby is 26lbs--my upper body strength prevents much of a "throw." At the height of his ascent, he's barely out of my fingertips.

He loves it.

I can see the difference between laughing from sheer pleasure and laughing from pleasure/fear. He's afraid of swinging too high on the swing. He laughs, but I can see that his pleasure is mixed with fear, so I slow him down.

When I toss him, there's no fear.

Dh is the only other person who is allowed to toss him. I don't trust other people to make the pleasure/fear judgment. I also don't trust anyone else to always, always, always maintain enough control to catch him.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)
Old 05-05-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamallama View Post
My 11mo baby is 26lbs--my upper body strength prevents much of a "throw." At the height of his ascent, he's barely out of my fingertips.

He loves it.

I can see the difference between laughing from sheer pleasure and laughing from pleasure/fear. He's afraid of swinging too high on the swing. He laughs, but I can see that his pleasure is mixed with fear, so I slow him down.

When I toss him, there's no fear.

Dh is the only other person who is allowed to toss him. I don't trust other people to make the pleasure/fear judgment. I also don't trust anyone else to always, always, always maintain enough control to catch him.
I could've written this!

DD LOVES to be "thrown"... at her weight (same age and weight as yours), I literally don't have the strength to throw her. But I lift her up and kinda bounce her a bit... man does she LAUGH!

But only DH and I do it.

The other favorite things my kids have always loved is when I lay down on my back with my knees bent up to my chest, sat them on my ankles, and bounced them around like a rodeo. They giggle so hard they start hiccuping. Or same thing, I'll lay them on my shins on their belly and lightly 'toss' them by bucking my hips... more crazy giggles.

I'd never do it if she started crying... that wouldn't be cool. But most of the time, if she's extremely tired or just miserable, that's the only thing that will make her STOP crying and get a good deep belly laugh so she can relax, is bouncing/tossing.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:55 AM

All of my girls LOVED being thrown in the air as babies, and they still love it now. I've never seen anyone do this if it scared their baby.

I don't think babies are as fragile as alot of people think they are. When they're thrown into the air, there's no damage to their necks unless they're being thrown very forcefully. And when they're caught, they're bouyed into arms, not just stopped suddenly. The whole motion is pretty smooth.

User Tag List