Poll: Does your baby "sleep through the night" in your bed? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Does your baby "sleep all night" in your bed or his/her own bed?
Sleeps all night in his/her own bed and room (less than 1 year old) 12 6.82%
Sleeps all night with us in our bed (less than 1 year old) 47 26.70%
Wakes up every 2 hours or less in own room (less than 1 year old) 7 3.98%
Wakes up every 2 hours or less in our bed (less than 1 year old) 77 43.75%
Wakes up once or twice a night, still. Own room (more than 1 year) 5 2.84%
Wakes up once or twice a night, still. Our bed (more than 1 year old) 28 15.91%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I work with a guy who's 8 month old daughter is sleeping all night (from around 9-5am), in her own room. I'm still getting up with our 13 month old daughter 3 times a night but she sleeps with us most of the night.

Here's what I'm curious about: if your baby has his/her own room, does that make it more likely that they sleep all night vs. co-sleeping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 11:07 AM

My 10 month does not sleep through the night. She's my 4th baby and the worst sleeper by far. She wakes 2-4 times per night to nurse and crawl around the bed. Two of my other kids were sleeping 10 or so hours at night by this age even though they were co-sleeping. The other only woke once or twice. I wish I knew the trick because I'd sure like more sleep.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#3 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 11:42 AM

I can't speak to the own room thing, but I can share my experience: My babe sleeps all night long in our bed. She sleeps through several nursings. All and all, it works good for us, but there are rough patches where my sleep sucks (but never hers). When it gets bad, I just institute more rest during the days (although I can't nap to save my life) and dh has to step up his game. It's a sacrafice but it will pass, and I know dd enjoys her days more when she's well rested. I am just not willing to struggle with trying to mold her sleep patterns right now.

She has a cousin who is half her age and has been sleeping through the night in his own room, and I find it best when I don't compare them. That lo is formula fed and was put into a strict routine ealry early on. I made different choices, and have a different kiddo because of it.

Grace Comes.

#4 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebaraka View Post
I can't speak to the own room thing, but I can share my experience: My babe sleeps all night long in our bed. She sleeps through several nursings. All and all, it works good for us, but there are rough patches where my sleep sucks (but never hers). When it gets bad, I just institute more rest during the days (although I can't nap to save my life) and dh has to step up his game. It's a sacrafice but it will pass, and I know dd enjoys her days more when she's well rested. I am just not willing to struggle with trying to mold her sleep patterns right now.

She has a cousin who is half her age and has been sleeping through the night in his own room, and I find it best when I don't compare them. That lo is formula fed and was put into a strict routine ealry early on. I made different choices, and have a different kiddo because of it.
I agree completely. People rarely discuss this subject in its full context. Our twins have slept with DH and I since their birth and are EBF. At 11 mos they now eat some solids too. Yet they continue to nurse through the night which I think is a good thing. Like dancebaraka's babe they sleep through the nursing most of the time. In fact I sleep through most of the nursing too. Now and then one or both kiddos wakes up more often. I consider that normal. Everyone has nights when sleep comes less easily. Why should we expect babies, who are making such incredible developmental leaps, to be any different.

I prefer the question, "Are you finding a solution for sleeping that works for your family?"
#5 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 12:12 PM

DS is not quite 1. He starts out the night in his crib, wakes up at 11 to nurse, I put him back in his crib, but if he doesn't go right to sleep he comes to bed with us (otherwise he comes with us whenever his next waking is). He wakes up at least 1 more time to nurse, then again at about 6, where he has a broken sleep until he is up for the day between 7 and 8.
#6 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 12:13 PM

None of my kids slept through the night consistantly before they were 2 or so. Avraham Tzvi has actually done it a couple of times (in my room, in my bed or sometimesin the crib in my room), but I wouldn't say he's a baby who "sleeps through the night" kwim?

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

#7 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 12:19 PM

My ds wakes up a few times each night, in our bed, to nurse and then falls back to sleep within minutes. He started this at 5 months old. Prior to that he was in a crib, in our room sttn. We changed to bedsharing then, because it was easier to nurse during the night that way. So basically we started bedsharing when our crib sleeping child started waking up frequently in the night. FTR: since we have been cosleeping I can't beleive we didn't do it since day 1 and I gave the crib away.

caffix.gif

#8 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 12:23 PM

I voted for the wakes every 2 hours or less in our bed, less then 1 year b/c it was the closest to an answer. However she wakes up more like every 2-4 hours.

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#9 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 12:23 PM

DD pretty much sleeps through the night, she's 10 weeks. I mean she wakes up and nurses, but we're both sleepy through it (though she sleeps better through it than I do). There's no more waking up crying, generally. Oh yeah, we co-sleep. As far as I'm concerned, that's sleeping through the night.

signature currently in transition
#10 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 12:55 PM

DS is an excellent sleeper, and always has been. He is 8mo and sleeps "through the night" ie from 12am to about 5-6am almost everynight. Teething exlcuded. (We cosleep)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#11 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 03:33 PM

DS2 sleeps 9:30pm - 6:30am most nights. He will occasionally wake up during the night. If he wakes I nurse him. He sleeps in his own room/crib. DS1 slept with me until he was 3 - he didn't sleep through the night until he was 3
I slept with ds2 frequently in the beginning - but other than just fussy infant nights - he always slept better alone.
Comparing my 2 experiences - I like the crib better for efficiency (better sleep for both of us) but I really really miss him and would like to snuggle up to him and feel him close.
#12 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 06:16 PM

I said that my son sleeps through the night in our bed (he is 3mo). Really, he nurses several times a night, but neither of us wakes up to do it, really. I consider myself pretty blessed.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#13 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 06:34 PM

I put the last one waking up once or twice a night in our own bed only because he's more than a year old.... he still wakes up every couples hours. I think he just likes my huge knockers... haha!

He's never been a good sleepr though!
#14 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 06:45 PM

My 6 month old DS sleeps in my bed, and wakes to nurse every 2-4 hours. We just latch on, and go right back to sleep.
#15 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS is 8 months and wakes every 30 min to 1 hour. It totally sucks. He sleeps in my bed. He has been this way for about 4 months now.
#16 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 07:41 PM

i put wakes up every two hours or less, nd in her own room. this is an imporvement and we just moved her there because she was waking every 30 min or so in our bed and i was going crazy.

In love with their dad . mom to (dd 5/20/07)notes.gif, and (ds 3/27/09)moon.gif ,and (dd 5/9/11) love.gif, and (ds 5/14/13) nak.gif

#17 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 07:49 PM

Okay I chose this:

Wakes up once or twice a night, still. Our bed (more than 1 year old)

but I didn't notice until after that it says more than a year old.

He is less than a year. Some weeks he sleeps all night and some weeks he is up once or twice a night.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#18 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 07:58 PM

Guess our option isn't there. DS sleeps in bed with us. He sleeps for a good 4 hour chunk of time, then he's up every hour, maybe? I don't keep a clock by the bed, but he wakes frequently.

That being said, he just latches on & goes back to sleep - me too - I just wish I wouldn't wake up when he does. But I'm the lightest sleeper on the planet.

I really can't complain. My daughter woke up every hour at that age too - but she required me getting up & out of bed with her, bounching, rocking, dancing, singing for a half hour before being ready to nurse back to sleep again.

She sleeps through the night most nights now.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#19 of 52 Old 05-06-2008, 11:46 PM

I won't readily admit this on a day after my daughter has woken up frequently and I am feeling sleep deprived even though I barely had to move to get her to go back to sleep... but nighttime parenting, because of co-sleeping and luck of the draw, is SO much easier than I expected it was going to be. I thought I was going to have to get up every hour, bounce the baby to sleep while pacing up and down the hallway, finally lay her down and get 20 mins. of sleep before starting all over again. I had no idea that stage, for many lucky people like me, lasts only the first week or so.

Between the age of 3 weeks - 3 months DD "slept through the night" and it was wonderful. But since, for the most part, she wakes up between 2-4 times at night, but nurses right back to sleep. Once in a blue moon she will do crazy things like try to start playing at 4 am, or actually start crying before latching, or wake up every hour or more (that is the worst) but that's usually related to teething, I think. I usually feel pretty well rested throughout the day. :
#20 of 52 Old 05-07-2008, 01:44 AM

I voted that my 3 month old sleeps the whole night with me because if she wakes up, I sure don't notice it, or have mastered the art of getting the breast in her mouth while sleeping!
#21 of 52 Old 05-07-2008, 01:59 AM

My 8 month old sleeps with me in my bed and sleeps through the night (from 8-10pm to 6-7am) with the exception of when he's teething or sick. Then he wakes up sometimes throughout the night. I've been blessed with good sleepers.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#22 of 52 Old 05-07-2008, 01:59 AM

Sage has been a heavy sleeper since day one. I always atributed it to co sleeping and it is intresting to see that is not always the case..
#23 of 52 Old 05-07-2008, 02:07 AM

What do you define as "sleeps all night"?
My 4.5 mo DD sleeps the whole night but nurses about 5 times a night - she nurses in her sleep. Do you consider it sleeping through the night?

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
#24 of 52 Old 05-07-2008, 02:37 AM

My son has been sleeping through the night (about 10 hours, give or take) for about a month, so from about eleven months old. But I'm pregnant and the associated drop in milk supply has him about 80% weaned at this point. I would not expect that to be the case were he still primarily breastfed -- at 7-8 months he was usually sleeping 3-4 hours followed by 1-2 hour stretches, and as my supply started tanking when he was 8-9 months old we were lucky to get two hours at a time ever.
#25 of 52 Old 05-07-2008, 03:45 AM

Niamh nurses in her (and most of the time my) sleep. she stirs long enough for me to pop the boob and lact-aid in her mouth, then she nurses in her sleep. she stirs two or three times a night.
we have co-slept since day one and she has been like this since birth, she is 9mo now.

treehugger.gif )O( unschooling, witchy mum to Addy(7) and Niamh(4)
Living with an invisible chronic illness.
Fat and hairy. And happy with both *( o Y o )*
#26 of 52 Old 05-07-2008, 03:51 AM

DS still woke up at least once or twice a night (although some nights he'd sleep straight through) from about 1 year to now, which is 3.5 years old. He just moved into his own bed, but will still sometimes wake up once in the middle of the night and wander out to find me, or to get a drink.
#27 of 52 Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 AM

shame thats not multiple choice!.....

Because my son is 2.5 years old...

He was sleeping through the night - thats 7:30-7:30 by 4 months old. Our bed. After a year though he started to wake up at least once - our bed.

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#28 of 52 Old 05-07-2008, 10:49 AM

DS is 10mos and does not STTN. On rare, very very rare occasion he will have a 4-5 hour stretch. Usually he wakes up every 2-3 hours for a little snack. We co-sleep so it's not that bad....unless teething or ear issue then he prefers to wake up every hour or just stay attached to the breast all night.

When he was about 4-5 weeks he had a few nights of sleeping 6 hours, I have no clue what that was about, it was definately short lived.
#29 of 52 Old 05-07-2008, 12:00 PM
acp

DD is 10 months old and sleeps in her own room. Currently, she usually wakes up once in the night around 2 or 3 am (out of a 11-12 hour period), when I nurse her. Occasionally she wakes up 2 or 3 times. She's gone through brief stretches where she truly STTN, by my definition, 11 or 12 hours straight - though I can really count those on one hand. She's also gone through stretches where she wakes up several times.
In my opinion, all babes are different - not just in terms of whether they're naturally "good sleepers' or not, but also in terms of where they're at in their development, sleep regressions they all go through, and whehter they sleep better in their own space or cosleeping. For us, I'm convinced that both DD and I sleep better in our own beds, but both of us are pretty light sleepers and are easily disturbed. I think other babies do perfectly well or better cosleeping. And for babies who are nursing a lot during the night, cosleeping might offer a chance for the mama to sleep better. As families, we're really all different, so there's no one solution.

I think the biggest lesson for me, though, was that sleep is an ever-changing phenomenon. Somehow I just thought it was an uphill curve - that DD would start sleeping better and longer until she STTN and then she'd keep doing that. I had no clue that so many things change it, and that sleep regressions happen all the time. My new philosophy is just to enjoy the phases of good sleep while they last.
#30 of 52 Old 05-07-2008, 01:22 PM

I am so glad to read this thread. I know every child is different but I have wondered how to handle the night time. I have a DD2, 7 month old, EBF, and has slept with me from day one. She wakes 2-3 times per night to nurse but goes right back to sleep. She has awakened more often when she has been teething but that has been temporary. I work full time and I feel by doing these night feedings I have been able to make more than enough milk. If she didn't eat during the night I would get very uncomfortable from being so full and would have to get up and pump anyway.

In comparison with DD1 I was told to cut off the night feedings when she got to be 10 lbs, she never slept in the bed with me because I was brought to believe that was bad for a child. I always had trouble with my milk supply and had to supplement with formula and that is probably why I stopped at 7 months. It didn't help that I got lots of bad advice from the medical community, I was a first time mom and I wouldn't dare breastfeed in public. It also didn't help that she was a very high-strung, extremely tempermental baby but I have always wondererd if this behavior was caused by me not giving her what she needed.

That has all changed with the DD2. This time it is about listening to her and only her about what she needs. BF has been an absolute success and positive experience for both us this time, never having a problem with supply. I get looks from people when I tell them she sleeps in the bed with me but I could care less what they think. DD2 is also pretty high strung but she is happy, I have a wonderful, deep connection to her, she has never been sick and I am giving her all the BM and comfort that she needs.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page