4.5-month-old frantic at the dinner table - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-08-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know we are not supposed to start giving solids until 6 months, and with ds#1, I waited until nearly 7 months, as he wasn't showing much interest at all. But my 4.5 month old DD (born one week late) is different. For the past 2 weeks, she has been "going nuts", for lack of a better expression, at the dinner table. I usually have her sitting on my lap, and she gets incredibly frenzied as she tries to grab all the food off my plate. She gets really upset if I move her away, so lately I have been letting her pick up things, like a crust of bread or a lettuce leaf, whatever. She brings it to her mouth and sucks on it, then eventually drops it and gets really upset until I give her some more food to hold. (Tried giving her a spoon or teething toy, but she wasn't interested.)

What should I do? Should I keep letting her hold food and suck on it? Or will it damage her stomach/gut, having solids too early?

42-year-old mama to DS (5) and DD (3)
#2 of 16 Old 05-09-2008, 12:43 PM

My baby is doing getting frantic at the table too. I brought up his high chair because he can pretty much sit in it now and load him up with toys. His tongue thrust is still really evident and I'm just not sure he's actually ready for food even though he's showing interest.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#3 of 16 Old 05-09-2008, 12:46 PM

Does she meet readiness signs? Can she sit unassisted?

What I would do in that situation is put her in a high chair with stuff to play with- a bowl, a spoon, a cup with water etc. Maybe even some frozen milk-mush to eat. And see how that goes.

-Angela
#4 of 16 Old 05-09-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
My baby is doing getting frantic at the table too. I brought up his high chair because he can pretty much sit in it now and load him up with toys. His tongue thrust is still really evident and I'm just not sure he's actually ready for food even though he's showing interest.
This is what I did. DD was very interested in what we had on our plates at that age too. I don't think it was an actual interest in eating, just more exploratory. So we brought out the high chair and gave her plenty of stuff to play with. That made her happy until she was truly ready for solids.

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#5 of 16 Old 05-09-2008, 01:49 PM

If she's still content with breast milk then I think it'd be best just to stick with that until she's at least 6 months or older. As far as her frantic behaviour over food, maybe try not having her in your lap during meals if at all possible.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#6 of 16 Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 PM

Will she play with the spoon? This is what my son loved.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#7 of 16 Old 05-10-2008, 12:31 AM

DS loves sitting in his highchair and banging a little wooden spoon while we're eating. He's fascinated by food so I put a little water on his spoon which he happily opened his mouth for, only to look horrified as soon as the water hit his tongue.
His tongue thrust is definitely still there although he can and does open his mouth for things he wants and he sits unassisted, we'll be holding off for a while still. I get a headache just thinking about the mess self-feeding is going to cause...and the diaper laundry. Ugh, could we just exclusively nurse for a few more years?

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#8 of 16 Old 05-10-2008, 02:33 AM

ds is doing this. He LOVES food. He doesn't quite meet the readiness signs, except for serioiusly loving food, LOL! I have given him a few things, and he likes to suck organic pureed pears off of his little fingers, LOL! He's also cool with bananas, but seems to think apples are gross, LOL! He's not really eating much, so i see no harm in it, it's not replacing any milk, but he gets to play with a tiny bowl (like 1 tbls) of it and of course tries to put it in his mouth. Makes him happy.
I see this as very different from force-feeding a 4 month old a whole bowl of rice cereal 2X per day because the paper the doc gave you says its time!! (which is waht happens around here with the mainstream peds!!!)

CPST
#9 of 16 Old 05-10-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagamama View Post
I know we are not supposed to start giving solids until 6 months, and with ds#1, I waited until nearly 7 months, as he wasn't showing much interest at all. But my 4.5 month old DD (born one week late) is different. For the past 2 weeks, she has been "going nuts", for lack of a better expression, at the dinner table. I usually have her sitting on my lap, and she gets incredibly frenzied as she tries to grab all the food off my plate. She gets really upset if I move her away, so lately I have been letting her pick up things, like a crust of bread or a lettuce leaf, whatever. She brings it to her mouth and sucks on it, then eventually drops it and gets really upset until I give her some more food to hold. (Tried giving her a spoon or teething toy, but she wasn't interested.)

What should I do? Should I keep letting her hold food and suck on it? Or will it damage her stomach/gut, having solids too early?

This was my DS2 exactly. He was also born late (10 days), was sitting up early (at 4 mos), was a huge baby (18 lbs at 4 mos), showed all the classic "signs" of readiness to eat, and plus was lunging wildly at our food and trying to grab it off our plates-- but he was only 4.5 months old! I never thought I'd start a baby on solids younger than 6 months (DS1 was not interested until over 9 months), but I really believe in following the baby's cues and listening to baby's communication, and it just seemed like he was really ready.

We started DS with some slices of soft pears and soft avocados at just before 5 months. I never fed DS, just put the soft foods in front of him and let him go to town on his own. He struggled with picking them up at first, but he never ever choked on anything and handled it all great. I think I did the right thing in listening to DS and trusting his instincts. We went very slowly with solids, sticking with pears and avocados, and later bananas and sweet potatoes for the first month-- no purees, just soft chunks so baby could feed himself. Didn't start much else until he was 6 months old, but now, at 9.5 months, he is an amazing eater.

Personally I'd say, stall if you can for another week or two (or as long as you can while still respecting your baby's needs) and then I'd go ahead and start, really slowly on one or two types of food if your baby is ready in other ways too (sitting up, no tongue-thrust, gained enough weight). As I was telling myself when I let DS start eating so early, in other cultures and in other species of primates I'm sure it's quite common practice to let babies start tasting/eating solids when they are grabbing it out of the adults' hands.

Mommy to two boys, ages 4 and 6.

#10 of 16 Old 05-10-2008, 02:51 AM

Levi did the same thing around that age - but now he is 9.5 months and I still havent started him on solids.
I think it was just that he figured out how to grab thigns better, and also realized that mommy could have something that he wasnt allowed to have.
Toys helped - and we also would put him in a big cardboard box next to the table, which he loved to sit in.
I also just breastfeed him while I eat - it keeps him busy!

I would wait until at least 6 months.
#11 of 16 Old 05-10-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Does she meet readiness signs? Can she sit unassisted?

What I would do in that situation is put her in a high chair with stuff to play with- a bowl, a spoon, a cup with water etc. Maybe even some frozen milk-mush to eat. And see how that goes.

-Angela
:

My ds was the same way and that is what I did. He had lost his tongue thrust and was sitting unassisted at 4.5 months. We did the high chair, water, frozen breastmilk in a mesh feeder, etc., for a month and by 5.5 months he was past all that and I started giving him finger foods, which he totally devoured. His first ever real food was a stalk of steamed asparagus.

I know a lot of people recommend waiting for 6+ months and preferably longer but for me personally it makes more sense to ignore the calendar completely and follow a combo the babies cues and your own instinct. I try to visualize what a human without the AAP or the WHO or the pediatrician or Parents magazine would do in every situation and I feel like we are probably designed to begin eating tiny bits whenever we start reaching out and putting them in our mouths and chewing/gumming and swallowing, whether that is 5.5 months or 10.5 months or any time in between. Every baby's readiness level is different.

Just my $0.02! HTH!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#12 of 16 Old 05-11-2008, 01:31 AM

DD, also 4.5 mo, plopped her hand in my rice the other day. Luckily it wasn't hot. Now I know that she'll dive bomb anything on my plate I keep her far enough away from it. Although it looks like she wants to try it I think she's just exploring. She's not showing any other signs that she's ready for solids.
#13 of 16 Old 05-11-2008, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

All good advice -- thank you. I think I will keep trying to "stall" for a while, but may start giving her some chunks of food for self-feeding around 5.5 months, if she has all the readiness sigsn

The frozen bm is a good idea! I also started giving her carrots to teeth on, which she loves, although she gets frustrated because she drops them every few minutes or so. Actually, she is very big for her age, but cannot sit up on her own, so she is definitely not ready for solids.

42-year-old mama to DS (5) and DD (3)
#14 of 16 Old 05-11-2008, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Let me preface this by saying that I do not agree with or promote this method, I'm just saying it's out there.

My mother fed all of her children solid food from two weeks old. She was told to with my oldest sister (back in the 60's) because she had low milk production and not much money for formula. As a result she did it with all of her kids. I do not plan to follow in her footsteps, but it doesn't seem to have hurt any of us. If your kid really wants food it probably won't hurt.

I'm going to try and do exclusive breastfeeding for as long as my kid will allow it, so I have no idea how old my kid will be when they will want food.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#15 of 16 Old 05-11-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
My mother fed all of her children solid food from two weeks old[...]but it doesn't seem to have hurt any of us.
It doesn't turn out like that for everyone. Some people develop very bad food allergies.

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#16 of 16 Old 05-11-2008, 04:51 PM

DS is 5 months and we are going through that, too. He gets so mad when we eat and he drools with every bite. He isn't quite ready, yet. (still has some tongue thrust, falls over after 30 secs of sitting unassisted, and has no where doubled his birth weight) If an empty cup, spoon and bowl don't work, he is always happy with a momcicle or to be spoon fed slushy EBM. He was VERY happy the time he stole dd's sippy of EBM.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page