question for ERGO users - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-30-2003, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am seriously considering buying the ergo. . .

The one thing I am wondering about is how hard it is to put the baby on your back when you're all alone. My kids are 7 months old. It seems like it would be awkward at best, but maybe I am just imagining the process wrong?

TIA!

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#2 of 9 Old 09-30-2003, 10:53 PM

I've had my Ergo for a few months, and it was hard at first to get dd in by myself but after some practice it was no problem. It's kinda like the sling...you just have to work with it a little bit! But in my experience it has been totally worth it...all the ads are true about how comfortable it is!
HTH!
#3 of 9 Old 10-01-2003, 12:49 AM

I found it quite easy actually. After the first few times it's pretty much second nature - like putting your child on your back for a piggy back ride will be as they get older. If you're slinging already, you've probably already prefected balancing them while placing them into the sling. I loved the Ergo and only stopped using it (and sold it) when DS told me his penis felt squished at 3 years old.
#4 of 9 Old 10-01-2003, 12:52 AM

I used a mirror the first couple of times. And one other time I had to set the baby on the floor, but ever since we've been fine. DS thinks it's a game and holds on while I push/pull him onto my back.

It is an awesome carrier. So comfy -- just like wearing a backpack to school.
#5 of 9 Old 10-01-2003, 02:06 AM

I have had my Ergo for about 2 weeks now and I love it! That said, I am still awkward when I have to put ds on my back alone. I think the main problem is that ds(9months) doesn't understand that I am just trying to get him in right, he throws a big tantrum and squirms a lot. As soon as he is situated though, he loves it. It is all about having the straps loose enough to comfortably get his legs in and then tightening them up.
I totally recommend this carrier.

Mother to one wild and crazy boy 12/29/2002.
Midwife, Homeschool Educator and Crafter.
#6 of 9 Old 10-01-2003, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

We got one. I am absolutely IN LOVE. I don't really understand why it's so comfortable, but it is. It's truly fabulous. I put Luke on my back (definitely awkward, but not impossible), and he laughed! He just laughed and laughed as I walked around the house. Then I put him on my front and he fell asleep instantly. Like, before I even had finished clipping it on. He's never fallen asleep like that before. So, I was instantly sold.

I love how cozy it is, and the warmth of the baby's body next to mine. It feels like being pregnant again almost.

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#7 of 9 Old 10-02-2003, 01:48 PM

Once we have it on, Zack (who is 11 months) is very comfy either way, front or back.

However, he always thinks it is a game when we are putting it on the back. He throws himself backwards instead of lying on my back while I get him it. I can't put it on alone unless I am sitting on my bed, because he has fallen off my back in the process :

Both DH and I do love it. We both think our Kelty backpack is more comfortable for us and for Zack, but the thing is so darn huge! The Ergo is so packable it fits in the diaper bag. We always take it with us in case we need it.

Kristina; wife to Max, Mom to Tristan (17) and Zackariah (7) and Lillian (5)
#8 of 9 Old 10-03-2003, 03:03 AM

I've been using the Ergo for a couple of months now and it's by far my favorite carrier. I actually don't put it on the way the instructions say to. I put it down on the bed, lay my baby on it (who is 8 months old now), then I sort of back myself into it and hook it around my waist. I pull the baby's legs on my sides and then slip the shoulder straps on like a back pack. I wasn't comfortable trying other ways without seeing it and now I'm just used to it this way.
#9 of 9 Old 10-03-2003, 11:19 AM

I love my ergo. I didn't buy it until my son was 24 lbs., now he is 27lbs and he gets really heavy in the sling. It is easier for me to get him in the sling by myself, but so worth it if I take the time to get him in the ergo. It is so much more comfortable on my back. I think if I had been using it from early on I would be used to it.

wave.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page