Do you change newborn's diaper at night? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-16-2008, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
If your newborn is sleeping a nice stretch at night, do you wake them to change their diaper? Dd sleeps well already (YAY!) but then in the morning, she smells awful and has a soggy diaper. So should I have woken her to change her? She nurses at night, but totally in her sleep, and I'm mostly asleep, too. Or should I just get some really absorbent diapers? She still freaks out when we change her bum. I don't remember this stage with my boys.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 born at 31 weeks Oct. 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2008, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With dd we always changed when we found a wet diaper- day or night. She usually slept through it.

-Angela
Old 05-16-2008, 02:50 PM

During that newborn, still pooping at night stage, yes. After that, for just pee, no way! I just put my LO in a really absorbent diaper and wait til morning. I do her last diaper change for the night when I go to bed (usually 3-4 hours after her), when she usually is ready to nurse anyway. I can generally get the diaper change done without her waking all the way. Then she's good for 7-8 hours till morning.

ETA: Just make sure you use something that wicks the moisture away from the skin. And of course change even wet diapers if you're having any rash issues.

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
Old 05-16-2008, 02:51 PM

noooooooooooooooooo.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:52 PM

i used to change when wet...after a month or so usually only once a night i think (seems sooo long ago i have a hard time remembering). at 24 months i ddont change at night. lol!
Old 05-16-2008, 02:52 PM

for me, it depends. I wouldn't leave him for a very long stretch, like say, over three hours, but he hasn't slept that long yet so sometimes if the diaper is just a little wet I don't. I always change if it's poopy or soaked though. He doesn't sleep through a diaper change, but he doesnt freak out either, so I guess it would depend on the baby too.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:56 PM

Nope.
We use a Fuzzi Bunz or Bum Genius at night, never had any leaks
Old 05-16-2008, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
No way. Only if there's major poo. None of my babies would ever have slept through a diaper change.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:09 PM

Never never never (unless there is poop or a leak involved). Like the pps said, just use a liner or a pocket diaper so they're not sitting in soggy wetness all night.

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
Old 05-16-2008, 03:14 PM

I've always had to change my guys at night during the first month or so, no matter what kind of diapers I was using. They peed a metric ton at night.

However, something I've never tried...my midwife said she heard the trick...cut a slit through the middle of one disposable diaper, put in on baby, then put on another diaper in the next size up...voila.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 05-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
However, something I've never tried...my midwife said she heard the trick...cut a slit through the middle of one disposable diaper, put in on baby, then put on another diaper in the next size up...voila.

Brilliant!
Old 05-16-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post
No way. Only if there's major poo. None of my babies would ever have slept through a diaper change.
Agreed!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 05-16-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholewheatmama View Post
During that newborn, still pooping at night stage, yes. After that, for just pee, no way! I just put my LO in a really absorbent diaper and wait til morning.
:

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 05-16-2008, 03:28 PM

Don't wake a sleeping baby.

If a diaper change wakes the baby, then I wouldn't. But if it's nasty poop and messy and there's a good chance it won't fully wake the baby, then yes.

But if it's just wet and the baby isn't bothered by it enough to wake, then I'd leave it be.

We often changed her in our bed though (having a small lamp with a nightlight bulb on top of the bookshelf gave enough light), specifically so as to not wake her.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 05-16-2008, 03:57 PM

I changed it if it was really wet or there was a poopy bum in there but other than that I didn't wake the sleeping beast.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:01 PM

I don't change DS at night any more. He's 6 weeks old. I changed him once per night at first, but it was too hard on me and woke him up too much. I've finally found a nighttime diaper configuration that stands up to all the pee (DS doesn't poop at night). I put on a prefold with a hemp doubler in it and Snappi it and then I put another prefold over that (no Snappi) and then a wool soaker. The outer prefold gets wet, but not soaking and the bed stays dry.

I also use a piece of waterproof flannelette under DS. Then a towel over that where DS and I sleep. That way, I don't have anything waterproof beneath me but I catch milk leaks in the towel and DS doesn't trash the bed even when his diaper does leak. I'm still trying some new covers so my method isn't always foolproof yet.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

Old 05-16-2008, 04:12 PM

My LO is 3 weeks old. He wakes up every 2-4 hours at night to nurse (wel, eat, i'm feeding him EBM right now). So I go put the bottle in the warmer, comeback to change him, then by the time i'm finished, the bottle is ready. I don't like to let him go more than a couple of hours without changing his diaper, so that's usually with every feeding.
I am having BF'ing/boobie issues, so I really don't want to add diaper rash on top of all of that.

I'm Aicha . In love with my DH, and my Adam (4/23/08) . boobie monster.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:18 PM

I change all poo dipes as soon as possible... so for the first couple weeks where a dipe is more or less part of the nursing session yes, I changed dipes at night (usually nurse one side, change dipe, nurse other side back to sleep). As they get a bit bigger and don't poo every time they nurse then I generally leave the dipe alone unless they are having difficulty settling back into sleep despite the nursing. I think the last night dipe I changed was when dd2 was around 4 months.

(not counting icky dipes when they have a cold of course... those get changed as soon as they happen!)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 05-16-2008, 05:13 PM

I wouldn't even consider waking up my kids to change their wet diapers. If they are asleep. They are fine.

I changed poopy ones in the night of course. But as soon as those stopped. Um yeah - not changing a wet diaper on a sleeping kid. Both my kids would have woken up the neighborhood if I woke them to change them.

A benefit of cosleeping is that you don't have to wake up fully to feed/nurse your baby. Its sorta negated when you wake up fully to change their diaper.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

Old 05-16-2008, 05:50 PM
acp

I changed my newborn's diaper at night when/if she woke up, but I NEVER woke her up just to change a diaper. When she started sleeping longer stretches, I made sure I used something that wicked moisture away from her skin, and often double stuffed with a hemp insert.
Even when she got a bit older I changed her diaper as little as possible at night, since it would wake her fully up. REcently, when she started sometimes sleeping much longer stretches (10-11 hours), and was starting to get a bit of a rash even with double-stuffed hemp diaper, I started using a sposie at night for just this reason.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:51 PM
acp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
With dd we always changed when we found a wet diaper- day or night. She usually slept through it.
I'm amazed. Just shows how different every baby is, I suppose. No way would DD ever - as a newborn or an older babe - have slept through a diaper change. And it's one way guaranteed to wake her up fully, even if she was in a drowsy, semi-sleep state before.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:00 PM

I have only changed the diaper in hte middle of the night a few times...if he is awake anyway. Otherwise, I wait until mornig...since he doens't get irritated and only pees at night it works fine. I do have to use the most absorbant diaper possible though or it leaks through.

Mother of 2 boys, new little one on the way
Old 05-16-2008, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It depends. If I can smell that she's dirty I'll change her even if it means waking up. If she's in a dispoable (we use them at night and when we're out of the house if we have extra money) and it's just wet, I leave it. If she's in cloth and it's wet, I change it. She nurses a few times at night (almost 9 weeks old) but doesn't normally wake up.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:09 PM

I would never wake up a sleeping baby to change them. With my baby who is now <8 mo, I wouldn't change him unless I knew it was affecting his sleep--wiggling around, grunting, whining. But if I changed him, he would be awake for 1-3 hours, that was it, yikes!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:17 PM

Only if she wakes up.
If she poops, she WILL wake up and then I change her. otherwise, I change her once before she falls asleep. but she still wakes up in the night to have a bottle most nights, so I am normally changing her once per night still.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acp View Post
I'm amazed. Just shows how different every baby is, I suppose. No way would DD ever - as a newborn or an older babe - have slept through a diaper change. And it's one way guaranteed to wake her up fully, even if she was in a drowsy, semi-sleep state before.
Me too! DD would have never slept through a diaper change - as soon as she stopped pooping at night we stopped changing her at night. I only do now if she gets so wet that she actually leaks a bit (which happens once in a while) and even then only when she wakes up to eat.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:06 PM

yes, i do. i wouldn't want to sit in my own urine and i imagine she probably doesn't either.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:21 PM

DD stopped pooping at night at around 1.5 mo, so we stopped changing her. I put a double diaper at night. I change her first thing in the morning

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
Old 05-16-2008, 10:10 PM

I've always changed DD at night.
We use Gdiapers and she rarely leaks. She's not a super soaker but I don't like to leave in wet dipes. She cries/fusses a bit but then falls asleep and guzzles her bottle. Once sated, she's OUT! :-) Or at least that's how it works now..

Old 05-16-2008, 10:23 PM

I would usually check her diaper when she would nurse during the night, and if it was wet I'd change her. But I wouldn't wake her up, I'd do it while she was sleeping and while I was nursing her.

User Tag List