Hard, white "bump" on 6 wk olds gums? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-19-2008, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds2 is 6 wks old. He has a "bump" (about the size of a pea) on his forehead - at the hairline just above the temple - that the doctors have thought to be either a calcium deposit or "fatty tissue" deposit. It's been there since birth. FWIW, he was born at 42 wks at 11.51 pounds via c/s after 24 hours natural (non medicated) labor at home with 2 hours pushing. He was in the NICU for 1 wk for "infection". He is strictly breast fed.

After being home for about a wk, DH noticed a "bump" on his lower right gum down on the side of it. Initially, we thought maybe he was getting a tooth in the wrong spot. But, now I really don't think it's a tooth for a couple of reasons. 1) it doesn't look like a tooth "formation" (you know, with the blistery look initially, then popping up and going back, etc) and 2) it looks more like a large pimple, but is hard, 3) I've noticed another couple of spots like that on the other side lower gum - also raised - and on the upper gum, but not a raised bump - just a white spot. I believe all of these oral "bumps" / spots have been there since birth they are just not in typically noticeable places. I don't know if there is a correlation between the forehead bump and oral spots. Oh and the bump on his forehead is not white, it is skin with a bump under the skin.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Any ideas as to what it might be??? I'm not worried per se, but it does bother me!

: currently not vaxing. love.gif Wife to awesome DH 10 yrs; Mama to DS1 8/06 and DS2 4/08; ribbonteal.gif for my mom who's 5 yr post, my grama who died of ovarian cancer 31 yrs ago
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-19-2008, 05:50 PM

My now 4 yr old ds had one when he was a baby. I showed it to the doc at one of his well-baby checks and it was nothing to be concerned about. I forget what he said it was, but it was harmless and resolved on it's own. Ds3, now 3.5 months old had one when he was a newborn and it's gone now. I don't even know when it went away - lol.
#3 of 6 Old 05-19-2008, 07:11 PM

could they be eptein's pearls?

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#4 of 6 Old 05-20-2008, 01:25 AM

Epsteins pearls were the first thing that came to my mind. DD was born with them and they went away on their own sometime within the first couple months.

Becky(40)~ wifey to Keith(43), mama to Z(19), A(15), L(2), and baby Levi 5/19/10, bonus mom to D(18)
#5 of 6 Old 05-20-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

I've not heard of epstein pearls?!! I will look into that. I do plan to ask dr. about it at his next well baby check, but wanted to get some momma's thoughts first

: currently not vaxing. love.gif Wife to awesome DH 10 yrs; Mama to DS1 8/06 and DS2 4/08; ribbonteal.gif for my mom who's 5 yr post, my grama who died of ovarian cancer 31 yrs ago
#6 of 6 Old 05-20-2008, 10:07 PM

My son had one in his ear. It went away after a few months. I forgot about it until reading this thread!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page