How can you tell the difference between a growth spurt and teething? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-21-2008, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My LO just turned 3 months old. Since Sunday, his behavior has been rather strange and erratic and I chalked it up to a growth spurt. But now I'm wondering if he's teething instead. How can you tell? Here's what his behavior has been like recently:

1) Sunday he was breastfeeding all day it seemed like. He wanted to nurse basically every hour. But then Monday and Tuesday he was back to normal - every 2 to 3 hours, except in the evening when he likes to nurse a bit more normally anyway.

2) Sunday night after breastfeeding all day, he slept like a log for 7 1/2 hours!!!! He usually sleeps about 4 to 5 hours. Very rarely does he do longer than that. Than Monday and Tuesday nights, he slept very fitfully. Making lots of grunting and groaning noises and emitting single cries. Monday night he never woke up fully for a feeding and went back to sleeping for 4-5 hours like normal - just fitfully. Tuesday night, he actually did wake up for feedings every two hours which he hasn't done in a very long time.

3) Sometimes, when he's nursing, he'll still cry for a little bit and so I don't know if his mouth is hurting or not - that's why I thought maybe he was teething.

Thanks for any insight y'all might have!
Christine
#2 of 8 Old 05-22-2008, 12:07 PM

we thought adrian was teething at 3 months. in retrospect, i think it was just fussiness or a growth spurt.

the sleeping makes me think it's a growth spurt.

guess my question to you is if it's teething, what would you do? at that age, i didn't do teething gel and he was too little to eat something cold. maybe a cold washcloth you hold for them to chew on? he chewed on our knuckles for a couple months. (his first teeth, the top two, came at 5 months).
#3 of 8 Old 05-22-2008, 01:41 PM

Yeah, I think the thing is that it doesn't really (practically) make much of a difference.

Though I am sure you enjoy speculating! For us teething was lots of drool and hand chomping. Sometimes you could feel the teeth under the gums, too.
#4 of 8 Old 05-22-2008, 03:36 PM

Wait for the teeth to come out

No, seriously, there isn't much to do about it either way, other than comfort and nursing (which is often the same thing ). None of my kids have sprouted teeth until their first birthday, so I generally chalk that stuff up to growth, but it's really hard to tell.
#5 of 8 Old 05-26-2008, 01:58 AM

probably a little of both going on. my ds is 4 months old, and just had a growth spurt AND i feel little bumps of teeth coming thru. they nurse like crazy right before a growth spurt, getting your supply up, and they nurse like crazy when they have itchy gums. who knows until one or the other manifests?!

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
#6 of 8 Old 05-26-2008, 01:10 PM

I wonder about the drool factor. DC is only just 3mo, but her drool could quench a drought! Are some babies just drooly, or is this likely a sign of impending teeth?
#7 of 8 Old 05-26-2008, 02:15 PM
slf

DS is 3 1/2 months old and i'm pretty sure he's teething- really cranky, crying in pain (breaks my heart!) and CHOMPING HARD on any finger that nears his mouth. we thought it was a growth spurt, but the chomping convinced us otherwise

Sandi- firmly attached mama to DS (Feb/08) cautiously expecting #2 09/10
#8 of 8 Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Cole View Post
I wonder about the drool factor. DC is only just 3mo, but her drool could quench a drought! Are some babies just drooly, or is this likely a sign of impending teeth?
i've read that they get so drooly because they don't yet have the ability to swallow their own saliva. not nec. sign of teething...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page