February 08 - 1 Year Ago We Were All Knocked Up!! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 500 Old 06-30-2008, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sarahn4639 great job! LOVE the fabric!

eilonwy ash loves her skwish ball! She also loves playing with the birth bead neclace and I made a charm with beads I had laying around for my neclace that she loves playing with

Can I rant a sec? we walked over to the ils for a quick visit. their tennant came over and my mil said to him, this is our son and grandchild... I was waiting for her to introduce me and she didn´t wasn´t that totally sh!tty of her? I knew she doesnt consider me part of the picture. what is worse is that dh didnt say anything to her or introduce me either i had to do it myself. I am super hurt and if i mention it to dh he will say i just dont like his mom. hmmmm i wonder why
#482 of 500 Old 06-30-2008, 03:51 PM

Lauren, thanks for sharing so personally... it really does help to realise that these issues are more common, each with it's own spin naturally It also sounds like you have a lot on your plate with taking time out from your studies and your DH hating change (I think that maybe this is a male trait as my DH has admitted many times he hates change - it can take me months to convince him to change furniture around, and sometimes it only happens because I do it when he is not at home) and your DH quitting smoking!! Huge to him, it's tough! I'm 2 1/2 years not smoking now and SOOO happy I did it.
What are you studying? I have been thinking of changing my career direction, but just wanting to be a mommy for now :

Eilonwy, Hillel has about 3 toys, a wooden rattle, a soft polka dotted bunny and now his grandmother bought is a wooden and cloth doll thing that squeaks and rattles and is perfect for mouthing (she was concerned about the lack of toys and didn't buy into my telling her that her grandchild is just as happy with rattle, bunny and a burp rag as any of the expensive toys out there I have consistently swapped all the commercial toys we have been given....

Helen Yeah Rachael14Eve (also don't remember numbers and order) is somewhere in Israel, but haven't seen her active for some time on the Israel thread

Sarahn4639 Great job... gotta get my machine serviced and start some projects

Jezzy, I am so sorry to hear about your MIL.... that is just awful and SO rude!! My gosh... I'm taking it this is not the first time something like this has happened... Sorry

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
#483 of 500 Old 06-30-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ema-adama View Post
Anyone else have a baby that really does not like new people/places?? Hillel just gets so freaked out... should I be worried?
my mate was holding linnaea and a friend came over and asked to hold her. so he passed her over and she gave him this LOOK like "what the heck did you do that for?!?" looked at the person holding her and started crying. she's definitely aware of who mama and daddy are

Quote:
Originally Posted by birthmommom View Post
Hey would anyone be interested in a book swap?
i would! we could send them media mail so it would be cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
SO CUTE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo;11573596Robin is at least 16 lbs right now. She has the chunkiest thighs -- she is on the largest setting on her one size diapers!! AT 4 MONTHS!!!!

[URL="http://laurenandbrian.blogspot.com"
Go here for a video and some recent pics.[/URL]
oh how cute! linnaea is now wearing her brother's old fuzzi bunz... they are size LARGE! i'm glad i didn't buy any smalls or mediums just in case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
i'm really excited to see them, i'm sure there are some really great ones! we went to the lady that did my pregnancy pics.

oh my gosh those are beautiful!! i wish i had done some. and i just watched james' birth photos. i started crying those are so sweet.

in new news for me linnaea has started grabbing for everything!! and screeching when she can't shove the entire thing i8n her mouth. yesterday she went after the back of the chair while i was eating dinner

eh. who needs a signature?
#484 of 500 Old 06-30-2008, 07:41 PM

oh jeez, i've been saving up my post for like three days guess i'll have to go back and read ALL OF PAGE 23!! i love you guys!

eh. who needs a signature?
#485 of 500 Old 06-30-2008, 08:22 PM

[QUOTE=sarahn4639;11584515]heather, i just got james a haba toy too. we got the frog thing. i love it but ot was so expensive. i just kept telling myself it will last a very long time and it's a quality toy. i love their things! Also, I'm sorry about the formula. I would have been really upset too but as long as you know you did everything in your power then you can just be thankful it's available when truely needed.]

Eli got a flower shaped Haba and the petals turn around. We almost got the frog!! I'm sorry about the formula too. It is what it is. I know it's not a supply issue cause I feel majorly full when I don't let down well for the pump and Eli is happy on the weekends when he nurses.

We started a bit of cereal because he was very interested in food, grabbing spoons, food, etc... My pedi gave the go ahead to try. If he spit it back out to wait. Eli is 5 1/2 months old so we just shy of the 6 month mark.

OMG!!! He just rolled from his tummy to his back and I missed it!!! More later!!

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#486 of 500 Old 06-30-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hi mamas! Don't have much time but just wanted to say "hi" and let you know that I'm reading along. Hugs and love to all.

flapjack, how in the heck does River play with shells and pinecones without eating them? Do tell!

A happy woman
#487 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 12:17 AM

[QUOTE=Writerbird;11582919My husband and I see eye to eye on a lot of things, but I can see holidays becoming a major problem. My folks live across the country, his giant family (that I love, mind you) lives within two hours of us. When I say that my parents would love to see their grandbaby open presents over the big winter holiday, he says, "Great, they're totally invited to my mom's house." Er... yes, but we have some family traditions TOO! I can't imagine trying to mix that in with vastly different approaches as you must.
[/QUOTE]

yeah, the distance thing is such a big deal. My mom is kind of like your in-laws...she would just prefer if we and all of the rest of DH's family would gather at her house. Too bad that DH's parents have some great traditions, too. To be honest though, she actually is totally understanding, and we have been married long enough that we have an every-other-year pattern that is just sort of accepted now. Hopefully you guys will find some good pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBump View Post
It started happening about a month ago and after a tearful conversation with the LC at our hospital I made the decision to supplement with formula. I really didn't have much of a choice since I could get much of anything to pump out and he has to eat. I cried about for a couple of days as I wanted him to only have breastmilk until we started solids. Felt like I was losing something, but Eli seemed to cares less about what was in the bottle as long as something was there and he still got excited when we would get in position to nurse.
Sounds like an emotional journey. So sorry that it had to be rough, but I'm glad to hear that you have found what is working for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
i did it and i'm darn proud of myself! now off to bed!!
Excellent! And...um...not to sound dumb, but what did you make, exactly? Was it like a sling to wear James in the water or at a pool or something? Or did I totally misunderstand you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ema-adama View Post
I know it will get better, but it is gonna take time - lots of lessons to be learnt by both of us

This MDC really does rock!! Although I think I am gonna be taking a bit of a break as I try to get my life in order a bit... at the moment I jump on the computer whenever I have a spare moment and so am neglecting doing other things that I also enjoy, like working in my garden, cooking, reading, sitting in the park drinking iced coffee.... It's a tough one
I hear what you mean about MDC...it's so addictive to have all you guys as on-line friends and support, but it's also hard to get ANYTHING done when I always tempted to be on the computer!
And it sounds like, even though you have some pretty sizeable obstacles, you and your DH are a good match for each other, and I find that when the partnership is strong, everything else somehow just seems to work itself out in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
While I am feeling peace and love and optimism (mixed with apprehension about quitting school) because I'm so blown away by being a Mom, he is seeing life crumble and feeling very fearful. I am sympathetic to that but also sick of the doom and gloom mentality. Bleh.
Major hugs to you for the in-laws issue and all the things your DH is dealing with. My DH is doing well, but he does have much more anxiety about big changes in our lives than I do. Now that I am a mom, I have so many things to worry about with the kids that I just CAN'T freak out about the rest of it. But, of course, without being a SAHP and without nursing, he is not nearly as connected to them as I am, so he spends much more time worrying about other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
In fun news: Mike taught the kids a new knock knock joke, but they don't quite get it-- it's the interrupting cow joke, but the kids are so knock-knocked that they wait for you to finish saying "interrupting cow who?" before saying "moo!"

*sigh* Bear needs toys.
I LOVE the joke story! I know the joke you are talking about...it's so cute to think of your LO's (almost) telling it. And, as for toys, Molly does like a good old wooden spoon at times. And she has been playing with some balls, and things like that. I wish we were free of plastic. We have much less now than before, but still more than I would like.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
We have some fabric "toys" that are just pieces of cloth with cool patterns and/or textures with bright pieces of ribbon sewn in loops along the edges. One even has something crinkly inside, so it makes noise when it's played with. I would think they would be really easy to make if you're sewing inclined. Fabric stores always have cheap remnants of fabric and ribbons.
Awesome idea!! I have a new project for this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Rynna, ever heard of a treasure basket? The kids would love putting one together for Bear, I reckon. River is playing with sea shells and pine cones and wooden spoons and play silks and all sorts these days.
I LOVE this idea. We'll have to do some treasure hunting around the house tomorrow. I think Ben would get a big kick out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
Can I rant a sec? we walked over to the ils for a quick visit. their tennant came over and my mil said to him, this is our son and grandchild... I was waiting for her to introduce me and she didn´t wasn´t that totally sh!tty of her? I knew she doesnt consider me part of the picture. what is worse is that dh didnt say anything to her or introduce me either i had to do it myself. I am super hurt and if i mention it to dh he will say i just dont like his mom. hmmmm i wonder why
I hate hearing your stories about your IL's. They sound horrid, and I'm so sad that your DH isn't more tuned in and isn't doing a better job being there for you...the mother of his baby...in this situation. Hang in there!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
my mate was holding linnaea and a friend came over and asked to hold her. so he passed her over and she gave him this LOOK like "what the heck did you do that for?!?" looked at the person holding her and started crying. she's definitely aware of who mama and daddy are i
Molly is the same way! Too cute

Quote:
OMG!!! He just rolled from his tummy to his back and I missed it!!! More later!!
Has he rolled again? Did you get to see it?!!

As for us, Molly is doing GREAT in the day, but the last couple of nights have been rough. I just kind of feel like I have NO "good mom" instincts on this issue. I am so sure of what I think should happen for Molly in every other area, but I just don't know how to appropriately meet her needs at night. I don't need her to be independent at night, but I would love if she just woke only to eat a couple of times. She's in the co-sleeper, and she just wakes up SO often every few nights. Some nights are fine, but then there will be several rough ones. I will admit that I am scarred from terrible sleep issues with Ben, so that is why I just feel afraid that each time she has a bad night, I worry that it is the beginning of the "bad" times, and I just feel helpless. Ugh, I'm kind of rambling...probably I should be in bed and getting started on sleep. Good night!
#488 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 01:08 AM

[QUOTE=lovetobemama;11592516]

Has he rolled again? Did you get to see it?!!

QUOTE]

No. We tried putting him on his tummy again to see if he would do it. He just got mad. He and Daddy were outside most of the day so I think all the fresh air made him super sleepy tonight.

I need to try to go back to bed too. A coughing fit started and so I got up to drink some water and wait it out. Been fighting some sinusy stuff.

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#489 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 01:13 AM

wow mamas..i swear it is hard to keep up...I like other mamas here are addicted and I am trying to do other things. plus looking for work i may be MIA soon.

I wanted to share that I joined milk share on Yahoo, and donated some milk today...about 50 oz...to a gay couple, male, who are adopting a baby who is going to be born on Wed :

So henry is soooo grabby...today he totally tried to steal my spoon of frosting, and my glass...as I was drinking out of it! and he tried to eat the keyboard.
to funny.

I hate to say that he has been a nightmare the last few days, dh adn my bf think it is a growth spurt. Idk...he has not been sleeping well at al..worse than normal. waking ever hour or so crying and whining...loudly. crying so hard at nap time. He doesn't seem to want to play alone anymore...our apt is so small I can only walk in circles. he doesn't watn me to sit...I walked a few times today with him...luckily there was a nice breeze.

I love my babies...but I think i need a high needs child support group!

in other news...I have a plugged duct and it HURTS! feels so bruised. I have been nursing still on that side,and took a hot shower, any other ideas?

henry has some toys, but not a lot. i want to get a skwish...be has 2 wooden toys and i have some crinkle paper i want to sew into a peice of fabric...he relaly likes it but tries to eat it.

well I am gonna run...tired and not typing well..
will catch up tomorrow.

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
#490 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 05:17 AM

Allyn. I think I've heard lecithin works for plugged ducts?

Operamommy, I'm somewhat lax about trying to stop babies from putting things in their mouths now. Dog poo and old food gets removed from the vicinity, but anything else is fair game: . Anything that isn't a choking hazard but could be if something came off (like said pinecone) is to be used only when sitting right next to me.
My mission for the weekend is crocheted mushrooms, though.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#491 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 05:36 AM

Allyn, I have had a few plugged ducts lately a lot. Last time it was a milk blister Yikes that hurt too.

Helen is right lecithin seems to help. I also nursed a lot with Ashlee laying down with me leaning over her. That is how I cleared it twice. Make sure the breast is nice and warm before nursing then I massaged while she nursed.

Sorry mama, I know how bad that they hurt.
#492 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 06:21 AM

It's 5:20 in the morning. I shouldn't be awake, but I am. I'm going to sleep now, though. And in case i don't manage to log on "tomorrow," i'm off to Drum & Splash; Have a good week, everyone.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#493 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 07:06 AM

My goodness, this thread has become the queen thread of personals! Y'all are on it! I, however, am going to fall flat in the personals area. Please don't think that I'm not reading - I am!

Rynna, Drum & Splash? I'm intrigued. Is that like, a...thing? Or are you going to do drumming and splashing this weekend, two separate activities? Hm. Or - ah. This, perhaps.

Several of you have mentioned struggles with in-laws, and differing approaches to family. For holidays, I've often wondered when the right time is to start our own holiday traditions? Last year we made everyone come to us since i was mondo-preggers and figured, "if not now, when?" However, we are otherwise on an every-other-year schedule for Christmas, and we stay put for Thanksgiving and invite whomsoever wishes to join us. DH & I definitely have different levels of connection with family, but mine are 6 hrs away by car & his are 2.5 hours by plane, so no one is close. I have to say, we find ourselves wishing more often that we did have family nearby, with the wee one in the picture!

I'm envious of all you sewing mamas. I don't know how you find the time; it's so great that you can make toys, clothes, CDs, so many things for your babes!

Ema-adama - congrats on being 2.5 years smoke-free, that's huge! And Lauren, props to your DH as well, hope he keeps it up!

Birthmommom, my LO has also been extremely difficult for the last 36-48 hours or so. Last night is actually the best she's slept in well over a month - 5 hours, then 4 hours. Yesterday, however, she cried most of the day, and only slept about 1.5 hours the entire day (2 naps). Night before, crappy sleep. THhis morning, she woke up around 5 crying and crying.

She hasn't been wanting to nurse - quite the opposite. When I bring her to my breast, she starts screaming. The past 3 times, the only thing that has gotten her to eat has been expressing a teeny bit of milk and rubbing it on her lips; she then thinks, "Oh, right, MILK!" and eats fine. She definitely did not eat as much as usual yesterday. Pooping, peeing - all normal.

But man, other than that it's arching and crying, very frustrating. She'll take a bottle fine, of course, but I'm not encouraging us to go that route all day!

And crying, crying, crying. It sounds more like "I'm in discomfort" crying - I think she has some gas, but am also wondering if she might be working on a tooth? If she's this fussy, would there be some evidence of a tooth? She had a very, very slightly elevated temperature yesterday, but that could have been b/c she was so worked up most of the day.

Sigh. This too, shall pass.

Oh, and DH and I have been disagreeing over our "strategy" for transitioning her to the crib. We both agree that we just need to do it all at once (as soon as our dratted bumper shows up) - no move-the-crib-into-our-room. I've been better about getting her to stay in the co-sleeper for more of the night. But DH wants to let her CIO, which I am vehemently against. I take the softer, gentler approach (similar to No-Cry Sleep Solution). He thinks that, if we go in and pick her up every time she cries, that we're "giving in" to her, and not teaching her to self-comfort.

I've "won" round one, but it's so unpleasant to be on such different pages.
#494 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 07:26 AM

Sounds like maybe a tooth. Check her gums. Any bumps, redness, etc... Eli's first tooth came in without a fuss, his second he was fussier, didn't sleep great, and his gums showed everything.

Eli didn't sleep well last night. Restless. He starts out in his crib but always ends up in our bed. Really it because I go with the intentions of getting im settled back into sleep and I'm so sleepy myself that rather than tired to stand and rock him, I take him to our room so I lay down with him. I never manage to stay awake to take him back to his room. I really should move my rocker into his room.

#495 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Really it because I go with the intentions of getting im settled back into sleep and I'm so sleepy myself that rather than tired to stand and rock him, I take him to our room so I lay down with him. I never manage to stay awake to take him back to his room. I really should move my rocker into his room.
:

As soon as the bumper arrives (please, please let it be today!), the rocker & DD are going into her room...along with a futon on the floor so that I can pass out there once she is asleep in her crib. Good theory, eh??
#496 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 09:36 AM

*yawn*

I cursed myself describing EG's sleep patterns. The last two nights, he's been fretful from 1-5. He's got a bit of a stuffy head, he's drooling like crazy, he nurses frantically for a minute, then dozes for five, then nurses frantically, etc. Towards the end of this four hour period he will conk out if I am careful to give him his own space, but then 6:30 comes and the farting startles him awake. If he rolls onto his stomach the gas passes, but he doesn't seem to have made the connection that being on the belly makes the pain stop.

I don't feel any lumps on his gums, but he gnaws his fists, his washcloths, and whatever dangly toys on his gym that he can reach. I'm excited that he's moving into a new stage, but I could have used another week in the last stage to get caught up on my shut eye time.

Mama to EG, Mate to MD, Writer, Editor, International Jewel Thief.
#497 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 09:46 AM

Holy moly, it's July, y'all. The new thread is here:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=924407

#498 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 AM

Awww, thanks, Helen. I think you're pretty swell, too.

Lauren, I'm sorry you're going through a rough patch with your dh. We're just coming out of one of those, so I feel for ya.

Sharun, that must have been very hurtful. I'd like to kick that woman.

Allyn, ditto to what others have said on lecithin and nursing while hovering over baby. Also, try stuffing an old sock with rice and heating it. It makes a nice moist heat compress. Hope it clears soon.

I had a killer headache yesterday, so I didn't do anything other than what really needed to get done- basically just fed everyone. So I'll be spending the day cleaning and doing dishes. Whoopie.
#499 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 09:53 AM

July thread here.

Applecore, sorry you were feeling poorly. I hope you feel better soon :

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#500 of 500 Old 07-01-2008, 09:58 AM

Hey, scroll up, I started one already

I guess July is going to be "sleep deprivation month."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page