February 08 - 1 Year Ago We Were All Knocked Up!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
smokeylo - Saying a prayer for you! :

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#182 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 09:11 AM

A multiquote button?! I'm going to be dangerous. Thanks for pointing it out to us Though I too usually only read the last two pages after we get to 5+!

EG loves to stand on his daddy's lap, but is totally uninterested at any other time. Oh, well, my mate is thrilled to have so many "daddy only" things. I love watching them together.

Thinking good thoughts for you, Lauren. Please let us know if everything ends well for your home and kitties.

Mama to EG, Mate to MD, Writer, Editor, International Jewel Thief.
#183 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 12:45 PM

smokeylo - keeping all of you in my prayers.

drum roll please - Alex rode in the rumble seat on my Phil&Teds the whole trip to Trader Joe's this morning! It's a little more than a mile one way and I usually wear him. I am so happy - this is the first time we've done this trip that I don't feel wiped out, we may even hit the park before it gets too hot.

Alex is definitely normal - he loves to stand but only while we are holding his hands, he can roll but usually doesn't (frankly he's almost never out of arms so there isn't much chance), and he is only making typical, unintelligible baby squeals. He's a little in the tall side - pushing 25" at 4.5 mos, but definitely petite on weight - just shy of 14lbs.

A question for all of you - do any of your lo's sweat as they fall asleep? Ever since the weather turned a week or two ago, Alex sweats tremendously from his head - doesn't matter if AC or not, or swaddled. He actually leaves a wet mark on whatever he's sleeping on. I sweat in my sleep as does my father, so I'm not too worried but I was just curious.
#184 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 01:27 PM

Oh, I've missed the February ladies! Sorta got sucked into babyland ... but it's wonderful to be reading everyone's updates, and baby milestones .. rolling and standing and kicking and pinching .. it's all sounding very familiar! Except for the standing. Z has no interest.. probably cos she's got too much junk in her 16+lb trunk.

ooh, milk breath! i should have known it wasn't just me being weird. i better huff it as much as possible before she starts showing interest in food. thankfully not even close at 4+months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nausicaamom View Post
A question for all of you - do any of your lo's sweat as they fall asleep? Ever since the weather turned a week or two ago, Alex sweats tremendously from his head - doesn't matter if AC or not, or swaddled. He actually leaves a wet mark on whatever he's sleeping on.
YES .. .! Z is a sweatball. She soaks through her Amby mattress.. normal? Is she too hot?? I worry about that with this heat. Especially because she will not sleep without being swaddled. How do you break your baby's whack herself in the face / scratch the ears / wake up herself up habit?? Hopefully it's just a phase...

okay, back to reading everyone's posts and catching up. I'm SO behind.
#185 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 01:38 PM

River can't stand whilst holding hands, actually. I tried him this morning, but I'm not worrying yet- there's a heck of a lot of baby for his little legs to support.
Jezzy Thankyou! He is scrumptious, isn't he?
And Jenn, there is a reason that he's generally known as Moist around here and it has little to do with Pratchett, more to do with an excess of bodily fluid from every SINGLE available orifice, including pores Skye is also hugely sweaty (glows a lot, maybe? sounds more ladylike). It is making me think that Alex would be an excellent candidate for homeopathy though, if you ever decided to go down that route to try and help his reflux. River quite likes the rumble seat too, btw- it's a pain going downhill but he's really too little for a back carry still, I think, but too heavy for my front.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#186 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 01:51 PM

Flooding freaks me out... So scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxinsmom View Post
I second the bean dip strategy, but keep in mind that all babies/kids are naturally bowlegged until they're three (ish) or until their bones are better developed and they're walking a lot. Also as our midwife told us -- babies won't do anything that 'hurts' so if it doesn't feel good, they won't do it.

Quote:
So, I've finally made the switch.

Not to cloth diapers, but biodegradable gdiapers. Anyone else using these. My biggest issue with cloth has been the washing (I HATE doing laundry and mange to only have to do it once a week, the thought of every day, or every other for cloth diapers was enough to send me back to sposies) But these rock!
Do they actually flush? I am so interested in trying these. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the cloth, but they can be SO much work and nobody else wants to use them, so we end up taking paper diapers places... and we end up bringing them home with us as well (SO gross... but not nearly as heavy nor as icky as bringing home dirty cloth diapers). If we could flush away the peepees and peepees yuck, the problem would be eliminated. How do they compare, expense-wise, to sposies for you? Also, do you think they'd flush down an ultra low-flow toilet? How many covers do you have, and how often do you change them? What colors/patterns do they come in? How much did/do you pay for them, and for the liners? (They sell them at Wegmans, I'd like to know how the price compares to wherever you got yours from.) More info, please! I've never met anyone who used them, but I've read very mixed reviews.

Quote:
Anyone else's LO ... not so 'babyish' anymore??? Nellah seems to have changed so much in the last week -- really alert and laughing, reacting and just so much more like a little girl than a baby.
I've only had one infant beyond 2 months. : Bear is still a baby, but he's no longer an infant, if that makes sense. So I'm used to it, but it's still bittersweet. Bellatrix LeBella managed to be a baby until she was like, fourteen months old. In fact, she's 27 months old now and she's still a toddler (another miracle ). I already miss the extra babiness stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
Anyone elses baby getting REALLY interested in food? Ash is starting to open her mouth like a little bird when I am eating or drinking. (she even grabbed my spoon while I was eating joghurt!) When I am drinking water I will give her a little sip she loves it but can't swollow the water most of it comes back out. I don't think that this can harm her she is just practicing. She thinks it is the greatest though!
Bear does like to check things out with his mouth, but thankfully he's not remotely interested in eating. It's a good thing, because even if I was inclined to feed my babes so young (and I'm not), Bear's PGE specifically advised that we not start solids until he's six months old. He's had some pedialyte, though, because he got the poops and became very dehydrated, poor little man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writerbird View Post
EG loves to stand on his daddy's lap, but is totally uninterested at any other time. Oh, well, my mate is thrilled to have so many "daddy only" things. I love watching them together.
It's interesting, this comes up every time the "Is gender based on nature or nurture?" debate starts. Babies who are perceived to be boys are supposedly held upright more often, while babies who are perceive to be girls are more often held in the cradle position. They've done studies on this-- they have the same baby, dressed in pink and dressed in blue, and it's definately true. The trouble is, it assumes quite a few things (that, and people love to apply the statistics to individuals, which pisses me off something fierce)-- first off, that the baby is entirely passive for the entire exercise. It doesn't occur to anyone that some babies prefer to be held in a cradle position, while others prefer to be held upright... and that the baby's response might reinforce the parent's and vice-versa. Bear loves to be held upright-- if I cradle him, he will grab my shirt and squeeze his squishy little belly muscles and pull himself into an upright position. Paying attention to his cues, I tend to hold him more often in an upright position, rather than forcing him to strain. (Please note that it's by no means 100%. Of course sometimes he wants a snuggle! ) The point is, I don't hold him upright because he's a boy-- I hold him upright because he wants to be held that way.

BooBah is a girl, and she did the same thing (only younger ). And likewise, I held her upright. Bella preferred to be cradled, and Bean was about 50/50 (he just wanted to be near my boobs ).

Just as the babies have opinions, so they have opinions about their parents. Fathers respond differently than mothers, and a baby who might like mother's cradling might prefer father for standing up, and vice-versa. It's a fan-freaking-tastic thing, that babies are so perceptive about the people they're with... and that they are so able to let us know what they want from us, as individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nausicaamom View Post
A question for all of you - do any of your lo's sweat as they fall asleep? Ever since the weather turned a week or two ago, Alex sweats tremendously from his head - doesn't matter if AC or not, or swaddled. He actually leaves a wet mark on whatever he's sleeping on. I sweat in my sleep as does my father, so I'm not too worried but I was just curious.
No sweating babies here. Although Bean refuses to wear anything but underpants to sleep (and has for some time) because "I don't like to sweat in bed." And BooBah is often sweaty in bed, but she wears fleece pajamas even when it's a zillion degrees (as it has been of late). Bear and Bella sweat pretty typically, I think.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#187 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 03:21 PM

I just have to say that I love this time of year, and that I feel so awesome today! My linden tree is flowering, and I gathered as many blossoms as I could reach yesterday. I made an infused coconut oil, started a tinture, and am drying the rest for tea. Then I strained the herbal vinegar I've been infusing for 6 weeks- dandelion and ramps. I shook some up with oil, and used it on our salad with all the greens we got from our CSA. And now as I sip at my iced black raspberry leaf tea from leaves I gathered, I can say that I am feeling incredibly VITAL. : I'm just beginning to work with wild edibles and medicinals, and it is so rewarding.

Lauren, I'll be thinking about you, and hoping you'll be able to return home soon.

So Twyla has a funky toenail. It curls downward, and has actually grown into her toe before. I'm watching it everyday and getting my fingernail under it and pulling it up slightly because it just keeps trying to grow into her toe. Any suggestions?
#188 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 04:49 PM

Applecore, my DS's pinky toenails used to do this too (and probably still would if I didn't watch it). I just do all the things you suggested. I make sure to trim them right after a bath, because the nail is nice and soft, and I can make sure that I get all of the growth trimmed before it starts getting tricky.

Lauren...thinking of you!

Sarah, thanks for thinking of the milestone thing! She is very close to rolling, so maybe that is it. Also, just in the past few days, her days have regulated quite a bit, so maybe that is part of it too. Hope you are staying dry! My in-laws from Davenport are headed here this weekend, they are praying for a drive safe from thunderstorms and tornados! *Praying for the Iowa scouts and their friends and families* So heartbreaking!!

Helen or anyone else, do you have any good info on why a woman might go ahead and have a period but only be 12 weeks out from birth while breastfeeding 24/7 and is probably not yet ovulating? Is that just normal sometimes as the body gets back into gear? FYI, I am just now finishing my 2nd "period". This is the one that started this week at 15 weeks post delivery. I guess I am assuming that this can just happen sometimes as the body recovers from pregnancy, but is there any reason I should be concerned about these "periods"? This didn't happen after DS was born, btw.

Rynna, I love hearing all the stats and descriptions from your kids. It helps to put any little milestone (or missing any little milestone) in perspective...it really is true that each kid is their own person and will develop in their own way. I like the point about kiddos either liking to stand or not liking to stand!

Molly's sleep was better last night. She only nursed at 8, midnight, 4 and then 6 for the morning. There is still an extra feeding in there from where we had been a few weeks ago, but at least we have stopped the 2-hour feed where we were earlier in the week!
#189 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 05:28 PM

wow 2 more pages since i was last on...

I will just update...I decided that I could not keep something like going on WIC from dh.
but my friend sent me a website for Angel food ministries. DH is totally ok with that so we are getting a box of food on the 21st and i am sure i can make that last a month.
and i found a health insurance plan for just ds for $72 a month, so we are buying that.

So for now things are looking up.

thank for the support.

now to go read.

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
#190 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 05:34 PM

Yes he is scrumptious Helen!

Who was talking about how expensive gas is? I just filled up my tank 60 liters (15.83 gallons ) for 93 freakin euro that´is about 140 dollars! 9.333 bucks a gallon! I couldn't believe it. I hate germany :

Helen. how are the gas prices in england?
#191 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Yes he is scrumptious Helen!

Who was talking about how expensive gas is? I just filled up my tank 60 liters (15.83 gallons ) for 93 freakin euro that´is about 140 dollars! 9.333 bucks a gallon! I couldn't believe it. I hate germany :

Oh, about 1.16GBP per litre . That's about 1.5 Euros, 2.25 USDs. Does Germany have heavy fuel duty as well, then?

Emily, sorry, I have no idea why our bodies behave as they do. Anecdotally I think menstruation seems to return earlier with subsequent babies, but other than that : I'd be tempted to whip a thermometer out to see if you're ovulating because I'm geeky like that.
Applecore, your life sounds so blessed! I'm going out to harvest elderflowers tomorrow, and rustle up a batch or two of elderflower champagne and cordial.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#192 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 06:54 PM

Hey mamas! Its so good to read this thread finally! My dp has taken over my computer since he started playing World of Warcraft again so it has taken me forever to catch up. It's great to hear about whats going on with all of you and the babies!

Smokeylo, I hope your cats are ok and you're able to get home soon. What a stressful situation! I'm glad your family is safe.

Allyn, don't feel bad about the WIC and medicaid thing. Both my boys are on Peachcare if it makes you feel better and I've been on WIC before too.

Jezzy 9.33 dollars a gallon for gas!!!!???!!!! And I thought we had it rough at $4.10! It's so hot here (over 90 degrees) that we don't get out of the house anyway for more than a few hours in the early morning and late evening anyway and thats just to play in the backyard. I always dread spending money on gas just to make it to the grocery store!

Applecore, I loved reading about your herbal vinegar and other medicinals! I've been reading a lot of Susan Weed's books and I am itching to start making some things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post

Umm, do I have the only average babe in our ddc? The boy ain't standing, talking, crawling, or doing much of anything but batting at toys!
nope- same here! Grant rolled over when he was a month old but hasn't rolled even once since then and he hates tummy time so nope no crawling. He can't support his weight but does like to "bounce" on our legs when we hold him. He coos and cackles but only says "hey" and "a goo." His claim to fame is just that he's a GIANT!!! I haven't weighed or measured him recently but I know he's over 20 pounds and is so long that 24 month old clothes barely snap without cutting his crotch in two.

That and his stinky farts... Anyone else have an EBF baby whose farts smell like rotten eggs??? My first son always just smelled like butter so I don't know what to think. I gave him some probiotics but he still stinks.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

rainbow1284.gif Domestic Violence Children's Advocate and Counselor hug2.gif

homebirth.jpg bf.jpg nocirc.gif ribbonjigsaw.gif 

#193 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Do they actually flush? I am so interested in trying these. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the cloth, but they can be SO much work and nobody else wants to use them, so we end up taking paper diapers places... and we end up bringing them home with us as well (SO gross... but not nearly as heavy nor as icky as bringing home dirty cloth diapers). If we could flush away the peepees and peepees yuck, the problem would be eliminated. How do they compare, expense-wise, to sposies for you? Also, do you think they'd flush down an ultra low-flow toilet? How many covers do you have, and how often do you change them? What colors/patterns do they come in? How much did/do you pay for them, and for the liners? (They sell them at Wegmans, I'd like to know how the price compares to wherever you got yours from.) More info, please! I've never met anyone who used them, but I've read very mixed reviews.

So, I haven't flushed one yet -- just composted for the last 3 days and threw one in the garbage this afternoon. They give you this stir-stick type thing to break up the flushable cotton. Helen, I agree about the waterway thing, and will probably only composte/throw them out.
I have two covers and that seems to be fine (four liners) what I do is when I change Nellah I take away the soiled diaper and replace it with the other one that's loaded with an insert. Then I put her down and take the instert of the soiled diaper out and dump it in the composte bin, then I replace it with a fresh insert. So far no leaks so I've not needed to wash the liner/covers. Price wise it's still more expensive than disposables, but since we're getting more gvt money than expected with her I've decided to make the investment. Also, she only soils 3 MAYBE 4 diapers in a 24 hour period, so that helps.
One bag of inserts is $20 and that's for 32. That's buying from the Natural food store down the street; however if I order off the gdiapers website it's considerably cheaper but I get killed on the international shipping -- ($40 to send to Canada! but the inserts are $52 for a 4 pack of 32 inserts each, so a total of 128 inserts...still following? ) So, I'm just going to put in a big order and get it discounded that way.
I bought the starter kit which came with the two covers, four liners and 10 inserts for $38. I will probably buy another cover along the way (they're $18) but I don't see a need for it right now.
So far so good
HTH.
#194 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 08:43 PM

I wonder if I can compost those when Bear is on Neocate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetobemama View Post
Helen or anyone else, do you have any good info on why a woman might go ahead and have a period but only be 12 weeks out from birth while breastfeeding 24/7 and is probably not yet ovulating? Is that just normal sometimes as the body gets back into gear? FYI, I am just now finishing my 2nd "period". This is the one that started this week at 15 weeks post delivery. I guess I am assuming that this can just happen sometimes as the body recovers from pregnancy, but is there any reason I should be concerned about these "periods"? This didn't happen after DS was born, btw.
I'd be willing to bet that you're ovulating; Rather, if you're counting on lactational amenorrhea as birth control, I'd reconsider. Because, you know, amenorrhea means you're not getting your period. It's entirely normal to get your period back soon, even nursing round the clock and sharing sleep and practicing what they call "ecological breastfeeding." I've done it like, three times. BooBah was my strongest, easiest nurser *and* I was nursing BeanBean (who took like, easily thrice as much, he *always* nursed more than she did) and I got my period at like, four months postpartum and was totally ovulating by then, too. :

Quote:
Rynna, I love hearing all the stats and descriptions from your kids. It helps to put any little milestone (or missing any little milestone) in perspective...it really is true that each kid is their own person and will develop in their own way. I like the point about kiddos either liking to stand or not liking to stand!
It's kind of fun, having a relatively large and diverse group to draw from.

Quote:

Thank you, and thank you Helen, for putting the gas crisis in perspective for those of us who are spoiled Americans. The price of gas makes me want to go postal on Congress, but I suppose I should be greatful that I don't live overseas. Then again, if I *did* live overseas, my driving habits would be different, and perhaps Mike would have had a job sooner and... and... and... :

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveChild421 View Post
That and his stinky farts... Anyone else have an EBF baby whose farts smell like rotten eggs??? My first son always just smelled like butter so I don't know what to think. I gave him some probiotics but he still stinks.
My EBF babies only had stinky farts when they were sick.

#195 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
as far as remembering posts. i either multi quote like the previous post and rynna said or i go to the post page and scroll down to the messages there and respond as i read them.

and crap, beandip DOES sound good!

okay, i will try multi-quote next but would you believe i NEVER noticed that it pulls up all those messages when you hit reply?!? how awesome is that!

eh. who needs a signature?
#196 of 500 Old 06-13-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:

My EBF babies only had stinky farts when they were sick.
Makes sense...its so strange, Grant seems totally healthy and happy...maybe its all the curry I've been eating? I kinda smell the same way.

Jen read.gif Mama of 2 precious boys blowkiss.gif (9)  flowersforyou.gif (6)  and still in heartbeat.gif with my Matt hat.gif after 12 years together. 

#197 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 12:21 AM

boy is holding baby...must type fast try and guess if it's not spelled write cause i don't have time to fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
:
PLEASE PRAY that we can get back into our house soon. This is DISASTROUS AND HORRIBLE.
oh you poor mama! i'm hope your kitties are okay!

Quote:
Umm, do I have the only average babe in our ddc? The boy ain't standing, talking, crawling, or doing much of anything but batting at toys!
totally average here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
, including pores Skye is also hugely sweaty (glows a lot, maybe? sounds more ladylike).
also a sweat bucket here. i love the term glows though. much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
I just have to say that I love this time of year, and that I feel so awesome today! My linden tree is flowering, and I gathered as many blossoms as I could reach yesterday.

I can say that I am feeling incredibly VITAL. : I'm just beginning to work with wild edibles and medicinals, and it is so rewarding.
you are awesome!! i'm just a baby herbalist.. so cool. do you sell your mama made stuff? maybe i could run a co-op on it

okay, i LOVE3 multi quote must go baby crying..

eh. who needs a signature?
#198 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

: There are some new pictures of Peter in my blog if anyone's interested. Some are at the beginning and some at the end.

applecore, I totally wanna come live with you and hang out while you bring me homemade herbal tea! I'd love to learn more about herbals. I actually have a huge lemon balm plant in my garden but I'm too intimidated to do anything with it!

All the diaper talk has reminded me...hooray!! I've got Peter back in his cloth diapers. Looks like 7th Generation laundry detergent did the trick. I'm still using a sposie at night though; I'm not sure if his skin can take cloth overnight. jaxinsmom, I soooo hear you on the cloth diaper laundry. We have to wash every day since both of the younger boys are in diapers. Add on top of that the regular laundry for a family of 6, and it ain't pretty.

birthmommom, soooo glad that things are looking up for you.

GreenRose, good to see you!

Anyone heard from NOS lately?

Oh, and I think I'm certifiably nuts. I've been thinking that 5 is a really good number.

A happy woman
#199 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:

Thank you, and thank you Helen, for putting the gas crisis in perspective for those of us who are spoiled Americans. The price of gas makes me want to go postal on Congress, but I suppose I should be greatful that I don't live overseas. Then again, if I *did* live overseas, my driving habits would be different, and perhaps Mike would have had a job sooner and... and... and... :

Something like 70% of the cost of a litre of petrol goes to the government in taxes. At the same time, we do have a simple and uncomplicated bus service which is affordable, and everything is close enough to walk. It drives me nuts when I see people driving their kids to school- we have one mother who lives literally two streets from the school- a ten minute walk, maybe fifteen minutes at toddler pace? She's always parked in front of the school half an hour early so she can get a space : That's one thing the petrol prices have done, we are being much better about walking when we can.
Operamommy, my lemon balm survived the building work I'm planning on drying some and blending it with (bought) lavender for scent bags for hot water bottles for christmas, and goodness knows what else. I have a recipe for a liqueur with lemon balm, brandy and various aromatics which I might try, but I'm not really a drinking kind of girl.
Oh, and yes, I know what you mean about five. In my most insane moments, we start talking about quiverful :

#200 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 04:41 AM

what is heavy fuel duty Helen?

anyone know if a reoccuring clogged duct is normal? I have my 3rd one in the left breast:
#201 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveChild421 View Post
Applecore, I loved reading about your herbal vinegar and other medicinals! I've been reading a lot of Susan Weed's books and I am itching to start making some things!
I'm taking a four week herbs class with one of my best friends who is an herbalist. She apprenticed with Susun Weed in the Wise Woman Tradition. It's really empowering stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
you are awesome!! i'm just a baby herbalist.. so cool. do you sell your mama made stuff? maybe i could run a co-op on it
Dude, I'm a total noob, I just had a really great day! I just craft for my family for the most part.

Quote:
applecore, I totally wanna come live with you and hang out while you bring me homemade herbal tea! I'd love to learn more about herbals. I actually have a huge lemon balm plant in my garden but I'm too intimidated to do anything with it!
C'mon over! I just made some lemon balm lip balm at herb class. You could just infuse it in oil in the crockpot on low for a day or so, then add a little bit of beeswax and pour into containers. It's specific for cold sores as well as just being really nice on the skin.

Quote:
anyone know if a reoccuring clogged duct is normal? I have my 3rd one in the left breast:
Do you carry a purse over that shoulder? A sling maybe? Lecithin can help if taken regularly. Sorry you're dealing with that! I don't think I've ever had a plugged duct that didn't immediately become mastitis. : I know I'm a broken record about this, but if it does develop into an infection- homeopathic phytolacca decandra!

That was my first time using the multiquote function, too! Wow, that is much easier than remembering everything I want to say!
#202 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 10:43 AM

Jezzy, heavy fuel duty = an obscene amount of the price of a litre of petrol going on tax.
Applecore, I'm going to try that lip balm I've just recently (last 2-3 years) started getting cold sores, so it's worth a try, right?

#203 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 11:25 AM

Quick update...

DH hiked through the woods behind our house to rescue the cats. The flooding near us is really bad. This was our last chance to get to them, maybe for weeks. He really saved their lives. They're staying with a friend in town now. We probably won't be able to go home for many weeks. A friend has been making calls to try and find us a place to stay semi-permanently.

So, we are ok, the cats are ok.

Internet may be spotty for us so pm me if you want to get in touch.

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#204 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
At the same time, we do have a simple and uncomplicated bus service which is affordable, and everything is close enough to walk. It drives me nuts when I see people driving their kids to school- we have one mother who lives literally two streets from the school- a ten minute walk, maybe fifteen minutes at toddler pace? She's always parked in front of the school half an hour early so she can get a space : That's one thing the petrol prices have done, we are being much better about walking when we can.
Urgh. We have almost no bus service in Carlisle, and everything is far away. In Lancaster, things would be different for certain... such a PITA, all of it.

Quote:
Oh, and yes, I know what you mean about five. In my most insane moments, we start talking about quiverful :
I've had such thoughts as well. Once I managed to explain it to myself, I came to my senses. That said, I must still remain vigilant, and I can tell when I'm about to ovulate because not only do I become more libidinous, but I start thinking "quiverfull" thoughts again. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
I'm taking a four week herbs class with one of my best friends who is an herbalist. She apprenticed with Susun Weed in the Wise Woman Tradition. It's really empowering stuff!
I'm so unbelievably jealous. I need to buy that books. I desperately want to grow herbs and things... but of course, we have no sun in our backyard and we were supposed to be moving. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
Quick update...

DH hiked through the woods behind our house to rescue the cats. The flooding near us is really bad. This was our last chance to get to them, maybe for weeks. He really saved their lives. They're staying with a friend in town now. We probably won't be able to go home for many weeks. A friend has been making calls to try and find us a place to stay semi-permanently.

So, we are ok, the cats are ok.

Internet may be spotty for us so pm me if you want to get in touch.
Thinking dry and safe thoughts for you & yours. :

#205 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I'm so unbelievably jealous. I need to buy that books. I desperately want to grow herbs and things... but of course, we have no sun in our backyard and we were supposed to be moving. :
wildcrafting? aka free food?

Lauren, I'll keep praying for you, but I'm glad the cats are safe.

#206 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 04:10 PM

Lauren I'm so glad your DH was able to get the cats! I was watching news footage of the flooding last night and it looks awful.

#207 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 05:00 PM

Yes Helen the most goes to taxes!

applecore I carry the sling on the other side, I do often though carry Ash in my arms on that side, maybe that is what is causing it. It is gone again I really am always afraid that it won't go away and that it will turn into an infection.
#208 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
wildcrafting? aka free food?
Right on! It's amazing how many things that people think are junk are really yummy, healthy, organic alternatives! We just had pasta with pesto made from lamb's quarters (a very abundant weed) for lunch today.
#209 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 08:30 PM

Just a very quick update (and blatant beg for a few virtual hugs) that ds1 is gone again.:

I am so grateful that I had this last 10 months with him, however, and that I was able to spend the first four (almost five) months of Terran's life with all of my kids under the same roof as a coherant albeit extremely nontraditional family unit.

ds2 has been such a comfort and a delight since his brother left and I've been trying to stay busy to keep my mind off my problems.
#210 of 500 Old 06-14-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
Just a very quick update (and blatant beg for a few virtual hugs) that ds1 is gone again.:

I am so grateful that I had this last 10 months with him, however, and that I was able to spend the first four (almost five) months of Terran's life with all of my kids under the same roof as a coherant albeit extremely nontraditional family unit.

ds2 has been such a comfort and a delight since his brother left and I've been trying to stay busy to keep my mind off my problems.

My Bayleigh stayed gone from age 13-15 off and on... I was constantly worried about her. She's mellowed with "age" and having her own LO though. For that, I am thankful. She's an absolute joy now. Hang in there NOS, I know it's hard but love your other babies a little extra! (not that I have to tell you that )

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page