Mothering Forum banner

June 2007 Moms ~ Happy Birthday June-babes!

6K views 236 replies 25 participants last post by  wombatclay 
#1 ·
Now the first birthday parties will start in earnest. Happy Birthday this month to all of our blossoming toddlers.
:

May all kinds of blessings come to each and every little one this month and always, and may every mama be well-rested, well-loved, and well-respected by her brood.

--willo

See less See more
#4 ·
HOLY CRAP!!!! Wasn't he just INSIDE of me like, yesterday?????? His first year just flew by. What a lovely 11 months it has been thus far! What a wonderful blissful zen baby he has been.
Seems he will be walking before I know it! Has stood up a ahandful of times unassisted for a few seconds. He never does get enough time on his own two feet anyway though, as his brothers lug him around everywhere with them! Hard to believe he is going to be a big brother!

#8 ·
Willow's birthday is today!

We had her party yesterday and it was great fun, albeit a little hectic and overwhelming.

The birthday girl
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...om/b-day01.jpg

Her first taste of cake...organic carrot cake that I made, but probably totally negated when I took to the bakery to be decorated by a professional.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...om/b-day06.jpg

The aftermath...of course, I bought the play silks. Everyone else bought the plastic stuff. LOL
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...om/b-day14.jpg

#9 ·
: babies!! I also can't believe it's been a year! Wow! Everyone's little ones are so cute!! I'll have to take some new pictures of Lulu. She's also getting closer to walking, but I think she's still focusing on picking up new words instead. She's soooo chatty these days!! Now if only she would decide to work on learning to sttn.
Anyone have a good first birthday cake recipe? TIA!

#10 ·
Finley's b-day is on the 25th. It is so bittersweet isn't it? I just can't believe it. For those who choose to do cake you may want to head over to the allergy boards (my main hang out) because there are lots of good, healthy ideas floating around.

#11 ·
I can't believe my LO will be one this month. GAH! Where did the time go? I suppose it's time to make another! LOL.

Anyone got any websites with good birthday supplies? I suppose I should buy some shortly...

Or any thoughts on alternative to the classic birthday cake thing?

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cersha View Post
Or any thoughts on alternative to the classic birthday cake thing?
You mean an alternative to the store bought/bakery bought, processed sugar cake? Or an alternative to the cake-concept?

My best friend did a tier of cupcakes with Avery's monogram on it...and then, Ave was able to dig into a little cupcake.

I did the smash cake...for the first time (of 3 kids) and honestly, it was a waste of money. She did enjoy mushing around in the icing, but she never even got anything but a handful of the cake and then got bored with it. The cake was almost entirely in tact when she was done, and my husband threw it away!

#15 ·
Very happy birthday to Tijn and Willow!!! Hugs to both of you mamas, this first birthday is so bittersweet.

I love all the fun pictures, our babies just aren't looking like babies any more. I admit, part of me is thrilled that Owen is still mostly a baldie, it keeps some of the baby look. We had his party with friends and family this weekend. My mother couldn't get over the fact that he preferred watermelon to cake. I wasn't surprised at all.

Party Pics 1

Part Pics 2

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PatchChild View Post
I love all the fun pictures, our babies just aren't looking like babies any more. I admit, part of me is thrilled that Owen is still mostly a baldie, it keeps some of the baby look.
Lulu is still pretty bald and the hair she does have is light, light blonde so hard to see anyway. That combined with the fact that she only weighs about 17-lbs and just has two little teeth makes her still look quite baby and that's a-okay with me!!

Your party looks fun. Watermelon is one of Lulu's favorite foods. Yum! Neither of my older two really got into their first birthday cake. DD1 thought it was okay and I really think DD2 was offended that we put it on her tray. I am looking forward to seeing how Lucy feels about it. She eats everything we've given her so I wouldn't be surprised if she actually liked the cake.

#18 ·
We like cupcakes and/or cookies for parties. You can make them as fancy as you like, they're easier for little hands to hold and little tummies to handle, and you can make different kinds to deal with a range of allergies or dietary concerns.

The cupcakes I made for dd1's 3rd bday went with the "garden party" theme she and her friend asked for... each cupcake was a tiny plant (choc cake, crushed cookie dirt, sprig of mint "growing" in each one, and baked in a tiny terra cotta plant pot). But you can make a cupcake or cookie match anything!

I still don't know what we're going to do though. And Ro has been so amazingly high needs these past few days she may not make it to her bday.

#19 ·
PatchChild--your little Owen is so cute. I love his pics.

As for the hair? Well, Willow has had that much hair since she was born. She never lost her baby locks, so her hair has just grown and grown. It's always in her eyes. It's a pain, honestly. But I love it.

#20 ·
Oh, I have to share.
I get to pick up DD's first birthday present tomorrow. Isn't she lovely?!? I know it's a little old for her now, but the local lady who makes the dolls is selling her business and I wanted to be sure Lulu had a doll like her big sisters do. Plus, Lulu's just as happy banging on a pan with a spoon as she is any baby toys so it's not like she needs something for now. Okay, back to the birthday celebrations. I can't believe it's only a couple weeks until she turns one!! EEEK!!

#21 ·
Owen is a cutie! I love the look on his face in the first picture. Ev loves watermelon too, we call it "baby crack"
I could be cutting a watermelon in another room and Evan just knows. He gets REALLY angry if I don't share. I'm using it to teach him to crawl
He'll drag himself across the room just to get a bite.

MomtoKay, what a nice present for Lulu.

Clay: I love your garden party cupcake idea. I never thought of crushing cookies and adding them to cupcakes. I bet that would work nice with gummy worms too for a nature party. DS! would love it! Any ideas for cupcake decorations with a heart theme?

DS1 and I have been working on little heart decorations for Evan's party. We're going with the heart theme since the party will be on his 1 yr surgery anniversary. I really look at that as his true birthday because it was the day he was really given life. The first two weeks he was just trying not to die. Does anyone have any ideas for decorations? DS1 loves crafts and wants to help decorate. We already plan on getting heart balloons and making a heart shaped cake.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Ev loves watermelon too, we call it "baby crack"
I could be cutting a watermelon in another room and Evan just knows. He gets REALLY angry if I don't share. I'm using it to teach him to crawl
He'll drag himself across the room just to get a bite.

DS1 and I have been working on little heart decorations for Evan's party. We're going with the heart theme since the party will be on his 1 yr surgery anniversary. I really look at that as his true birthday because it was the day he was really given life. The first two weeks he was just trying not to die. Does anyone have any ideas for decorations? DS1 loves crafts and wants to help decorate. We already plan on getting heart balloons and making a heart shaped cake.
Oh my gosh, think I could get Lucy to walk for watermelon?!? She'd probably just crawl though, hmmmmm . . .
I bet you could google valentines day decorations and get lots of heart ideas. I'm so glad your little guy is doing so well!!

#23 ·
Quote:
I love your garden party cupcake idea. I never thought of crushing cookies and adding them to cupcakes. I bet that would work nice with gummy worms too for a nature party. DS! would love it! Any ideas for cupcake decorations with a heart theme?
I have to fess up... I saw the cupcakes in a Garden Issue of Martha Stewart years ago and had been looking for a place to use them since then.
When the girls decided on garden party I practically bounced. The other mother was a bit surprised when I was like "me!!! me!!!! I'll do the cupcakes!!!!". And no... I'm not very Martha-y in real life.

Hearts- ok, the first thing I thought of was one of those realistic jello hearts with the goey center, but that's just cause I'm wierd.

Maybe little heart shaped cookies, or cupcakes with strawberry "hearts"? Or those little heart shaped sprinkles? I had a dip the other day made from beet juice and ricotta... it sounds a bit odd, but it was a really amazing purple/pink color and went well with sliced fruit, so maybe that could work into a heart theme (due to the color). Watermelon or other fruits could be cut into heart shapes as well. Oh! And I saw instructions once on how to cut two flat cakes into a heart shape (a square and a circle cake, cut circle in half and "build" the heart... the icing covers up the seams) so if you want to make a bigger cake that could work.

Red and pink balloons (we're getting a mylar balloon for Ro's bday since she is fascinated by balloons) maybe, or go for a sort of Alice in Wonderland Queen of Hearts approach? We did that for my first baby shower (I got a crown made from twisted gold foil and red paper hearts, DH had a top hat and watch as the white rabbit, and we played a bunch of Wonderland games while drinking tea. It was really silly but very fun). And Republic of Tea makes a Queen of Hearts rose bud tea.

#24 ·
Well, we survived baby's first camping trip. We are clearly out of practice and weren't prepared when they banned campfires and ring pits! We had left our camp stove at home because we were trying to "simplify". Long story short, we ended up eating out on our camping trip, but the kayaking was lovely. More details and pictures here.

Happy anniversary to me and dh. It's our 7th. We took the kids with us to Chars Thai food for lunch. Its where we went on our first date. Sean stuck to string cheese and zuchinni I brought from home while dd was more adventurous and ordered something with bamboo shoots in it. She is looking forward to seeing that movie coming out this summer with the animated pandas. I hope its rated G.... Dd and I have our first swim class this evening. She is learning strokes while I take a water aerobics class. (Hence the reason we went out for lunch instead of dinner) THen after the kids are in bed, dh and I are hitting the Netflix movies that have piled up.

Happy b-day to everyone and happy heart day to Evan! Sean will be 1 on Friday!

#25 ·
Such beautiful babies! Hair or no hair, they're all just yummy. Happy Birthday to all!

Kiddos love their Radio Flyer pedal-free trike, but not as much as the rubbermaid container that long ago they discovered could be turned upside down and used to push around the house. Go figure.

DD has been using the potty. Both pee and poo, and while she isn't consistent I'm still so proud of how well she understands. She makes 'pssssss' sound when she pees. We had to buy a second potty to avoid fights over who gets to sit. DS loves to sit, but so far no action. Still it's a good start.

Last night DD slept through the entire night. We've been nursing on demand and I've made no effort to curb their night nursing so it was the very first time. I cried a little when I woke up (meanwhile DS latched on for his nth time at the boob) to see my lil girl still so sound asleep. Got up to pee and discovered AF is back. Cried a little more. What is up with me? DD woke up and when we went to do our morning potty routine I discovered she hadn't even wet her diaper through the entire night. Big potty this AM! Cried again. Geez.

Jillian, Ev looks so great. After all he's been through such a strong and feisty kid. Keep the watermelon coming!

Clay, I love the garden cupcake idea.

#26 ·
Tori: That is great that your dd is using the potty AND sleeping through the night!
Sorry that AF caught up with you. I remember being very emotional for my first pp af w/ ds1. I know my first pp AF is coming soon too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.