Diaper rash help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ds is 2 weeks old. He developed a little rash right around the crack of his bottom/butt cheeks. In 12 hours it got really RED and really angry looking and has not gotten better. I have been using Weleda's Calendula cream, Weleda's Diaper Rash cream (zinc oxide) and Burts Bees Diaper Rash cream (again, zinc oxide based). None of these have worked so I suspected it could be a yeast based rash. Two days ago I started using Miconazole nitrate cream 2% (basically Monistat). I saw some improvement in the rashy area but now I am seeing the redness spreading.

Any suggestions?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
#2 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 10:36 PM

Vinegar has worked wonders for us when the boys have yeasty rashes. Just a cotton swab with white distilled vinegar. If that doesn't work, try grapefruit seed extract (you have to mix it with distilled water; we use 20 drops per ounce). I have found that a combination of that and lots of naked time do the trick. Good luck!
#3 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 11:14 PM

My babe had what I was definately sure was a yeasty rash....only to have it turn out not to be yeast at all! Our dr. prescribed something called "magic butt cream". I believe you can even mix it yourself; it's a combo of desitin, maalox, nystatin, and something else...just google it. It cleared my ds3 up all the way for the first time in 8 weeks of dealing with a horrid rash. I also had tried the things you mentioned, but this stuff did the trick.

A happy woman
#4 of 14 Old 06-11-2008, 11:21 PM

For our yeast rash we were told to use the foot antifungal cream... know what I am talking about? I don't remember the name. Maybe it is the same active ingredient as the monistat. We took lots of nakey butt time and about 24 hours to see improvement.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#5 of 14 Old 06-12-2008, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyLee View Post
For our yeast rash we were told to use the foot antifungal cream... know what I am talking about? I don't remember the name. Maybe it is the same active ingredient as the monistat. We took lots of nakey butt time and about 24 hours to see improvement.
I think you are talking about Lotrimin?

I'm off to google "Magic butt cream".

#6 of 14 Old 06-12-2008, 11:26 AM

We've had great luck with adding vinegar to bathwater, and also using tea tree oil (a strong natural antifungal): dilute a few drops in olive oil (test it on your skin first--it can be strong) and daub it on after diaper changes. It works GREAT!

I would also give him some probiotics: let her suck the powder off your finger, or mix some in breastmilk and give it in a dropper.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#7 of 14 Old 06-12-2008, 11:58 AM

For a nasty diaper rashes we make some green tea (organic) compresses. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes and put on a clean diaper. At first it doesn’t look like it is doing anything but in a couple of hour there will be a huge difference and the next day it will be almost cleared. Repeat as/if needed.

We also use green tea for my grandmother who is receiving chemo. She was breaking out with these horrible painful blisters on her head and face. My mother made her some green tea compresses and did it a couple times daily for a few days and it cleared them right up while it took away the pain. Another reason why I love green tea!

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#8 of 14 Old 06-12-2008, 03:17 PM

We used Aquaphor and it cleared up Gage's bum pretty fast.

Mommy of 3 super charged kiddos
#9 of 14 Old 06-12-2008, 04:13 PM

I like to use the blow dryer to really dry off my baby's butt after every diaper change. After I wipe him clean I just turn on the blow dryer to low and hold it far enough away that he doesn't get burned by the heat.

Wifey to B-Rax  Momma to Cartman 10-30-2006.  Gryff 5-7-2008.  angel.gif 8-15-2010.  My rainbow1284.gif baby Babs 11-13-11.  Due with #4 in May/June.  Gluten-Free. Raw milk drinkers. Urban homesteaders.
 teapot2.GIF  delayedvax.gif  selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif  cd.gif  knit.gif  chicken3.gif  waterbirth.jpg 

#10 of 14 Old 06-12-2008, 04:18 PM

My DD had a really bad diaper rash when she was just a few weeks old and we tried pretty much everything on the market (including some anti-yeast meds). The only thing that helped was "California Baby" cream.

Mom of DS (07/2006) and DD (01/2008)
#11 of 14 Old 06-12-2008, 06:46 PM

We've been fighting a rash too, we're using nystatin 3x a day and this morning we gave him an oatmeal bath in cool-ish water and that made a lot of redness go away

><> Mom to superhero.gif (6) hearts.gif (4) energy.gif (2) and baby.gif (born March!)
#12 of 14 Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 PM

I found that frequent baths (basically just water and a drop of cleanser) and some air (along with some sun) does wonders on the bottom. I also use this stuff (and I have used it on other rashes...especially the ones in the folds of her neck): http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/an...ttom_balm.html
#13 of 14 Old 06-12-2008, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Are there lots of little red dots? Is that why you think it's yeast? Have you tried just plain old Vaseline. I think the butt crack gets really dry. My lo used to get lots of rashes which turned out to be reaction to the dyes in Pampers diapers...now that we use 7th Generation, no problem whatsoever.
#14 of 14 Old 06-12-2008, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

It's not a rash with dots, it's just red and angry looking. I am seeing our family practitioner tomorrow. I just don't know what to do with this.

The original red area looks better but the redness is spreading! It's the spreading that has me worried.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page