Do you follow the well-baby Pediatric Visit Schedule - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2008, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I'm a homebirther due in late June and am currently trying to find a pediatric doctor in the SW Denver area but have been thinking - Do I really want/need to follow the normal well-baby pediatric visit schedule if nothing is wrong?

Ideally I'm anti-Vax and go for non-traditional medicine first (herbal/etc) and want to keep things like antibiotics for a last resort when absolutely necessary. Ultimately, If we track our baby's weight to ensure growth, I'm thinking I really don't want to drop in to get lectured by the doctor every 2 weeks or 2 months.

What are folks thoughts?
Thanks,l
Lesnah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 12:55 AM

If you're not vaxing, then there isn't any real need for Well Baby Checks. If you want to track your baby's weight, there are affordable scales you can buy for your home. I did take my ds to our naturopathic doctor a couple of times just so that we could have a record that he HAD a doctor should CPS come a knockin' for our crazy ways

, , , and
Old 06-12-2008, 01:07 AM

we love our ped. we enjoy well-baby visits and we don't vax.

Lindsay + Trev = DD RóisÃ*n (9/07) & DS Ãamonn (7/2010)
Old 06-12-2008, 01:19 AM

i love my ped. she's fantastic and i mainly go to the well baby visits to chat with her and she loves my little one. we are very selective vax. we won't be going to the 9m visit bc i plopped her on their scale when i took her sister for her 4y visit just a bit ago and was curious to see what she weighed and that's all they really do at the 9mo visit.....

i took dd1 to all the well baby visits and didn't enjoy them until the end when this new ped started there.

my mw onced joked that with a super easy delivery, no complications, tearing and such that the post partum visit was mainly to see the baby....

my ped just likes seeing mine bc she said she's always so happy and curious.

just chat with your ped....
Old 06-12-2008, 01:31 AM

We do vax and so go to well baby checkups. Besides the vaxes and weight/height measurements, they do check heart/lungs, ears, genital area and ask about developmental milestones. It may be a good idea to add your child as a patient with a family doctor just so you have one to go to if your child gets sick or you have a concern.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:35 AM

We don't have a ped yet. My little guy just turned 5 months. He saw a pediatrician once at 3 months when he had a rare overnight crying jag.I am hoping to find him one by 6 months. I am reading the Sears vaccine book,so I have been waiting until we were sure what we want to do . My little guy is a chunk and big for his age so I know he is growing extremely well.

treehugger.gifMamaknit.gifsewmachine.gifmodifiedartist.gif to one cool girlREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif4/3/01 and a sweet boysuperhero.gif1/1/08...and joy.gifsweet Goobie Rue born 3/6/12

**formerly known as Mamablueberry**

Old 06-12-2008, 01:39 AM

My son has been to a ped once and he will be 4 in August. He is under regular chiropractic care and has seen a naturopath about 4 times. But...dh and I are both doctors (chiropractors) and are very comfortable with monitoring our childs health and we have a lot of knowledge as parents. I don't have a problem going to an understanding ped when they need medical care I just don't think there is such a thing as "wellness" visits in the medical/western medicine arena.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

Old 06-12-2008, 01:47 AM

We go, just so that I have a relationship with the ped. He doesn't like that we don't vax but doesn't really give me a hard time about it.

I go to the well babies so that if we ever have to go for a sick call, I already know the Doctor and he already knows me and I don't have to explain all our wacky ways at the same time we are dealing with an illness. It gives me a chance to feel him out too so I have a better idea how to take the advice he gives.

I also like having someone who doesn't see my baby every day have a look at him every once in a while. Sometimes they catch things we miss.

I also figure it "looks good" so that if our wacky no vaxing co sleeping no circ homebirthing selves are challenged, I at least have a record of visits so that they can't accuse me of 'neglect' as far as medical care goes.

That's why we go
Old 06-12-2008, 02:20 AM

We took dd to the family doc that my husband goes to when she was 2 weeks old for a well baby visit so that I could meet him and so that she would have a chart started in case she's ill. That way we won't have a tough time getting her in. I've been to the practice before once or twice but saw the NP. I like the dr and he didn't have a problem with us not vaxing. He did say he recommended a few and but said he didn't care if we did or not and said we could come in anytime to have her weighed. All in all I liked him and we haven't been back since. Should the need arise I am glad we have a relationship with a dr we like and trust.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:52 AM

We're not vaxers. DS had been to his original ped (who we fired) for his two day and two week checkup, and that's it. Once we moved to AZ he met with our naturopath at 8 months old and had a checkup. She could care less that we don't vax, and is totally in line with our parenting philosophy. If we're still here we'll bring him to see her for a one year checkup, but she doesn't believe in doing scheduled visits for healthy children. My suggestion would be to find a naturopath who does pediatrics.

ribbonyellow.gif Army wife ribbonyellow.gif - Mama to Liam waterbirth.jpg (9/07), Laine uc.jpg (5/09), and Eliza h20homebirth.gif (7/11)

Old 06-12-2008, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Neither of my girls have been to a Ped. I would only take them if I really liked the doctor and he/she was very very like minded. Other wise IMO, it is a waste of time. Maybe try finding a family ND in your area.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos. Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 
Old 06-12-2008, 04:15 AM

Before we were ok with anti-vaxing, we did wbc with dd until her 6th month. That's when I was told we could come back at 12 months for the MMR. I knew I was still undecided about MMR but I also knew my HMO (at that time) was very inflexible about vaxing and I didn't want to fight about it each time. So we stopped going and eventually we changed to a PPO carrier.

Ds was never vaxed. He didn't see a ped until he was 2 (except for one visit near birth that was required for his birth certificate, since he was a home birth.) This office, which we still see, is fine with no vax and was one of the reasons they were chosen. During that time we didn't have him attending wbc, we weighed and measured him at home. I would check what the wbc visits would look for and would keep note of his development. I had no problem taking him to a ped at two and the ped couldn't find a problem with him.

I honestly believe wbc are simply to push vaccines.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:32 PM

Honestly, I don't see the point. But then dd is my second and I feel quite confident that I can tell whether she's eating/pooping/gaining enough, or if there's anything else going on. We weigh her occasionally at home on our majorly unreliable bathroom scale, but that's more for fun than anything.

I worry about her catching something in the ped's office, honestly, more than I worry about her not seeing a doctor.

If you want to find a provider, I'd definitely try to get a family doc, rather than a ped.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 06-12-2008, 12:32 PM

We see a ped, and only selectively vax. Haven't receive any pressure about it. For me, it's just good to check in with someone and chat about ds, as he's my first, and I don't have a lot of mom-help-advice coming my way. Plus, ds did have a severe infection when he was 3 wks and it was very helpful to have a place already established to take him for those types of emergencies. If I was getting pressure about my parenting, I would find someone else, but so far it has been good.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:36 PM

We go to all the appointments, but we also vaccinate. I like the appointments because I like to get numbers on my children's height & weight, and I also like that I have a relationship with a doctor in the case that my child does get ill.

Live and love with your whole being.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:42 PM

We had a homebirth, and our MW did checks at one, two and four weeks. After that, we just kept a height/weight record ourselves. You can easily keep track of the developmental milestones in the same way, if you choose. Our DD has not seen a ped. or other MD so far, and will not, unless/until we encounter an emergency situation we are not equipped to handle.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:08 PM

Don't forget, another route you can go is to find a family doctor and do periodic well checks.

We've got a family doctor who is basically going to see DD every six months the first two years and then maybe yearly after that. He's ok with our vax status (which is delayed/selective or none at all, we've not decided yet). I figure it's a good thing to have a relationship established with a like-minded doc in case you actually do need a doctor. I'd rather use him than some emergency care type place, then you just get any doctor, you know?

Ask some local folks who might be a more alternate vax friendly doc. I asked some local LLL members and this is how I found our doctor. Check in the finding your tribe forum too!

signature currently in transition
Old 06-12-2008, 02:12 PM

We love our ped, but family issues have taken us out of state at the moment, and we're due for a 4 month well baby visit. Because I selectively/delay vax (he'll be getting nothing for at least the first 12 months, if not longer), I'm not too worried about missing a visit.

If at six months we're still out of state, I'll just find a new ped here, if only to establish a relationship should something happen that requires medical attention.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:11 PM

My ds is 13 months now and last saw a doc at 6 weeks. I can see that he is thriving and find it a waste of time to go to the doctor for check ups.

caffix.gif

Old 06-12-2008, 04:13 PM

We go-however my ped also believes in selective vax. I trust her-she uses antibiotics as a last resort and takes a very hands off attitude.

I like to go to check on developmental milestones and do a height/weight check. I think it's also good to have a chart somewhere in case DS gets sick.

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 PM

we went to 3 WBV in the first year. mostly b/c i wanted to have a relationship w/ someone should the need arise.

that ped was an hour away so recently i transferred DD and myself to a local FNP who does not do vax's and breastfed/ coslept w/ all 4 of her kids.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:57 AM

My DS is going to be 4 soon and hasn't been to the doc since he was a little over 1...and that was because he had a nail avulsion. We learned about vaxes when he was a baby and decided to stop doing them, and therefore stopped goign to the doctor, because there was no other need to. I can weigh and measure him at home!
Old 06-13-2008, 03:35 AM

nope we don't he's gone once and his doc is great about since we aren't vaxing that just to come in every 6 or so months just so she can see him and have something in his chart incare he gets ill and needs her care. Works for me!! I'm so happy to find someone who is on the same level I am.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

Old 06-13-2008, 04:24 AM

My baby has been to a medical doctor twice. Or three times? I can't remember. All well before he was 4 months old. The first two times were because he was a newborn and I thought it was the right thing to do.

I am going to take him in again because he is a year and he has a medical issue which may necessitate surgery.

Other than that, he goes to a ND, and even then, only when necessary.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:06 AM

No, we don't.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn’t read the responses so I’m probably not the popular opinion but we follow the schedule.

We had a homebirth and went at 3 days pp, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, skipped the 4 month for other reasons, 6 months and 9 months. We plan to go to the 1 year and then we will decide from there.

I am a first time mom and I do not even know what to look for. I don’t think I am qualified to see if my son has a heart defect, joint problems, etc, etc. My ped is very supportive of non vax, child led weaning, self feeding, co sleeping, etc. I love going in there and hearing my son is healthy and growing well.

I also wanted a relationship with a doc incase something happened. I feel it's important to have a supportive ped when the going gets tough.

It’s up to each family what they choose. We enjoy going even though we don’t vax. I'm sure I would have a totally different outlook if I couldn't find a supportive ped.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:01 PM

We go to all well baby appointments because I like having a good relationship with my kid's ped just in case the kids ever get really sick and need hospitalization. I like chatting wtith the ped, and I've come to really trust her over the past 6 years that we've been seeing her.

Oh, and we selectively vax and our ped is fine with it.

DS:15 DD:12 DS:7 DS:5
Surrogate baby born: 9/17/12
Surrogate baby due: 12/14/14
Old 06-13-2008, 08:49 PM

i've been thinking about this myself as i was just annoyed at ds's 2 year old check up. we weren't vax'ing and i got a fill-in doc who gave me more headache than what i'm used to... plus a zillion questions they don't normally ask... what is his nap schedule like?What is his bedtime? yaddayadda....

so i took dd (five days old) in today to ped's and got her weighed and registered as a patient. since i don't plan to vax at all and this time around i really feel confident in what i'm doing as a parent... i think i'll just skip ongoing appointments but i'll know that she's a patient at that office should i really need a ped visit if something is wrong and i don't know what else to do.

as for today's visit, dd is already back to birth weight at five days old (only lost 5oz.) so i'm not worried about her weight. but just to double check it, i know a local baby store run by a LC who allows customers to do free weight checks at her store. so i will probably go in there to use the scale to track her weight.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My 3rd son went to the ped once at 7 weeks, then again at 9 months. We'll take him again when he needs a physical form for preschool, likely when he's about 2 and a half. With my older kids, we took ds #1 to all visits to 4 months, then nothing for 18 months, and he was fine. Ds #2 went about 4 times in his 1st year. We don't vax so we saw no need.

There is no reason to take a healthy baby to the pediatrician unless 1. you are vaccinating him or 2. you need a physical form for daycare/preschool etc.

If I want my baby's weight and height, I'm perfectly capable of weighing and measuring him. That way he's sure not to get any bonus sickness from the peds waiting room.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
We have an awesome doctor. He is fine with us not vaxing and he is knowledgeable about alternative treatment. Very pro breastfeeding. He's kind and gentle with our babe. I love him!

We go to all the well-baby visits to have a relationship with a dr. we trust in case we do need to go in for anything. (And also to reassure my formerly more mainstream dh that I do know what I'm talking about with regard to alternative treatment. Like, I think he was pretty surprised on the first visit when the physician's assistant asked me if I had been putting breastmilk in R's eye to help with her blocked tear duct. Of course I was!)

DD1 6 1/2 DD2 9/20/14 (18 weeks)

User Tag List