Newborn waking with every wet diaper - reasons? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 23 Old 06-16-2008, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping this is the right forum for this question and I'm also hoping my June DDC fellow mothers don't get upset that I'm posting this question before I've even posted about the birth (going to do that next) but we're getting desperate for an answer.

Our DD is less than a week old and now that my milk has come in she is making lots of wet diapers BUT every time she wets a diaper she wakes up and cries nonstop. She does NOT do this when she poops. Has anyone had this happen to them?

I am breastfeeding exclusively and we are using prefolds without covers at this point for diapering. We're going to try a sposie on her next to see if it is really an issue with her not liking being wet or if perhaps she has some sort of discomfort when wetting her diaper.

She has no visible rash or reaction that would indicate her skin is irritated so we are sort of at a loss.

Do some babies really hate being wet that much? My first DD didn't care what happened in her diaper so this is new to me.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 12:32 AM

She may be very sensitive, or she may have a UTI or bladder infection making it painful to urinate.
#3 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 01:07 AM

You should pop on over to the EC (elimination communication) forum!

Opinionated Mama to dd 2/23/03, ds 3/20/05 hbac, dd 1/23/08 2hbac, and baby #4 due in June 2010!

#4 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 01:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My cousin's baby has always hated being wet. She said he wakes up screaming during the night if he even pees a little, and they use sposies, so he can probably barely feel it.

I think some babies just hate being wet.
#5 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 01:15 AM

That was dd. We went to pockets at night lined with fleece.

-Angela
#6 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 AM

up when they peed at night.....unless really out cold.Hell my 3 year old still wears a night dipe and she wakes up if she goes.
#7 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
:
#8 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 AM

ds never complained even when he was super wet or poopy, so it was a surprise that dd is like yours--really sensitive to being wet (though I wouldn't say she cries and cries, just expresses her discomfort). I've been using sposies at night : and it's helped a lot.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#9 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 10:09 AM

Mine is super sensitive too and we use Fuzzi Bunz during the day.
#10 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 AM

yeah that was my ds....cried everytime he peed in the begining. To the point where he would pee a little, cry, i'd change him, and he would finish peeing, cry again, and get changed again.

It was fine during the day, but at night we switched to sposies because we all needed the sleep
#11 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 11:16 AM

My son was like that! I switched to sposies for all the time, because he wouldn't even sleep in the cloth and wanted changes ever 15 minutes. He hated being wet. But, at about 6 months, I tried cloth again & he doesn't mind at all anymore. Now, he'd rather I just not change him ever.
#12 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 11:50 AM

We sposie at night because dd2 will wake from a dead sleep when wet. During the day poop doesn't bug her but wet dipes still = cranky babe.

Does your little one fuss when wetting during the day? Perhaps arrange to catch some pee for the dr just to check for a uti or other infection if she always seems unhappy while urinating?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#13 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM

I think it's not about the wetness, it's about the feeling of having to pee waking the baby up.

Go check out the EC forum, as others said! your baby is trying to tell you something...
#14 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 06:03 PM

We definitely had to condition DS to use a diaper. We probably could've done EC quite easily had we ever given it a serious thought (might've been nice!). He didn't accept/tolerate the feeling of a wet/dirty diaper until he was several weeks old, so he got changed *very* quickly, which is better for them, anyhow.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#15 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traceface View Post
I think it's not about the wetness, it's about the feeling of having to pee waking the baby up.

Go check out the EC forum, as others said! your baby is trying to tell you something...
:

caffix.gif

#16 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnE73 View Post
I second that!

Shes saying 'Hey mama! - I dont like wetting myself - Pop me on the potty!'

The need to eliminate is as clear as the need to feed...this is her way of letting you know...Go for it, dont ignore this signal she is giving you - you have this wonderful window of opportunity in front of you, dont pass it up!... You wont regret it...I wish we had started EC much sooner! - EC is great!!!
#17 of 23 Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 PM

If you don't EC, cut up chunks of fleece and line your diapers with them, they will give her a dryer feeling (I did this with my kissaluvs).

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
#18 of 23 Old 06-18-2008, 12:30 AM

dd was the same way...and she did great with EC. like the other mamas said...check out the EC fourm. its wonderful to have a baby who is a strong signaler!!

amanda... lovin' my dh since 2004 and mama to dd (3), ds (18 months) and expecting someone new Oct 2010.
#19 of 23 Old 06-18-2008, 01:28 AM

Not sure from personal experience - my kids were both blissfully unaware .

However, I had a friend whose DD had some fusion in her labia - she would freak out at every pee and had to be changed immediately (they used disposibles). Not sure how they were related, but once the labia separated, she was fine. (The elderly ped offered to "pop" it open - Paula was like, "uh, no, thanks, we'll just take the cream..." and never ever made an appointment when he was on again).

Michelle, mama to Isabelle (03/04) and Tom (02/07)
#20 of 23 Old 06-18-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the feedback and the reassurance that not all babies do this. I thought perhaps I just had an odd duck with DD#1 and all other babies were like this.

When we did sposies at night DD#2 slept for four hours so it would seem it is not medical, but related to the feeling of being wet and perhaps cold.

We've had three suggestions that really have worked so I'm sharing them if others have this situation.

First, we roll the sides of the prefold in the front to sort of lift DD#2 off the diaper a little so the wet diaper is not right against her.

Second, fleece liners do help keep her drier but not entirely so.

And lastly, we were not using a cover on her dipe since she didn't pee much, but now we are - a friend suggested it would keep her bum warmer so she might be more comfortable.

All have seemed to lessen her need to wake. Any one of them used alone did nothing so it seems we've hit the magic combination for us.

Though EC was something we considered, as a family it didn't seem to fit for us so luckily we were able to find other solutions without going to sposies which we really didn't want to do.
#21 of 23 Old 06-19-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
I second that!

Shes saying 'Hey mama! - I dont like wetting myself - Pop me on the potty!'

The need to eliminate is as clear as the need to feed...this is her way of letting you know...Go for it, dont ignore this signal she is giving you - you have this wonderful window of opportunity in front of you, dont pass it up!... You wont regret it...I wish we had started EC much sooner! - EC is great!!!
yeah that! Our twins are 13 mos now and I didn't start EC early because, well, we were just overwhelmed with twins. Now that we're trying I WISH they would give such clear signals and not feel so comfortable eliminating in a diaper.
#22 of 23 Old 06-19-2008, 10:35 AM

All mine woke to pee. It is really easy to help them go at night. I just sat the BBLP (Baby Bjorn Little Potty) on my nightstand. When my little ones started stirring I would lay the potty on my bed and sit them on, or cradle them over when they were younger. I would make the Shhhhhhhshhhh sound and she would pee. It's easiest if you can leave her nakey bum, because that's less time to get to the potty. If you are worried about misses, you can put a mattress pad with a fleece or wool cutout on top. At that age, I just laid her nakey on a prefold and that did the trick. Really, once I started ec'ing (esp. with my second dc, they were MUUUUUUCH happier day or night. Please try it! Often they would never even wake to pee, but if I didn't pee her she would often wake up fully and I would have to have a full nursing session to get them back. I found that many nightwakings were cured with a pee instead of a BOOB!

GOOD LUCK!!!
#23 of 23 Old 06-19-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anudi01 View Post
All mine woke to pee. It is really easy to help them go at night. I just sat the BBLP (Baby Bjorn Little Potty) on my nightstand. When my little ones started stirring I would lay the potty on my bed and sit them on, or cradle them over when they were younger. I would make the Shhhhhhhshhhh sound and she would pee. It's easiest if you can leave her nakey bum, because that's less time to get to the potty. If you are worried about misses, you can put a mattress pad with a fleece or wool cutout on top. At that age, I just laid her nakey on a prefold and that did the trick. Really, once I started ec'ing (esp. with my second dc, they were MUUUUUUCH happier day or night. Please try it! Often they would never even wake to pee, but if I didn't pee her she would often wake up fully and I would have to have a full nursing session to get them back. I found that many nightwakings were cured with a pee instead of a BOOB!

GOOD LUCK!!!
this was such a revelation to me when i started EC'ing. i used to get so frustrated that DD1 would "wake to nurse" and then fall asleep 3 seconds after i got the boob in her mouth, until i discovered she wasn't waking to nurse at all! she just had to pee! and, of course, it was a vicious cycle because the more she woke to pee, the more she nursed back to sleep, the more she had to pee! once you break that cycle you'll likely notice a lot fewer night wakings overall.

i'm not hardcore about night time EC, though, and I do put DD2 in a pocket diaper so she doesn't feel uncomfortable if she does pee in it - she stirs very quietly when she has to pee (vs. thrashing around or crying) so occasionally i don't wake up right away and don't get to her in time, and i don't like her to be in a wet feeling diaper, so if she falls back asleep immediately after peeing i don't feel it necessary to wake her back up to change her every time.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page