toddler pushed on baby's soft spot! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my neighbor's 3 year old just pressed on my son's soft spot! with her thumb! it happened so quickly i couldn't do anything except yell as soon as i saw her do it. he is acting fine. does anyone know anything about what could happen? i can't stop thinking about it. i am so mad at myself for even letting her near him!
if you don't know for sure and are just going off of fears, please do not tell me because i am already freaking out. but if it has happened to you, please let me know the outcome.
sorry to say that, but you don't live in my head and know how bad i worry.
#2 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 12:19 PM

Ugh...it drives me batty when little kids/toddlers touch ds's head, especially when their mom is standing there!!

I'm guessing that if your lo seems ok and isn't complaining there's nothing to worry about. You could always put a call into the ped just to be on the safe side if you're really worried.
#3 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericaz View Post

I'm guessing that if your lo seems ok and isn't complaining there's nothing to worry about. You could always put a call into the ped just to be on the safe side if you're really worried.
Yup, I agree. And as I have 4 kiddos, believe me, a couple of them got their soft spots touched/pushed on by others.

Just a small reminder too - I know you're worried about your babe, but please don't be angry with the 3-year-old. She's still a baby too!

A happy woman
#4 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 02:31 PM

Babies are amazingly durable. If you have more than one child then you've probably had a baby who's soft spot was poked, hit, or explored in some way by the older child.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#5 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 04:00 PM

The "Soft spot" is a really durable membrane. I touch DS's all the time as I know he won't have it forever and well it feel cool I agree as long as LO is acting normal then no worries.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#6 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM

babies are not as fragile as we tend to think.

how hard did the toddler push?

when assessing a newborn we usually palpate the fontanels...contrary to popular belief, the membrane covering the fontanelles are really really tough and protective. You would really have to try to poke through very hard and purposefully to do anydamage.
nak.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#7 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 04:01 PM

sorry posted at the same time as butterfly mommy

#8 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Babies are amazingly durable. If you have more than one child then you've probably had a baby who's soft spot was poked, hit, or explored in some way by the older child.
I'm sorry, but this made me giggle bc it is SO TRUE.
#9 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 04:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I myself accidently pushed on my middle dd's soft spot trying to reposition her head while side lying nursing. She is almost 5 and it a-ok!

student/sahm to three awesome girls who are always on the go!
#10 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidprego View Post
my neighbor's 3 year old just pressed on my son's soft spot! with her thumb! it happened so quickly i couldn't do anything except yell as soon as i saw her do it. he is acting fine. does anyone know anything about what could happen? i can't stop thinking about it. i am so mad at myself for even letting her near him!
if you don't know for sure and are just going off of fears, please do not tell me because i am already freaking out. but if it has happened to you, please let me know the outcome.
sorry to say that, but you don't live in my head and know how bad i worry.
OP, it sucks that this happened, and I see how you are worrying, but with a toddler sibling, it has happened to my second child numberous times (they are 22 months apart). I have touched my child's soft spot myself as well (with medium to light pressure) to familiarize myself with how it feels normally. If it it not punctured and your baby seems fine, I would think it will be ok. I would worry: if it was punctured, if it had been hit forcefully with a heavy object, if it was touched (such as happened with your LO) and the child was screaming hystarical and kept crying/started acting weird.

Motherhood is such a bumpy ride with all the ups and down and joys and fears!!!
#11 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
Yup, I agree. And as I have 4 kiddos, believe me, a couple of them got their soft spots touched/pushed on by others.

Just a small reminder too - I know you're worried about your babe, but please don't be angry with the 3-year-old. She's still a baby too!
You've already been told by several other mamas about the "soft spot" exactly what I was going to say.

But I wanted to reinforce this statement. It's hard to realize this when it's your first baby. 2,3,and even 4 yos seem so big and grown up next to sweet little guy, but they are still babies too. They don't know any better and aren't trying to be harmful. It's good to watch closely when mixing little kids and babies., because you just never know what they may do or explore. And they don't realize the consequences to their actions.

senior majikfaerie cult member
#12 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 04:16 PM
kwg

Your title reminded me of a funny story. When my aunt had her last baby (she is now 18)one of her older ones wrote with a ball point pen on her soft spot "do not touch" :
#13 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwg View Post
Your title reminded me of a funny story. When my aunt had her last baby (she is now 18)one of her older ones wrote with a ball point pen on her soft spot "do not touch" :
: That's awesome!

senior majikfaerie cult member
#14 of 15 Old 06-17-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwg View Post
thats great!

#15 of 15 Old 05-27-2014, 07:17 AM

hey, I know how easy it is to worry about these things! but try not to get too upset over this. the baby's fontanelle or "soft spot" is covered with a thick membrane and this prevents any damage to the brain if something presses against the soft spot. I'm sure everything will be fine! but if you still are worrying maybe get your child looked by a doctor to insure everything is "A-Okay".

Hope this helped! I know this is years late but its for others who are worrying about there baby aswellbabyf.gif

Aoife x :blowkiss 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page