Pinchy, bitey 7 mo - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 06-17-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD is awesome and learning so much so fast. She is really getting the pincer grasp down pat now. Problem - she pinches ME constantly when I hold her. Mostly neck and face. Ouch! She also tries to bite me although that's easier to avoid. I know this is not malicious - she pinches and bites everything -it's her current way of exploring. But i'm not exactly enjoying it. WWYD? Is it too early to start saying "No"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-17-2008, 07:03 PM

My DS is just a day older than your DD, and he's into this big time too right now. It hurts! I know this is just how he learns, though.

What I do is gently move his hands and say, "Ouch! It hurts when you pinch Mommy." Then I hand him a small toy (one that can fit into my pocket so I can carry it all over easily) to play with and explore instead. I generally use a pacifier as the small toy since he doesn't suck on them anyway, just turns them over, explores them and chews on them.
#3 of 4 Old 06-17-2008, 10:40 PM

My little guy's only 6 months old but he's into this, too. He's been doing this in certain degrees for awhile now: pulling hair, pulling off glasses, pushing glasses further onto my face, scratching at my face, lots of stuff. Usually I say, "Jamie, let go of my hair/glasses" or "Jamie, no biting," and that usually works. He sometimes forgets but usually when I say that, he stops right away. What I used to have to do was I would tell him to let go of my hair or whatever and I would physically do it as I said it and I think that helped him understand what it meant when I said that and he was more apt to do it. When he bites, the first time I'll say, "Jamie, no biting," in a nice but firm way, and if he does it again, I'll stop feeding him and give him his teether, because I figure that if he's chewing on something, then he's teething, and he's not hungry at that moment. They just need reminders every now and again to not do it and then they (usually) stop, or, at least, my LO does.

#4 of 4 Old 06-18-2008, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I think I'm going to start gently correcting her - "elena, no biting" or "no pinching" and remove her hand. She picks things up so quickly, hopefully it will sink in. She also loves to remove my glasses.

Found out yesterday that she may be extra bitey lately b/c she is working on two more teeth! That will be five now! No wonder it hurts so much when she chomps on me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page