Encouraging baby to crawl with no carpet? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 01:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is 8 1/2mo and ready to crawl. But we have no carpet. Hardwoods or tile in the whole house. She WANTS to crawl and does a bit at MIL's house (who has carpet) but slips and slides on our floors.

Any ideas to help her out? Will she get better at crawling on the hardwoods? I feel so bad for her when she gets frustrated!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#2 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 01:57 AM

We have tile throughout our house and my DD would slip and slide also. She learned to do what we call a "primate crawl" She crawls on her hands and feet.
She is walking now, the crawling didn't last long but it was cute.
They need some non slip grip on the knees of pants

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#3 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 02:21 AM
luv

She'll get it we have tile/wood also. We do have a few throw rugs though. She actually learned to push herself backward first on the tile (less friction to overcome I think). Then she figured out how to crawl

If you want to buy a couple throw rugs

-luv
#4 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 02:52 AM

My oldest DS learned to crawl on terrazo floors (smooth like marble.) What helped him was my generic "babylegs."

Take some tube socks and cut off the top elastic part. On one side draw some dots or lines with puffy fabric paint. When they dry, pull them up on your baby's knees. They work like non-skid socks, but on their knees instead of their feet.

Mama to: turtle 6August01 and frog 28May05 and ttc#3
#5 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 08:24 AM

Yeah, both of mine learned to crawl like Tarzan pretty early on. DD1 was crawling at 5 months, and dd2 is now crawling, at 4 months. Nothing like cold hard tile to motivate them to pick their belly up and CRAWL! Seriously though, I wouldn't sweat it. Both my kids have just been very very active and alert, and would have crawled across hot coals if they had to.
#6 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 09:05 AM

Babylegs got my LO going backwards at least on our hardwoods.

Maybe you could try these?

Lynn, single lesbian mama to All Mighty Iris 12/10/07
#7 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 09:58 AM

Like others have said there are those pants with the puff paint on the knees and feet. But she'll crawl once she get the hang of it and she'll be able to manipulate those hardwood floors quicker than anything soon. Maybe some nudey time might work too, without pants and just nappy on?
#8 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Both of our twins learned to crawl on hardwood and tile floors. DS started commando style at 4.5 mos and then switched to hands/knees. At 5.5 mos DD started with hands/knees. Except that they always had dirty hands/knees and feet (we also have 5 dogs) they had no problems whatsoever.
#9 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reassurance..We had carpet when both my others learned to crawl. I just feel so bad for her because she wants to and I think she can but she just slips everywhere. She is doing a little commando thing though. Maybe I'll pick up some babylegs this weekend..Thanks again!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#10 of 15 Old 06-20-2008, 02:24 PM

we have some carpet but our house is mostly hardsurface floors. DS crawls WAY better on the hard floors....I keep his legs & feet bare so he can get traction and he's off! Pants, socks, babylegs tended to make him slide.

wife to DH, Mama to DS "Bug" (09/07), and DD "Sprout" (01/11). 
#11 of 15 Old 06-21-2008, 05:33 PM

We have all hardwood floors except the kitchen and bathroom that are tiled. DS learned to crawl a proper crawl. Just give your little one some time. It will happen.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#12 of 15 Old 06-22-2008, 11:08 PM

We've had hardwood for both of our babies, and I'm definately in the bare skin camp. Even on carpet, actually. If it's cold in the house, we just turn up the heat (they both crawled in winter, mostly). Mine only wear a onesie or similar thing so their hands, feet, knees and elbows can do the work and they don't get frustrated. Also, we don't wear socks in the house...they slip and fall all over the place.

"If you keep doing the same things you've always done, you'll keep getting the same results you've always gotten."

#13 of 15 Old 06-23-2008, 11:20 AM

I think bare legs are better for crawling on hard floors, at least here, now that is humid, the bare skin sticks to the floor and gives some nice traction.
#14 of 15 Old 06-23-2008, 11:24 AM

We live in an 18th century house and have (beautiful, old!) wood floors throughout. My little guy started on a throw rug, but now "army crawls" everywhere! I was worried at first, but then began wondering how many children have crawled across these very same floos over the last 250 years
#15 of 15 Old 06-23-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestionGal View Post
we have some carpet but our house is mostly hardsurface floors. DS crawls WAY better on the hard floors....I keep his legs & feet bare so he can get traction and he's off! Pants, socks, babylegs tended to make him slide.
: keep them out of knee coverings and they will grip with their skin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page