crawling before sitting up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-24-2008, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is 4 and a half months and has started to army crawl all around the house. She is not sitting up very well on her own, she can sit up un-supported for maybe 5 seconds! I thought babies were supposed to sit before crawl? Anyone know?
#2 of 14 Old 06-24-2008, 10:50 PM

Hi- my son did this as well, although he was more like 5 or 5 1/2 months and he was sitting by around 6 months. I don't think it typically goes in this order, but some babies are super motivated to MOVE!

Sarah
#3 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 AM

my son never did the army crawl but he learned crawling and sitting up at the same time with crawling being slight ahead. and he did it around 4 months. i guess maybe most babies sit first but there's always exceptions?

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#4 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 03:26 AM

My DS is 6.5 months and has been "army-crawling" for about a month now. The knees have been coming up for the last week or two, so I think "classic crawling" is very close.
He sits very well with even the slightest bit of support; just my foot resting against his thigh for instance, but he's still definitely wobbly on his own. He sits fine while leaning forward playing with his feet, toys etc, but when he straightens up, he is rather unsteady.
I also thought sitting always came first- so I'm glad to see we're not an anomaly
#5 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 09:09 AM

Yeah, mine is like this, too, and DD was also when she was a baby. It makes me a little sad. I love sitting immobile babies, but it's neat watching them explore and pursue their own interests (shoes, paper, extension cords, etc.).

Mandy, mother to Alexandra (10/14/05) and William (12/21/07)
#6 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 01:06 PM

My ds1 was like that. He was doing a modified army crawl at 4 months but didn't sit up very well at that time. He could sit supported but not unsupported until about 8 months.
Wendi
#7 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 01:15 PM

Both of mine crawled before they sat up.

Like the other poster, it did make me a little sad. I always wanted to experience the "potted plant" stage. Mine were into trouble very early!

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#8 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 01:31 PM

My DD started army crawling and sitting at exactly the same time at 4 months so it probably won't be long for her! Now at barely 6 months she is actually crawling and going from a crawl to a sit position, etc., so they kinda go together.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#9 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 01:36 PM

Hurray!! We're not too weird!! I posted about this elsewhere and was told I must be imagining it.
DD started the army crawl at just over 4 months before she could sit properly. At about 5 months she started proper crawling and sitting well on her own. Now for the last week or so her new thing is pulling herself up to stand. She can even take a couple of steps along while holding onto the coffee table, or while I'm holding her hands. She's not even 6 months yet!! I was looking forward to the 'potted plant' stage too but instead we've had to go out and buy corner cushions and cupboard locks!! :

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#10 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabeeprague View Post
Hurray!! We're not too weird!! I posted about this elsewhere and was told I must be imagining it.
DD started the army crawl at just over 4 months before she could sit properly. At about 5 months she started proper crawling and sitting well on her own. Now for the last week or so her new thing is pulling herself up to stand. She can even take a couple of steps along while holding onto the coffee table, or while I'm holding her hands. She's not even 6 months yet!! I was looking forward to the 'potted plant' stage too but instead we've had to go out and buy corner cushions and cupboard locks!! :
My DD is doing this too! She pulled up a few weeks ago! This was also the same exact time that her brother did it at 5 months, too. He started cruising right after that still at 5 months, before he crawled, so I am just waiting for her to do it because as of now she will only take a few steps around something, not full on cruising. The crusing/walking sucks, its the beginning of losing the baby and moving to toddler! I hate that feeling! He walked at 8 months, so be prepared for an early walker! We are prepared for it here but hoping she holds out a while.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#11 of 14 Old 06-25-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Ok! Good. I am glad to see there are other babes who started to crawl without sitting up first. My 3 yr old son sat at 4 months and crawled at 6, so I expected a similar pattern from this little girly! But I guess she is here to break the mold! When she started to crawl this week, I was like 'hey! wait! you haven't sat up yet, slow down!'. Its hilarious how parents examine their babies every little move, and then start to worry at every twist and turn along the way.
#12 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 04:06 PM

Once DS started "proper" crawling, he soon after learned to get into a sitting position by backing into it.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#13 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 06:56 PM

I was coming on here to ask the same question. My DD just turned three months and has been army crawling the last week or so. I had been expecting her to sit up first. :0

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#14 of 14 Old 06-26-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailotus View Post
My daughter is 4 and a half months and has started to army crawl all around the house. She is not sitting up very well on her own, she can sit up un-supported for maybe 5 seconds! I thought babies were supposed to sit before crawl? Anyone know?
my Ds is doing this now- crawling but not sitting yet

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page