9 week old teething? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-26-2008, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 9 week old is drooling A LOT (this is new), chewing his hands all the time, biting, or gumming my nipples when he nurses, fussy a lot of the time. The LC kept asking me how old is he?? She said he is showing signs of teething. Is it possible????? If so, what can I do to help him? I hate to see him in pain.

I'm Aicha . In love with my DH, and my Adam (4/23/08) . boobie monster.
#2 of 11 Old 06-26-2008, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
it is indeed possible!!!

both mine started teething at this time. Atticus (11 mo) just popped molars through in the last couple days. Sawyer (now 4) had ALL his teeth by 15 months! early teething can be rough! boiron homeopathic teething drops have worked best for us...good luck!
#3 of 11 Old 06-26-2008, 08:58 PM

Salam!

My LO is also behaving this way... A pediatric nurse told me that babies can teethe anywhere from birth (some babies are born with teeth, I was told!) until way into toddlerhood... Thanks for the rec on the teething drops, soybeansmama!
#4 of 11 Old 06-26-2008, 09:06 PM

I was told that there are two stages to teething. The first is when the teeth move in the jaw, then the second is the typical teething in later months. Both stages are painful/uncomfortable. I have yet to get confirmation that there is a "Stage 1" from a dentist (even though my brother is one, but he says it's not his specialty. Apparently, knowing what happens when you're an infant is a "specialty" .)

My son was teething at 9 weeks also... it comes and goes...

We used Hylands Teething gel, which my husband swears by. I'm not so sure it worked. I think by the time we ended up giving it to ds, he was so tired that he would have fallen asleep regardless of the gel. We now have the teething tablets, but haven't tried them yet.
#5 of 11 Old 06-26-2008, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hmm. My DD's 14 weeks and has been doing the same for a few weeks. I asked my mother if it was too early for teething and she gave one of those grim 'Hah!' sounds that indicates no, it isn't.

Come to think of it though, she hasn't done it for a few days. Maybe it was something to do with the cold she had? She's only recently 'discovered' her hands; maybe she was just getting carried away with excitement at their existence?

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#6 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 08:34 AM

Sure it's possible. All 3 of my kids had teeth by their 3 month bdays.
I didn't do much of anything, just gave them toys (or even my finger) to gnaw on. Sometimes I'd use some Hyland's teething gel, though I don't think it actually does anything.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#7 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 08:37 AM

DS1 started teething at 6 weeks or so, had his first toofer all the way in at 12 weeks! It was nuts. So no, not too early. My little guy is starting to look suspiciously dribbly as well.
#8 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 09:35 AM

DS started drooling at 12 weeks and chewing his fingers shortly thereafter. Got his first tooth last week, at 8.5 mos. I agree that there are 2 stages - the first is a drooly one! (They start to create a lot more saliva, but they don't know to swallow it, so it's copious and obvious at first.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#9 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajouta View Post
Salam!
Wa Alaikum Salaam!

#10 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

So could this be why he is VERY fussy? He is crying alot more than normal. I took his temp today just to be sure it isn't somehting else (99.2 rectal). Usually he is happiest in the morning, but today, he woke up, cooed for about 5 minutes, then turned on the crying machine.

I am pumping/feeding to let my nipples heal. He took 3oz this morning, so I tried 1 more oz, but all he did was keep biting the nipple. And did I mention he's crying a lot more than normal??

#11 of 11 Old 06-27-2008, 01:59 PM

DS2 just started drooling like mad 3 weeks ago (he was 10 weeks then)! And chewing on his little fist. And being cranky. Lol.

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page