Baby gums / teeth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2008, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What exactly should the baby's gums look and feel like at 6 weeks? My LO's top gum has 2 VERY sharp little points coming through - they are clearly the points of teeth, but how can that be?? (Plus, she was a preemie - she's only 1 wk past her due date!) I noticed her drooling the other day and thought for a split second maybe she's teething, then realized I was crazy. Could she be?? Also, since I discovered those, I started feeling her lower gum and it has like a ridge that runs across it (left to right) and a little bit of soft gum above that - like the top edge can wiggle around back and forth all along the gum. Is that normal??

Thanks!
Tracey Mouse

Tracey R. Happy Helpmeet to Jeff, and Mama to Corey (ds, 22yo), Justin (ds, 20yo), Bekah (dd, 3yo), and Miah (Jeremiah, ds, 17mo), and baby Rachel, vasa previa survivor, 4 wks old.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 11:26 AM

I don't know what the gums should look like but I do know that it's possible for your baby to be teething so early. Some babies are even born with a tooth or two! It does seem strange for them to start so early, but it's perfectly normal so don't worry.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:56 PM

My nephew had little bumps like that - I believe they were some sort of benign cyst. Apparently they're pretty common/normal.

The texture of her gums sounds pretty normal to me, although I haven't conducted as thorough an investigation as you have!

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings

User Tag List