WWYD Pool & Sun? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2008, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 4 year old, an almost 4 month old and a pool. As you can imagine the 4 year old wants to live in the pool. That’s fine with me but here is my dilemma. All sunscreens I have seen say to use on 6 months or older. I can keep her out of the sun for the most part, but I still worry about protecting her little new skin. I have read about the chemicals in sunscreen and how putting it on Lo's is not a good idea because they have less skin so it covers more total body surface area exposing them to more chemicals. (hope I explained that right/made since) I have heard about using loose fitting tight woven cottons to protect arms and legs but it seems to me that would be hot, especially if its humid out. So, anyone have any advice with a LO outside, at the pool for most of the day? Also, is it safe to put LO in all those chemicals in the pool? I don't mean leaving her in there but for little dips here and there, provided she even likes it? TIA.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 12:28 PM

My LO started going for dips at 4 mos. He adores water.
My parents have a GIANT umbrella for their patio, and we just swung it over so that it shaded the part of the pool we were in. We also have a cute floaty with a sunshade over it, and we just position it so he's always shaded w/ a min of reflection.

I think covering LO in long sleeves and pants is fine too - yeah, hot - but LO will get wet. That will cool her off.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
Old 06-29-2008, 12:38 PM

What about a UV blocking outfit? They have them at places like One Step Ahead.

Wendi
Old 06-29-2008, 12:45 PM

Well we took ds in the pool a couple of days ago at 3 weeks But my parent's pool is salt water and very warm.

I would go for shade or clothing and avoid sunscreen.

-Angela
Old 06-29-2008, 01:10 PM

My mom bought me this: http://www.sungrubbies.com/product_i.../Baby-Cape.htm

I live in Texas, and while this may seem crazy, light layers actually keep a baby cooler.

I also have some linen shirts and long sleeved onesies, but I have no idea where those came from.

I would def. try some light, cool protective clothing
Old 06-29-2008, 02:39 PM

I agree with light layers of natural materials. Think about the clothing they were in Egypt, etc.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

Old 06-30-2008, 03:10 AM

I have a 4 week old--When is the earliest to put her in the pool? not soon right? what things do I need to be worried about? (sunscreen- chlorine--sun?!) lmk thanks!
Old 06-30-2008, 09:33 AM

We put both out babies in the pool at about one month old. Its our pool so we know how many chemicals go in, ect. As for sun protection, use long sleeved light colored clothing. Or one of those long sleeved UV sun suits.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:54 AM

i wear DD2 in a solarveil ring sling and put a hat on her head. her body is totally covered and protected from the sun, and the fabric is breezy and cool so neither of us is roasting. and it dries quick so i can get right into the pool with her. i also keep a bouncy seat out there in a shaded area, so if she is sleeping i can lay her in that and get into the pool with the other two kids or watch from the pool deck.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_mommy View Post
I agree with light layers of natural materials. Think about the clothing they were in Egypt, etc.
Yes! We do light clothing and hats with shade breaks here, even with the non-babies

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif

User Tag List