Taking care of baby teeth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-30-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What kind of toothpaste and tooth brushes do you use for your LO? When do you go from just wiping them with a cloth to actually brushing them?

Poor DS got 2 teeth at 4.5 months and now has 4 breaking through on top all at once.

knit.gifMarried to my best friend, mama to two boys (12/5/07, 2/12/10) and a sweet little girl (5/2/13).

#2 of 13 Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 PM

i recently asked my sister about this who is a ped dentist. My LO is 10 months and this is what she said...
"At this age, what really gets kids is the low salivary flow combined with high a/o frequent sugar intake at night. While breast milk does contain sugars the cavity-causing bacteria consume, it does not have as much as formula, juice, cow's milk....etc. Other than that, the important thing is the fluoridated water. And he has that when he eats and drinks solid food.
You can still start brushing at night when he has a bath, even if he feeds afterward, to get him used to the routine."

(I was asking if it was ok he only got brushed in the AM since he nurses to sleep which is why she mentioned to brush his teeth at bath time)

I use Baby OraGel toothpaste with a finger cot toothbrush and DS loves it! We'll move to a toothbrush soon...
#3 of 13 Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 PM

We don't have fluoridated water here in Wichita, KS. Should I be giving fluoride supplements? I have never had very many cavities, so if it is genetic I'm not too worried, but I spent my summers in NYC with fluoridated water when I was a kid. So I don't know if it is my genetics or exposure to fluoride that helped me out. I've read online that there is no proof about fluoride one way or the other, but was wondering what everyone else thought.

Michelle : wife to awesome DH Aaron : since (04/02), mom to DS Michael (07/07) and bio-mom to Ember (07/84), : , TANSTAAFL
#4 of 13 Old 06-30-2008, 09:59 PM

This site has some info about fluoride that you may or may not find useful!

http://www.fluoridealert.org/

We have well water with no fluoride added, so I think eventually we will use a fluoride toothpaste when DS is old enough to not swallow it. But it does seem to be a concern if you have fluoride in your water AND in your toothpaste.

I'm glad this topic came up, because I have no idea when I'm supposed to start brushing! DS' first two teeth are poking through now. He's just shy of 5 months. Do I start brushing them now? Wait until they are all the way through? Brush them with what?

Cynthia

Wife to Matt. Mom to Alex (2/8/08). Expecting our second (2/6/12).

#5 of 13 Old 06-30-2008, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm still confused on this. DS has 8 teeth and we don't brush regular yet. We gave him a little baby toothbrush every few days and he chews on it but that is it. No water, toothpaste, etc. I hope we are doing it right.... Maybe we should be doing this every day. He is eating solids all day.
#6 of 13 Old 06-30-2008, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first has ECC, so when Atticus teethed early as Sawyer did, we decided we better start with a good routine. We use SPIFFIES xylitol tooth wipes in the morning and at night, and Spry tooth gel in between. Both of these products you can get at dentist.net. We brush when we can with a "parent's brush" (it has a longer handle), but he isn't too thrilled with that at this point. He is 11 months with 12 teeth...
#7 of 13 Old 07-01-2008, 01:31 AM

as far as fluoride goes... I was raised on well water and never had fluoride in my water, at the dentist, or supplemented in any way. I brushed with fluoridated tooth paste starting when I was five (my mom made toothpaste before then). I have NEVER had a cavity, ever.

When we were kids, mom and dad just never gave us sugar (or very rarely) and we brushed three times a day. I don't think fluoride is necessary and there's much evidence that a) it doesn't do much anyways, and that b) it may actually prevent your brain from functioning properly.

my 2 cents
#8 of 13 Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 AM

i've heard that just wiping the teeth with a moist cloth is ok, opinions on that anyone?

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
#9 of 13 Old 07-02-2008, 03:08 AM

DS is 1 and won't let us stick our fingers in his mouth without chomping down. He too has a toothbrush he chews on. What I do is when I'm brushing(which he loves to watch), I brush his really quickly and kinda messily as well. Its the best we can do at this point with the little guy.

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#10 of 13 Old 07-02-2008, 10:51 AM

I got a little baby toothbrush for DD and I give her teeth and gums a quick brush morning and evening. She likes it! No toothpaste, just water as I don't want her swallowing fluoridated toothpaste. And she's only got 2 teeth so far at nearly 6 months.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#11 of 13 Old 07-02-2008, 11:53 AM

:

#12 of 13 Old 07-02-2008, 12:19 PM

We use this toothbrush
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/...mSource=Search

It's clear silicone. I wet it and give it ds either in the bathtub or while reading a story and he chews on it and moves it around a lot. Sometime I take it and move it back and forth and show him that way of doing it.

I don't use toothpaste yet, we have some Weleda toothpaste in the medicine cabinet, but haven't used it yet.

http://shop.weleda.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=9802

You are NOT suppose to use floride toothpaste until kids are old enough to spit, closer to 4 or 5 years.
#13 of 13 Old 07-02-2008, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
As soon as the first tooth appears, I brush twice every day. I use Spry tooth gel. I didn't brush DD1's teeth as often and she ended up with TEN cavities, we had to sedate her to fix some, I don't care to repeat that experience again.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page