February mamas, it's July! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 474 Old 07-17-2008, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I mean, I never thought of Paganism or any of the Earth-based religions as being "crunchier" than any other religion... but is it possible?
I know a LOT of pagans that are merely mouthpieces for the mother and little else... not very crunchy when it comes to birthing, bfing, MOTHERING... anything AP... Seems they like the dress-up and ritual part, but putting it into everyday action seems a little "barbaric" or uncivilized to them. : I have actually seen people wince when I tell them I kept/buried my placentas, speak of cloth mama pads or using the rinsewater for said pads in my garden (when i had one) I guess there are hypocrites in every religion from what I've observed.

Wow, I just got done with a 20 day stint in the desert. I am sandblasted and a bit hammered. We've parked the camper in a nice resort park near the city for a couple days... now it's time to sip a cold one, lay by the pool and RELAX. (I never thought I would need a vacation from camping! )

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 474 Old 07-17-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
Wow, I just got done with a 20 day stint in the desert. I am sandblasted and a bit hammered. We've parked the camper in a nice resort park near the city for a couple days... now it's time to sip a cold one, lay by the pool and RELAX. (I never thought I would need a vacation from camping! )

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#303 of 474 Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
I guess there are hypocrites in every religion from what I've observed.
Isn't that the truth!! (and the root of a LOT of all of our problems) IMO, MOST faith systems are actually pretty crunchy at their cores, but the vast majority of participants don't choose to read into their own doctrines that way. Anyone who has read the Bible should probably (again, IMO) consider themselves an environmentalist, but a LOT of the current Christian groups have very little to do with this issue:.

Sorry I've been out! We were camping in the Ozarks! Ben got to go on his first canoe trip. He and daddy went with my parents. Molly and I stayed back in the cabin. It was fun (other than some bee stings for Ben, and spider bites for DH and I) though a little crazy. I kept thinking of Salt Phoenix and the life in the camper. I used to think that I could LOVE a life on the go, but after the last 5 days, I'm not so sure.

Also, I'm cranky...3rd visit from AF already, even though I am EBF day and night. She never goes longer than 3 hours without eating day or night, and AF is already back. Don't mean to be too witchy, but I'm pissed at my uterine lining. Couldn't I just have a few free months!??
Dea, mine has been really long each time, too. But it hasn't been heavy the whole time. This time, it was spotting for 4 days and then started full flow, and hasn't let up yet. We'll see how long it lasts. Hope your procedure goes well!

Sleep is still quite broken, but I am working hard to get to a place of acceptance on the issue. The fact of the matter is that I am not willing to force her into anything right now, and I don't believe in CIO, so I need to embrace that we are co-sleeping together right now, awake 5-10 times, and DH is in the other room with DS. BUT, this phase will last only a short while, and then she will never be my LO again. DH and I will sleep together for the rest of our lives, we don't need the next few months. (However, please don't hold it against me if I break down now and then if I get a little tired).

Hi to all the returning and "popping in" mamas!!: Hang in there birthmommom!

Off to do some more catch-up reading!
#304 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 04:38 AM

cwoodard cute pic!!

salt_phoenix thank you for the postcard!!!

lovetobemama
sorry about af. she is still missing here

Dea good luck ttc!!!

birthmommom hang in there

So... Ashlee is really crawling now as of yesterday. She started out frog hopping ( to cute) now she is crawling. She is just like her brother, he crawled early too. I kinda wish it werent so soon but I cant stop her. I am uploading a video right now. i will post it later
#305 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 06:59 AM

Ok, the video is finally uploaded. Here is the video of Ash crawling . She can crawl better on carpet. Just happend to get it on video on the wood floor

Ashlee crawling
#306 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 AM

Aww, Allyn.

Emily, I hope better sleep is on the way!

Sharun, OMG! I can't believe Ashlee is crawling like that! SO cute.

And as for crunchiness in religion, I agree with Emily. It seems most religions at their core are "crunchy" but people always pick and choose what areas of religion are tolerable to practice! That said, I'm Unitarian Universalist, and it's pretty common for women at my church to be breastfeeding, homebirthing, baby-wearers. It's pretty cool, actually.
#307 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetobemama View Post
I used to think that I could LOVE a life on the go, but after the last 5 days, I'm not so sure.
If I could lounge away days by the pool in a nice resort rv park, it would be cake; it's the 20 days in the desert (and what I faced there) that nearly made me a violent woman.

Nothing like living in cramped quarters and facing ALL of the elements (natural and man-made) for extended periods of time to really show you ALL of your facets.

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#308 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I know a LOT of pagans that are merely mouthpieces for the mother and little else... not very crunchy when it comes to birthing, bfing, MOTHERING... anything AP... Seems they like the dress-up and ritual part, but putting it into everyday action seems a little "barbaric" or uncivilized to them. : I have actually seen people wince when I tell them I kept/buried my placentas, speak of cloth mama pads or using the rinsewater for said pads in my garden (when i had one) I guess there are hypocrites in every religion from what I've observed.

OH yeah, that's true. I hate that it is, but it's true. They love the fun stuff, but to actually live by some of the principles. Ugh I've seen enough of that. It actually made me reconsider my offical Pagan/Witch label for a while.

Ugh camping in the desert? in JULY!?! Woman you are a beast!! I've done it overnight once, ick never again. I looove your postcard by the way! Oh that reminds me of my other advice: Never go to a Drive-In Movie in August in the Desert. If it's 111 at 9 pm it will be 105 at midnight and that's still too hot even in moonlight...

I agree with you too Lovetobemama!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
Aww, Allyn.

Emily, I hope better sleep is on the way!

Sharun, OMG! I can't believe Ashlee is crawling like that! SO cute.

And as for crunchiness in religion, I agree with Emily. It seems most religions at their core are "crunchy" but people always pick and choose what areas of religion are tolerable to practice! That said, I'm Unitarian Universalist, and it's pretty common for women at my church to be breastfeeding, homebirthing, baby-wearers. It's pretty cool, actually.
I've been meaning to try the UU local(ish) church where I live! I've been there a few times liked it, then winter came and I stayed off the roads when I didn't have to be. Now I'm shy, but want to go back.

Gen! HAHA!! I had that discovery a few weeks ago myself! Ewww to say the least. The problem is I get so involved in getting rid of the stinky neck cheese that I forget about the ear funk.

Allyn, so glad to see you here. I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Dea!! Hiya! It's nice to have local people isn't it. I've found a group near here too, I'm just starting to get involved.

cdwoodard, that is one cuuuttte little boy!

Mommas I'm sorry I know I've missed a few (alot), it's been a while since I posted. to all of you. I miss our DDC it's so much easier to keep up!

: to everyone who's popping back in!

Doing ok here. I think DD has been fighting off an ear infection part of this week. Sun/MOn/Tues she was doing this little leaning thing with her left ear, and sleeping alot. I popped alot of Vit C and zinc, as I was feeling a cold coming on. She seemed alot better Wed/Thurs and I'm not feeling the cold take hold (knock wood), so I think we're kicking it.

signature currently in transition
#309 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 01:27 PM

Julie-- I totally understand needing a vacation from camping. The amount of DIRT that comes home with us from 4qf is just ridiculous.

Speaking of, it appears I was reading last year's description of the Shapeshifter's Ball... and this is this years:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Tribal Info
9:30 P.M. - midnight ‘Shapeshifters Ball’ the first major ceremonial of the weekend. Join us in an amazing dance party of wonder dressed as your most fabulous self. Bring dress up cloths to share and give away at Em's KaliMart with Black Light Specials. Feel free to enter the Hall of Mirrors and engage in your own transformation. How will you shift your shape? This is an experiential ceremony, so come prepared to throw yourself into an experience like no other. Together, we will divine, dress up, dance, and explore our roles in a social setting. Bring a costume/clothing to share. If you can not arrive by 9:30PM, the ceremony runs till midnight, just show up when you are able!
*sigh* I'm still gonna have to do the newspaper thing, though. I will find an excuse... just not this. This time... I need sparklies.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#310 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 01:54 PM

I am home from vacation! Lots of unpacking to do.. blah! Will check in later after I read the posts from the week!

HUGS!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#311 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 07:27 PM

My mom is being life flighted. they think heart attack. i'm out the door as soon as dave gets home. please pray for her/us.

#312 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Mamas, I am not going to have a chance for my replies before we are gone for the weekend I will try my darndest when we get back (we're staying at my parents with my 2 brothers, SIL and nephew and going to the Ann Arbor art fair together) We did make a pretty sweet felt board (IMO) with the daycare kids yesterday and today, though, picture in my blog (in my sig) I am very excited about it.

Sarah - You and your mum are in my heart : Best of wishes, be strong, mama

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#313 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
My mom is being life flighted. they think heart attack. i'm out the door as soon as dave gets home. please pray for her/us.
:
#314 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 08:52 PM

Sarah, my thoughts and prayers are with your mom, you, and your family right now!!! Update us when the chance comes. We'll be thinking of you.!! s
#315 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
Ok, the video is finally uploaded. Here is the video of Ash crawling . She can crawl better on carpet. Just happend to get it on video on the wood floor

Ashlee crawling
I can't believe one of them is crawling!!! That scares me. I do realize she's over a month older than mine, but this is scary stuff.

I can't keep up with this thread and chore wars is too much of a chore, and it doesn't have the kinds of chores I do, example: brush hair and teeth, apply deodorant, load up car with two kids and run errands and get groceries without anyone melting down. That should be like 1000 points.

My little guy is teething like mad and he's so cute. His big sister cracks me up. She was playing outside with grandpa and I heard her cry, so I went out to see what happened. She had skidded down a big rock in the parking strip. She runs up to me and says Mommy, "you need to strap my shoe and kiss my butt", which I did and then she ran back to the same rock and climbed back up. They just only seem to get cuter!
#316 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:

Oh your family is in my thoughts..

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
#317 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Dea

Quote:
I will think of her. I hope all is well!
much love.

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#318 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Sending thoughts and prayers your way. Hope everything is well.
#319 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Thinking of you and hoping for the best!:

Cynthia

Wife to Matt. Mom to Alex (2/8/08). Expecting our second (2/6/12).

#320 of 474 Old 07-18-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:

Thinking of you.

Love to all - I'll have to catch up later - my big kids are home on a visit for the first time in 3 weeks. :

A happy woman
#321 of 474 Old 07-19-2008, 12:37 AM

thank you all so much. it says alot when something like this happens and i post to you all and call my pastor!

She did have a heart attack but there is thankfully fairly minimal damage. She had an angiogram and they are doing some meds and what not but she's okay. she's only 55 too!! I appreciate all your thoughts and prayers, it truely means alot.

#322 of 474 Old 07-19-2008, 01:17 AM

Glad to hear it, Sarah.

My mom's had several heart attacks, at least two strokes, and last year she spent about a month in a coma... and today she's still kicking, and as on top of things as ever. It's amazing, what the human body is capable of... particularly in conjunction with modern medicine.

Jezzy-- I wish I could get video of Bear crawling & walking with hands. So cute! I'm glad he's not the only one. Forgive me for this, but I'm also desperate to get video of him talking online. I'm so tired of not being believed about Bean. Bear's not the talker that Bean was, but he's got quite a few words and they're totally clear & understandable.

That said, though, again, the latest mover was the easiest, physically, to deal with. Yeah, I worried when Bella didn't walk at 14 months... but I have to admit that it was a heck of a lot easier to deal with than BooBah's early walking.

Bear is looking so cute and mini tonight. Sleeping and delicious. He has an ear infection, though, and that kind of sucks. :/ Poor muffin.

#323 of 474 Old 07-19-2008, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Personally I think there's a lot to be said for tying babies to swaddling boards and just hanging them up on the wall for a year or two... I've missed the boat again though

Sarah, gentle healing vibes for your mum and for your whole family after the shock you had yesterday.

Rynna, I don't think you're nuts. River has a few words- Isaac and hello, mostly. Two guesses who's been teaching him I wouldn't have looked beyond the inflections to see if there was any sense there, though, if it hadn't been for you.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#324 of 474 Old 07-19-2008, 04:34 AM

Quote:
I am glad to read that she is ok. Sending healing vibes her way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post
We did make a pretty sweet felt board (IMO) with the daycare kids yesterday and today, though, picture in my blog (in my sig) I am very excited about it.
Its beautiful!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post

Jezzy-- but I'm also desperate to get video of him talking online. I'm so tired of not being believed about Bean. Bear's not the talker that Bean was, but he's got quite a few words and they're totally clear & understandable.

Bear is looking so cute and mini tonight. Sleeping and delicious. He has an ear infection, though, and that kind of sucks. :/ Poor muffin.
I would LOVE to see a video of him talking!!

I hope he is feeling better soon!

flapjack who hangs their babies on walls? Did I miss something? Btw your 2nd link in your sigi isnt working.
#325 of 474 Old 07-19-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
River has a few words- Isaac and hello, mostly. Two guesses who's been teaching him I wouldn't have looked beyond the inflections to see if there was any sense there, though, if it hadn't been for you.
Bean's first word was his name. BooBah's first word... was Bean's name.

#326 of 474 Old 07-19-2008, 10:13 AM

Hi ladies!

Just a quickie! I think I read all posts last night. (lots to read!)

Sarah- glad to hear your mom is ok. Heart attack at any age is scary. Lots of hugs!

Helen- LOVE your hair! It looks great!

Making IRL friends- yeah,.., I started a local yahoo AP group and it has FAILED miserably. When I moved to Maine Jan 2006 I started it and had a few takers.. but NO one posts but me. Really. I am the only one. Sometimes people will reply to me, but I am the only one who initiates posts. Sad and depressing. I have a few friends in Maine that I like but don't see too often but really like them. I host the local LLL meetings at my house and that isn't helping me find more friends. I think most people don't wnat to play with us because of DS1 allergies. I ask that if people KNOW we are going to see them to have their kids not eat dairy, eggs or nuts the morning they see us and wash face and hands well. That just annoys people and I get comments like "you can't tell my kids what to eat!" hten I have to say "well, I am just trying to keep my DS alive"... lovely.

ok.. ds2 crying.. gotta run.. more later!
I updated pics in facebook from our vacation. .. pics

#327 of 474 Old 07-19-2008, 03:48 PM

Linda, must be so rough with the allergies. So sorry to hear that other parents aren't supportive!

Sarah:, I'm so glad that she's ok!! Hang in there with the healing process!

Jezzy and Salt-Phoenix, thanks for the awesome post cards!!! I sent mine today, hope they get to you all soon!

Helen, I cut 10 inches off my hair in May and sent it in to Locks of Love. My hair is usually really thin, but it was thick after the pregnancy, so I cut it before it started falling out, and got to make a pretty good donation. And I am loving having it short!

Gotta go help Molly take a nap!
#328 of 474 Old 07-19-2008, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Jezzy, back in the middle ages babies were swaddled to boards. There's a few pictures which show these poor unfortunate babies having been actually HUNG on the wall by their swaddling boards so they could see what was going on around them. I have been known to tell Alex that if he doesn't stop xyz, I'll swaddle him - it seems to work. (Alex is 9 and a history buff.)
Steve graduated today I'm happy, but knackered. BBT with personals.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#329 of 474 Old 07-19-2008, 05:34 PM

Cheers to Steve, and your whole family for this great achievement, Helen!
#330 of 474 Old 07-19-2008, 06:02 PM

Hi there ladies! I rarely post, but I do read and it's so nice to be able to keep up with everyone! I've just got a few minutes before Ella wakes, so here is what is going on with her:

She is finally sleeping well, she only wakes 1-2 times in a 9-10 hour stretch!!!:::::::: I was getting soooo tired there for a while and desperate...

She is officially crawling as of 4 months, and now is EVERYwhere. A few days ago I caught her chewing on the wire of the vacuum... And she is still really bitty and petite, so she looks pretty funny crawling around.

Her newest 'trick' is standing, she started doing this in her crib about 2-3 weeks ago, and is now attempting to cruise. (that's where they 'walk' holding on to something, right?) Um, yeah. Cute, but NOT YET!!!

We have a small pool and she (well both of my kids) LOVES water. Seriously, we swim for 1-3 hours everyday. Even when it's not that warm. She just loves it. We started going under a bit and while she is not too sure about it, she doesn't cry, just makes a surprised face, like "What the heck just happened!!"
Abby, who is 3, just learned to really swim under the water (up until now, she could swim for a few seconds, but that's it) and can swim across our pool. She is a little fish lately, and wakes up and wants to swim. She is also very interested in bones. I have no idea why, but that's what she wants to talk about. The other day we were up at 6:45 looking up skeletons on the computer.:yawning: But hey, that's what we are going for with unschooling, so I am happy she is so curious and loves learning.

I'm wondering about starting solids with Ella. She is just crazy for when we eat. Literally grabbing stuff and shoving it in her mouth! Today it was a hunk of bread at Panera. The other day it was an apple slice. I don't know. I may try some avocado and see what she does...:

I love reading about you all, going back in this thread now to catch up!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page