February mamas, it's July! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 474 Old 07-25-2008, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies!

Storms weren't that bad, but lost power a couple of times for a short period!

Just quick (I have to take DS1 out to play DS2 is napping)...

Earlier I was nursing DS2 and DS1 (Charlie 2.75 yrs old) says "if I a mommy feed baby bottle because Charlie no have num nums yet, Charlie only have armpits."

ahahhaha! this cracked me up! If you have a 2yr old you will probably understand the grammar better.. I didn't want to fix it because it is his little language! oh BTW num-nums are what he calls my boobs!

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#422 of 474 Old 07-25-2008, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

That's cute My 2yo is, apparently, cooking her brother : I'm glad you survived the storms OK.

Firecat, the Artists Way is a programme to unleash one's inner creative: Link I'm enjoying it, but finding it quite demanding as well.
I just signed up to go back to university (distance learning) in the autumn. I'm looking forward to it, but at the same time I'm terrified. I just have no idea how I'm going to find the time- I'm actually considering finding a nursery or mothers help for Skye and River for a few mornings so I can get some work done.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#423 of 474 Old 07-25-2008, 05:14 PM

Okay, I'm on page 19 right now and trying to catch up when I can, and I WILL, I have yet to miss a single post since I joined you ladies. However, I did want to ask for some good vibes my way. My cat Dio has been missing now for just over a week, and my heart just can't take it. Don't worry about reading this all, I just need to get it out. When we moved here 2 years ago we had 3 cats:

1) Ta-kun: I adopted on my own while I was homeless, total sweetheart, always on a harness and leash everywhere with me. I could walk into a coffee shop, drop his leash by the door and he would patiently wait for me to get my coffee, pay, etc. My little squish-face, heart of my heart, he talked to everyone, had such a funny - human - way of talking, he would even talk on the phone.

2) Aneble: I was supposed to kitty sit for him for 6 months while his mum studied abroad. She never came back for him, he was the same age as Ta-kun, they loved each other like brothers, Aneble had a lot of emotional issues, but I fell in love with him and for 2 two years committed to making him a happy, stable kitty.

3) Stormy: Showed up at the door in a thunderstorm, tiny little thing, thought she was a kitten, she moved here with us too, but we were looking for a home for her.

We moved here, none of our cats had been outside without us, although I could let Ta-kun go without a leash, he would follow, but I had always been in the city. I intended to integrate them to the outside eventually, but we had just moved here. We went on a wonderful vacation, my DP and I, and both my brother's with their DPs. MIL was taking care of our cats, they were supposed to be kept in. She let them out. I never saw Ta-kun again. Aneble sat in windows and cried for 2 weeks and then left, never saw him again. I did everything I could to find them, but I got nothing. I still have dreams that they suddenly come back and it's like my heart is set free of this terrible weight I didn't realize it was carrying.

At the time there were 2 other cats in residence here. Sadey and her son Sebastian. DP had grown up with them, Sebastian was his cat. Sister and nephew of my parent's two cats (whom I bottle fed and raised, their mother was thrown into a dog kennel when they were 3 days old.) Well, as Stormy swelled it became evident that she was just tiny, not a kitten, she gave birth and we placed all but 4 of the kittens. Pipkin, Dio, Olive and Nate. Sadey got fed up I think, and left. Couple months later, Sebastian disappeared.

In the last year the 5 have been consistent; Stormy, Dio, Pipkin, Nate and Olive. It has all seemed so far out of my control, but these 5 were close family and didn't annoy each other, so I don't think Dio left because he needed space. They've all been very happy. I've never collared because my mum had a cat that died that way (got snagged) and the break-aways they all pull off immediately. I hadn't chipped because everywhere I found it was a fee to put it in, a registration fee, and a monthly fee. Flee / tick medicine for 5 cats is already hefty, and we just couldn't afford it. I found out today though when I visited the shelter that they will put them in for $20 and that is all you ever have to pay, so I'm going to get them all done ASAP.

Stormy was away once for a month and came back in rough shape. She actually had 3 litters, Dio and Pipkin are from the first, Nate and Olive from the second. Each time she was pregnant before she stopped nursing, so I hadn't gotten her spayed. She went missing pregnant with the third litter and came home alone and very thin.

I know this is a long and rambling story about my cats, but I'm just terribly upset right now.. I wake up all night having cat a dream that he showed up and I was so relieved. It's also agitated more dreams of my other kitties coming home. Then I wake up and can't stop worrying and crying

Please just send good vibes this way, I'm sorry about the ramble.

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#424 of 474 Old 07-25-2008, 05:16 PM

Oh and Kaia started crawling yesterday just over 5 1/2 months which is both exciting and scary for me, I have a lot to do. She does look really funny doing it though, she'd been getting up on her hands and knees for awhile but just face-planting, so she's switched to hands and FEET now, she looks very silly.

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

#425 of 474 Old 07-25-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Juise I remember how I felt when we lost Amy. I hope you find him safe and sound.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#426 of 474 Old 07-25-2008, 05:44 PM

Mamas, just wanted to pop in and say that I will be out of sight for awhile while we move. Should be back early next week but I might not be around for a few days. I am working on my postcards. See you all soon!!

Lauren (33), writer, recovering academic, WOHM to a highly sensitive child (Robin, Feb '08) and mellow little Holly (Jan '10). Newly diagnosed Bipolar I. rolleyes.gif
#427 of 474 Old 07-25-2008, 06:08 PM

on the pinching = yes I do keep nails as short as I can but the reason it is so painful is because he's got a fistful of skin in his hand and is squeezing as hard as he can!

more later, dh is home!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#428 of 474 Old 07-25-2008, 10:22 PM

hi mamas!!

i left off on page 15 so i'll be catching up slowly but surely!! i'm working on the postcards i'm loving everyone's!!

i officially quit work today, it's summer break but i told them i'm not coming back.

i'll be checking in but i just wanted to say hi to you all! they've closed the co-op forums for maintenance and i think it's for the best for me

linnaea said mama the other day. i think it was by accident but whatevs i'm counting it

eh. who needs a signature?
#429 of 474 Old 07-26-2008, 01:47 PM

BBL to read and catch up, but....

Is it possible for a baby to get her top eye teeth first? She woke up in absolute hysterics last night. Crying in such a way that when I turned the light on I expected to see blood. She was inconsolable for like 10 min, I was wondering if we had to go to the hospital, I'd never seen her like that. She's chomping on her hands a lot, and I just noticed how much she reaches them way back. I looked and didn't notice the usual bottom teeth coming in. But I looked around some more and see two little bubbles on her top gums, around where the eye teeth should be. Am I going to have a little vampire baby?

Juise -- our cat ran away 3 weeks ago, a few weeks after we moved here. She didn't even have her collar on, bc, ironically, she had just been at the vet for shots and to get a microchip (which the incompetent military vet couldn't do...actually we wouldn't even let her try since they couldn't even seem to do a vax right on her ). We had her for 9 years since she was a teeny kitten.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#430 of 474 Old 07-26-2008, 02:16 PM

Amy-- some kids get their teeth oddly. I don't remember the order for BooBah's, but I do remember tat for a long time she had three on top and three on the bottom-- central incisors and lateral incisors on opposite sides. : I mean it was ages... she had already been walking for a while when she got the other two. It's a weird thing. So... yeha, it's possible. Just weird.

So yesterday I'm fumbling around the Education forae and I find a thread called, "When does school start for your DC?" I thought... hm. I should probably know that. So I looked it up on Agora's website, and it turns out that school starts three weeks from Monday. : I'm so not there. So... yeah. Time to diminish my online time and get back into the schooling mode. I'm totally tripped out by it. Bean couldn't be more thrilled, BooBah is more persistant than ever about me "doing school" with her, and I am just reeling, wondering what the heck is wrong ith me that I didn't look this up two weeks ago.

It's not a farewell, but I need to slide into another modality of being, and that may be bumpy. I also need to look even more organized than I am, because my niece is supposed to start sixth grade this year and that means attending a school which *horrifies* my mother, sister, and really everyone else with an opinion. So... I may have her too which would increase my workload, but also make life easier in a lot of ways. It'd be more than worth it to me, and Chibi's all in favor... but we'll see.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#431 of 474 Old 07-26-2008, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Amy, Isaac was a vampire baby. It's something like 1 in 5,000 who do get their canines first. You don't want this though: they HURT. The biggest behavioural changes I've seen with any of my kids have always been when canines are coming in
Rynna, we're on day 3 of the summer holidays here Have fun with schooling and stuff!
Carrie, that counts

#432 of 474 Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 PM

Well then that might explain her generalized moaning and whining. Poor baby. She seems pretty miserable. Hopefully the teething tablets will give her some relief!

Rynna, I just realized school starts here in 3 weeks as well. *sigh* I spent almost all of camp season unpacking the house instead of playing with my little girls! I'm rounding up all my curriculum now since well I'm almost out of time LOL. Not that that really matters, it's not like I HAVE to start when they do, but we might as well. I need something to keep me on track. I'm excited, we have some good stuff coming and now that we are in Key West, we're going to study the oceans and sea creatures for the next 2 years instead of 'regular' science.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#433 of 474 Old 07-26-2008, 10:39 PM

My mother is keeping me so busy I haven't had a chance to keep up

We went down to Newport, RI today to meet my sister and her fiance to see where they are getting married in September. Had a nice lunch, did a little driving tour to see the mansions and the waterfront. Very nice place - first time I have been there! Alex was great - it was probably his overall busiest/longest outing.

This morning before we left he rolled from his back to his stomach for the first time! : What a surprise, I was kind of figuring he would skip that since he doesn't really enjoy tummy time. Though, I have to say, he's been handling it better lately. He's also been having fun blowing raspberries with his tongue the past couple of days - spit everywhere! But well worth it to see him grinning while he does it -thoroughly pleased with himself.

Cynthia

Wife to Matt. Mom to Alex (2/8/08). Expecting our second (2/6/12).

#434 of 474 Old 07-26-2008, 11:32 PM

Hi everyone! I've caught up but can't do personals at this time except to give Juise a big cuz I have a kitty too, and would go crazy if he disappeared.

We arrived to my parents place relatively unscathed, although we were both worn from the journey and 3 different planes. DD hasn't been sleeping well, and its been hard. Today she had a melt down and my parents decided to get out of the house so she could be alone with me. I felt so lost and alone, I was wondering where my easy, happy baby had went to. Did I leave her in Oregon? So nothing, as in absolutely nothing was working to calm her down, so finally I put her in the wrap cuz it was the only thing I hadn't tried yet. She calmed down and slept for a couple of hours. Funny thing is that at home, DD won't tolerate the wrap unless I am walking around outside. But twice today I have wrapped her and she has slept and been fine with me sitting and we even took a little nap together in the wrap. Not what I expected at all. But I am glad I have it as an option otherwise I don't know how I would have calmed her down. Everything is so different here for DD, and I know she misses DP. He talks to her on the phone, but it's not the same. We have been here for 2 days now, I am hoping that DD will adjust and be calmer the next few days. I can't do this for 2 weeks if she doesn't.

Well, DD is wiggling and stuff, my typing woke her. So I am gonna go and see what I have to do to keep her happy now. I miss you all, and if anyone has any advice for how to help a LO adjust to new surroundings, please offer.
#435 of 474 Old 07-26-2008, 11:39 PM

Hi ladies, sorry to pop in so late it the game. I am not very good at keeping up on these threads, but I do lurk from time to time, so I though I would say hello. so Hello! I can't believe our LOs are 5 months or more, WT? Noah is pushing up on his arms and, no sign of crawling yet... and no sign of teeth either, I don't remember when the others first started in on the teeth, must not have been too traumatic for us all! On a bummer note, I had to send my mac in , spilled beer in the keyboard while baking! Dh warned me not to keep my laptop where I cook, anyway, it was working fine exept that the screen would blank out from time to time so I sent it in. They told me the repair exceeded the cost of the mac, so they gave me a new one. Great, but where's all my info, my data, the pics of Noahs birth, my pregnant pics, his baby pics for the last four months. I could cry just thinking about it. I know I should have backed up everything, but I never thought I would never get it back. I am trying to be zen about the whole thing, but it's hard. I am going to try to keep up as best I can, but I just wanted to say hi

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

#436 of 474 Old 07-27-2008, 12:53 AM

Hi mamas! Wow, I need to catch up - will post personals when I do so...till then, you know I love you all. :

Things are good here. I haven't been sleeping well so trying to straighten that out - sleeping badly always makes my day flop, you know? We met with dh's family today at a park; Peter went into the pool for a bit and loved it. I caught BIL trying to slip him a bite of banana. : Why do people do that? I would NEVER feed someone else's baby, especially one that hadn't had solid food yet!!

A happy woman
#437 of 474 Old 07-27-2008, 03:51 AM

True Blue &Juise i once had a cat that had never been outside. We were in the middle of moving and she got out the door at the new place, she was gone and had really no clue where she was! She came back a month later when I had lost all hope! It is possible that they will come back.

peace_laughing hope you have a nice time with your parents! She will adjust!

operamommy I hear you on the giving food subject! I dont understand it I wouldnt even give a dog something to eat without asking!

SamuraiMom
sorry about your laptop! I hope you get your pictures back

cwoodard
yea on rolling over! Ashlee liked tummy time a lot more when she could decide when it was!

eilonwy 3 more weeks? Wow! My kids just got off on thursday and only have 6 weeks summer vacation! I hope the weather here geets better soon so they an enjoy it...

Ashlee turned 6 months today!!!:

Nos everything ok with you?
#438 of 474 Old 07-28-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post
Oh and Kaia started crawling yesterday just over 5 1/2 months which is both exciting and scary for me, I have a lot to do. She does look really funny doing it though, she'd been getting up on her hands and knees for awhile but just face-planting, so she's switched to hands and FEET now, she looks very silly.
Jeez! I hope we're still a long time off from crawling- I am so not ready for a mobile baby yet! BTW, I heard that you met my good friend Katie while you were in Ann Arbor! Small world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeylo View Post
Mamas, just wanted to pop in and say that I will be out of sight for awhile while we move. Should be back early next week but I might not be around for a few days. I am working on my postcards. See you all soon!!
Hope the move is going well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
i officially quit work today, it's summer break but i told them i'm not coming back.
Yay for quitting! I'll bet that's a relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
So yesterday I'm fumbling around the Education forae and I find a thread called, "When does school start for your DC?" I thought... hm. I should probably know that. So I looked it up on Agora's website, and it turns out that school starts three weeks from Monday. : I'm so not there. So... yeah. Time to diminish my online time and get back into the schooling mode. I'm totally tripped out by it. Bean couldn't be more thrilled, BooBah is more persistant than ever about me "doing school" with her, and I am just reeling, wondering what the heck is wrong ith me that I didn't look this up two weeks ago.
Oops! Good luck getting ready in time. We actually started 1st grade Enki with Ronan a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to wait until fall because we took a long break after Twyla was born. That's the beauty of homeschooling!

We just got back from a weekend in Northern Michigan. It's so beautiful up there- I'd love to live there. I feel like I should have something else to report, but I don't. Twyla's been so cranky the last week that I have a feeling something big is going to happen soon. My dh had his 30th bday last week, and he got screwed out of his birthday lovin' cuz she was up crying all night. Poor guy.
#439 of 474 Old 07-28-2008, 12:16 PM

Wow Playamama! How exciting! Did they take the news ok?

Gen, hang in there with your DD. Mine would probably have a really rough time being without daddy for too long. I'm sure she will adjust, but as for advice I have none.

Oh SamuraiMom, what a loss of pictures. That's a rough thing to happen.

And all you school-starting mommas, wow, time sure flies! Yeap in a little over a month the DSC will be leaving. But hopefully they will be back sooner rather than later.

Mommas, I think DD really really wants to try something new to consume. This weekend, we were out and about and I thought maybe her gums were hurting her, so I gave her an ice cube tied up in cloth. She LOVED it. I first thought it was for the pain, but yesterday changed my mind.

We were out in the garden (she in the swing, me in the weeds), and when we came in I got a big glass of water. She grabbed it (while I was drinking) pulled it toward her saying AH! (in a rather demanding tone). I let her sip some, but she wanted more. So I thought I'd put a little EBM in a cup for her thinking she'd like the cup experience, and wary of what I've read about giving a BF baby too much water. So she tried at that cup and drank some until she got terribly mad. Screaming and whatnot and then paused, looked at me and screamed the hardest meanest ugliest scream I ever saw (in a baby)! I'm pretty sure where she learned that from.: I was shocked, but I kept at it. I tried a momsicle with her, and I think she was excited about the cold of it, then got pissed off again that it was (I'm assuming here) not something different like water, but some more milk. She screamed and cried more. So I finally put a bit of water in a little cup for her (probably about an ounce). When she finally realized it wasn't milk she calmed down instantly and loved drinking it. She was finally happy with me again.

I really think she's interested in trying something new. I mean of course she grabs at everything, but when we're eating it's different. She only says AH! when she wants to nurse or when we're eating and she tries to grab something. And sometimes she's getting a more demanding tone of voice about it. (Something she learned from me, I guess... ugh gotta tone that down).

But, she's only 5 months as of yesterday (though most people guess she's at least 6), she's not sitting up on her own yet (though she is getting close). I'm pretty darned certain she really wants to try food. Ugh I don't want to rush it, but I'm not sure what else to do. I feel sorta bad for giving her that ice now, but I'm not sure what else will work for her and I figure it's the least of any evils. I'm wondering about buying her some avocados. But I don't know. What to do...

signature currently in transition
#440 of 474 Old 07-28-2008, 02:35 PM

Teeny- Your pedi should be able to give you some direction about solids. Eli started a little cereal around five and half months. It was clear he wanted something-can't blame him the chubby little monkey. My pedi gave me the go ahead since he was meeting all the readiness signs with the exception of sitting up on his own-though he is now.

Juise- Sorry about your cat. It's rough when you lose one no matter how. I'm terribly attached to my two and can't imagine losing them. I had one missing for a week a few years ago and Newton came back about a week later. We have an Olive too! Every one thinks its a strange name for a cat but she's all black-Like a black olive.

Eli had his six month well baby today- he weighs 18 pounds 11.5 ounces and is 27.5 inches long!!!! She said he looks great and will be crawling sooner rather than later-yikes. Not ready for that. Guess I better start baby proofing pronto. He's conked out right now. Guess the dr appointment took a lot out of him. He had a couple shots today. Poor thing .

I have all my postcards addressed! Need to send them with my mail carrier hubby to work.

He was reading some posts the other day over my shoulder (super irratating) and wondered what DH stood for. Of course he was think of something other than Dear Husband. I told him that it might depend on the day what it means. HA HA!

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#441 of 474 Old 07-28-2008, 03:18 PM

Hi all. Thanks for the well wishes. I think I discovered that this trip was just ill timed. DD is teething full force. She is constipated and not chewing on anything except her fingers which she can chew on from the side of her mouth. The other night she was crying so much and the only way she was semi-calm was if I was standing and rocking her. I can only stand for so long... finally she fell asleep out of exhaustion I am sure. So I took the moment to run to the store and get some infant motrin drops (and a bottle of wine for myself ). Get this, I could buy a half ounce of motrin for $6.49 or a full oz that was also dye-free for $8.49... She liked it the first few times, it's some horrid sweet berry taste, but now she screams the whole time I am giving it to her. Poor thing, in a strange place, missing her Papa, teething, getting nasty medicine, not sleeping and only pooping every other day..... I feel kinda like 2 weeks might be too much, but I am still hoping that this week will bring improvements.

Well, she's starting to wake, Moms keyboard is LOUD! Off to quieter portions of the net. Love you all!
#442 of 474 Old 07-29-2008, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
Oops! Good luck getting ready in time. We actually started 1st grade Enki with Ronan a couple of weeks ago. I didn't want to wait until fall because we took a long break after Twyla was born. That's the beauty of homeschooling!
Indeed. Taking inventory seriously, I realized that we needed very little in the way of supplies. As of this moment, all we need are a new zipper binder (for myself; I like to keep track of everything and the one I used last year was stepped on one time too many ) and a handful of primary composition books. I was all tense and worried for nothing. I know, you can't imagine *me* overthinking things, can you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
And all you school-starting mommas, wow, time sure flies! Yeap in a little over a month the DSC will be leaving. But hopefully they will be back sooner rather than later.
I can't believe that I have a first grader. : Seems in some ways as though it was just a few months ago that Bean was starting to talk like a little person, and here we are starting first grade. He couldn't be more excited, though-- He adores cyberschool.

Quote:
Mommas, I think DD really really wants to try something new to consume.
You know how when we were pregnant I was always ranting about following your cravings? Well, if your Nara thinks she's ready for a nibble... give it a shot. Use your common sense, keep an eye on her, and make sure she's either sitting well or she's well propped. As my sister said about What to Expect The First Year: "They were wrong about pregnancy. They were wrong about labor. They were wrong about breastfeeding. What makes you think they're going to be right now?" The point of which is... regardless of what you read where, sometimes the babies know what they want/need. I'd advise againt giving her shrimp scampi or crazy foods with small and/or highly allergenic ingredients, but that's just me. Seriously-- common sense goes a long way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_laughing View Post
So I took the moment to run to the store and get some infant motrin drops (and a bottle of wine for myself ). Get this, I could buy a half ounce of motrin for $6.49 or a full oz that was also dye-free for $8.49...
Are you sure that they were both the concentrated infant drops? Sometimes the different sized bottles are different concentrations. That said... yeah, the full sized bottle is usually A LOT cheaper than the smaller one.

So.. today was a very long day. The good things: Bear is 17 pounds ( on the nose!) and is about 29" tall. : The gastro said that we can start solids slowly, so he had some banana today. I am really hoping that it helps with his reflux. Oh, Bear's dose was upped as well (because he's a big boy now!), so it'll be 3mL when it's mixed up.

I'm really tired though and i think i'm gonna pass out.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#443 of 474 Old 07-29-2008, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Rynna. What are your thoughts on baby rice? I found carrot was also quite calming on a stroppy baby tummy (and it's one of my go-to foods for kids that have been sick but refuse to stop eating.)
Teeny, we went through this with Skye. With baby-led weaning, she can't physically swallow the food if her mouth muscles won't allow her to move the food to the back of her tongue, and so the tongue will push it out again and she won't get anything. There's a lot of defences against choking built into the human body, as well as a lot of defences against allergens. How about starting with finger foods now, and introducing a spoon in a month or two if you want to increase the volume she's eating at a single mealtime?

#444 of 474 Old 07-29-2008, 04:54 AM

Hi Jezzy.

We're doing pretty well. ds1 was home last night and I practically sat on top of him before I noticed and squealed "HOLY POOP!".

Terran still has absolutely no interest in solids, which is fine with me.

Our big exciting news is that we FINALLY managed a back carry after what felt like an eternity of clumsy, scary, bumbling attempts. It finally all clicked the night after....well...er...ah...um...

I bought a Babyhawk.

:

It's used and I got it for half price, but it's still kind of sad moving away from simple, inexpensive carriers that I can make myself or that some other mama can make cheaply enough that anyone can afford them, even married people whose dh's are less than enthusiastic about babywearing.

This will technically be my second Fall without a homeschooler but last year I had Stephen, who was not my child but did come to my home for tutoring while he was enrolled in a home study program with a local charter school and it sure felt like homeschooling with a rent-a-kid.

Part of me wants to pull out my old plan book templates and start keeping careful records of what books i read to my 6 month old and how often we conduct "hands on integrated experiential-based studies of the Archimedes Principle", aka take baths.

I got one postcard out this week and am just about ready to start working on another one. I'm slow.

< /dork >
#445 of 474 Old 07-29-2008, 08:57 AM

NOS Danke schön for the post card!!

I love my mei tai! I am sure you will too. When you are done with it you can sell it too
#446 of 474 Old 07-29-2008, 10:42 AM

I am way behind on my post cards... wnat to make some...

I am behind but I will get htem out!

just uber busy and DH being a pain about getting "free time"...

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
#447 of 474 Old 07-29-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

NOS, my first thought on looking at my babyhawk was "oh, I could have made this. But not this well" Mine is beautiful, and I love it, and I value the effort that was put into its creation. It comes at a cost, yes, but that's OK by me. I'll admit to looking for a Sleepy Nico though :
Oh, and happy baby-sitting I can't believe you sat on Christopher, he's a great hefty healthy lump of a lad.

Lincap, your DH doesn't get free time. He has children

#448 of 474 Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 PM

True Blue - I hope your kitty comes back, too.

BabyBump - That is too funny. Nate and Olive were both named by the daycare kids (there were 6 kittens and 6 older girls) and our Olive is also all black and named so because she's like a black olive I suspect Nate is named after a cute little boy in someone's class

peace_laughing - I'm sorry things are so rough on your visit I hope she gets to feeling better and you can fully enjoy your visit home.

NOS - Glad you're doing well and um, I haven't gotten very far on my cards, either. I figure that's okay as long as I get them done eventually.... ..right? :P I'm hoping I can do well enough that they will be worth the wait :

applecore - I know, too funny, isn't it? And it was so random, I have no idea why I decided to stop and ask her if she made slings. I mean.. she was sitting at her mum's booth with her babe slung, but I'm glad I did Her sun-printing sounds really cool and I'm hoping I can figure out something acceptable to barter with

Teeny - I would definitely be struggling with my decisions about food if Kaia was showing that much interest. Good luck to you!

Thank You to everyone who offered me kitty well-wishes.

Solids - Kaia has really shown no more interest in solids than she has in anything else, she puts *everything* in her mouth. Every once in a while I have put a little boob juice or water in a sigg bottle for her, she drinks the boob juice and the water she just spits out, but really really likes playing with. However, question - yesterday in her morning poo amid all the normal poo goop was a teeny little turd. I was really surprised. I didn't know this could happen with EBF babies.. I've never been away from her, so I know no one slipped her anything. Can anyone tell me what's up?

Oh, and gosh you guys are starting to make me feel like an oppressive tyrant. I know she would enjoy other food, but she doesn't know that yet, and I wanted to push it as close to a year as possible. Am I being overly anal?

Homeschool - Okay, I know it's just a wee bit early to worry about this.. but I really want to homeschool, and DP is not at all sure about it. He has all the stereotypical worries, like if she'll have social issues. Hello? We run a daycare! Or where we'll find friends for her her own age (we have one in the daycare that is about 8 months older than her, but no one else very close.) I insist that there are other ways to find friends than through going to public school. I don't know, anyone have any advice?

On another note, Us - DP's also begun to fret about raising Kaia vegan, which came as a bit of a shock to me. We've been vegan for around 5 years now I think. It came up mildly once before, he was talking about how he was sad about how she'd be missing out on things, like going to get ice cream or going out to pizza. I said those things were only all that great because they're nostalgic and that she'll have other things to be nostalgic about. She could always get a slushy, anyway! He totally agreed then and it hadn't come back up until yesterday. He was worried about when she goes over to play at someone's house Well both of us definitely don't plan to give her meat, and I tried telling him that most people don't really think vegetarian is any less weird, which he agreed to. I said we can always send lunch with her or remind people of the vegan options they probably already feed their kids, like pasta or PB&Js, among other things. I don't really know where I'm going with this.. just being a little stressed at you guys, I guess

Well, Kaia's crawling is getting out of control! She's gotten very speedy very quickly, whew! She's getting to be such a handful She been fighting sleep and naps like CRAZY the last few days. I think it's just because she's too excited about getting around. She has too much to do to waste time on sleep! She went from fighting nursing unless we were in bed nice and quiet when she is tired to refusing to go in the bedroom to nurse because I am not sleepy, mum! (sob, whine) She hasn't had a check-up in months due to a struggle (which we lost) with medicaid concerning them not wanting us to go to our perfect and much-loved holistic-style doctor Because he's an hour and a half away. But weighed her on my parent's grain scale when we were there a week ago and she was 13 lbs. spot on. She so little! But she's got nice chubby rolls and a lot of energy, so I'm not worried. So we need to set one up with some chump doctor around here that isn't going to respect any of our views or decisions like our doctor did Oh well.. I can deal, but it was so nice having a doctor who actually agreed with our choices and had many natural solutions to offer up before he would even bring up drugs. Someday. When we can get off medicaid.

to all and good luck on your schooling adventures.

#449 of 474 Old 07-29-2008, 02:55 PM

A happy woman
#450 of 474 Old 07-29-2008, 03:01 PM

Aww, operamommy I know you said you don't need hugs, but here's a anyway! It is hard keeping up, and I know personally that means a lot of the time either I end up just posting selfishly because either everything's old news or there's just too much for me, or I only end up responding to the people who really seem to need a hug, or I think I might have some productive advice for. I know it seems like when you're just cruisin along you get ignored, but I, for one, always read and enjoy your posts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page