February mamas, it's July! - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-29-2008, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gah...now I'm just kicking myself for posting something so junior high school.

I care about you all, and this has probably got a lot to do with my own self esteem issues. I think I'm going to take a break for a bit. Please ignore my stupid self.

A happy woman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 04:22 PM

I think many people have self-esteem issues long after junior high! I know I do. I think it's okay, it's good that we examine, question, and re-establish ourselves regularly. I think it's a healthy habit that far more people should pick up. I also think it's okay to ask for reassurance without feeling silly. It's a perfectly normal desire. I often resist the urge to ask if anyone gives a &*^% when I don't get a reply, but I know that in my case it's really just because, quite frankly, you guys are the only people I talk to over the age of 10 : And I know I expect too much from such a populous and active board to be as personal. Most posts are always ridiculously long cause I don't have anywhere else to channel it and I often wonder if anyone can stand it Generally if I leave it alone for a while, all of a sudden people respond to something I totally wasn't expecting anyone to notice, or even just one person says something really sweet and I feel better

So before this turns into more about me instead of assuring you, which is what I meant to do, take a break if you really feel like you need it, but know you are wanted and please, please don't feel stupid for being a human being with emotions

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

Old 07-29-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
Rynna. What are your thoughts on baby rice? I found carrot was also quite calming on a stroppy baby tummy (and it's one of my go-to foods for kids that have been sick but refuse to stop eating.)
My thoughts on rice vary with the babies; I think it might help Bear's tummy settle a bit, so he'll certainly get some. I've got issues with carrots; Carrots were Bean's first solid food and they gave him the most amazing case of the poops I've ever seen. I'm a big fan of squash.

Bear loves eating. He's quite orally exploratory, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
We're doing pretty well. ds1 was home last night and I practically sat on top of him before I noticed and squealed "HOLY POOP!".
THere you are! Um.. is that a good holy poop, or a neutral one? In any case, s.

Quote:
I bought a Babyhawk.
I don't even know what that is. : Sounds fun, though. Back carries are nice. I think the reason that they're so difficult for me is that I'm short. I realized yesterday with Bear in the sling that in order to have him high enough to be comfortable for my back, I have to kind of turn one or both of our heads, or keep my head tilted up. He's a tall kiddo with a short mamma.
Quote:
This will technically be my second Fall without a homeschooler but last year I had Stephen, who was not my child but did come to my home for tutoring while he was enrolled in a home study program with a local charter school and it sure felt like homeschooling with a rent-a-kid.

Part of me wants to pull out my old plan book templates and start keeping careful records of what books i read to my 6 month old and how often we conduct "hands on integrated experiential-based studies of the Archimedes Principle..."
I'm looking forward to each new identity as it comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post
I think many people have self-esteem issues long after junior high! I know I do.
: It's taken me the better part of fifteen years to understand, to really grok, that there was nothing wrong with myself in junior high. I didn't see the OP, but..

***Warning: Freakish Baby Behavior Ahead. The following message is in no way, shape or form meant to intimidate, irritate, or piss anyone off. This is not a commentary on anyone else's children, parenting, or lifestyle. This statement is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease, and has not been approved by any regulatory commisions whatsoever.***

Last night Bear stood unassisted for the first time. He got on his knees and, as he often does, pulled his feet up underneath him so that he was on hands and feet. Then he pushed up with his fingertips and he was quite suddenly standing... He looked around for a moment and then fell onto his widdle tush. I was astounded, and truthfully more than a little horrified. He's been chatting up an absolute storm lately, and I know that he's been wanting to walk but I had no idea that he was even remotely capable of standing on his own. He's just getting so very... toddlerish. : My very last baby, on the verge of toddlerhood. I feel a movie musical montage coming on. :

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 07-29-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
NOS Danke schön for the post card!! :
I'm so glad it got there! I was kind of worried and totally admit to fishing for reassurance,

:

It was the first one that came to me and literally the first postcard I have written since breaking up with the long distance thing that never worked out three years ago.

I'm weird that way. Please be patient with me if it takes awhile, because I AM going to send at least one to everybody!

Helen, I am going to try my hand at making Mei Tais at some point, but right now I need to finish this one diaper cover and focus on food preservation for winter.

I love my Babyhawk. It's reversable, with one stunningly beautiful side that looks like my grandmother's Blue Willow china and the other side is also pretty, but not so much so that it will break my heart if I stain it (and let's face it, even if the Blue Willow side doesn't remain pristine for more than another hour or two, it should age nicely and look just fine with poop, beet juice, and bicycle grease on it, or at least better than tie-dye or patchwork would) and the straps are a nice, sturdy dark blue denim that won't show dirt but so much either.

picture

Okay, confession time:

The car has been SO miserable and since Humboldt is such an "ecotopia" with its wide bike lanes and well-maintained paving that lots of locals start trailering 5 and 6 month olds, I went ahead and got Terran's helmet and gave him a tiny taste, no bumpier than a stroller ride, on the sidewalk in front of my house.

He hated it.

To me it may be getting my freedom back, but to him it's just another "car seat". I may try a front carrier like this when he's nine months old of I may just never leave my house again.

The IRL friend posts were making me really want to go out and find some, since I was shocked that my favorite DDC friends have time for more offline friends and even seem a bit lonely for them the way I am. I haven't felt very good about myself since exy stopped paying child support 8 years ago and have slipped into such a reclusive lifestyle, hiding behind this computer, that I might as well be cowering in a bombshelter somewhere.

I want to stop doing that. Seriously. This sociable, gentle, loving little boy has made me seriously reconsider a lifetime of misanthropy.

Terran is such a miracle in so many ways.

ETA: for operamommy, thanks to Rynna for responding to my post so personally and for having the guts to post about Bear's precocious walking and Bean's precocious verbalizing (Terran is a very early talker too) and apologies for hitting the "submit" button before even seeing the last five or more posts! I'm off to pickle a plethora of local organically grown cucumbers and really need to get back to chore wars as this place is a mess again.

Shine my sink? HA!!!!!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 PM

Shine my sink... Yeah, that'll happen.

Ember wants some food. All the food. Her little bird mouth flies open every time we eat or drink anything. She yells at us. It's adorable.
I did give her a chunk of apple and she sucked on it and mouthed it until she flung it to the floor.
I couldn't stand it so this morning she got mushed avocado with mama milk. She absolutely LOVED IT!
I picked up a copy of Super Baby Food. Even dh is reading it.

We've just been out of internet service for a week or so... back now! Well, for a week or so. I haven't had a chance to check my mailbox in a couple weeks. I'm looking forward to getting to it!

I've been thinking about a Babyhawk myself...we also got Ember a Kelty Kids Carrier... she's REALLY loving it! It sure makes longer hikes and chores WAY better than a soft carrier! She likes sitting up so high in the back. I think she thinks it's a ride... she hates the car though.

School: Glad we are unschoolers

Kitties:
I worry about mine non-stop; especially when they aren't "home on time"- living in a camper has really upped those worries.

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 AM

My postcards are in the mail!! I finished them while Eli power napped after the dr yesterday. Hope they all arrive safe and sound to you shortly. The post office even had fun stamps with guava's, pomegrantes, starfruit etc....

Eli's right eye tooth is through. Now if his top tooth would come in the world would be peaceful once again.

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
Old 07-30-2008, 02:01 AM

hey mamas! Trying to get back in the swing of things after our trip! More reading to do but here are a couple thoughts!!

Rynna, I LOVE your "disclosure" And, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm SO glad that it's your LO standing, not mine!! I'm very content to have DD in arms for quite some time still!

Operamommy: Don't see your post...I think you might have taken it off. But I just wanted to say that I love hearing your updates and peeking at your blog from time to time, too. I LOVE : the felt food post on your blog...I kind of want to hire you to make some for my kids!

Jusie, good luck on the vegan thing...its so hard to "share" parenting with DH sometimes, but I do think that our lives are better when he and I make decisions fully together. If this is the way your partnership works too, then I hope that you guys can come to a good place on this issue! Oh, and I have NO idea about the little "turd". This makes no sense to me either!

BB, can't wait to see the postcards! Congrats on the tooth!

NOS, LOVE the pic of Terran in the babyhawk! And, to you for thinking about needing to expand your social life. It's funny how babies change us mamas in so many ways!!

Salt-Phoenix! Congrats on Ember's first meal! Molly is getting closer to this level of readiness. I have been giving her carrot sticks when DS and I eat carrots for lunch, and she LOVES gumming away on them. But, because she's not even 6 mos yet, I haven't given her anything she could actually "eat" yet. I'm pretty sure she'll be ready when the time comes, though!

Helen, hope the visit with your mom was good!

I'll post something about us tomorrow...I need to be in bed...like an hour ago!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:15 AM

NOS I got it yesterday!

eilonwy
yea on bear standing up!! they are growing so fast arent they
Old 07-30-2008, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Rynna, rather you than me. River was standing up holding onto the sofa yesterday and let go.

He looked very shocked, fell to the floor, shrieked with laughter, turned onto his tummy and crawled away You can keep your atypical development, it's what you get for being so bright yourself.

OM I didn't ignore your post, I just have no idea what to say. I don't have a family, really (that's why I have so many kids myself) as both DH and I are only children, so we just roll with it.
NOS, he's just too young. You tried him in a trailer, right? Where he can't see you? Right at the very beginning of the separation anxiety stage? Come on, give him a chance. Try skateboarding with him in his babyhawk instead

Emily The time with mum was great. It's a tough time for us- we were both stressing about the 10th anniversary of my dad's death, but it was nice to spend some time mellowing out. We went down to Avebury (with the stone circle), over to a fantastic kids playground, it was grand

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Part of me wants to pull out my old plan book templates and start keeping careful records of what books i read to my 6 month old and how often we conduct "hands on integrated experiential-based studies of the Archimedes Principle", aka take baths.

Quote:
On another note, Us - DP's also begun to fret about raising Kaia vegan, which came as a bit of a shock to me. We've been vegan for around 5 years now I think. It came up mildly once before, he was talking about how he was sad about how she'd be missing out on things, like going to get ice cream or going out to pizza. I said those things were only all that great because they're nostalgic and that she'll have other things to be nostalgic about. She could always get a slushy, anyway! He totally agreed then and it hadn't come back up until yesterday. He was worried about when she goes over to play at someone's house Well both of us definitely don't plan to give her meat, and I tried telling him that most people don't really think vegetarian is any less weird, which he agreed to. I said we can always send lunch with her or remind people of the vegan options they probably already feed their kids, like pasta or PB&Js, among other things. I don't really know where I'm going with this.. just being a little stressed at you guys, I guess
I'm treading lightly here, because I know food choices are very important to people, and most have very strongly held beliefs. I was vegan when Ronan little, and he was vegan for the first year and a half of his life, and I regret it more than I can possibly express. It has nothing to do with your dh's concerns about missing out on the kinds of things he experienced as a kid, though I do understand that, as my dh had those same feelings. Ronan had very little sugar and no juice, and his teeth are now riddled with cavities at 6 years old. I had never had a cavity in my LIFE until I became vegan. Now I have a mouthful that I can't even afford to take care of. In fact, I don't know a single child that was raised vegan that does not have terrible tooth decay. A good friend of mine also raised one of her sons vegan in the early years, and she is convinced that is why he has broken so many bones so often, as well as terrible tooth problems.

I know that none of this is proof that veganism is unhealthy, but I have such terrible feelings of guilt over the issue that I couldn't just keep quiet. I hope I haven't offended anyone, and I won't bring it up again, but I really wanted to share my experience since I've btdt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy;11809209
[color=Red
***Warning: Freakish Baby Behavior Ahead. The following message is in no way, shape or form meant to intimidate, irritate, or piss anyone off. This is not a commentary on anyone else's children, parenting, or lifestyle. This statement is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease, and has not been approved by any regulatory commisions whatsoever.***[/color]
That is a priceless disclaimer. I second what Helen said- better you than me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
I've been thinking about a Babyhawk myself...we also got Ember a Kelty Kids Carrier... she's REALLY loving it! It sure makes longer hikes and chores WAY better than a soft carrier! She likes sitting up so high in the back. I think she thinks it's a ride... she hates the car though.
We got a Kelty Kids when Ronan was a baby, and rarely used it. We still have it- maybe I should try it out again.

Operamommy, whatever it was that you posted, it must have been important to you at the time, so don't feel bad about sharing it. We all love ya! :

Well, after having lots of women say they didn't want me to come to their births with a baby, I'm finally back into the midwifery apprenticeship! Three women are glad to have me come with Twyla. : I'm so excited to get back at it!

I have about half of the postcards done, so I think I should just send them out and then finish working on the rest.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:42 AM

Raina -- My mw brought her baby to DD1's birth. I didn't mind at all! She wore him for a while then just put him down when DD was about to be born LOL.

Lucy has managed to get on her hands and knees....aaaaah!!!! I have new pics in my blog (finally). She is trying SO HARD to crawl, it's intense to see her determination!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 AM

Juise- re homeschooling..

You have lots of time! Plus socialization will come! We are only beginning to get our thoughts together about it. DS1 will be 3 in November and ALL of his friends are going to preschool... Not us. Is it weird. We always thought of homeschooling but DH was slightly against it because he wanted me to go back to work once DS1 was between 2-3, now with DS1's allergies... that is not possible. Three of DS1 friends (well really I am friends with their moms!) said they were going to homeschool then changed their minds when they realized all the free time they will have once their DCs are in school...

DS1 doesn't have a ton of friends that he sees regularly but he goes to the playground often and sees some kids almost everyday.

I think in some states a homeschooled child has the right to participate in the schools after school activities, clubs and sports. Plus once you get into homeschooling you will probably find other moms in your area/town/next town over that homeschool that you can meet up with for socializing!

OOh and about vegan.. wish we knew some vegan families... I feel they would be more knowledgeable and understanding of DS1 food allergies.

the turd- maybe she ate something on the floor? fuzz, paper?

UGH DS2 woke up early from nap... blah.... more later....

Linda - Mom who will never be afraid to use an Epi-Pen again! Epi-Pens save lives!
Charlie 4 yrs old, Harry 2 yrs old & someone new March 8, 2010!
Old 07-30-2008, 04:43 PM

Well, I'm not going to start a debate about veganism, but my experiences with dd's teeth were different. I'll expand on it if people are interested or I can just PM Juise.

to applecore; we all carry a certain amount of guilt, but I really don't think Ronan's dental problems are your fault and I hope that someday you are at peace with it.

I also need to tread lightly about homeschooling, since anyone who has been active in group activities and outreach to potential new homeschoolers would remind me how many families with six month olds explore the possibility and then go on to choose other options and how hard it is not to let your own ego get involved or take too much time away from your own family to offer help that is neither needed nor wanted.

I will say that after seventeen years in the trenches, i spell whataboutsocialization as one word, giggle uncontrollably whenever another old timer says it, and intend to have it printed on matching T shirts for Terran and I (and dd if she will wear hers out in public with us) as soon as he looks kindergarten age.

I had more problems with TOO MUCH socialization than too little. I expect that it will be much less of an issue if i follow through with unschooling Terran, but i still want to avoid peer dependency and will try to maintain his natural fruiendliness towards adults and older and ypunger children.

ds1 became very frustrated with learning to crawl at about this stage of development so i wanted to pass along a little tip: if you put the palm of your hand against the soles of their feet to give them something to push off against, they can move forward a few inches and get some relief.

ds2 isn't having this problem; mostly i wear him, hold him in my lap, or hang out on the bed, but when i do put him on the floor he just army crawls with no preliminaries or practice at all. he can go wherever he wants on the bed, but doesn't fully understand gravity and needs to be protected from himself.

I am not now nor will I ever be as brave as Rynna when it comes to talking about abnormal development, but her honesty and validation of my own perception of reality has healed wounds that have been festering for 20 years and enabled me to effect8ively parent this new child whose verbal development is even more extreme than dd1's was.

When we are alone together, I figure that it won't do any harm to err on the safe side: I'd far rather make an idiot out of myself by miistaking random babbling for an attempt to communicate than discourage attempts to communicate by dismissing them as meaningless babbling.

If I think I hear a word, my usual tactic if we're alone is to say, "Did you just say (insert word I thought I heard)? You're absolutely right! This (more general term for word, i.e., "animal" for "dog", "plant" for "tree", "road" for "Harris (Street)") IS a (word I thought I heard)! Did you know that (insert relevant or interesting factoid about object or action I thought I heard him name)?"

I tone it down a bit if we have an audience or at least keep my voice lower and leave out the "Did you just say" part.

Both sibs and a lot of friends are starting to hear words too and they squeal
with excitement and say, "Did you hear that? He just said (word)!" so I just calmly respond with an "Uh huh. I heard it."

I love the shock value as the flutter about demanding that I write it down in his baby book and I just act like it's no big deal because it isn't.

I had a very realistic dream the other night that Terran was talking in complex sentences with his little six-month-old voice and asking deep, philosophical questions like his brother used to do as a toddler. It was realistic right down to the rather odd choice of words that verbally precocious children use, which can be so revealing about their perception of language and reality.

What a gift you gave me to let me enjoy this facet of my son instead of being afraid someone would refer to me as "a woman who is so ignorant about child development that she thinks her four month old said mama"

:

Best of luck in navigating life with yet another little "weirdo"; I'll take my talker over your walker any day, but I won't worry about Bear getting hurt, either physically or psyhologically, because I know how experienced you are with this sort of thing.

I so, so, hope that homeschooling works out for Bean,.BooBah, Bella, and Bear.

I was planning on sending my postcards out as I finished them. In all likelihood that will be one at a time. Jezzy's is the only one the postcard muse has sent to me so far, but I have the beginnings of the next idea and I'll know who it is for when I start getting the ink and glue on my hands.

Emily, I'm having the same problem with posting after Terran's down for the night when I should be sleeping. I look forward to hearing how you and Molly are doing whenever you have time to update me and as long as SOMEONE validates the fact that my posts aren't invisible SOME of the time, I'm happy.

You have never been "vanilla" to me and Molly's naming dilemma actually was quite helpful in finding the name Terran is meant to carry and not worrying so much about what people will think.

After posting about Stephen yesterday, I got a wonderful surprise knocking on my door! He got so tall so fast that at first I thought he was standing on a milk crate. He kept me company while I put up 19 pints of dill pickles. We reallly needed the closure, since our tutoring experience ended with an abrupt change in custody as well as educational choice and we never had a chance to say goodbye. It's good to know that Stephen feels I did right by him even though I will always feel that I didn't have enough time to maken the difference in his life I wanted to make.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:14 PM

Hi Mamas!

It is so nice to find you all here! I've missed everyone! I have to admit I think the last time I posted dd was a few weeks old. Since then I've gone back to work and anything besides taking care of dd, pumping and the job have gone out the window!

DD is 17.2 lbs and has two bottom front teeth. She is scooting around on her belly and can get up on hands and knees and rocks back and forth. She has said dada ( a lot) mama (when upset) and poopoo (all the time on her changing table- man, we are in trouble!) She wakes to feed three times a night and takes two 1/2 hour naps during the day- I wish it was a little more!

I always thought I wanted back to back babies but now can't imagine it- is anyone else in the Feb 2008 thinking about ttc again?

Hope all of you and your babies are well! It's good to be back and I hope to keep up with the thread now that I've found you again!

xo
Mj
Old 07-30-2008, 05:18 PM

Well in my last post I said more later but I kinda thought later would be soon er than this so I really don't remember all of what I was going to say.... how about a big big and to all of you, especially those who have been posting lately but I haven't had time to do any personals for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetobemama View Post
its so hard to "share" parenting with DH sometimes, but I do think that our lives are better when he and I make decisions fully together. If this is the way your partnership works too, then I hope that you guys can come to a good place on this issue! Oh, and I have NO idea about the little "turd". This makes no sense to me either!
We have this issue at my house too. I have definite ideas about child raising and sometimes dh just doesn't measure up... I'm trying to let it go and let him be the parent he is and at the same time letting him know why I do things the way I do. Part of it is my own fear of looking stupid or thought to be stupid, caring too much about what someone else thinks to the detriment of my own thought and knowledge about what's right.... You'd think I'd be over it already at 31 but still working on it! That said, I love my dh to death and have seen him grow and blossom (can a guy do that? ) as a father soooo much in the last few months.

And the little turd... Jackson's poo has definitely been different lately. It looks more like regular poo in the toilet, in that it's not so liquidy and you can see the intestine shape (was that TMI ). He's EBF too so I don't know what it could be, except I have been slacking on the water lately, what about you?

NOS, I love that pic of Terran in the babyhawk. He is a little heartbreaker!

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
Old 07-30-2008, 05:58 PM

Just coming up for air and popping in to say "hi" - I haven't read more than the current page but it's nice to pop in and do a quick reconnect with everyone. Still firmly in the grips of a situational depression and it sucks big time because there isn't a pill or supplement that can fix it, just time (andaybe full-time help). Alex only gained 19oz the past two months but he did grow 1.25" - the ped is not overly concerned since teething, reflux meds, and a small bug probably contributed. We go back in a month for a weight check. I'm upping my water intake and starting the fenugreek/blessed thistle regimen to see if I can give my supply a boost and see if that helps. He still has a goodly tongue thrust so between that and the poor weight gain solids are put off for a bit longer.

Hopefully I'll be able to check in again soon - it's so hard to find the spare time to post and typing things one-handed is a huge pain.

s to everyone who need them and lots of to all the babes out there!

TTFN!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Helen, I am going to try my hand at making Mei Tais at some point, but right now I need to finish this one diaper cover and focus on food preservation for winter.
I desperately want to grow and can my own food. *sigh* We've got to get the heck out of here.

Quote:
The IRL friend posts were making me really want to go out and find some, since I was shocked that my favorite DDC friends have time for more offline friends and even seem a bit lonely for them the way I am. I haven't felt very good about myself since exy stopped paying child support 8 years ago and have slipped into such a reclusive lifestyle, hiding behind this computer, that I might as well be cowering in a bombshelter somewhere.

I want to stop doing that. Seriously. This sociable, gentle, loving little boy has made me seriously reconsider a lifetime of misanthropy.
BeanBean was the reason I learned that I'm not actually an intravert. I don't regret my years of misanthropy, though; They've given me the strength to walk proud as the freak I am today! These days I only hate myself when I'm anemic, and I only hate other people when they make me scream to get their attention, rather than listening while I speak and before I get hysterical. Oh, and when I'm anemic, if I can summon the energy. Self-loathing requires a lot less energy than loathing others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetobemama View Post
Rynna, I LOVE your "disclosure" And, don't take this the wrong way, but I'm SO glad that it's your LO standing, not mine!! I'm very content to have DD in arms for quite some time still!
Like I said...I was more than a little horrified. He hasn't repeated the stunt (he's only held on to things) but... : I was kind of hoping that the talking meant that he wouldn't do the physical stuff quite so early. I'm still holding my breath. :fingerx: Bella wasn't even crawling at this age and she was so much easier to deal with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
You can keep your atypical development, it's what you get for being so bright yourself.
I do like them most of the time. They're my little sin cookies. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
I'm treading lightly here, because I know food choices are very important to people, and most have very strongly held beliefs. I was vegan when Ronan little, and he was vegan for the first year and a half of his life, and I regret it more than I can possibly express.
I deeply regret my last flirtation with veganism just before I got pregnant with BooBah; I'm fairly confident that it's responsible for her kidney problems today. : That said, I think that some people could probably make it work. The trouble is that diet, like anything else, can't possibly apply to *everyone* else. My body doesn't assimilate most vitamin tablets well, so taking a B-complex wasn't nearly enough for me. I won't tell anyone that they need to drink cow's milk, but if your body (or your kids') don't have other sources of the nutrients they need for healthy teeth and bones, other sources which their bodies can actually use... well, yeah, there are gonna be problems.

Quote:
I also need to tread lightly about homeschooling, since anyone who has been active in group activities and outreach to potential new homeschoolers would remind me how many families with six month olds explore the possibility and then go on to choose other options and how hard it is not to let your own ego get involved or take too much time away from your own family to offer help that is neither needed nor wanted.
The funniest socialization story: When Chibi was in second grade, I homeschooled her. One lovely early spring day, I took all the kiddos (then, with Chibi, it was a grand total of three : ) to the state park to play and explore a bit. The kids found a man and his daughter, who were about to go fishing. Chibi ran up first, introduced herself, and just started chatting. Bean got there behind her, and I was bringing up the rear with BooBah in the sling. The fellow said, "You guys picked a great day to play hookie!" and I told him that we were homeschooling. He looked at me and said, "Really? How's her socialization?" I blinked once and asked, "Why, do you think she has a problem?" Chibi was chatting animatedly with his daughter, telling the younger child all about the frog she'd found by the lake. He said it was rude to answer a question with a question, but he got the point. (I had to tell him that I was 27 years old before he stopped being so condescending. : ) I just couldn't get over it-- the kid was as sociable as she'd ever been, clearly nothing to worry about.

Quote:
I am not now nor will I ever be as brave as Rynna when it comes to talking about abnormal development, but her honesty and validation of my own perception of reality has healed wounds that have been festering for 20 years and enabled me to effect8ively parent this new child whose verbal development is even more extreme than dd1's was.
Aww, thanks! In really fun news: Mike won a small videocamera at work! We just need to get a memory card for it, but once we do I can load videos of the weird babies!! I know, I know... a six or seven month old saying "mama" or "brudder" is not nearly as impressive or strange as a one or two month old, but it's something. May be a couple more weeks... we'll see.

Quote:
When we are alone together, I figure that it won't do any harm to err on the safe side: I'd far rather make an idiot out of myself by miistaking random babbling for an attempt to communicate than discourage attempts to communicate by dismissing them as meaningless babbling.

If I think I hear a word, my usual tactic if we're alone is to say, "Did you just say (insert word I thought I heard)? You're absolutely right! This (more general term for word, i.e., "animal" for "dog", "plant" for "tree", "road" for "Harris (Street)") IS a (word I thought I heard)! Did you know that (insert relevant or interesting factoid about object or action I thought I heard him name)?"
The family's stock responses to baby babbles are, "You have so much to say!", "Oh really?" and "Tell me all about it!" They work well in public without dismissing the baby's efforts or making other people feel badly. Babies love it when you repeat what they said back to them as well, even when it's "just" "waba laba" or some such. They just get so excited.

Quote:
Both sibs and a lot of friends are starting to hear words too and they squeal with excitement and say, "Did you hear that? He just said (word)!" so I just calmly respond with an "Uh huh. I heard it."
: Being the fourth baby, even the ILs aren't remotely surprised by anything Bear does. My family wasn't too futzed even about Bean; After all, Chibi sounded like a mini-adult by the time she was 15 months old, and she wasn't the first either. The most shocking thing Bear has done so far is to break the 50th percentile for both hieght and weight. :

Quote:
What a gift you gave me to let me enjoy this facet of my son instead of being afraid someone would refer to me as "a woman who is so ignorant about child development that she thinks her four month old said mama"
: :

Quote:
Best of luck in navigating life with yet another little "weirdo"; I'll take my talker over your walker any day, but I won't worry about Bear getting hurt, either physically or psyhologically, because I know how experienced you are with this sort of thing.
Experienced enough to know that I need to take breaks from time to time.

Quote:
I so, so, hope that homeschooling works out for Bean,.BooBah, Bella, and Bear.
I'm not sure how it will work for the other three, but Bean's having a blast with cyberschool. I have a feeling that BooBah will need to unschool. Bella... well, we'll see. Bear will probably be more like Bean; He's already to physically active for me to imagine him wanting to sit still at five. I don't know, though. They're all different, and I'm trying to keep an open mind. I think there's a problem with people who become obsessed with supporting a cause, rather than remembering the reasons for it in the first place. I'm very much in favor of homeschooling, but not for it's own sake-- because I think that it's going to be the right choice for some families, some children, and they should be absolutely supported in it. And, you know, because I HATED school.

And that's my little soapbox speech for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaj View Post
I always thought I wanted back to back babies but now can't imagine it- is anyone else in the Feb 2008 thinking about ttc again?
: Not for all the tea in China, my love.

That said, I already have back-to-back babies, and BooBah is actually 19.5 months younger than BeanBean. My kids are 5.5, 4, 2, and 6 months old... and I'm finished. I"m glad for it: The "parenting infants and toddlers" stage is fun, but so is moving on. The one thing I'd caution you about is losing your milk-- it really does happen, even if you have an obscene amount, and it can be really awful for the older kid. I felt SO guilty and depressed when it happened during my second pregnancy, as Bean was not ready for more solid food than he was getting. It was *awful*. I wouldn't want anyone to go through that, you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecat View Post
And the little turd... Jackson's poo has definitely been different lately. It looks more like regular poo in the toilet, in that it's not so liquidy and you can see the intestine shape (was that TMI ). He's EBF too so I don't know what it could be, except I have been slacking on the water lately, what about you?
Don't you love the way poop becomes so important when you have a kid? All of it's permutations... : Poopy permutations! I'm such a dorky mama! :

Quote:
Originally Posted by nausicaamom View Post
Just coming up for air and popping in to say "hi" - I haven't read more than the current page but it's nice to pop in and do a quick reconnect with everyone. Still firmly in the grips of a situational depression and it sucks big time because there isn't a pill or supplement that can fix it, just time (andaybe full-time help).
: Doesn't fix the depression, but keeping up with your own nutrition really helps. I'm still working on my own issues, so... just :

*~*~*

Tomorrow I'm taking the kids to my mom's house and getting ready for Body Tribal. I desperately need the break, I'm looking forward to it so much. I hope to come back refreshed and ready to begin school with the boy (he and BooBah have been harassing me about not doing enough schoolwork with them ).

Oh! And I have to finish writing my article for the calendar. So strange- I had a dream while I was there last that a friend I haven't seen in more than ten years showed up in the office with a copy of the calendar in his hand; He was looking for the author of a particular article (me). I woke up thinking, "I wonder how you get to write for the calendar," but I kind of shoved it to the back of my mind, because I have lots to do already. About four hours later, I ran into someone who said, "I'm looking for people to write for the calendar, are you interested?" Um, well, when the spirits speak, who am I not to answer? Besides, I like to type. I've got opinions about everything and I never shut up. : So I'm writing an essay on responsibility to the next generation/s. I've decided to break it into five parts (heart, soul, body, mind, spirit) because I don't know how long it's supposed to be; that way, it can be one small article, or two or three or... well, you get the idea. Crazy, huh?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Last night Bear stood unassisted for the first time.
Hurray Bear! And I guess I feel like I need to add, while I ed at the disclaimer, I really hope that it isn't really necessary in our DDC. I've found all the women here to be wonderful, supportive, and celebratory of our babies! : We all know babies do things at different rates (..right?) and I think it's fantastic! I love hearing about all their accomplishments, even when they are ones DD is far from

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBump View Post
Eli's right eye tooth is through. Now if his top tooth would come in the world would be peaceful once again.
Woot! One down! I hope you get that peace soon! Kaia's had her two lower canine ones rise and fall a few times, but they don't seem too close to coming out, and I'm hoping to put that off as long as possible

applecore - I am not offended easily where offense is not meant I am not looking for everyone to agree with me to make me feel better, and I appreciate your input. Also, I hope it works the other way round, too I don't really understand, especially with the little sugar and no juice, why you had such problems. I feel very confident in our diet, I guess. A couple years ago I had all my levels tested just to make sure I was doing okay on the vegan diet and everything was perfect except for my cholesterol being slightly low, but the doc said he wouldn't worry about that And I eat WAY better now. I do think we get more calcium than most omnivores I'm sorry you feel guilt over the issue and am inclined to agree that it probably wasn't your fault. When I was little (and ate a "normal" healthy diet) I had a bunch of cavities, and at the time my dentist said that with the nature of my cavities it probably wasn't my fault or preventable, that some people just have genetic weak spots in their teeth and it will happen

DP hasn't been to the dentist in 15 years and has no issues whatsoever. I *have* been to the dentist more recently, I had to have a root canal And being the silly bugger that I am I got it without anything at all, because I was in the middle of a 3-day fast and didn't want to start over I have a cavity now that I'd really like to get seen to when I can, but with my history and especially what with DP having had the exact same diet as myself since we got together, with the exception that he drinks soda-pop, I don't put it down to the vegan diet, honestly.

Please feel free to argue any of these points with me without fear Or PM if you'd be more comfortable that way, I do really value your opinion.

Also - : on you getting to get back to the MWing! How exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Lucy has managed to get on her hands and knees....aaaaah!!!! I have new pics in my blog (finally). She is trying SO HARD to crawl, it's intense to see her determination!
Woot for Lucy and your children are beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincap View Post
I think in some states a homeschooled child has the right to participate in the schools after school activities, clubs and sports. Plus once you get into homeschooling you will probably find other moms in your area/town/next town over that homeschool that you can meet up with for socializing!

OOh and about vegan.. wish we knew some vegan families... I feel they would be more knowledgeable and understanding of DS1 food allergies.

the turd- maybe she ate something on the floor? fuzz, paper?
I think this is true for our state? I'm not totally sure, maybe applecore can fill me in or my lazy bum could look it up, hehe. I did feel this way when you were talking about having problems having friends who would respect / really care about your allergy problems Maybe it is because I have my food choices. I was a-boil at how it seems like it should be so easy for them! I mean, you do it all the time, come on!! And as for the turd, maybe I'm just being silly but I really don't feel like she could have eaten something off the floor.. I always put her quilt down for her to lay on and keep a pretty good eye on her, I don't know. Also, it seems like it was bigger than something like this should produce.

Quote:
Well, I'm not going to start a debate about veganism, but my experiences with dd's teeth were different. I'll expand on it if people are interested or I can just PM Juise.
Ooooh now you have me so curious!

Quote:
Can I request that you not feel this way about me? Not about the taking too much time away from your own family, of course But the advice for me is definitely wanted and the decision fairly solid. I really don't know all too much about it, though, and would really like to learn. I prefer from people I can actually converse with over reading documents when possible And the "whataboutsocialization" - I ed! And - "i still want to avoid peer dependency and will try to maintain his natural friendliness towards adults and older and younger children." DP and I both found this very interesting and agreeable. I kind of feel like public schools build a lot of barriers.

Quote:
and

And on the talking - another Kaia also has words, and *has* had them, I don't know if I've ever said? But especially with all the daycare kids around all the time I've had the luck of having a lot of validation. They all have known she has many words, so that is probably why I am not at all shy about it, hehe.

Quote:
Hi Mamas!
Welcome back!

Quote:
Unfortunately this very well may be the case.. I am so bad at drinking enough water. I really need to work on that. I have never had a milk problem, unless you count still having far too much, which often seems like a problem, although the preferable of the two, so I've never been too worried about it. Although I know I should be. I will start trying harder.

nausicaamom - So glad to hear from you, I have been wondering about you. A big and : your way, I really hope things start looking up for you very, very soon. Kaia's not gaining fast either, but I think it's okay. Much love to you.

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

Old 07-30-2008, 11:21 PM

wow lots going on...
kittys missing, moving, new carriers, walkers, talkers, new foods, and school starting...we sure do live busy lives. Can't wait to see how it goes when the older ones start school, or homeschool.

to all!

Henry is on cereal. we went to oatmeal cereal, I bought one that has probiotics in it...cool stuff. He has had some peas and some avocado seems to like it. I am thinking about getting some of that frozen baby food that is also organic. He only has about 1 Tbsp at night when we get home...kinda like dinner.
He also likes his sippy cup and sorta likes water. He has been working on holding the cup, the other day he tried to use his fee too

He is doing well in school, he is super popular and is always in a good mood. He doesn't sleep much but he seems ok with it.
We are working on him sleeping on his back, since that is how he has to sleep at school.
He is doing better sitting up alone, and he is trying to hold his own bottle.

Things have been getting a little easier, still not enough timein the day. With school and work...man! I am **** fighting off something but Henry seems to be better.

Question...he has had a couple of green runny poops at school, he does not have them at home...The only difference I see is the little bit of formula he gets.... could that be it? any ideas?

well gotta run...back to school.

Allyn birthmom to S 3/12/03, placed in open adoption 4/06, married to W 6/22/07, mama to H 2/5/08, mama to M 8/26/12.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Our big exciting news is that we FINALLY managed a back carry after what felt like an eternity of clumsy, scary, bumbling attempts. It finally all clicked the night after....well...er...ah...um...

I bought a Babyhawk.
I've seen these advertised and they look really cute - though not half as gorgeous as you and your babe . I found an Israeli soft carrier for carrying DS on my back and it is FANTASTIC! Getting so much more done now:

Quote:
I think many people have self-esteem issues long after junior high! I know I do. I think it's okay, it's good that we examine, question, and re-establish ourselves regularly. I think it's a healthy habit that far more people should pick up. I also think it's okay to ask for reassurance without feeling silly. It's a perfectly normal desire.
So well said! This is something that I am dealing with in rather an intense way at the moment - how very invisible I can feel and how this can make me more irate than pretty much anything - OK sleep deprivation does that to me as well, but I get so incredibly hurt when I feel that I as a person in my own right am not heard/seen.
OM, to you. I never got to read your post. I am sorry you are having a tough time

Quote:
Last night Bear stood unassisted for the first time.
: That has happened quickly!

Quote:
I'm off to pickle a plethora of local organically grown cucumbers and really need to get back to chore wars as this place is a mess again.
Pickled cucumbers - my DH loves them - and his grandmothers recipe is not working for us... do you do anything special?

BabyBump - I hear you on teething hell - although Hillel has yet to push a tooth through - it is the only explanation I can think of for the sporadic screaming that happens and the general grouchiness

Quote:
Most definitely not yet - can't imagine a more crazy thing to do.... but that's just me

Quote:
I have definite ideas about child raising and sometimes dh just doesn't measure up... I'm trying to let it go and let him be the parent he is and at the same time letting him know why I do things the way I do. Part of it is my own fear of looking stupid or thought to be stupid, caring too much about what someone else thinks to the detriment of my own thought and knowledge about what's right.... You'd think I'd be over it already at 31 but still working on it! That said, I love my dh to death and have seen him grow and blossom (can a guy do that? ) as a father soooo much in the last few months.
I totally resonated with this.... DH and I don't see eye to eye on many things, mostly because I care and have read up and he doesn't have the time and is frustrated that I have so many reasons - he's a more intuitive kind of guy and really does not like having 'research' put into the equation. A bit tough when I am trying to make the best decision and include him in decisions that affect Hillel... not always easy

Quote:
I think there's a problem with people who become obsessed with supporting a cause, rather than remembering the reasons for it in the first place. I'm very much in favor of homeschooling, but not for it's own sake-- because I think that it's going to be the right choice for some families, some children, and they should be absolutely supported in it. And, you know, because I HATED school.
Just good to remember when committing to 'causes' in general. Home-schooling is not something I ever thought seriously about until I became a mum and thought about the horrors of public school here in Israel and not many other options that would work - but still have to look into it more.... DH is rather apprehensive about this, but I think it could work for us... got some time to go though. In the mean time it's great to read about other families that it is working for and the reasons why.

So, I am hoping I got everyone - although I am sure I haven't... this post has taken me the whole day to do.... Hillel is just not sleeping properly day or night resulting in me seriously loosing my marbles at times and definitely not having the time to keep up with much... Hugs to all the mama's

Megan, mama to her little boy (Feb2008) and introducing our little girl (Dec 2010)
Old 07-31-2008, 04:35 PM

Hey everyone

I'm not even going to try to catch up. I"ve checked in and lurked but I'm usually and not able to type much. I can't believe our babies are *standing* already! Yikes! Where is that jaw dropping smile when you need it?

Avraham Tzvi is doing pretty well. He's a pretty easy baby (I'm sure he'll go through a difficult time now becuase I said that ). His biggest problem is he's #4 so he has to get woken up and toted around a fair amount, but he's good natured about it (usually). The child *loves* tummy time and is working on crawling. His muscle tone is a bit low though (esp. considering the fact that he's on his tummy all the time)

Some new pics here. The big girl is my friend's dd. The others are all mine

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 08-01-2008, 06:53 AM

We went to Munich yesterday and re-newed the kids passports and got Ashlee an american birth certificate and a passport! I am glad that is done but we were in the car for 6 hours Ash was really good.

Now she is half american!!!

We had our 6 mo. well baby check up. She weighs 15.5 lbs. which is average over here. She is a petit little one. The Dr. said not to start her on solids til we are back from our vacation. Which is fine with me!

We are leaving for Croatia today for a vacation. I am going to miss you guys!
Old 08-01-2008, 06:58 AM

Heather ( Babybump ) Thank you for the post card! I love the colors!
Old 08-01-2008, 09:37 AM

I started a New Thread. Happy August, ladies! :

User Tag List