February mamas, it's July! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 474 Old 07-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
NOS, that those three pictures are the most precious ones ever- that beautiful wedding ring quilt in the background of Chris's baby picture, and his big boy picture, and the picture of his sibling. I love that (and I'm going to get going on Lizard Ridge again for my lot) Is it family-made?
No, unfortunately it was made in China by a sweatshop worker who had no concept of its symbolic significance to the ignorant 30 year old who bought it for a divorce present for herself. It's the same pattern and very reminiscent of the wedding ring quilt my great-grandmother made which I haven't inherited yet, and considering how deeply loved and respected I am by the surviving members of my family (NOT!!!!) I doubt if I ever will.

This is the afghan that saved my sanity during my brief but unfortunate marriage. It took me five years to finish it, with my ex whining all the time and then ultimately saying "So how are you going to sell it now that it's done? Do you really think anyone would pay fifty bucks for it or are you only going to try to get twenty-five?"

I've never seen anything like it before. My beloved Gran made the first one and came up with the design as a way to use up little scraps of yarn she had lying around the house. It's made up of knitted squares, each one of which has a different crewel work design embroidered on it, and then when she had enough, she would crochet them together.

She made several of them in her lifetime, each one more gorgeous than the last. I was fortunate enough to wind up with her first because she gave it to her daughter in law who disliked her and was thrilled to get it out of her house.

My own knock-off contains a few squares Gran made for an afghan she never finished. She did know that I was working on mine and was thrilled that I wanted to make a family tradition out of her frugal masterpiece, but she dies before it was finished. I kihnd of sped things up after the funeral so that it could be a memorial, to her.

Helen, Playamama, and Juise, I'm afraid that I don't have any ideas about how to make rl friends either, since I don't have any, but wow, if I did I would want them to be just like you.

#242 of 474 Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

right back atcha

Haircut pictures...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#243 of 474 Old 07-13-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincap View Post
Hey Ladies!

We are leaving in a few hours for vacation for the week. We will have no internet while on vacation for the week.. I will check back in when we get home!

HUGS!
Have a great vacation!

Cynthia

Wife to Matt. Mom to Alex (2/8/08). Expecting our second (2/6/12).

#244 of 474 Old 07-13-2008, 06:50 PM

NOS - I love that afghan! I've never seen anything like it. And your UAV XH talking bad about its worth .... he obviously didn't have a clue, even if the monetary value could never equal the sentimental value. I think you are very talented and patient to use such detail.

Helen - LOVE THE HAIRCUT!!! OMG! It makes you look young, like energetic and less tired. It suits you well, congrats on getting a good haircut!

NOS, Helen, Playa & Juise - I am in the same place with RL friends. I have them, but not where I live. I meet women here, but just haven't met the ones that I "click" with, ykwim? I wish we could all live close to each other and be a big rowdy bunch of mama's raising ruckus about raising children

DD's napping. Yesterday the 3 of us went to the park for a little picnic. : There are tourists all over this time of year, but most of them are too busy walking to stop and chill out in the shade... always somewhere to hurry off to while they try to squeeze every last bit of fun out of their 2 weeks off. We watched a small girl and her father feed one of the park deer, as in the deer gained enough confidence to actually take food out of hand. Nothing like keeping the wildlife wild . But we had a good time, mostly absorbed in our own little 5x5 space on the blanket playing with DD and taking pictures. Last night was a little weird though. Lately, like the past few weeks, DD has had episodes of waking within and hour or 2 of being in bed screaming not hungry, just needing comfort. So we comfort her back to sleep and things are good. She'll wake up a few hours later ready to eat then sleep more. This doesn't happen every night either. So last night DD woke screaming (its like she is scared or hurt ) and we both woke to comfort her. Then DP says that "we can't take her out in public so much, it's not good to get too many people looking at her saying how beautiful she is. Someone put the evil eye on her." Yes, this sounds strange unless you are Indian. So then he starts asking if I have black eye liner, in India (kajal) it is used to ward off evil eye. No, I only have brown eyeliner, black is too dark for me. He is really concerned and asks me about the eyeliner in my sleepy stupor more than once. DD calms and goes back to sleep and so do we. But it upset me, just having the thought that someone could look at DD and have a bad thought about her and it could harm her somehow. Like how could anyone see her and feel anything other than joy? Who could we have possibly encountered that might have done that? So today, in place of black eye liner, I am using ash from incense behind her ears to protect her from further harm. Funny too, the cure for evil eye once cast upon you is to heat chili peppers until they are really hot, as in smoking about to burn, then use the smoke to purify the person. We aren't doing that cuz DP says its too stinky. I know this may sound way too superstitious for some. I totally believe that our thoughts impact our world in a very deep and significant way that is only now being rediscovered so I can't rule it out that something like evil eye can impact us, yet I don't want to believe that we are so vulnerable. Shouldn't a mother be able to protect their child(ren) from such things?

I uploaded some photos from yesterday, this is a public album, so feel free to browse.... http://picasaweb.google.com/Geneviev...kshmiUpdates02
#245 of 474 Old 07-13-2008, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_laughing View Post
Then DP says that "we can't take her out in public so much, it's not good to get too many people looking at her saying how beautiful she is. Someone put the evil eye on her." Yes, this sounds strange unless you are Indian. So then he starts asking if I have black eye liner, in India (kajal) it is used to ward off evil eye.
: Yeah, not really; It doesn't sound strange at all to me. I'm not Indian, but Bear's still got a red ribbon on his carseat to deter the evil eye. When BeanBean came home, my best friend came to visit me and I asked him to take me to AC Moore. "Why? Does it have to be right now?" "I need red ribbon." "Get in the car." I know, I know-- I have this entirely scientific, logically-oriented mind, but I'm also incredibly superstitious. It seems like a weird dichotomy to most people, but I've met more than one ubergeek who thinks the way I do. So glad I'm not the only superstitious freak in the bunch.

Still just scanning briefly, I'm afraid. Back to the grind.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#246 of 474 Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 PM

peace, your DD is beautiful, love the pictures!

Cynthia

#247 of 474 Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
right back atcha

Haircut pictures...
beautiful!!!! :
#248 of 474 Old 07-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Dea

NOS that afghan is amazing! I've never seen anything like it. I was looking at it and thinking is was crewel, but not sure how, then I read what you wrote and I was so pleased that I knew that. I've wanted to learn crewel for a while, this motivates me!

Flapjack, you're so pretty!

peace_laughing, OMG she's adorable. Her eyes are so captivating!

What pretty babies we all have!

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#249 of 474 Old 07-13-2008, 10:30 PM

Juise, sorry your MIL is so hard on you. IL relations can be so tough.

cicely_m, Well I certainly remember you- I was your 3rd Trimester swap buddy! :

Lincap, woo-woo, you sexy thing!

Lauren, ditto to what Juise said about the window of opportunity. Go for it now! It's such a great way to deepen your relationship, IMO.

Helen, you look great! And I like your glasses, even if you don't. :nana:

NOS, that is a beautiful and unique afghan.

Gen, ugh on the ovarian cysts, but at least the mystery is solved! Hopefully it will be an isolated event.

My sister was over today, and mentioned that since giving birth, she's had vaginal pain. Her baby is about 6 weeks old now. She said it feels like there is a lot of pressure, and like there is something "in there." So I gave her a mirror and a picture of what a cystocele/rectocele looks like and sent her to the bathroom. It looks like she is also experiencing some pelvic organ prolapse. What are the chances of two sisters both having POP, I wonder?! At least mine isn't painful. I told her to call her midwife tomorrow. Sheesh, she JUST stopped having breastfeeding issues, and now this. It's like she's having the same problem on top of problem situation that I had after birth. I hope this will be something that resolves itself at least enough that she won't be in pain.

And as to making friends, I haven't had that problem here. In fact, I'm starting to wonder how to GET RID of a friend. I'm sure that sounds terrible, but I have been having issues with this person for some time, and I'm just getting to the breaking point. She will call me every day or two and spend an hour talking only about herself, and never ask how I'm doing. And then if I try to interject anything about my life, she pretty much acts disinterested and changes the subject back to her. The most I'll get much of the time is a "that sucks" or a "cool." It's pretty obvious that she has no desire to make our friendship a two way street, she's just unloading her crap on me. : I don't know what to do. I thought about just telling her that her lack of interest in my life is very bothersome, but then I feel like she'd just start pretending to care, when she's really just waiting for her turn to speak. Ugh.

I did have a really nice night with a friend last night. We went out for a few glasses of wine after Twyla fell asleep. It was so nice to have an adult conversation over some drinks. I actually felt like something other than just a mom. Twyla woke shortly before I got home, but didn't even fuss. She just hung out with Daddy until I got there. She must have known I needed a little break.
#250 of 474 Old 07-14-2008, 12:08 AM

I tried my best to catch up on everyone after being off for a couple days.

Lincap You said I was brave for running a 5K. You are wwwwwwwaaaayyyyy more brave for letting someone down there with wax! Hope the hubby was surprised.

flapjack Love the hair! I got mine cut a couple months ago and don't regret it.

Gen Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. Cysts. Yuck.

Everyone else hi and hope everything is going good.

We went to the zoo today since the weather was beautiful here. The zoo in Madison, WI is free and the perfect size for kids so it was worth the gas money.

I worked on my cards tonight. They need something to jazz them up so I'll be spending my lunch at Joann's tomorrow!

I'm jealous of everyone's vacations! We decided to plunge money into the house and replace the defunct central air unit and put in a new efficent furnace. Ours was at least 25 years old. Can't wait to see what happen with our gas bill with a better furnace. The central air will be nice when it's a bazillion degrees out and humid as we get little to no breeze. We turn into horrid people when it's hot. I definately don't feel the need to have it on all the time like one of my co-workers. Plus both are energy star rated so we can take them on our taxes next year. Vacation next year for sure.

I better go stuff some diapers for tomorrow.

Heather-Mom to Kendall Elizabeth 11/24/00 :. Eli James 01/28/08 :nana:, and Quinn Erin 05/03/09 :
#251 of 474 Old 07-14-2008, 12:43 AM

Okay, gonna try to post again. Is it just me or does MDC seem to be up to the old tricks again of taking forever to load pages?!?

Gen, sorry to hear about the ovarian cysts, but at least you know the culprit.

Carrie, I am guilty of taking my babies out of their carseats to nurse too, but usually only in traffic jams. DH has a fit. I have learned how to nurse them while they are still in their carseats, you really have to be able to strech the ole boob out though!

Linda, hope you have a great vacation (where are you going?) and hope DH is surprised with your new statement!

Helen, I too love you hair, it is super cute! I am sure you will find it much easier to manage and it does make you look younger and spunky!

How to make friends...well, I have a small handful of really close friends and lots of aquaintences. I am very shy and I think I come off as being snobish, but it is truly shyness. Once I spark up a conversation with other moms things seem to go pretty well, but I agree it is tricky to take it to the next level of getting together. I think asking to go out to lunch is a great idea, I would certainly love to get asked to go out to lunch! I have been trying to get more involved in my son's school, DH and I are going to be cub scout leaders this year. I am hoping it is fun for him, but also a way for us to make friends...I would really like to make friends with other couples so we can do stuff and go to parties etc.

Heather, I love your quilt too. I have an old quilt that was started by my Great Gma, it is made out of flour sacks...from during the depression. It is not the greatest combo of colors, but I love how old it is...also it was finished by me and my gram working together. Yours has such beauty and detail though, wow!

Babybump, the Madison zoo, what a great place! DH and I were talking about it last week as we battled the crowds at the Bronx zoo! We used to love to go to the zoo in Madison, hope you enjoyed!

Rynna, I loved your breakdown theory of the growth chart...they don't make much sense at all!

Peace, beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing!

Well, I applied for a job tonight. I am trying to figure out which will be the better option for our family...I am pretty sure Iknow, but have to wait for DH to get home and lay it all out on paper. Anyway, I am looking at a job working days doing homecare. Hopefully my territory would be our neighborhood. This would be full time and would mean I would have to put Trevor and Audrey in daycare about 10 days a month. The other option would be to work nights when DH is home. I would work probably 4 nights out of the 7 that he is home this is 7pm-7am. This would suck for me, but be great for everyone else. The pay would probably equal out with the higher pay for a night job and no daycare. We will see what DH says. Oh, and the night job is in L&D which I have been missing and it might help curb my need for another baby!
#252 of 474 Old 07-14-2008, 02:47 AM

I have loads of catching up to do so here it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecore View Post
Also just taking him off the breast and setting him down can work. Sends the message that if you do that, you don't nurse. Obviously this only needs to be a very short time- you can go back to nursing once you've given it a second for the message to come across.
I totally agree with this and pushing into the breast when he bites. the instinct to pull back is strong but will cause much more tauma.

Quote:
I'm having some real body image issues right now. I have just been feeling really depressed about how I look lately. I know I'm not very big, which makes me feel guilty for even caring. But I'm having a hard time letting go of the thought that I should weight 135 lbs. I know it's stupid. I think women of all sizes are beautiful. Why can't I feel beautiful at this size? :
Me too. I am actually over 10 pounds heavier now than before giving birth! I'm so frustrated and honestly a bit depressed about the whole thing. For me it was my thyroid acting up and I think that's back in working order so I'm hoping things improve but it is really difficult to hate your own body! It has actually gotten to the point that when DH touches me or initiates intimacy I think ugg, how can he even look at me and think that, how is he attracted to me like this? It's also making it hard for me to want to be with him when I feel so gross about my body. I am lucky that I have a wonderful husband and he assures me he loves me and my body no matter what it looks like and he's supporting that with action, this is totally my issue right now.

Helen and Rynna, I love that you are both in happy body places now, that is so important and like Raina I see it in others but am struggling with myself. I hope to join you there soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoodard View Post
All you clother-diaperers... I need some advice. (
Using a fitted with your covers can decrease the bulk and there are tutorials online on how to alter your prefolds to fitteds if you have a sewing machine and want to try a couple. Also you can get free patterns for fitteds online and use everday materials to make them, such as old t-shirts and towels.

Good to see you Dea! I'm really sorry your "female isues" are still causing problems but I hope the fertility precess is as easy as possible on you!

Quote:
I hate the way my body looks right now. I am trying to get over it, but having a hard time. I am having a pity party.. sorry.
I'm sorry you're struggling too! That's awsome about your degree! I learned something new about you!

jaxinsmom, it's great to see you back! Congrats on the graduation and I loved your pics!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetobemama View Post
Have to go to sleep now because things have been so bad lately...but just had to pop in and send hugs to all and say OMG, Nellah being worn by her grandpa is the sweetest pic ever!!! Thanks for sharing, jaxinsmama.
What's so bad Emily? (I was on vacation and did a lot of skimming so I may have missed this) I hope things are better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea View Post
I forgot about mentioning baby legs for diaper bum bulk. We have many many pairs of baby legs and I love them all. Everytime I see more I need to buy them. Right now I am coveting a pink herringbone pair!
I love babylegs!! I have been making my own and I love them. I've made some longer ones for DD too. She wears them to bed with her nightgowns so her legs don't get cold. They are fun!

Andrea, I've been wondering about you lately! I'm happy to see you hear. I'm sorry to hear about your husband being gone so much more and having to go back to work. I agree that in the long run it's probably good but I'm sure it's really hard!

Quote:
I have never really felt pretty, even though I made a living by being sexy at one time. Oh, is that one of those dark secrets popping up....... crap.
Well, I'm off to call about some organic strawberries. I heard someone 40 minutes away still has some! $1.50 a quart!
Raina, you have perked my curiousity! And that is an awsome price on strawberries!!

Leah, please don't be so hard on yourself! I have been there. My dd and I struggled with thrush for, get this, 8 months!!! We both had antibiotics a week after her birth and I tried all those things too. So what ended up happening is that DD had labial adhesions. Her labia fused over her vaginal opening and our family practice doc sent us to a pediatric surgeon for a consult. He said we needed to operate to open her and he gave us extremely high doses of Diflucan. Well we didn't operate, but we did take the Diflucan. Both of us took it for 10 days. It is a fairly drastic step but I had to do it. I used to sit and nurse and cry because it hurt so bad and she was obviously having issues as well as seen by the adhesions. I have never regretted that decision because I felt like I had done everything else I could. I'm just throwing that out there are a possiblity and so you know you aren't alone in this struggle. i do strongly recommend you take probiotics as well and don't worry about the diet, it is so utterly difficult to control that way I wouldn't even try (that's just me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2-4 View Post
I guess I am just very attached to her, she has not been out of my care for more than 20 minutes since birth! I hope to start her on a cup and that way we will not have to worry about bottles.
James just had pumped milk for the first time last week on vacation (he stayed with my mom so DH and I could golf!) and I just gave him a sippy. He loved it! I figured it he hadn't wanted the sippy that he could just use a cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post
Every time I turn around I'm bring criticized for the way I dress my baby, hold my baby, play with my baby, sleep with my baby, feed my baby, gah!! Most of the things are stupid and wouldn't matter on their own if it weren't a constant litany.
yeesh! i hope she lays off!

Cicely, welcome back!!

Quote:
Does anyone have any inspiration on how to start a friendship? There's another mum with kids at my boys school who I talk to most days, though our children are different ages, and we seem to get along pretty well. I have no idea what her name is, though we talk about most stuff. How do you try and develop a friendship from here?
are you in a position to say something like, "I'm going to go grab a coffee would you like to go?" or perhaps you could simply start with "By the way I'm Helen, I don't know if I've ever introduced myself" Good luck!!!

Quote:
I got a Brazillian Bikini Wax. OUCH but I can't wait until tomorrow night and surprise DH! I am too sore tonight!
whooo hooo! that's something i'd like to do someday!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_laughing View Post
So the verdict regarding my recent health issue is that I have ovarian cysts. The best guess is that one burst and that is what brought on the intense pain.

I have such a hard time keeping her neck from being rashy. She always guards her neck from being touched and it is a fight to clean that ends with her screaming
i'm sorry about the cysts! i hope you get good news at your appt. for james we kiss his neck and he loves it. i usually get him laughing by kissing him and he relaxes his head back. I can then wipe his neck as i kiss and its so much less of an issue. i don't know if that would help or not.

nosterran is such a beautiful, yummy little guy!! thanks for the pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
i keep thinking that if i only had a best friend here in town i'd be okay
me too!! i wish we lived in the same town!

helen, i love your haircut!! you look great (before and after)!

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#253 of 474 Old 07-14-2008, 04:32 AM

Quote:
, NOS, that those three pictures are the most precious ones ever- that beautiful wedding ring quilt in the background of Chris's baby picture, and his big boy picture, and the picture of his sibling. I love that (and I'm going to get going on Lizard Ridge again for my lot) Is it family-made?
I agree tose are awesome pics!! NOS that afghan is BEAUTIfUL!!!!!!
Quote:
He

We are leaving in a few hours for vacation for the week.
Have a gerat vacation!!

Helen. LOVE the new haircut! I looks awesome!
#254 of 474 Old 07-14-2008, 11:04 AM

First, I have to say that Terran is the most adorable little guy in Northern CA, I just KNOW it!!! Holy moly!! You wanna arrange a betrothal?

Helen, I LOOOVE your hair, and by the way long or short, you're a very beautiful woman. (I did something similar myself recently, but did not take before/after pictures the only picture I have with this hair cut was taken after a morning full of hauling old concrete foundation blocks so I look very blah.).

Cicely_m!! Good to see you! I'm pretty sure the lot of us remember you! I'm very happy to see you here!:

I know there are lots more people I need to keep up with. It's hard after a weekend of beign away. (I"m lazy).

Thanks to all the mommas with your kind words on thrush. It's not the end of the world, it's just somethign that overwhelms me from time to time, today it's not such a biggie to me. Heh.

Nara's had a snotty nose the past couple of days, just clear, doesn't seem to be anything else wrong. She's a little on the fussier side (she only seemed to nap of significance when I was holding her or laying down with her). I wonder if we will see a tooth very soon. That's what mi madre and I think.

I know that I've got this uncle who's mister jokester, but he and his wife (technically my aunt, but she's like a year older than I am, so I really don't feel right calling her that), keep trying to see if Nara can have screwed up thigns like icing off cake and what not. I mean for one, if I'm limiting her solid foods until a certain age, why would I try something like HFCS infested icing? I mean I'm really far from healthy, but I'd like to start her off the best I can.

My great aunt's birthday party was last night. This woman is amazing, just turned 80 years old, has all her life been a hard worker (takes care of her brother, my great uncle who's hd severe cerebral palsy all his life). The first working woman I ever knew, hard working, very devoted, amazingly witty woman. She's 80 and still kickin!

Oh and just for fun picture of Nara when she was 4 weeks old and my mom trying out a new camera with all the flashes and what not. My favorite picture. heh!

signature currently in transition
#255 of 474 Old 07-14-2008, 11:37 AM

Awesome pic Teeny!
#256 of 474 Old 07-14-2008, 07:33 PM

Okay, I looked at all the pictures posted recently. Super cute babies, and I must agree with everyone else-- Helen, your hair looks *fantastic*. Shortly after BooBah was born, my hair was a little bit longer than it is right now (a few inches past the shoulders dry & curly, about half-way down my back wet and straight-ish). I got out of the shower one day, asked Mike for a comb and he couldn't find one... so I took the opportunity to shave myself bald (and I do mean *bald* ). What can I say? It was July, and I had a lot on my plate. I didn't want to worry about my hair. Today, I'm entirely too vain to shave myself bald... though I may start covering again, if I can find a way to afford it.

That blankie makes me desperately want to start knitting/crocheting/embroidering, Heather. *Desperately.* If only.

I need to make a costume for Body Tribal. Something that I need to shed. All I can think of is fear, or perhaps walls... but how do I go about costuming myself as fear? Or perhaps, one of you can think of something else that I really need to drop? Don't worry, I won't get offended if you're honest and civil... though if you think it might violate the UA, I'd appreciate a PM rather than a post.

#257 of 474 Old 07-14-2008, 11:15 PM

Speaking of making friends... I just got back from a meeting organized by a big local mother's group in my area for new mom's with babies 0-6 months to meet and form a playgroup, etc. About 12 new moms showed up.

This is how the meeting started... The host told us a story about how her friends from her playgroup helped her with letting her son cry it out at 5 months because he wasn't sleeping through the night yet... Then one of the new moms spoke up and told about how they found out their baby (2 months old) would cry for 7 hours when they try to CIO. They let their 2 month old cry for SEVEN hours??!?! I can't let Alex cry for 10 seconds without it breaking my heart, I can't even fathom letting him cry for 7 hours. I feel pretty disheartened about this group already, but I think I will at least give it a shot for a month or so. Maybe there's at least one or two other mom's who think more like I do. :

I sooo wish we all lived closer together so we could meet up. At least my other new mom's group is a bit better; I'm just not really connecting with many of the moms for some reason I'm lousy at making new friends too!

Cynthia

#258 of 474 Old 07-15-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
right back atcha

Haircut pictures...
sooo cute!! you're making me want to cut my hair. i had really short hair for years and then grew it out and had dreads for a couple years and just now am growing it back out. but short is so much fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by noordinaryspider View Post
This is the afghan that saved my sanity during my brief but unfortunate marriage.
it's beautiful. it reminds me of this children's story, josephina and the quilt, or something like that. it's about this girl who crosses the prairie and makes a quilt patch for each event. and when she's done she has this memory quilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2-4 View Post
Carrie, I am guilty of taking my babies out of their carseats to nurse too, but usually only in traffic jams. DH has a fit. I have learned how to nurse them while they are still in their carseats, you really have to be able to strech the ole boob out though!

Well, I applied for a job tonight. I am trying to figure out which will be the better option for our family...I am pretty sure Iknow, but have to wait for DH to get home and lay it all out on paper.
\i'm glad to hear i'm not the only one. and seriously, it's only on the 45 minute part of the trip where we are on a two lane highway and rarely see more than one or two cars. i hope your job plans work out! i have decided that i'm just not going to do it. i have a hard time with delaying gratification AND i just don't have any solid day care options right now. my mate just can.not.handle.it. and there really aren't any other options. if my mom lived here i'd work in an instant for the benefits and $$ but it's either the one day care in town or nothing, so , it's me being home. which is part of the reason we're thinking about oregon and a little bigger city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I need to make a costume for Body Tribal. Something that I need to shed. All I can think of is fear, or perhaps walls... but how do I go about costuming myself as fear?
okay, from my costuming days (i don't do that too much anymore but i did manage to dress up as the bermuda triangle, an insect (think sexy) and flora as part of a flora and fauna duo (also sexy)) i think fear would be fun. if i was going to do fear i'd do some really heavy eye make-up, maybe some kind of cape or covering with symbols and lots of dark blue, dark purple... OR you could turn the theme around and shed nothing and gain something like wings (though these days wings are overdone and also hard to do well) or wisdom... i'm not sure. my friend rebecca used to be the best at coming up with good costume ideas, she would always do the opposite of what everyone expected.

so, i'm trying to figure out how to get some cute pictures up, then i'll post. i know i have a photo account somewhere...

eh. who needs a signature?
#259 of 474 Old 07-15-2008, 02:03 AM
Dea

Quote:
Speaking of making friends... I just got back from a meeting organized by a big local mother's group in my area for new mom's with babies 0-6 months to meet and form a playgroup, etc. About 12 new moms showed up.

This is how the meeting started... The host told us a story about how her friends from her playgroup helped her with letting her son cry it out at 5 months because he wasn't sleeping through the night yet... Then one of the new moms spoke up and told about how they found out their baby (2 months old) would cry for 7 hours when they try to CIO. They let their 2 month old cry for SEVEN hours??!?! I can't let Alex cry for 10 seconds without it breaking my heart, I can't even fathom letting him cry for 7 hours. I feel pretty disheartened about this group already, but I think I will at least give it a shot for a month or so. Maybe there's at least one or two other mom's who think more like I do. :

I sooo wish we all lived closer together so we could meet up. At least my other new mom's group is a bit better; I'm just not really connecting with many of the moms for some reason I'm lousy at making new friends too!
BAH! 2 months? 7 hours!!! OMG!
I have the same kinda problem with my mother's group, which I love, but I find I have very different philosophies. I try to remind myself that we all really have the same objective, to raise happy children, it's just that we have different ways of going about it. I'm sure that they question me wearing Trixie all of the time or my decision to vax selectively. That being said, I really wish that I had more like minded Mama friends around me. It's nice to have the reassurance that I'm not totally batty for making the choices I do.

where do you live??? (if you don't mind telling.)

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)
#260 of 474 Old 07-15-2008, 02:08 AM

Hey mamas! *hugs* I've been caught in my own funk lately so I haven't been keeping up with the thread. I've missed you all and will try to catch up with everyone's lives tomorrow!

Things are ok here. I've been a bit depressed about the situation with my ds1 but it's getting better. I let him know that I love him and that I'm not mad, and let my ex know that he's welcome to petition the court for custody at any time. There's a lot of emotions pulling at me right now, and plenty of them don't even make sense, so I'm just focusing on relaxing and loving all of my kids...even when they're being unlovable. Thanks so much for the input on yahoo and personal stories. You all are the absolute best.

Peter is getting some bottom teeth - bulging but not broken through yet. His teething necklace might as well be made of cat food for all the good it's doing! He's spent most of the last two days grunting unhappily - it's a very strident sound and very different from his normal vocalizations.

Love to all!

A happy woman
#261 of 474 Old 07-15-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
I will never forget the time a woman raved about the benefits of CIO at a LLL meeting. My eyes about popped out of my head. The leader was a lot more tactful than I would have been; She just very politely and deftly changed the subject. I was just *horrified*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
okay, from my costuming days (i don't do that too much anymore but i did manage to dress up as the bermuda triangle, an insect (think sexy) and flora as part of a flora and fauna duo (also sexy)) i think fear would be fun. if i was going to do fear i'd do some really heavy eye make-up, maybe some kind of cape or covering with symbols and lots of dark blue, dark purple... OR you could turn the theme around and shed nothing and gain something like wings (though these days wings are overdone and also hard to do well) or wisdom... i'm not sure. my friend rebecca used to be the best at coming up with good costume ideas, she would always do the opposite of what everyone expected.

so, i'm trying to figure out how to get some cute pictures up, then i'll post. i know i have a photo account somewhere...
Well.. it's for the Shapeshifter's Ball, and it's "Show up in costume, leave as yourself..." So I have a feeling that everyone ends up buck naked at the end In other words, putting something on isn't really an option. I like the eye makeup... but i'm not sure i could pull it off. I mean, I can't "see" fear in my head. I tend to think in text.

#262 of 474 Old 07-15-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
They let their 2 month old cry for SEVEN hours??!?!
That poor poor baby! Makes me wanna cry!

operamommy nice to see you!

eilonwy sounds like a fun party. Sorry I cant help you with your costume Idea.

Chore Wars. I am loving it but it is also making me notice what a couple of lazy teens I have and it makes me sad that they have NO intrest in helping me out around the house. Even the chores that THEY picked for themselves. (DS taking out the garbage) (DD unloading the dishwasher) are clearly to much for them.: It is kinda starting to tick me off! I hate the way the take me for granted. I was really sick of looking at Ds dirty room. I told him I would help him clean it. I did all the cleaning.... he took off to a friends house to help him chop wood. To top it off he never thanked me! WTF?? Ideas anyone how I can get them helping a bit more? Chore wars is not working for us...
#263 of 474 Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 AM

Hey ladies ... I'm new. But, C was a February baby and I thought I'd join in the conversation. I haven't had time to read through all of the pages, but I *will* get caught up, I'm determined to!

K: Wife to C, Momma to C (2/20/08) & A (11/7/09)!
#264 of 474 Old 07-15-2008, 12:31 PM

Hi everyone!!! I know I've been total MIA for a while now, but with moving and such it was hard to get on here! Only have a sec again now but wanted to say HI and get advice since most of the babies are older than mine! Lucy isn't sleeping anymore and I don't know why....4 month regression? What did you do for it? She wakes CONSTANTLY and only used to wake 2-3 times...not like every 30-70min....

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#265 of 474 Old 07-15-2008, 12:39 PM

Hi Thislove!!! Welcome! Have fun catching up

True Blue Nice to see you again! Sorry about your sleeping problems. Ash doesn't sleep very good during the day but she is still sleeping good at night!
#266 of 474 Old 07-15-2008, 06:18 PM

hi ladies, I missed you!!

Things don't seem to let up around here, we have just got through a huge growth spurt (nursing every hour almost around the clock) so I was super sleep deprived and gardening and cleaning up and doing some side work and...........

My friend's girlfriend just had her baby. They had a sweet little girl, her name is Fenix I can't wait to meet her!!! She had a c-sec (imo got railroaded into one but I'm not going there) and is now having trouble nursing. She really wants to nurse though and she's getting some help so I am crossing my fingers!

Hi and welcome Thislove!

Jackson is rolling around everywhere, trying to crawl and has been super cranky the last couple days so I think we are on the brink of some major developmental milestone. He seems to have mastered the one-handed grab already so I'm not sure what is coming. I guess he could be teething though. It'll all become clear soon I'm sure.

Sorry I haven't been able to keep up much. I hope everyone is doing ok. Unfortunately I'm going off again this weekend, I've got an art show, so I may be mia again

Cheryl, proud mama to Jackson... and a baby on the way!
#267 of 474 Old 07-15-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, we're back. I'm having severe internet withdrawal atm, as the keyboard on our desktop (my computer) is broken and I can't get to the laptop often.

Cheryl, Jackson sounds adorable! (and so much like River it's not funny..)

TrueBlue, I have no idea. Sorry.

Welcome, Thislove!

Jezzy :

Eilonwy, I'm reading and I have visions of the Sandman here, particularly the character of Delight/Delirium. I THINK the reason that you are struggling so much right now is that you are going through such a powerful metamorphosis already and this year has been such a powerful year for you in terms of your relationship with Mike, your kids, your self, your body, money, home, EVERYTHING has been called into question and examined afresh, more or less. If you have a weakness, I'd say that your biggest weakness is your need for language, to talk, to label and to communicate verbally- and therefore, your costume must be based upon words. Either the ubiquitous ballgown made from newsprint, or something with more significance to you- and if you go for the ballgown, people could have a hell of a lot of fun removing it, if you want the help

Thanks for the compliments on the haircut, btw It made my week.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#268 of 474 Old 07-15-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Eilonwy, I'm reading and I have visions of the Sandman here, particularly the character of Delight/Delirium. I THINK the reason that you are struggling so much right now is that you are going through such a powerful metamorphosis already and this year has been such a powerful year for you in terms of your relationship with Mike, your kids, your self, your body, money, home, EVERYTHING has been called into question and examined afresh, more or less. If you have a weakness, I'd say that your biggest weakness is your need for language, to talk, to label and to communicate verbally- and therefore, your costume must be based upon words. Either the ubiquitous ballgown made from newsprint, or something with more significance to you- and if you go for the ballgown, people could have a hell of a lot of fun removing it, if you want the help
*blink* Wow. When did you get to know me so well? You're like, dead on there, huh. That's just brilliant. I could even *burn* it. And all i need is newspaper and staples... hmmm... *wanders off into the imagination*

#269 of 474 Old 07-15-2008, 07:55 PM

just really quick as DD is hungry..... could someone either re-post or PM me the link to our yahoo group? I tried to sign up a while back but never received approval (my yahoo username is different than my mdc name) and I would like to join in.

Thanks so much! :
#270 of 474 Old 07-15-2008, 07:56 PM

Rynna, just make sure you take it off before lighting it on fire! But it is a great idea! You MUST take pictures for us!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page